Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
let me pose this scenario...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 749

let me pose this scenario...

Dec 12, 2006, 9:04 AM

you are a supervisor at work of a three shift operation. each shift has a manager that reports to you. if one shift does not perform it effects the productivity of the others via a snowball effect.

one shift is falling behind.

your boss asks for an explanation. your initial response is that the shift manager needs to regroup, develop a new strategy and sort out the problems.

the next week...same story.

12 weeks later (after a quarter that left the company well below fiscal goals)

do any of you honesly think that you would still have a job if the only response you could muster was to continually pass the buck and formulate excuses while never fully taking responsibility or stepping in to correct the issues at hand? if so, please tell me where you work, i could use the easy paycheck.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like you are upset cause you didn't know that

Dec 12, 2006, 9:06 AM

TB wasn't the special teams coach.

TB is the special teams coach***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:08 AM

By that reasoning he is all the coaches.***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:18 AM

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

TB is everywhere. There is no escape***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:20 AM

Are you seriously trying to compare a....

Dec 12, 2006, 9:06 AM

3 shift operation to football?

Re: Are you seriously trying to compare a....

Dec 12, 2006, 9:08 AM

offense, defense, special teams.

too easy for you? sorry for the confusion.

We all know, the reason is

Dec 12, 2006, 9:11 AM

the factory, break room, & managers' offices need updating

;)

It's the parity machine's fault!***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:13 AM

If we're to accept your ludicrous comparison...

Dec 12, 2006, 9:16 AM

You'll have to amend the job performance.

Just before that manager opens the new fiscal year, one, then two of his star employees are severely injured and have to go on long-term disability. Still the shift manages to put together a solid first quarter, losing on ly one big order by the barest of margins.

The second quarter, that manager has his shift among the more productive in the nation, smashing the competition and getting rave reviews in Business Today and the Bull and Bear Report. Your company is being toued as an up and coming Google or Netflix.

Then, something happens. A couple more key employees become injured, and the competition begins to figure out some of the marketing tricks you've been using so effectively. The manager is having to make do with a work shift in which 10-15 percent of his top employees can't work at any given time and it's beginning to show.

The shift ends the year below expectations.

As a general manager, how do you view that shift? Do you say "well you're below expectations in the final quarter, see you later? Or do you look at the whole fiscal year, evaluate the goals during each quarter, identify the shortcomings and resolve to fix them the next year?

I can tell you which a reliable, solid company would do. But I'm guessing you really don't care to. Your agenda against the shift manager is blantant in the company e-mails you've sent and the lit bag of dog poop you've placed at his office door.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nice***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:19 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With your scenerio, what happens when the same reasons

Dec 12, 2006, 9:21 AM [ in reply to If we're to accept your ludicrous comparison... ]

are given for 7-8 years ? I think TB is GREAT person and model citizen that we should all aspire to be. However, he makes excuses for everything and has lost to weaker teams every single year he has been here and has been given two full recruiting classes, as we can see, it isn't the caliber of players he brings, he have had the personell. We get outcoached.

Re: With your scenerio, what happens when the same reasons

Dec 12, 2006, 9:25 AM

whoa TWO whole good recruiting classes. stop the presses, we should be playing for the national championship if we've had TWO classes ranked in the top 15

And they're new hires...

Dec 12, 2006, 9:28 AM

Can't wait to see them move into senior positions in the firm!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 years isn't enough ??? what then 15 ? 12 ?? where is the

Dec 12, 2006, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: With your scenerio, what happens when the same reasons ]

progress ? He makes the same mistakes EVERY year... even a hamster learns from his mistakes. How long would you have a job if you made the same mistakes every month or every job review said the same thing every year ? 2-3 years is my guess depending on how influencial you were.

You know, I've heard this a few times before...

Dec 12, 2006, 9:34 AM [ in reply to With your scenerio, what happens when the same reasons ]

...so before I let it ride this time, and become more firmly entrenched in folks subconscious, I'll stop you and ask:

How was this year the same as the previous 7?

Don't say "Because we lost to team we should have beaten." God's honest truth that happens to all but the most supremely fortunate teams year in and out. Heck, Florida came within an eyelash of losing to USC and they're in the National Title game.

Simple fact: since 2000, all of Clemson's losses only 3 were to teams that didn't end up going to bowl games that year: Wake in 2003 and 2005 and Duke in 2004. Only 6 of those losses came to teams that weren't weither ranked at the time or weren't ranked at the end of the year.

In the meantime, since 2003 (which I'll use because those were truly TB's recruits) Clemson has defeated at least one top 15 team each year. And in the past two years only 1-point losses have kept this team from a title game. Granted both of those losses were disappointing, but it is truly an indication of the nearness Clemson has of returning.

Your attitude is akin to the fellow in the desert digging for a spring to bring the desert back to life. You're a few shovels of sand away from success, but you want to drop the effort, pull up stakes and try someplace else.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great, in another 8 years, we will win 10 games look out OSU***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:37 AM

i actually like your rebuttal...

Dec 12, 2006, 9:23 AM [ in reply to If we're to accept your ludicrous comparison... ]

however it does have its faults.

Jim Grobe lost his most productive and dependable shift manager to injury...and was left to entrust the riegns of the operation to an untried, untested, inexperienced substitute. likewise, he lost his most productive operator- who was responsible for a large percentage of the prodcution. he worked with old equipment in great need of repair without the financial backing our company enjoys and all he did this year in the midst of this adversity is grab the lions share of the market and produce at a level seen only once before in his company's history.

good try.

So you still want to fire the guy because there's ONE

Dec 12, 2006, 9:25 AM

instance of another company performing better under similar adversity? Oh, and let's not forget - we beat that company head-to-head at their place.

Jeez, I'd hate to work for you (not like that would ever happen).

no, i want to fire him

Dec 12, 2006, 9:28 AM

because he's an 8 and 4 kind of guy. and that's all he'll EVER be.

just wait. two years from now (undoubtedly at 8-4) this conversation will still be happening...

But under your company charter....

Dec 12, 2006, 10:16 AM [ in reply to i actually like your rebuttal... ]

...Jim Grobe would never have been around for his breakout production year.

He'd have been kicked to the curb with the surplus Furbees after year 3.

Now THAT'S some serious ownage***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:23 AM [ in reply to If we're to accept your ludicrous comparison... ]

PWNED!!!!!!!***

Dec 12, 2006, 9:27 AM [ in reply to If we're to accept your ludicrous comparison... ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Further complicating things is the way the oldest employee,

Dec 12, 2006, 9:47 AM [ in reply to If we're to accept your ludicrous comparison... ]

the one that had been through all the battles, was terminated - just prior to landing the last big, year-making type account. But who needs him, statistics read in the last Business World told the boss that the young guns get it done in today's world. ;)

maybe if the guy that took his place was married and

Dec 12, 2006, 9:51 AM

had a kid it would have helped ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: let me pose this scenario...

Dec 12, 2006, 9:22 AM

I bet you are real good at flipping those fries......that is the only scenario you are qualified to analyze.

Screw Oil, burn Lungers

That supervisor has a boss that makes those decisions based

Dec 12, 2006, 9:52 AM

on his expectations and not the expectations of others. Would you want the people on this board setting your goals for you and have your future depend on it?

You're FIRED.... Leave teh board immediately***

Dec 12, 2006, 10:02 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Replies: 27
| visibility 749
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic