Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coby's Commentary: Very Encouraging Sight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Coby's Commentary: Very Encouraging Sight

Sep 27, 2005, 1:46 PM

Well, in light of all that is going on in our world today with athletes being bigger than life and hurricanes being bigger than athletes, I saw something today that really led me to believe that we might just be alright. Sure, we may have lost the last two in overtime, and sure, the debate may rage on about Rob Spence, but for a moment today, I forgot about all of that.

As I was walking to class, 5 minutes late mind you, I saw a group of about 100 kids, ages 8-10, standing outside of Schiletter dining hall. This in itself would not be a story if not for what happened next. Some of these students were gifted, some of these students were slow. Some loved Clemson, and some had probably never heard of the place. I have no idea where these youngsters came from or why they were here, but many of them got the thrill that all young kids love. This spot, I will have you know, is a favorite gathering spot of Clemson athletes, as it is right between the dining hall and Vickery Hall. I heard a teacher say to the kids, "Maybe we can all meet a football player." The kids cheered, but there were no football players to be found. Just as the group(100 strong remember) started to walk away, I noticed Anthony Waters coming towards them. He approached the teacher, asked if he could talk to them, and proceded to stand there and sign every autograph. He wasn't in uniform, and no one would have ever known if he had just walked on by without ever saying anything, but he chose to be different. He chose to be a Tiger.

I watched Waters sign autographs of at least 50 kids, and he was still at it as I left. One asked for his dew rag, and he kindly obliged. He appeared to be worn out from classes, hurting from a shoulder ailment, and on his way to treatment and practice, but for about 10 minutes, he too, forgot about all that made these kids day.

In a time where athletes are becoming more and more self-centered, self-absorbed, and unreliable, this guy is different. Its refreshing to see that we are getting these types of guys. Waters makes some special plays on the field, but he remembers being a kid, coming from a terribly small school and a little town. He remembers being that little kid, who looked up to the Saturday stars. It was nice to see this today, and it made me think that we really could be ok. In the big scheme of things, does it really matter how far downfield we looked on Saturday? We're recruiting quality men, and that is the most important thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chuck Norris frequently signs up for beginner karate classes, just so he can "accidentally" beat the s*it out of little kids.

Great Story***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:48 PM

ALL IN!!

point***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:49 PM

Great story, made those kids and my day....class act***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nice post. Thanks for that.***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Send a note to TB, VK, & DB....***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:53 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Coby's Commentary: Very Encouraging Sight

Sep 27, 2005, 1:55 PM

Point. Thanks for sharing that, and thanks to Anthony Waters for using his position to give those kids a thrill that some of them will always remember.

THAT is why I love Clemson and others do too***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A true Clemson Gentleman!***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:56 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Great story--thanks for posting.***

Sep 27, 2005, 1:56 PM

That's a great story and another reason i like having

Sep 27, 2005, 2:01 PM

Tommy Bowden as our head coach!

Nice***

Sep 27, 2005, 2:09 PM

Comments on #40 from Coach Bowden today at his PC...

Sep 27, 2005, 2:18 PM

Can you talk about Anthony Waters? He seems to have really stepped up in recent weeks.
Bowden: I'm glad you brought him up because I brought him up to the team the other day. He saw that No. 52 (D'Qwell Jackson) up there, potentially a first round draft pick, and I think Anthony personally challenged himself, 'okay that guy is going to get all the attention, let me see what I can do.' Since then, he has now put three games together that are really really impressive. He's putting himself in position right to do some things Leroy Hill was doing. I'm really really pleased with Anthony's effort.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coby's Commentary: Very Encouraging Sight

Sep 27, 2005, 2:20 PM

Excellent article. This is what it's all about.

Pawsum

forward this story to someone in the athletic department***

Sep 27, 2005, 2:26 PM

Clemson

Re: forward this story to someone in the athletic department***

Sep 27, 2005, 4:23 PM

A copy of this post was put on every defensive coaches' desk by the football office.

Re: forward this story to someone in the athletic department***

Sep 27, 2005, 6:56 PM

Thanks Crump, I appreciate that. I feel like right now they could use the reaffirming that they are doing the right things.

Chuck Norris frequently signs up for beginner karate classes, just so he can "accidentally" beat the s*it out of little kids.

Thank you. HOF post.***

Sep 27, 2005, 2:31 PM

I used to work with Anthony's mother in Marion, SC.

Sep 27, 2005, 3:01 PM

I still frequently see her whenever I go that way. I'm going to print this out and take it to her next time I go home. She will absolutely love it!

Was he wearing a t-shirt?********

Sep 27, 2005, 3:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Incredible!!!***

Sep 27, 2005, 3:27 PM

That's Class! Wonder what Derek Watson would have done?***

Sep 27, 2005, 4:42 PM

Lifted the kids wallet.***

Sep 27, 2005, 4:44 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

First you're assuming Watson woulda been on campus

Sep 27, 2005, 5:36 PM [ in reply to That's Class! Wonder what Derek Watson would have done?*** ]

WRONG assumption.

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."- Robert E. Lee
"Strike the tent." - Robert E. Lee's final words
"Better to remain silent and thought an idiot then to speak out and confirm that thought for everyone." - Mark Twain

Clemson Day at the State House:

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic