Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The State rips Syvelle (C&P)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,265

The State rips Syvelle (C&P)

Apr 15, 2005, 4:30 AM

Posted on Fri, Apr. 15, 2005

Ringer proves to be a good judge of character

WE ALL OWE Jim Ringer an apology.

Ringer, you might recall, is the Rock Hill High School football coach who took the bold stand of not selecting Lexington running back Demetris Summers and Marlboro County quarterback Syvelle Newton to be members of South Carolina’s 2002 Shrine Bowl football team.

Ringer took a lot of heat for his decision. He took it from Lexington High and Marlboro County High coaches and fans. He took it from casual football fans who believed he was denying a chance for the state’s top two players to perform in an all-star game. He took it from the media, which generally did not understand the decision. And he took it from USC fans who believed he was somehow trying to belittle the school’s top recruits.

As it turns out, Ringer knew what he was doing.

His decision clearly was not based on the accomplishments of the two players. Summers remains the state’s all-time leader in rushing yards (9,076) and touchdowns (127), and he was ranked by one publication as the nation’s top running back prospect. Newton was the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year and was ranked by one publication as the nation’s fifth-best quarterback prospect.

Although Ringer never spelled it out, his decision was based on character issues. Newton was the central figure in a benches-clearing brawl between Marlboro County and Northwestern High that prevented both teams from participating in the 2002 high school playoffs. Summers was suspended during his senior season following a fight with another student at Lexington High.

“I know coach Ringer is pretty steadfast in his beliefs, and he’s going to take the people who will make this an enjoyable week and help him win the Shrine Bowl,” said Lakewood High coach Greg Crolley, who came closest at the time to touching on the reasons for Ringer’s decision.

Vindication for Ringer has come two years later.

Summers is no longer a member of the USC football team, having been booted for repeated drug-test violations. Newton is walking perilously close to getting the same boot following his involvement in an off-campus fight this past weekend in which charges against him were dropped.

Now we know why Ringer did not want the two on his football team. All you have to do is consider each player’s laundry list of on-the-field and off-the-field incidents to know Ringer had some foresight.

In high school, Summers also was suspended from the basketball team his sophomore year for an undisclosed violation of team rules. He was pampered to the point of needing a babysitter at USC. Then he was suspended from the USC football team for the second session of summer school a year ago for missing classes and/or team workouts. He was front and center at the bottom of the hill at Clemson this past season, taunting the Tigers before the game — an action that possibly instigated the brawl that occurred later. Finally, the failed drug tests got him.

Newton’s rap sheet is becoming Derek Watson-esque, and you have to wonder how many more chances USC coach Steve Spurrier is going to give the talented quarterback-turned-receiver. It begins with his involvement in the Marlboro County-Northwestern fight and ends with his allegedly punching USC student Justin Williams in the side of the face during an incident at the Masonic Temple on Saturday.

In between, Newton was suspended from the team for the second session of summer school a year ago for missing classes and/or team workouts. He recently applied for pretrial intervention to wipe clean charges that he stole property from the USC locker room in November. On top of that, it appears Newton stopped attending class following football season and must pass a heavy load of courses during the current semester and in summer school to retain his eligibility.

In hindsight, we can understand why Ringer did not want such distractions while preparing his Shrine Bowl team for what is supposed to be a lifelong, rewarding experience.

“If we don’t win this game there are some folks from Lexington and Marlboro County who probably won’t let me out of that stadium alive,” Ringer said at the time.

Ringer’s South Carolina team could not generate much offense without the services of Summers and Newton, and it was over-powered 28-0 by the North Carolina squad.

There probably are those who never will forgive Ringer for his decision concerning Summers and Newton. But, in retrospect, Ringer should be applauded for establishing principles and standing behind them.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/colleges/clemson_university/11399244.htm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WOW..Who wrote that? The States phones will be ringing today***

Apr 15, 2005, 4:55 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clap, clap, clap! ********

Apr 15, 2005, 5:30 AM

Oh I smell a BIG TIME boycott***

Apr 15, 2005, 6:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark!***

Apr 15, 2005, 6:49 AM

The main problem in convincing stupid people that they are stupid, is that they are usually too stupid to comprehend their own stupidity.

http://www.myspace.com/beejishere

Drive fast, turn left!

And let the church say AMEN!!!

Apr 15, 2005, 6:53 AM

Coot fans have been trashing the State for years now, and they still buy the rag. GO TIGERS!

Bravo! I can't believe SS is considering letting Syvelle

Apr 15, 2005, 6:58 AM

play on his team in the fall. His wrap sheet is gaining some length. This guy doesn't deserve to be playing D-1 football.

27-20. 63-17. 29-7. 13-9. PERIOD.

Not just considering it...

Apr 15, 2005, 7:36 AM

Syvelle will be playing tomorrow in the spring game. I was actually impressed with the hard stand that OBC was taking until now. It is pretty obvious that Syvelle is a player he feels that he needs and he will do whatever it takes to keep him in school.

Like I said yesterday, Spurrier is already compromising his

Apr 15, 2005, 8:16 AM

principles and he hasn't been there 6 months yet. He should have read the quote by Na'shan Goddard when he said the players were upset that Holtz had a diferrent set of rules for Summers.

That surprises me, i was pretty impressed myself that

Apr 15, 2005, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Not just considering it... ]

spurrier was actually showing some grit towards this kind of behavior. i think you're right on when you say that he is a player that he HAS to have. he doesn't have much else...

27-20. 63-17. 29-7. 13-9. PERIOD.

Best thing to come out of the State in years

Apr 15, 2005, 8:02 AM

Jim Ringer is a great coach and judge of character. It appears the great coaching legend Lou could have learned a thing or two from coach Ringer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know much about Ringer but he must be a great

Apr 15, 2005, 8:05 AM

HS coach.

Not sure if it's fair to lump Summers and Newton together

Apr 15, 2005, 8:13 AM

Summers is pretty lazy and likes to smoke up, but otherwise seems to be a pretty good kid. Newton is a punk, a thug, and a washout, and I'd be surprised if he avoids prison time.

agree, but neither deserve a scholarship at USC***

Apr 15, 2005, 8:17 AM

No, they've used up all of their chances.

Apr 15, 2005, 8:24 AM

I think Spurrier will regret keeping Newton around. I sat a couple seats away from that kid at a Furman playoff game last year, and you could tell what kind of person he is after about five minutes. He is a rotten apple and will continue to spoil the barrel in Columbia.

Summers is more a product of what happens when a kid gets too much too early without strong parental guidance. It's a shame that no one was able to properly motivate him, and that he lacked inner motivation.

Sign of the apocalypse?

Apr 15, 2005, 8:21 AM

I can't believe The State would actually print something like this about their beloved coots, but perhaps they are finally aware of how FREAKING STUPID they looked by kissing Louser's #### only to see him leave an almost renegade program in his wake that has brought loads of embarrassment (not just due to losing) to the University.
They chose to ignore the clear history of Louser's methods of success: coddling star (and often troubled) players, flirting with NCAA violations at every turn, and departing programs just as they approach disaster. They chose to buy the hype, drink the koolaid, put him on a pedestal, forgive his living in Florida (imagine if Tommy lived in, say, Athens or Auburn in the offseason), and overlook his decisions regarding Watson and others.
The result is that they look even more ridiculous than ever, so perhaps somebody with some sense has decided they could benefit their beloved coots more by taking the hard route of blasting situations like Newton's and Summers' hoping that by "taking out the trash" their team will be better in the long run. There is a reason Ringer's programs have done much better over the years than some others and it isn't just due to talent. He knows that getting rid of the turds is priority one to winning.

But wait...on this website, The State is an unreliable rag

Apr 15, 2005, 8:37 AM

that is biased in favor of USC and against Clemson...oh wait...that was yesterday... :)

good one Rowdy

Apr 15, 2005, 8:55 AM

they still are, but sometimes they mess up and forget, still by no means pro Clemson. Henc, unreliable. lol

LOL, I hear ya jg. :)***

Apr 15, 2005, 9:08 AM

Re: LOL, I hear ya jg. :)***

Apr 15, 2005, 4:32 PM

Ron Morris should write for the National Enquirer. That is about his speed.

That article has about 12 blantant factual errors.

I am not going to debate what Newton and Summers have done 2 years after the fact because that is irrelevant.

What is relevant is Ringer allowed his personal dislikes of coaches and politics get in the way of choosing the best 2 players in the state that season. He also did not choose Justin Fulbright from Byrnes who passed for over 5000 in one season. David Smith who caught 75 balls for Union, Bradly Robinson from Byrnes, Marcus Howard who went to UGA, or Rodney Mc Gill from Clover who went to UNC. He left off 8 of the top 12 recruits and 11 of the 24 players from the AP All State Team.

Ringer used the Shrine Bowl to play favors with his buddies pure and simple. At the time he said Summers was not choosen because he could not block. Summers had only one discipline problem in HS ever. He was suspended for fighting after a punk called him a Nig........Newton was not even suspended for the Marlboro Northwestern fight. 21 players were suspended at least one game but Newton was not. Morris flat out lies on this point.

Summers deserved to be kicked out of USC and Newton might as well. But there is no way to justify an idiot coach's mistake from 3 years ago with what these 2 guys did in the future.

Oh and by the way.....there were 3 players on that Shrine Bowl with CRIMINAL RECORDS. Thats right Coach Jimbo selected 3 players who had been convicted of crimes and were part of the Juvie Justice System. Newton and Summers were never even charged with anything in HS.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,265
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic