Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stupidity....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Stupidity....

May 10, 2014, 8:51 PM

When a conservative speaks his mind and decries homosexuality he is a bigot. When a liberal speaks his mind and decries Christianity, he is enlightened.

Libs version of free speech stops at how much you disagree with them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a bitter and angry man.

Pairing politics and religious preferences.

May 10, 2014, 8:53 PM

Yeah, you aren't stereotyping or anything.

Oh wait.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only the guilty get defensive.***

May 10, 2014, 8:54 PM

So the innocent are offensive?***

May 10, 2014, 8:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Calling stupidity and grouping anyone who disagrees

May 10, 2014, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Only the guilty get defensive.*** ]

with your view on homosexuality as a Liberal is well...

Stupidity.

Jches...

May 10, 2014, 9:01 PM

Where did I express my view on homosexuality? I didn't.

You just lost the debate by jumping to a conclusion.

Please step to the sidelines. Thanks.

Re: Jches...

May 10, 2014, 11:17 PM

no, I just think you tried to lump liberals in as all being stupid, because they are enlightened and dont have a problem with homosexuality.

it makes complete sense to me. ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only the guilty get defensive.***

May 11, 2014, 12:28 AM [ in reply to Only the guilty get defensive.*** ]

Yet this whole post is about as defensive as it gets.

You seem to be guilty of being a bigot, using your own logic.

Re: Stupidity....

May 10, 2014, 8:54 PM

Replace "homosexuality" with "minorities" and you just *might* see how stupid your argument sounds.

Again... Defensiveness denotes guilt.***

May 10, 2014, 8:56 PM

Re: Again... Defensiveness denotes guilt.***

May 10, 2014, 8:59 PM

The stupid is strong with this one.

Yep... and the logic nonexistent.***

May 10, 2014, 11:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, friend...

May 10, 2014, 8:55 PM

But if Christians are going to rally around the anti-gay parts of the Bible, I expect them to rally around the pro-slavery and anti-women stuff that's written side by side with those sections.

The rules of God don't allow people to pick and choose.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Curious as to these "anti-women" passages...***

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

How many would you like?

May 10, 2014, 9:02 PM

A few to get you started:

Genesis 3:16
1 Timothy 2:12
Ephesians 5:22
1 Corinthians 14:34-35

Let me know when you want more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Interesting how you read those as anti women, but whatevs

May 10, 2014, 9:06 PM

Would you like me to give you some verses stating how we are to honor and love the women in our lives and in general??

I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume

May 10, 2014, 9:10 PM

authority over a man; she must be quiet.

If you don't consider that "anti woman", than LOL.

Go share that verse with your wife, see what she thinks.

Do you know what "context" means??

May 10, 2014, 9:11 PM

Or how to apply it??

I am very aware of what the word means.

May 10, 2014, 9:12 PM

Just as that verse is very straight forward.

Did your ask your wife what she thought of that verse yet?

Of course - and it applies to the anti-gay passages as well.

May 10, 2014, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Do you know what "context" means?? ]

The context of a people shaped by the culture in which they lived, with all of it's customs, beliefs, prejudices, and limits of knowledge and understanding.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Hmmm interesting take, I am genuinely curious for you

May 10, 2014, 9:29 PM

to expound upon that further.

I think I still will disagree with your premise because it being a moral issue is slightly different than thou shalt not wear a certain type of fabric or consume a certain animal, but please do extrapolate

The writings that became The Bible were written in the

May 10, 2014, 10:56 PM

context of the times and cultures in which the authors lived, and those writings reflect that, including prejudices and ideas formed and assumptions made with a very limited understanding, particularly from a scientific view, of how things work compared to today.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The writings that became The Bible were written in the

May 10, 2014, 11:18 PM

that makes too much sense, I think you are posting on the wrong board.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get where you are coming from, but I think your main

May 10, 2014, 11:53 PM [ in reply to The writings that became The Bible were written in the ]

points are flawed because it reads like you are saying that the Bible was written primarily by people like you and I, whereas I believe that the Bible was divinely inspired by God and thus does not change from year to year as our "understandings" change, because as an all knowing, all powerful God, He has foreseen everything He needs to put in the Bible for our understanding.

I do appreciate your take on it though, I had not heard that arguement before

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

I do believe The Bible was written by people just like you

May 11, 2014, 12:33 AM

and me (more or less), and is an account of how they experienced and viewed God. I believe that experience was real, but their understanding of it was influenced by the cultures in which they lived. I do not believe that God dictated the writings or guided the author's hands as they put pen to parchment. I believe they were expressing, as best as they could, what they experienced and what they believed those experiences meant. I do believe many of the writings were "inspired" in a sense and contain many timeless truths, but are still subject to human error.

Thank you as well for a civil discussion.

- H. L. Mencken

Absolutely my good sir, many internetz boreds

May 11, 2014, 1:44 AM

could use more polite civil discourse such as you and I are espousing right now (catahoula please take notes on how to conduct a beneficial disagreement, there will be a quiz at the end of the period, ok thx).

I believe we can pin-point our disagreement stemming from your statement saying:

"I believe that experience was real, but their understanding of it was influenced by the cultures in which they lived. I do not believe that God dictated the writings or guided the author's hands as they put pen to parchment"

I respectfully disagree and as such I believe that the Holy Spirit was guiding the hand(s) of the writers of the Bible, but even if as we come to a disagreement here at these terms, I must ask you where you draw the dividing line on moral actions if you so believe that the Bible was dictated upon cultures that they lived in???? The Assyrians and Babylonians had infanticide as an integral part of their culture and religious beliefs, which the Jews were sandwiched against at the time the Bible was written and were staunchly against (draw what references to modern day abortions as you will).

The modern Christian beliefs are confirmed by the council of Nicea (if I remember correctly), in which your point of view was taken into account and discarded as heresy.

Please don't take anything personally, I am genuinely interested in your opinion on these matters

I think you are asking a question, but I'm not sure what it

May 11, 2014, 2:00 AM

is.

- H. L. Mencken

Haha sorry if I rambled, tis late at night for me,

May 11, 2014, 2:47 AM

I got hungry and am now cooking bacon so am more awake,

More of a statement than a question I guess:

I think you are saying that the Bible was written by flawed humans such as you and I, thus making it more out dated as the times progress because the culture(s) during which it was written was not as advanced as ours is today.

I am postulating that the entire Bible was divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit (aka 3rd person of the Trinity) and does not change from age to age even as the human race's "understanding" advances.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted your previous statement(s)??

Am now even more awake, let me mentally chew over your

May 11, 2014, 2:55 AM

previous statement for a greater period of time, give me until tomorrow (Sunday afternoon)if you would be so kind, and I will attempt to have a more coherent statement/question for you, my good sir

Re: I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume

May 11, 2014, 9:05 AM [ in reply to I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume ]

All men, already know her/their thoughts on the that subject. But just b/c they have an opinion, it doesn't make them right. I like the Bible ways myself;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many would you like?

May 10, 2014, 9:47 PM [ in reply to How many would you like? ]

Yet men are to work and toil to grow crops (provide food, earn wages) and love their wives to the point they would die for them. And, women were the first to witness the empty tomb.

Being a women in not a sin.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I am also curious as to why my

May 10, 2014, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Curious as to these "anti-women" passages...*** ]

asking a very very very simple question (which catahoula was nice enough to answer) denotes a TD...but oh well, haters gonna hate I guess

Catahoula!!!

May 10, 2014, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Sorry, friend... ]

You live old friend!

I am not taking sides but I do see people attacked for expressing their beliefs. Can't stand that...

Bigotry...

May 10, 2014, 9:03 PM

Is shameful and it is our duty as human beings to attack it.

I hope you are doing well.

And you know I agree with that..,

May 10, 2014, 9:05 PM

Always have.

I also agree that everyone... Even those who struggle with that brand of sin... deserves to be just as open about their life as Michael Sam is about his. That's freedom.

Re: Bigotry...

May 10, 2014, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Bigotry... ]

> Is shameful and it is our duty as human beings to
> attack it.
>
> I hope you are doing well.

So instead of seeking understanding and maybe just agreeing to disagree, you attack (your perception of) "bigotry" by wishing people who disagree with you a speedy death, that their kind "die off soon?" THAT is shameful.

I am done being cute and cuddly

May 10, 2014, 9:26 PM

With people who lash out with hatred towards those whom I care about.

And just for the record, I didn't say I wished for a speedy death. I hope it's a long, slow road to shame and submission like the many racists from decades ago.

Re: I am done being cute and cuddly

May 10, 2014, 9:53 PM

> With people who lash out with hatred towards those
> whom I care about.
>
> And just for the record, I didn't say I wished for a
> speedy death. I hope it's a long, slow road to shame
> and submission like the many racists from decades ago.

My apologies: I combined your "death wish" threat with another poster who is also on here speaking the same brand of hate as you. Because yes, you actually sound EXACTLY like those racists from decades ago you speak of. I know because I was born/lived it firsthand as an African-American in SC in the '60s and I recognize that kind of hate and evil speech...it's identical to yours.

Trust me: my parents, grandparents loved & cared for us and wanted to protect us from this kind of hate & evil and they did...and they were able to do so under MUCH worse conditions. And they did so without ever shouting public shame and death wishes on others....it was not about being "cute and cuddly" - in fact, it took TREMENDOUS strength and temperance (esp for my father) not to respond. Hate, evil, wishing death on another is never the answer.

Just as Michael Sam said he didn't want his sexuality to define him...

May 10, 2014, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Bigotry... ]

Someone's opposition to homosexuality shouldn't define them either. You may feel their point of view on that subject is bigoted, but it shouldn't define them. We can't... as reasonable people... have it both ways.

Re: Sorry, friend...

May 10, 2014, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Sorry, friend... ]

You need to quit nitpicking the bible to say what you want it to say and learn to understand the context of what you are reading.

The slaves Paul was talking about were more like employees in that day and he was relating it to obeying and respecting people in authority such as a boss.

Re: that is the fun thing with the Bible

May 10, 2014, 9:15 PM

Both sides can cherry pick pieces that support their argument of choice. Same for many other religious texts. They are not the verbatim word of god (of your choice) dictated by that diety, but the words of many people re-translated multiple times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

How silly of me. Slaves were just employees!

May 10, 2014, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry, friend... ]

I forgot about all the great 401ks they had back in the 1800s South.

Re: How silly of me. Slaves were just employees!

May 10, 2014, 9:33 PM

I don't think Paul was referring to the slaves of the south.

Back in the bible days the "slaves" were more like employees and were not beaten and mistreated.

How much better our lives would be

May 10, 2014, 9:40 PM

If we had just followed the 2,000 year old version of slavery.

Re: How silly of me. Slaves were just employees!

May 10, 2014, 9:53 PM [ in reply to How silly of me. Slaves were just employees! ]

Slavery in the 1800s is wrong! They were forced into slavery.

Slavery (Servanthood) in Scripture and Middle Eastern culture is not forced. In Egypt, the Hebrews were akin to 1800s slavery.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: That sounds like a good thing to me.***

May 10, 2014, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Sorry, friend... ]

Re: I'm equal opportunity

I wish both sides would go somewhere, fight to the death of both parties and leave the rest of us to talk football.

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Post of the night***

May 10, 2014, 8:57 PM

To be fair

May 10, 2014, 9:01 PM

The initial discussion didn't begin with someone saying they disagreed with it, but rather with someone hurling insults at him.

Not exactly searching for civil discourse on the subject.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stupidity....

May 10, 2014, 9:07 PM

Did you not learn about free speech in school? Nobody is oppressing your freedoms of speech here. You are allowed to say hateful things about certain groups of people but you are not protected from the social repercussions of those things.

I'll defend your right to say you hate gay people but I will still call you a bigot for doing so. See how that works?

Your freedom of speech stops at

May 10, 2014, 9:22 PM

Personal attacks. Like the post about Sams BFs appearance. Out of line. Not cool.

If you disagree, prove your awareness and intelligence without name calling and I may listen. The minute you try to gain the upper hand by taking long held moral beliefs of people and dismiss them by throwing out a word like "bigot", then I dismiss you as beneath my time.

Seek first to understand... Then engage in debate... But always be kind.

Re: Your freedom of speech stops at

May 10, 2014, 9:42 PM

Please see the definition of the word bigoted:

"having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others."

Calling you a bigot for have a prejudiced intolerance is not a personal attack, it is merely an observation or calling a spade a spade if you will.

ok then. ut a ###### douchbag then. spade a spade***

May 10, 2014, 10:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ok then. ut a ###### douchbag then. spade a spade***

May 10, 2014, 10:20 PM

I'm assuming you did not attend Clemson... you don't seem to have the mental capacity to have been accepted.

Sigh... are you readings my posts?

May 10, 2014, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Your freedom of speech stops at ]

Or are you making stuff up as you go along?

I never once expressed my opinions about anything other than one group of people being intolerant of another group of peoples intolerance, which BY DEFINITION is the height of hypocrisy.

Please show me where I expressed a bigoted or intolerant view. You can't...

So therefore, you just lost the debate on points for attributing something to me that I didn't say.

Like jches... Excuse yourself and watch from the sidelines. Let the adults handle the heavy lifting.

Re: Sigh... are you readings my posts?

May 10, 2014, 11:22 PM

Um.. you replied to MY post and I wasn't referring directly to you in particular. So please, get your reading comprehension together and try to keep up.

Before I comment, define"decries Christianity."***

May 10, 2014, 9:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And that i a fact.***

May 10, 2014, 10:06 PM

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic