Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Fitting End (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

A Fitting End (long)

Nov 23, 2005, 9:29 AM

Sitting in a suite in perhaps one of the fanciest resorts in America and enjoying a year's job well done on the company’s nickel, I took a three hours’ break from paradise to honker down in front of my laptop computer and watch the Clemson – USC game on ESPN Gameplan Online. With a fuzzy pixelized image that would hide the ball as it flew from QB to receiver, I watched and listened as the game unfolded.

Fast forward to the last few minutes. Penalty, penalty. Looking bleak. First and 35. Charlie shows the world who Charlie really is – a real NFL prospect that will be starting on Sundays. Carolina fans cannot believe their eyes. Dejavu all over again. James Davis breaks tackles. Davis in the endzone. Time running out. Interception Clemson, fumble Clemson, Carolina ball. ESPN announcer quotes Spurrier saying (and I'm paraphrasing) God has been shinning on them all year. Not a religious zealot, I still didn’t quite like the association. Interception Clemson. Clemson ball. Maybe God didn’t like the association either. Third and nine. Flashback Georgia Tech 2004 (the default “meltdown” memory). Charlie takes the snap, bursts through the line of scrimmage, trips over our own guy, recovers, busts through the first down line. Pandemonium. He points to the sky. Tommy celebrates, points at Charlie and gestures “This is yours. You did it. You’re the man.” Victory formation. Game over. “Wait ‘til next year.” “Wait ‘til he gets his own guys in.”

I don’t know what it was this year, but I wanted to beat them more than ever. Maybe being so sick of watching a team’s tarnished identity be cosmetically altered by the media. The loser and cheating (they are on probation – hard to find news on this anymore) USC Gamecocks quickly became Spurrier’s Gamecocks. “Spurrier beats Tennessee.” “Spurrier beats Florida.” Who could forget the classic “Touchdown Spurrier” on the first touchdown of the season against UCF as announced by ESPN's prettyboy Herbstreet? Spurrier this and Spurrier that. Maybe I missed it, but did he play a down? Did he toss a ball? I guess I was too busy watching the Clemson games to notice. I may be wrong.

The worst part – the fans bought into the team’s new identity (as they often do – you’d think by now they had grown out of this pathetic trend). “We now have Spurrier. You’ll never beat us again.” Anyone remember the spur bracelets (or whatever they were) that were on sale? Pass the kool-aid. I remember the same being said about lovely Lou (whom they now hate) some years ago.

For the most part, I’ve never seen or heard a “cockier” (how fitting) bunch of fans. This is perhaps the only football program that boasts glory and success and that has never experienced either. Their conference record is pathetic. Their post-season participation is pathetic. Their rivalry record is pathetic. Recommended read: "This is South Carolina Football." At least (as much as I hate them) a team like UGA can be arrogant and annoying – they have that right – they are good and have been good. The Gamecocks suck and they have nothing to back up their delusions of grandeur.

In closing (since I’ve obviously gotten carried away), there is no better, more fitting ending for Charlie Whitehurst’s regular season career in Clemson. The first perfect QB in over 100 years of this rivalry, dealt the final blow on his feet. More importantly, he led the team from a first and 35 that seemed insurmountable. There is also no better end to James Davis’ first year in orange. This kid is one of the classiest (watch him score a touchdown and hand the ball over to the refs), most team oriented and committed (read about his encouragements in the locker room during half times, and his quotes after games, "Give me the rock"), most talented (note his multiple weekly awards all year long and his outstanding performance on the field) players I’ve seen in Clemson. We have a real stud in this guy. The future is indeed bright.

And although we can look back at the close losses and play the “What if” game, I say let’s be proud of one of the most impressive teams of recent years (not how many we won, but how we won them and how hard we played the tough ones we lost). Remember, new O and D coaches, young talent, and complicated schemes. We’ll be alright. The foundation is strong, the future is bright, and the desirable recruits are realizing it.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Fitting End (long)

Nov 23, 2005, 9:34 AM

Well said, Tigerprep.

Nov 23, 2005, 9:37 AM

Well said. One minor quibble..IIRC it was Tirico not Herby with the touchdown spurrier embarrassment.

Do me a favor and save this post for the next time all the

Nov 23, 2005, 9:38 AM

Tommy Bashers/"This Is the End of Tiger Football" posters out there flip out all over the place.

lol

Amen.***

Nov 23, 2005, 9:38 AM

I wanted this one like you

Nov 23, 2005, 9:41 AM

I wanted to see them stop this media induced Spurrier hype. Yea when they win one they can all smile and talk but thsi winter they have nothing to say. We took their best shot in many years and turned them away- vanquished once again on their "home" field.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2005, 9:51 AM

nice post! well said! cant believe the regular season is over!

Post of the Week.***

Nov 23, 2005, 9:51 AM

Well said, I too think this is the best team Clemson has had

Nov 23, 2005, 10:07 AM

in a long time (14-15 yrs)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post. I have not seen anyone

Nov 23, 2005, 10:14 AM

mention it since Saturday night, but I want to quote our new DC Vic Koenning on the postgame show Satdy: "I just hope our fans realize what a great coach Tommy is. He is something special." Now, I know that some of the posters on here think they know football and think they know coaching, but I say let's leave the final analysis to someone who makes his living on the sideline each week. He ought to be a pretty good evaluator of "talent"- players and coaches. Go Tommy, Go Tigers, and may God Bless America.

I wanted this one more than most, too!! Great post.*****

Nov 23, 2005, 10:27 AM

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic