Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Handling Clemson wins and Gamecock losses.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Handling Clemson wins and Gamecock losses.

Jun 13, 2006, 10:04 AM

I have some opinions I'm about to share with y'all. Now, I know you're already riveted, but take a moment and grab you something to drink or whatever. Ready? Okay.

Let's establish one premise up front. I don't like Gamecocks. I don't like them on principle, they're our rival, and I firmly believe they should never win another game in anything ever ever ever.

I was overly pleased last night that Georgia beat USC and kept them from the CWS. I want no success for South Carolina. They are our rival. As a lifelong resident of Columbia and its suburbs, it's natural for me to feel that way.

That being said, those of you that took the time to call your USC rivals last night, or post about them this morning, are acting much like they do when Clemson loses to another ACC opponent. You don't go on and brag about what another team did. We took them 3-1, and we're going to the CWS. THAT'S what you brag about.

You brag about Clemson's accomplishments. You laugh with your Clemson buddies about USC not going to the CWS. You double over in pain laughing so hard about 0-21. (Hang on.....)

Okay, I'm back.

We ARE Clemson, and we ARE better than that - but only if you act like it. When Oral Roberts left the field on Saturday, there were about 200 Clemson folks giving them a standing ovation as they walked by. Granted, that was Oral Roberts and not USC.

The key here is to wait for THEM to start their stuff. Remember, there's never been a USC defeat that shut them up, so it's not like you lose any opportunities here.

The venom around here just sucks out loud sometimes. I don't think I'm making my point well, but let's try and class this place back up a little bit, huh?

You can make jabs without being nasty. With USC, it's not even necessary - you've got all the facts in the world on your side.

Just read my signature.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Handling Clemson wins and Gamecock losses.

Jun 13, 2006, 10:16 AM

Classy post. Point for you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About that sig...

Jun 13, 2006, 10:17 AM

Might as well include them all, lol

An important reminder for all trash-talking coots: That's football, basketball, baseball, soccer, golf, men's tennis, and volleyball. Shut it.

Did I leave any out??? ;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SAT scores.

Jun 13, 2006, 10:24 AM

;)

they are good in women's track***

Jun 13, 2006, 10:26 AM [ in reply to About that sig... ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

Yeah, and I bet you don't want us to boo the opposing team

Jun 13, 2006, 10:24 AM

when they run on the field. That's sports. I have a lot of Gamecock friends. I never call them up and rub it in. But, this is Clemson Board and I feel I can say what ever I would say to my Clemson cohorts, within reason.

The sign says "Clemson Welcomes You to Death Valley."

Jun 13, 2006, 10:53 AM

So no, I really don't care for people booing the other team when they come in. I'll get over it, though.

As for your comment about "that's sports" - I couldn't disagree more.

And hey - you wanna come in on a Clemson board and trash the coots - I'm not making any argument against that. But we have some house coots around that aren't deserving of some of the rudeness they get just because they're Gamecock fans. Some of them are, and I concede that. What goes around, comes around.

My in-laws are Gamecocks, and a nicer bunch of folks it would be hard to find. So I start NOTHING with them. The ones you continue to give me crap all year long even though we OWN them - well they tend to hear it from me in full volume. But not when Georgia beats them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll agree with some of that, but it just seems un-American

Jun 13, 2006, 11:04 AM

not to boo the opposing team when they run on the field. I never and I mean never direct my comments at a game towards an opponent s fans or players in any way that is inflammatory. I always try to just yell for my team. I will admit that in the 63-17 slaying, when a Gamecock, as he was leaving just as we went up 21-0, and we started our 1,2,3,4 cheer..the Gamecock says " So I see you finally learned how to spell Clemson" and I replied " Yes sir, and if you will stick around for another quarter, you will learn how to spell it too!".

I never grew up learning to boo opponents.

Jun 13, 2006, 11:06 AM

As for the rest of what you said - that's funny. :)

It's just that I've always thought there was a time and a place for stuff, and there are folks on this board that just attack, attack, attack with no thought as to what they are doing or saying. It's juvenile and embarassing.

me neither on the booing thing...

Jun 13, 2006, 11:07 AM

the one time I tried it when I was a young kid and a visiting team ran out (maybe even the Coots), I got a lecture from my grandfather on it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no real harm in booing, but it sets the slope...

Jun 13, 2006, 11:08 AM [ in reply to I never grew up learning to boo opponents. ]

...next thing you know, your fan base thinks it's clever to yell "You Suck!" at opponents.

And those who don't think it could happen need only to look at NC State.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Allright, I'll just try to boo softly next time.***

Jun 13, 2006, 11:14 AM

I always found cold indifference works better...

Jun 13, 2006, 11:18 AM

plus it saves my voice for the game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like the ORU introductions on Friday...

Jun 13, 2006, 11:21 AM

Absolute dead silence. Nobody knew or cared who they were. Didn't acknowledge them enough to boo them.

If we played them next year, though, I have a feeling that they would have probably "earned" that reception. If we never play those guys again, it'll be too soon. And I mean that with all respect.

GREAT comeback ! I sometimes yelled - "Come back when

Jun 13, 2006, 11:13 AM [ in reply to I'll agree with some of that, but it just seems un-American ]

ya'll can stay longer."

That didn't go over too well.

Well, as a matter of fact....

Jun 13, 2006, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Yeah, and I bet you don't want us to boo the opposing team ]

What part of representing Clemson is enhanced by booing an opponent?

Use the energy to support the Tigers and everyone comes out ahead. then you can shake hands with an opponent after the game without hypocrisy.

Greater Irmo Met. Area? That would be NW Columbia***

Jun 13, 2006, 10:34 AM

One of the things that has always perplexed me....

Jun 13, 2006, 10:37 AM

...is how many of our folks deride coot fans (as opposed to the decent Gamecocks purported to be around somewhere) then proceed to act like the cootiest coots, blithelyunaware of the irony that oozes from them.

Want to laugh at Coot fans? Have at 'em. But Lord, don't act like 'em at the same time.

The saving grace to me is that the beavior seems limited to interaction with Coots. But how far a fall will it be to other rivals?

I've always felt what places Clemson fans above others is our ability to enjoy our own success, rather than revel in the misery of others. I'd just as soon keep it that way.

So, let the annual trampling of the Gamecock carcass continue to the end of the day, then let it's feather remains be washed away by Alberto.

Come Wednesday, let's all be focused on the business at hand - Omaha.

Rev, I will say things to Clemson fans that I would never

Jun 13, 2006, 11:10 AM

say to opposing fans as I'm sure all fans do. And, some Coots that come on here are probably great guys, but I don't know them personally, so I might egg them on a little. But I have never posted on a Gamecock board. If they want to come here and get abused, that is their perrogative. I don't think I have ever said anything on here that is uncalled for or inappropriate. If I have , I apologize to all offended.

Spud, I do not doubt your devotion to Clemson...

Jun 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

...and like you, I tend to be more, shall we say, zealous in the quick dispatching of coot-esque folks on here than in the real world. Folks who come in here looking for trouble should get the boot, or the pitchfork in haste.

Yet we need only glance around on our board to see creeping coot-ism among our own. And their excuse that "Well, USC fans would do the same thing to us if we had lost" evokes no sympathy from me.

We aren't Coots; we're Clemson. Since when do our people need to rely on the egregiously low bar set my Coots for behavior standards?

I've been called to task a few times for low blows, apologized and tried to stay above the curve. As a Clemson fan, it's what we're called to do. We are to see how high we can stay, not how low we can sink.

Rev - you are on a role. BRING IT BROTHER ! We hear you

Jun 13, 2006, 11:23 AM

and the choir is nodding approval . . . we need Tiger Rag and pass the plate cuz you are on FIRE ! ! !

And as a related aside, I'd like a add a big AMEN.

Somebody c&p this to the top every morning, at lunch and then one last time for the night crowd. Seriously.

"enjoy our own success, rather than revel in the misery of

Jun 13, 2006, 11:11 AM [ in reply to One of the things that has always perplexed me.... ]

others" . . .

THAT should be a defining, tangible aspect of being Clemson

THAT should be ONE of the things that goes out as PROOF, as a definition of that thing in our heart that says Clemson is unique, different, "hard to put a finger on, but it is a SPECIAL place", though process.

THAT should be a thing that IS a part of sport at Clemson, which is contrary to what is IN SPORTS everywhere else.

Yell, scream, get the rally smoke going, cheer, STAND UP THE WHOLE GAME . . . do it all . . . with a sense of who we are and in a way that exemplifies our success and heritage.

And let the coots be coots.

There are only so many times....

Jun 13, 2006, 11:23 AM

I can say sorry and still mean it. ;)

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic