Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Basketball Fans ( Long )
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Clemson Basketball Fans ( Long )

Feb 12, 2013, 8:01 AM

After following Clemson basketball heavily for 3-4 years, I've come to the conclusion you all are some of the worst basketball fans.

You bring the mentality of our football tradition to a sport where we have NO tradition, NO history, and honestly, NO real success.

We have SUB PAR facilities, a practice court that is shared by BOTH basketball teams and an arena that is rusting all over the outside, BUT yet you still demand with your football mentality.

Then you ***** and moan about recruiting, can't bring in talent etc. Which where it could easily start at the two reasons above. BUT there is no FAN SUPPORT, but yet you still bring your football mentality.

Other then guys with Rooks that you recruit 3 + years, most ballers don't come "dreaming" to come to Clemson. And for those 4-5* players with offers from Tar Holes, Puke, Miami, Mizzou, Butler etc etc.

What happens when they get the letter with an offer from Clemson?

They LOL like a 4-5* FB recruit would if Wake Forest tried to offer with offers like Florida, Jawja, Auburn etc etc.

The perception of basketball is bleak and low right now, so my expectations were low going into this season. Maybe that's how I keep my composure and realize the REALITY of having 2 key players never play a minute and only 2 seniors who wouldnt start at a circus act.

So to the "football" fans who just ***** about basketball.

Go follow some more 17 year olds you would love to have, you're a broken record and contribute nothing useful.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

very good points. i believe we have the right coach to turn

Feb 12, 2013, 11:05 AM

the corner. but 'fans' like the ones you speak of will wind up costing us Brownell. He will head for greener pastures when the right job comes calling

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is my fear also.***

Feb 12, 2013, 1:14 PM

Some good points but not sure I really understand your

Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 AM

overall message.

Are you trying to say we expect too much?

I think we are expecting too much this year because of the injuries and youth but I don't think we shouldn't in general expect:
1) Progress
2) Make it to the NCAA most years
3) Make it at least to the sweet 16 every 2-3 years

Our facilities may need some updating but when Miami (8,000 seating) and other teams are doing better than us you cannot blame just facilities.

There is no reason that we can't attract solid kids. They have a chance to play in the ACC and be on TV.

We have done it before and if Miami can do it, we can.

Couple of your points below...

Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM

You mention....

1) Progress---I believe we are showing progress especially with a young team.
2) Make it to the NCAA most years...this is hilarious...given that we've only been to the tournament 10 times in our history...TEN.....our all time record is a losing record at the start of the season....in the past 20 yrs we haven't had an All American player...not one...in the past 20 yrs we've had three All ACC players...in the past 20 yrs we've made the tournament 7 times..about 33% of the time.
3) Make it at least to the sweet 16 every 2-3 years--this statement is even more over the top...in the history of Clemson basketball we've made the sweet 16 how many times???? TWO.....1980 and 1997...that's it. Now it's happened twice in 102 yrs of playing basketball but now it's supposed to happen every 2-3 yrs...likely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you rather play in Miami or Clemson?***

Feb 12, 2013, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Some good points but not sure I really understand your ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is one of those "holier than thou"

Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 AM

notes. Not worth responding to. (yeah, I know, just did = waste of time)

I think when Littlejohn was built in the 60s, the outside

Feb 12, 2013, 8:08 PM

of it was supposed to have and look like the metal was rusty.

so what do you want, a new facility that will not change the basketball at Clemson

some said it would change basketball when Littlejohn was built. it was built to compete with the USC new building.

nothing has changed overall, a new facility won't change basketball at Clemson

the only thing that will change Clemson baskeball is a Coach who CAN RECRUIT the major cities (like McGuire did for USC) and get a stream of that inner city talent coming to Clemson.

Until that happens Clemson can play of floors of gold, fans sit in seats of silver, and the results on the floor will continue to be plastic.

Re: I think when Littlejohn was built in the 60s, the outside

Feb 12, 2013, 8:20 PM

you would think it should be a easy job with clemson being near atlanta and charlotte don't know why we struggle to recruit in those cities

You think it would be but I don't see that many big

Feb 12, 2013, 11:39 PM

time recruits coming out of Charlotte and not many from Atlanta

I think we need a coach, BB would be fine, willing to go into NY, Phil., Boston, Chicago, DC type areas and pull one or two out a year.

Once you get a few, get a stream flowing from there, and they can go back and tell others how nice it is down here then you can get more and more.

Keep ties in the south and get a few here also, but Clemson needs those street type basketball players. Look at Pitt, Cuse, Cinn and all those up North schools. They get most of their players from those areas and I believe some would love a change in life style.

Definately big time recruits out of Atlanta. NCState is

Feb 13, 2013, 10:27 PM

making a living off of them as are a lot of other schools.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct on rusting of the building and CORRECT on the

Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 PM [ in reply to I think when Littlejohn was built in the 60s, the outside ]

recruiting. Amazes me that we can't use ACC basketball as a recruiting aide. Recruiting, not a new building will change our basketball. Really hope Brownell succeeds, he is a good coach and man.

The rust was intentional... it's an architectural thing.....***

Feb 14, 2013, 12:04 AM

Actually, I agree on parts. To compete with

Feb 12, 2013, 11:32 AM

the better programs we need upgraded facilities -like we have in football. No doubt, recruits are asked - why play at a football school. OP used to sell that we were a sports school - we loved them all. It would be nice if tnetters were disecting if Roper should start before it happened and breaking down how we could beat Miami. Attendance even on years that are struggles, like football. Recruits would see a culture that loved both. I have long thought it would take 7-10 years of consistent winning to get that. So now we are at a crossroads...Brownell has to turn it around or we lose what we gained with OP. For facilities, the question will be can we afford both top notch football and basketball.

Re: Clemson Basketball Fans ( Long )

Feb 12, 2013, 11:41 AM

Thank you. The people calling for Brownell's head are morons

Feb 12, 2013, 11:43 AM

Yea! You tell 'em.....er, us.....I mean ourselves???
Umm, maybe lesser fans?
How about anti-fans??

I got it, this one goes out to all of those a-holes that route for the same time as I do, but don't do it the way it should be done! I hate those guys.

GET ON MY LEVEL

My point is:

Feb 12, 2013, 11:54 AM

Until we give our basketball program the upgrades, patience, and support it desrves.

We will ALWAYS be a bottom dweller. We are what Duke has been in football, Vandy is a good example.

But what did they do? They put faith in a coach, are/did upgrade their facilities and now they have progress. I see Vandy being a hassle for a few teams, same as with Duke.

I only have problems with the fire Brownell crowd. What he did with Jerai Grant in one year and Bobo is remarkable. He had them more grounded then OP did in 3 years.

Maybe its the Indiana in me, but BB can coach and I dont want to lose him.

he's a good coach....he'll get it turned around and then hit

Feb 12, 2013, 11:56 AM

the road for a better job and people will want him back at that point. It's going to be a revolving door job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will never consistently compete in the ACC until our FAN

Feb 12, 2013, 1:36 PM

support and facilities are on on par with other ACC schools... Why would a legitimate 5 star sign with us now? Crappy facilities and a half full arena... You can't bring recruits to that...

3 - 4 years???? Try 50 years and then make a post!

Feb 12, 2013, 1:22 PM

You deserve your say, but that limited experience hardly makes you an authority on the subject.....no offense.

I've been going to games since the 70's and I agree...Is

Feb 12, 2013, 1:41 PM

35+ years a big enough sample size? I have seen the full tenure of Tates, Bill Foster, Cliff, Rick, Larry, and OP...

I've been going to game for forty years and I agree with him***

Feb 12, 2013, 4:03 PM [ in reply to 3 - 4 years???? Try 50 years and then make a post! ]

I dont need to watch 50 years

Feb 12, 2013, 1:44 PM

Of Clemson basketball to realize we have no tradition and are 0-56 in Chapel Hole.

You're acting like if Ive watched 10 years of Clemson BB, my opinion is more legitimate but the fact is:

We dont care enough about basketball to win.

Now tell me how youve watched it for 25 + years and how you would fix the problem.

And there is nothing wrong with our team IMO, their greay young men and when Juniors/Seniors could be a force.

Football folk just need to stick to just that, football.

You made intelligent observations that couldn't be disputed,

Feb 12, 2013, 1:46 PM

so your credibility was questioned...Welcome to the interweb...

Agreed, and the impatient folks are ignorant to BBall

Feb 12, 2013, 3:13 PM

Basketball teams are subject to pretty wild swings from year to year as you only have 5 players on the court, and the biggest contributers change every year. That's why you will see the best teams with the best recruits in the country have very down years.

The people you speak of are FOOTBALL fans, not basketball fans. They hold Clemson basketball to a useless standard because they don't even know how to judge a basketball team OR coach. I actually love the players we have right now in the young guys. I love Brownell, I think he is a very smart guy with great character and a very well respected knowledge of basketball. He is an ideal coach for Clemson. He can take the recruits we CAN get at Clemson and turn them into a cohesive team. Speaking of recruits, the ones BB is getting are better than we have gotten since the Barns years.

Re: Unless you want to send a check for a substantial

Feb 12, 2013, 7:33 PM

amount there is not much that we can do about. We are working with limited resources and must stretch them to the limit. Clemson is not a university with a medical school or a lot of other graduate programs who can turn out students who can immediately demand high salaries. Clemson has done pretty darn good with what that have to work with.

Feb 12, 2013, 9:41 PM

I have been a season ticket holder over 20 years and attended games for 20 prior to that. We have had success, and we have had great support. I have never seen a demand for a football ticket like I did when we hosted I believe a top ranked Wake team when Barnes was coach. I sat in the aisle when we hosted number 1 Duke in 1980 (13,000 in a 10,000 seat arena). We just have not had the concistency of success nor the tradition that we have had in football. It is difficult, but success in basketball at Clemson is possible. I know recruiting is challenging given the rural setting , but I believe Coach Brownell can get the job done. Give him 1-2 more years to have his players develop and integrate into the program as well getting Blossingame and Coleman back,then I think the future can be bright.

I am so sick of you schmucks gettin' all these thumbs up for

Feb 12, 2013, 9:44 PM

reiterating the same "we are losers but you are wrong for saying our coaches are bad!" B.S. over and over and over again. WAKE UP and say something new for a change!!! Are you proud of your page long bash of me because I think Brownell should be let go? Good for you!!! EYE am so proud of YOU!! You owe me 16 points that I contributed to your TigerNet status after your cry for attention disguised as a rant!!

No rant or call for attention.

Feb 13, 2013, 7:42 AM

Just speaking the cold hard truth.

Sorry you have the basketball IQ of Clowneys SAT scores and want BB fired.

Hey, think they are talking about the Spring Game on the Football board.

Run along now.

Oooo yeah!! Let's play 1-on-1!!! I'm in Wagener Terrace!

Feb 13, 2013, 8:19 AM

6'2" 174 w/ a 42 inch vertical leap. White German. I know nothing about basketball! Where you at, Charlie Brown?? Let's make a wager!! Then we'll play tennis, too!!!!

Other then call me out

Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 AM [ in reply to No rant or call for attention. ]

For intelligent and credible observations, you've done nothing to tell me how you'd fix the problem.

1. Fire Brownell
2. ????
3 ???
4. Success?

Fill in the blanks, genius.

Sure you remember this game from grade school, I'm very curious to what you have to enlighten with.

Re: Other then call me out

Feb 13, 2013, 11:16 AM

1. Fire Brownell
2. Hire an up and coming coach
3. Makes the Big Dance
4. Give 3-4 years to broing in system and players
5. Leaves for Texas , DePaul (LOL) etc etc

We are nothing but a stepping stone job right now and we are in the BEST conference for college basketball.

The writing is on the walls on what we need to do. If we don't, I see these steps happening over and over.

Our major disadvantage is that we're not in a large urban

Feb 13, 2013, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Other then call me out ]

setting. It may be that unless the people with money decide to boost Clemson basketball with the effort they do football, we may never really sustain success in the ABC. I look at the basketball rankings and I see schools in hugely populated areas. Rick Barnes was my hero, then he left for Austin. Purnell was on the right track, then he left for Chicago.

In my honest opinion, I think the only way Clemson makes noise with their basketball team is to do what we've done in Death Valley and that is to bring in a coach from the most successful part of the country. Get a coach from somewhere in N.C.! Who's the best football program? Where's our head coach from?? Coincidence? The exception is Syracuse that's usually in the top 10 but kinda in the middle of nowhere. The answer to their success is clearly coaching. Brownell is not a big time coach, period, and he's not Clemson's answer. You wanna insult my intelligence, fine, but any dummy can see that Brownell is nobody special n' not going to take Clemson to the Sweet 16 anytime soon if ever. So glad I could add fuel to your flame of perspicacious intelligence.

Facilities don't make a team

Feb 13, 2013, 7:50 AM

But an outdated arena and for the second time, a basketball SHARED by both teams shows a whole lot of committment, huh?

Stop acting like I'm saying a new a rena = wins. We will still blow Pukes doors off, High School track gone or not.

But if you dont think these young men see that we simply dont care about basketball as much when you compare the facilities.

The I don't know what to tell you, talking basketball to football fans is almost as bad as talking to a Coot.

Defenition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different resilts.

Well folks, the fire BB crowd is the definition of insanity.

A coach will bring us up then leave for greener pastures or we'll keep calling for every coaches head.

Practice court shared****

Feb 13, 2013, 7:51 AM

How do you get fans in the seats?

Feb 13, 2013, 10:40 PM

I think that's the question. Wins put them there but not ones that will stick around (like students) when the tide shifts.

Small regional population and frequency of games really play against us.

Re: How do you get fans in the seats?

Feb 13, 2013, 11:25 PM

Winning attracts fans.

I think if Clemson focused on creating a premiere venue, that could help. I don't think Clemson will be able to attract a coach to compete with the likes of coach K. (but we aren't alone) There is more than one way to create a competitive basketball program though...

Clemson owns more land, and has the potential to create a more scenic venue to play basketball (and baseball) and go to college than most of their competition. I think if they built facilities that maximized the beauty of Clemson, (perhaps a basketball arena on the west side of lake Hartwell with an open view of the lake & campus and a baseball stadium that allowed students to float in the lake and catch home runs) they could take a large step towards closing the recruiting gap.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic