Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did Tony Barnhardt have a preseason FB poll yesterday?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Did Tony Barnhardt have a preseason FB poll yesterday?

May 3, 2004, 5:34 AM

I heard he had Clemson ranked 12th!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a C&P from the AJC

May 3, 2004, 6:39 AM

Team 2003 record Comment First game
1. Southern Cal 12-1 Mike Williams is gone, but Trojans can still defend national title Aug. 28 vs. Virginia Tech
2. Georgia 11-3 Dawgs have all the answers with Greene, Pollack, and Gibson Sept. 4 vs. Georgia Southern
3. Oklahoma 12-2 Sooners still loaded on defense; Heisman QB White returns Sept. 4 vs. Bowling Green
4. Texas 10-3 Veteran coaches Greg Robinson, #### Tomey revamp defense Sept. 4 vs. North Texas
5. LSU 13-1 Tigers miss Mauck, Clayton, but will win SEC West with running, great defense Sept. 4 vs. Oregon State
6. Miami 11-2 Will replace six first-round draft choices and still win the ACC title Sept. 6 vs. Florida State
7. Michigan 10-3 Wolverines lose Perry and Navarre but may have nation's best receivers Sept. 4 vs. Miami (Ohio)
8. Florida State 10-3 Offense is explosive; Seminoles have enough talent to rebuild defense Sept. 6 at Miami
9. TCU 11-2 Despite losses on defense, the Horned Frogs will win Conference USA Sept. 2 vs. Northwestern
10. West Virginia 8-5 Mountaineers will win the Big East with one of the nation's best offenses Sept. 4 vs. East Carolina
11. Ohio State 11-2 Buckeyes get Michigan at home; some work to do on OL and DL Sept. 4 vs. Cincinnati
12. Clemson 9-4 Tigers will keep it going after finishing strong; QB Whitehurst has big year Sept. 4 vs. Wake Forest
13. Florida 8-5 Chris Leak grows up, becomes a big-time QB; Sept. 18 game at Tenn. crucial Sept. 4 vs. Middle Tenn. St.
14. Kansas State 11-4 Ell Roberson is gone, but Darren Sproles leads Wildcats to Big 12 North title Sept. 4 vs. Western Kentucky
15. Tennessee 10-3 Volunteers must find a quarterback who can make plays in the clutch Sept. 4 vs. UNLV
16. Minnesota 10-3 If they find a quarterback, Gophers will be the surprise team in the Big Ten Sept. 4 vs. Toledo
17. Maryland 10-3 If Ralph Friedgen develops a QB (and he will) Terps could be rated higher Sept. 4 vs. Northern Illinois
18. Virginia 8-5 Cavaliers will miss Matt Schaub, but will compensate with a great defense Sept. 4 at Temple
19. Utah 10-2 Will win Mountain West again with coach Urban Meyer, 15 returning starters Sept. 2 vs. Texas A&M
20. California 8-6 Bears were the only team to beat USC last season. Will finish second in Pac-10 Sept. 4 at Air Force
21. Auburn 8-5 If Tigers can fill defensive holes, they could challenge LSU in SEC West Sept. 4 vs. Louisiana-Monroe
22. Iowa 10-3 Hawkeyes must replace a ton of offensive talent, but will again be solid Sept. 4 vs. Kent State
23. N.C. State 8-5 Philip Rivers gone, but if RB T.A. McClendon stays healthy, Pack will go bowling Sept. 4 vs. Richmond
24. Nebraska 10-3 Huskers begin to reconstruct their image under new coach Bill Callahan Sept. 4 vs. Western Illinios
25. Missouri 8-5 As long as the Tigers have versatile QB Brad Smith they have a chance Sept. 4 vs. Arkansas State

Maryland and Virginia have beaten West Virginia

May 3, 2004, 7:12 AM

by the scores 48-17, 34-7, 41-7, and 48-22 over the last two years, but during those seasons both haves found them selves ranked lower than WVA, with the same or fewer losses. It took Maryland beating West Virginia two times in the same season in 2003 (34-7 in game four, then 41-7 in the bowl) to finally get ranked above them. Now here is another preseason poll with West Virginia once again ranked ahead of both Marland and Virginia. Amazing to me. Maybe Virginia with losing Schaub, but not Maryland too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

keep your fingers crossed

May 3, 2004, 7:12 AM [ in reply to Here's a C&P from the AJC ]

and hope that UGA performs like the over-hyped AU Tigers of 2003. You can only hope.

Willmo®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I understand your feelings, but it isn't likely...

May 3, 2004, 8:08 AM

the two situations are very different. AU was hyped with little justification, no recent history of high levels of success, an inconsistent QB (VERY important), and a reliance on being extremely strong at a couple of positions. They totally ignored the detrimental impact of new coordinators, as well.

UGA, on the other hand, managed an 11-3 season with a brand new OL, tons of injuries prior to and throughout the season, and brand new stable of running backs and linebackers. This year, they have a strong coaching staff, a proven and solid QB, leadership used to winning consistently, etc.

With that said, UGA could underperform (especially if the DL or OL take a lot of injuries), but it's very likely that they'll at least play for the SEC title this year. In 2000 (high expectations under Donnan), I was nervous that we'd not work hard and buckle, which we did. I feel confident in Richt, his staff, and the player leadership that we won't have a repeat of that embarrassing performance.

I agree with you

May 3, 2004, 8:37 AM

UGa did an exceptional job after losing almost their entire O line. Guess I was suprised at the outcome of our game with them last year for this reason alone. Did not hurt to have Greene, Pollock, Gibson...etc. though.
That being said I do have to express something that puzzles me to this day. I am assuming you are a UGa fan? After watching the first UGa/LSU game from Baton Rouge I took UGa as a favorite to win in Atlanta. During the first game I noticed that Greene repeatedly "looked receivers down"
thus giving LSU and their blazing speed time to blanket every receiver thrown to. When the Atlanta showdown took place my thought process was "Greene will have learned from the first game and "look off defenders and have MANY more open receivers to hit. Good qbs do as such. Instead I watched in utter stupor as Greene repeated the same performance that took place in Baton Rouge only this time it was on artificial turf giving LSU even MORE of an advantage.
Did you feel the same thing happened?

p.s. sorry it is such a long post :)

I didn't get to see either game, but...

May 3, 2004, 9:38 AM

if you say he did, then I believe you. I know that he said they sent so many people that he almost never had time to get a pass off, even when they left a guy uncovered. All I can guess is that it was a "boom or bust" strategy. If the guy he was locked onto was open, then he would have a chance for a big play. If not, it was almost certainly a sack or batted ball. I'm just guessing, though. Certainly, CMR has a rep for developing QB's and I'm sure he understands "looking off" the defenders AND he has a high level of respect for DG's abilities as a QB, so I would think this was due to LSU's D and not a flaw you'd normally find in DG's game. What do you think?

LSU absolutely....

May 3, 2004, 10:15 AM

Had the advantage with team speed. DG did have guys in his face often. Still, I expected for more misdirection out of UGa to offset that speed. I thought that we would see a lot of quick hitting plays as well. The game plan though looked the same to me.
When i saw the Rose Bowl I thought that I was seeing the best and FASTEST team in the country. I was duped. USC must have looked so much faster because they were facing a Michigan team which sticks to it's "power game". LSU was the fastest team in CFB. I think in hindsight I just underestimated them.

IIRC...

May 3, 2004, 4:22 PM

In the first UGA/LSU game, Georgia went up and down the field in the first half and kept missing field goals and shooting themselves in the foot. They fumbled inside LSU's 10 on 1 possession.

The main problem their offense had was their running backs could not pick up the blitz.

Since we don't play UGA, I could care less what they do

May 3, 2004, 8:08 AM [ in reply to keep your fingers crossed ]

I'd rather see Miami or FSU be overrated, ya know?

“They are so gracious. You go to Philadelphia and a team’s playing poorly, they don’t leave. They stay and let you have it. Here at South Carolina they get up and file out.”

Former UCS AD Mike McGee on Gamecock Fans

You wouldn't think that way

May 3, 2004, 8:26 AM

if you were always around UGA fans like I am. Also, my hatred goes back to the 80's when the Clemson-UGA game was bigger or as big as the SC game.

Willmo®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Got ya. Although the UGA game was NEVER bigger

May 3, 2004, 9:37 AM

than the UCS game, IMO. But, if I lived around Dogs I would certainly understand your distaste.

“They are so gracious. You go to Philadelphia and a team’s playing poorly, they don’t leave. They stay and let you have it. Here at South Carolina they get up and file out.”

Former UCS AD Mike McGee on Gamecock Fans

So, on the new site, when "D i c k" is used as a name it

May 3, 2004, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Here's a C&P from the AJC ]

automatically blocks it out? D-i-c-k Tomey is the name that goes with a Texas coaching change - one of the veterans.

Thanks for posting that, It sucks having to pay

May 3, 2004, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Here's a C&P from the AJC ]

to get most of the stuff off the AJC sit now.

Well, it's still free, but it is a pain. So I did a C&P :)***

May 3, 2004, 1:01 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic