Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gamecock spirit versus Tiger Spirit.Well if finally happened
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Gamecock spirit versus Tiger Spirit.Well if finally happened

Jun 21, 2006, 11:51 PM

I blew up on a coot tonight and it happened to be my wife's idiot gamecoot nephew. Twice now since our loss last evening someone has called my house to rub it in. Good thing I didn't take the first phone call. It was a preachers son who is grown, but a typical chicken idiot. Both times the coot caller started with "How 'bout dem Tigers"(Grammar usually is a quick indicator of allegiance in this state.)

I didn't take the phone call last night. I was at baseball practice with a dixie majors(15-19) team that I coach. I saw that pea-brained idiot at church Sunday night, went up to him, put my arm around him, asked him how his new job was going and generally tried to encourage him. I never one time mentioned baseball or coots or Tigers. I never do in church. Someone else has to bring it up before I'll even mention it. But he really showed his lack of brains and class last night and then his sister did the same thing to my wife and kids tonight at vacation Bible school.

Well guess what, boys and girls. I've just about had enough. The gloves are coming off. People on this board that know me know that I care a lot more about our teams and coaches than wins and losses. I'm personally involved in some of their lives and call many of them my friends. I don't think it's the least bit funny when anybody snickers at their difficulties on or off the field.

Well I ripped the old nephew a new one tonight. I pointed out to him that I NEVER called him to rub it in after any of South Carolina's numerous strategic failures nor would I ever. I have too much class for that.

But I hope we make the 63-17 game an easy memory for them this fall. I really think we are going to beat the daylights out of them. And I will enjoy every minute of it.

Even if I have to repent later.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read this people. This is hall of fame stuff right here.***

Jun 21, 2006, 11:56 PM

If you grew up in BHP, that explains it. I have relatives

Jun 22, 2006, 12:05 AM

there, and its a different world. Tigers and Gamecocks go at each other everywhere, but there is normally (I said normally) an undercurrent of civility and humanity about it. Not in BHP. One grows up from birth on one side or the other, and the feud is on every day. The majority seem to be Gamecocks, but I could be wrong about that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did. But my wife and family are from Summerville area and

Jun 22, 2006, 12:11 AM

the preachers brat is a military kid with no real home. I felt sorry for him.....till last night.

B-HP is about 50-50. But even though I'm from there, I must say that anywhere the percentage of rednecks is higher than average, the percentage of gamecoots will also be higher.

Tigerpreacherman you really should look at this

Jun 22, 2006, 12:41 AM

situation and be a bit ashamed. I'm not trying to preach to you on any means. However, if anything such as a USC-Clemson rivalry could make you lose your cool to your parishoners is scary. One simple blowup like that and you could lose all the credibility you have when preaching to them.

Oh btw all the rednecks I knew from BHP(I grew up next door basically as I am a Crescent Alum) were all Clemson fans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nancy post***

Jun 22, 2006, 12:54 AM

You said it better than I did. Brevity is the soul of wit.***

Jun 22, 2006, 1:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His post said nothing like that. First, I understand your

Jun 22, 2006, 1:06 AM [ in reply to Tigerpreacherman you really should look at this ]

defensiveness about the word redneck. To CU/USC fans a redneck is anyone who will wear orange as clothing or anyone who will wear a ball cap backwards with the word "#####" on his forehead, depending on whose side one is on. Both sides use the word simply to describe the other. Parenthetically, orange as clothing is a matter of taste and spirit, and dozens of fine universities do it, while "#####" on clothing is just plain, well, redneck. But I take your point.

But as to the post, he went off one-on-one to a relative who acted disrespectfully toward him. Why you think his professional status would make that wrong I don't understand. Is there any behavior that is OK for a non clergyman that is not OK for clergy? If its OK for me to call out a guy individually who is being a jerk to me, is it not OK for a clergy to do it to a relative?

I will accept your answer that a clergy should accept such behavior "for the greater good", if you will agree to engage in the then resulting discussion of what behavior is expected of any of us, and what recourse we have when our character exposes our need to be ashamed, as you said my friend should be.

If I was from Crescent, I don't think I would call anyone a

Jun 22, 2006, 2:13 AM [ in reply to Tigerpreacherman you really should look at this ]

redneck.

And none of the above are my "parishoners"

Wouldn't make any difference if they were. I'm the same in the pulpit as out. Being a Christian doesn't mean you have to stand in traffic and be run over.

Believe that if you will, but

Jun 22, 2006, 9:50 AM

you are held to a higher standard than the average person. From what I've seen in your posts and your personal stories, i'm certainly glad you're not my preacher.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I'm glad you are not one of my members.***

Jun 22, 2006, 12:47 PM

You're worse than a gnat, but anyway...................

Jun 22, 2006, 5:51 AM [ in reply to Tigerpreacherman you really should look at this ]

I don't see any reason my friend should be ashamed of his post. And as for him losing his credibility, well trust me he isn't in any danger of that and has a lot more of it than you do!

Like tigerpreacherman I rarely say anything to a USuC fan until they start spewing off at the mouth. Though there are ample opportunities. Usually the only chance you get to brag is vicariously through someone else. You know it must really suck to be someone's biatch!

BTW I went to BHP and I dare say I have much more class than you. But then again what can I expect from a Cresent grad/USuC fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May God have mercy on your soul***

Jun 22, 2006, 6:00 AM [ in reply to Tigerpreacherman you really should look at this ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

A sheppard is supposed to lead his sheep...

Jun 22, 2006, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Tigerpreacherman you really should look at this ]

even the ones who are stupider than a box of used condoms.

Sometimes that means being honest with them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...a Crescent alum calling people from BHP rednecks.

Jun 22, 2006, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Tigerpreacherman you really should look at this ]

Pot...this is kettle...you're black.

The fact that you are from the Starr/Iva area explains a lot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Funny you'd make fun of the Starr/Iva area

Jun 22, 2006, 9:50 AM

when the entire area is Clemson Fans.

"The entire area is Clemson fans."

Jun 22, 2006, 11:56 AM

"The entire area is Clemson fans."

Sigh... thank sweet Jesus you aren't one.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

HOF***

Jun 22, 2006, 12:53 AM

Exactly! Tiger Spirit thrives on its own merit...

Jun 22, 2006, 5:48 AM

...not on the inability of others.

Somewhere, this notion of "we have to smear USC's misfortune in their feathered faces" has crept into the equation. Well, folks we don't. After all, we have succes to enjoy.

A Clemson man has no need to savor misery. There's nothing uplifting about mocking an inferior in his failure.

We truly are better than that.

And everytime someone says "Haaaa-haaa! Enjoy that loss to (whoever else is whipping the Chickens)" they drop from Tiger spirit to Coot veniality.

For me to be happy in the world of sports, I need only Clemson victory. Everything else is gravy on a chicken dinner.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The very last friend I had who was a Coot fan... talked

Jun 22, 2006, 7:54 AM

trash to me at my Grandmother's funeral.

Needless to say I HAVE no more Coot friends, nor will I ever.

I hope one day the Center for Disease Control, some pharmacutical company or Dr. Kervorkian find a cure for 'Gamecock'... but until then, screw them all to hail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think its funny when folks snicker at the

Jun 22, 2006, 8:51 AM

difficulties of our kids on or off the field either, but people do it all the time, on and off this board. It's the nature of the rivalry, and you just have to learn to have thick skin, walk away, or not associate with those types of folks.

Pretty shocking notion there Rowdy. :-)***

Jun 22, 2006, 9:01 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Against each other, agreed....

Jun 22, 2006, 9:05 AM [ in reply to I don't think its funny when folks snicker at the ]

but the notion that our losing to CSF, or your losing to Missouri, somehow validates the support of our respective schools detracts from a good head-to-head hatred.

I'd reserve gleeful gloating in the case of mismatch losees (such as us falling to Furman in baseball or y'alls tumble to Wofford) but the nature of the rivalry really doesn't require bringing others in toe the street brawl.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure I understand what your point is.***

Jun 22, 2006, 9:14 AM

There seems to be a lot you don't understand. LOL***

Jun 22, 2006, 12:49 PM

I understand that a

Jun 22, 2006, 12:56 PM

guy calling himself "tigerpreacherman" once called a poster a "###### coot" and now tells me he blew up at someone due to some ribbing over a friggin' game.

That's about all i need to understand.

point***

Jun 22, 2006, 12:57 PM

two!!!******

Jun 22, 2006, 12:57 PM

after all, showing such gross ignorance of another human being simply because of the institution where he or she received his or her degree ranks among the same ignorance of judging a person by the color of hisor skin, judging him or her by nationality, or judging the person by his or her economic upbringing.

while it's certainly honorable to be proud of your alma mater, it's naive and childish to think that every person of another school is "redneck" or "stupid" or "white trash."
- catahoula

good grief....grow up and realize that everyone is human.***

Jun 23, 2006, 11:45 PM [ in reply to I understand that a ]

Sorry, Rowdy, I lost track of this one....

Jun 22, 2006, 1:01 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure I understand what your point is.*** ]

I guess my point is that the general dislike of USC and Clemson folks is diluted and made more mean-spirited when fans start adding weight to games that the other rival has no say in.

For example, when we lost to CSF and Chicken fans used the opportunity to elevate their own self-worth or mock Clemson, it's a specious act.

When y'all lost to JawJaw in baseball, Tigers who use that as a reason to mock would do well to remember that we didn't exactly set the woods on fire agianst the Dawgs either.

Aside from obvious embarrassments (us vs. Duke in 2004, y'all vs. Navy in 84, etc.) the meat of our banter should stay focused on the games we play with each other.

That clears it up, and I would probably

Jun 22, 2017, 12:50 PM

agree with that Rev.

No flame was intended, i just truly didn't understand what you meant. Thx.

None taken...I'm on cold medication this week...

Jun 22, 2006, 1:05 PM

...and English is a second language.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic