Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
MUST READ - regarding Strength and Conditioning.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

MUST READ - regarding Strength and Conditioning.

Nov 28, 2011, 4:58 PM

Saw this on a blog. Whoever wrote this did their homework. Great stuff in here about Batson and a couple of his Top Assistants.

To me, seeing less talented teams get more out of their players is the best evidence that Joey Batson is possibly the biggest albatross around Clemson's player development efforts. If someone asked you to name some teams that have been Clemson's achilles' heels in the ACC, who would you name? Larry Williams has done just that, as a matter of fact.

Georgia Tech is numero uno, no doubt. Boston College and one other team are fighting for second place. That team? The Maryland Terrapins, of course. Remember the ole "if you punch them in the mouth, they will quit" game? The fact Clemson, as a rule, gets tripped up by Maryland in much the same fashion as against Georgia Tech and Boston College prompted me to look a little closer.

In addition to the other inexplicable losses over the years to Duke and Wake, I have long believed our buddy Joey Batson deserves much blame for GT, BC, and Maryland more often than not physically overwhelming the more talented Tigers. From the James Davis-headlining class in 2005 up to the class in 2008, Clemson's recruiting ranking averaged 15th. Maryland during that time averaged around 40th. Without a doubt, I wanted to look closer to find why they were getting better development among their players. What I found is troubling, and surprisingly related to what happened a few nights ago in Columbia.

Doing a little research, I found this gem of an article I have linked at the bottom of this post. I highly encourage folks to read it. The "put the weight back on the right way" and the "designed to peak in November" quotes particularly caught my eye. You see, the guy who was at Maryland during the period they often upset us was hired away from the Turtles last year and is now at Vanderbilt. Take a glance and see what he is doing there. Just as interesting is finding out who he replaced.

Vanderbilt is basically an SEC conference version of the ACC's Wake Forest. In 2008, Wake Forest whipped them 23-10. They played again in 2010, and a 3-10 Wake team stomped them 34-13. Analyzing the recruiting of both schools during this period, one will see the talent brought in is rated about as close as you can get. The first two games saw Grobe's team whip the Commodores. But suddenly, a decent Wake team who defeated Florida State and outplayed Clemson in Death Valley is destroyed 41-7. What happened? Read on.

Looking at the history of the Vanderbilt Strength and Conditioning department reveals much about the necessity of an outstanding coach and his role in player development. For the Clemson faithful, most relevant is the fact that looking into Vandy's situation is another look at Joey Batson's legacy. Follow along as we analyze that legacy.

Almost a year ago, I made a post showing how another Batson protege', Ruben Mendoza, had a track record at Ole Miss and Notre Dame that was basically a mirror image of the on-field problems at Clemson. Losing in the fourth quarter, losing close games, late season collapses, poor functional strength, and NFL teams noting poor development are some of the parallels.

How does the Vanderbilt situation relate to Mendoza? Well, lo and behold, the guy who was at Vanderbilt when Wake was blowing them up was none other than John Sisk, ANOTHER Batson man who coached under him at Clemson. Followng the Batson template to a T, it seems the Mr. Sisk coached teams at Vanderbilt were getting whipped by the equally talented bunch at Wake. I cannot say I am in the least surprised.

Back in the early days of Bowden's tenure, the section of the program that featured the Strength and Conditioning department showcased pictures of Batson and his two top assistants. Sisk and Mendoza were those two men. Neither of those men are now coaching in the top division of college football.

Gayle Hatch has a legacy of developing great strength coaches. Moffitt at LSU, Cochran at Alabama. Carlisle at Southern Cal. And on it goes. Dwight Galt, the guy that helped Maryland and Vanderbilt punch Clemson and Wake respectively in the mouth has a decent legacy himself.

Not only did Galt max out the potential of studs like Vernon Davis for the Terps(would have been nice to see the same with, say, Daquan Bowers at Clemson), he has had quite a few understudies go on to coach in the NFL. Even more interesting is his impact in college.

Craig Fitzgerald, the strength coach South Carolina hired in January, 2009, both played and worked under Galt. Seems like ole Galt's legacy of turning the tides like that of the Vandy-Wake battle goes much wider.....his understudy has helped turn the tide in the Clemson-SC battle. To add insult to injury, BOTH his sons are working under Fitzgerald at South Carolina. The score: Fitzgerald-3, Batson-O. ZERO.

John Sisk currently finds himself now at FURMAN. Vanderbilt's new coach, unlike Tommy Bowden and Dabo Swinney at Clemson, knew the importance of establishing great player development via a great strength coach. So long SEC, hello Furman. FURMAN. Surely one trained by the great Mr. Bench press should at least get a lateral move!!

How about Mendoza? After an SEC stint at Ole Miss, he moved on to head the program at Notre Dame. After the Irish basically were the Midwestern, Catholic version of Clemson on the gridiron, Mendoza is no longer in South Bend. Like Vanderbilt's new guy, Brian Kelly(again, unlike Swinney and Bowden), realized he needed to change up things in the all so important realm of player development.

Where is Mendoza now? Well, he finds himself heading up the department at his alma mater, WAYNE STATE. So long, SEC. Goodbye South Bend. Hello WAYNE STATE. Another lateral move, huh? Boy, those Batson guys define upward mobility, don't they?

Anyone still unconvinced? If so, there is no help. This post may come across as harsh. Well, Clemson needs a LOTTA harshness. Mr. Mendoza and Mr. Sisk are probably great guys. Unfortunately, they didn't learn from a Moffitt, a Hatch, or even a Galt. They learned from Joey Batson. Nice guys all, perhaps.

But Clemson doesn't need nice guys. There are too many there already. Clemson needs a nasty sense of urgency. Don't worry about Batson. Charleston Southern or Newberry will scoop him up. Chad Morris said it well: the cream rises to the top. Clemson needs to identify the cream and hire him as a strength coach. We don't need anymore skim milk.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it wouldn't hurt to try something different

Nov 28, 2011, 5:07 PM

Swinney seems to listen to the people. Maybe if we all email him about Batson he might look in that direction.

WOW that is an eye opener !! *****

Nov 28, 2011, 5:10 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: MUST READ - regarding Strength and Conditioning.

Nov 28, 2011, 5:11 PM

Wow - this long article actually makes sense....I really hope Dabo objectively scrutinizes all the coaches at the end of the year and cuts bait on the under achievers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

word***

Nov 28, 2011, 5:15 PM

-

Where's the link***

Nov 28, 2011, 5:17 PM

On The AOC website. didn't include it b/c a lot of people

Nov 28, 2011, 5:22 PM

would dismiss it by being on there.

link:

Nov 28, 2011, 5:30 PM

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/vandy-s-new-strength-and-conditioning-coach-has-his-charges-shape

it wasn't on the AOC article either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I forwarded this to some former

players I know that are big donors to IPTAY. I'm confident they will share it, now we just have to hope Dabo sees this and does something about it!

Thanks for posting Caddie***

Nov 28, 2011, 8:51 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eye opener....

This is exactly what I was thinking Sat night and the only common denominator of what has been a mediocre two decades. We need to copy and paste and send to the AD and Dabo.

thank you. and thank you for using paragraphs.***

Nov 28, 2011, 5:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

What is the AOC website?***

Nov 28, 2011, 5:25 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is the AOC website?***

Nov 28, 2011, 8:42 PM

http://theavenueofchampions.blogspot.com/

Re: What is the AOC website?***

Nov 29, 2011, 5:53 PM

"We dont ever maintain here" expecting results is too much to ash

Good post - I've asked this before I think, but did CTB

Nov 28, 2011, 5:26 PM

hire Joey or was it CTW? Either way, he's been around a long time...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Tiger man needs no introduction...

West***

Nov 28, 2011, 5:29 PM

I worked out with him when he was at Furman

Nov 28, 2011, 5:32 PM

He was a real hard a$$ back then (plus he's my cousin, so I can't really talk too much crap about him), I just wonder if the game has passed him by...He's a great guy, though...

A Tiger man needs no introduction...

$hit, now I'm worried about FURMAN S&C

Nov 28, 2011, 5:34 PM

we had a guy that come up from the citadel but they let him go for this dude...can't be good.

thx for the insight

Nov 28, 2011, 5:34 PM

Whatch out. The Batson worshippers will soon come out. He was just named S&G of the year in 2009. "Batson was named Master Strength and Conditioning Coach by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa) in May of 2009.".

I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago

Nov 28, 2011, 5:38 PM

and somebody name jbeazy told me to shut up...I'm now starting think its the man himself

One thing is for certain.... lose to coots 3 years in a row

Nov 28, 2011, 5:40 PM

and somebody has to go. That is just the way it is. I hate to see anybody fired, but somebody needs to be after that embarrasing performance last Saturday.

Absolutely sick of losing to the coots.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it might happen but lets make sure that we

Nov 28, 2011, 5:54 PM

identify the problem before pulling the trigger.

Re: It would be nice if we had one like Rich Tuten.***

Nov 28, 2011, 5:53 PM

Re: It would be nice if we had one like Rich Tuten.***

Nov 28, 2011, 6:01 PM

I think Levon Kirkland would make a great strength & conditioning coach. He could also be a good LB coach and his NFL experience could help in recruiting.

It's not just a matter of being a bada$$. There is a ton of

Nov 29, 2011, 7:52 AM

science involved. We need someone who studied in the right program and interned under one of the best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: It's not just a matter of being a bada$$. There is a ton of

Nov 29, 2011, 10:21 AM

agreed

Wow, first time I've seen Tuten's name on here in a while!

Nov 29, 2011, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: It would be nice if we had one like Rich Tuten.*** ]

I wonder how that stump is doing these days? Now that NG was a powerhouse. Was he the first player we had who benched over 500?

He was as tough as they came also! Wow, I miss those days of tough tiger defense. He also had an incredible ability to get low and get leverage on the OL. He put the pain to some fullbacks also.

Ironic Batson transferred from Citadel to Newberry...

Nov 28, 2011, 5:57 PM

Probably means absolutely nothing, but just sort of ironic.

Nov 28, 2011, 6:04 PM

Great read. Thanks for posting this.

George Dostal played a big role in our success in '81.

Nov 28, 2011, 6:21 PM

He was a very innovative, highly regarded S&C coach from Nebraska, and while he was here, we physically dominated almost everybody we played.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

is Dostal still around? also the guy after him was good

Nov 28, 2011, 7:54 PM

too. I can't recall his name.

Gary Wade followed Dostal, and yes,he was a good one

Nov 29, 2011, 12:09 AM

too. Dostal passed away within the last year or two I think.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

answer: CROSSFIT

Nov 28, 2011, 6:22 PM

nm

Re: answer: CROSSFIT

Nov 30, 2011, 1:19 PM

Yes, because we definitely need Clemson to be slower, weaker, and more injury prone. I really hope you're trolling.

FULLY AGREE...

Nov 28, 2011, 6:32 PM

Been saying it for years. We are not as strong as most of our opponents. We are not in football shape. We win with pure athleticism, or we lose. No power, not enough strength. Haven't had it for years.

Nothing personal against Batson, but he needs to go. Now. Tired of seeing it. He's either lazy or not up to speed with today's techniques and supplements.

We cannot and will not ever be "tough" enough until other teams can stop pushing us around. As a Clemson man who has watched us through our "tough" years, the lack of strength and power that can be readily seen today is embarrassing. It needs to change, or Dabo will be looking for another job next year.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=11529698

One of the most informative post I have read in some time

Nov 28, 2011, 6:49 PM

point for you, Caddie!

Åfter 1981 NC game Huskers' coach ran up to our Dostal to

Nov 28, 2011, 6:54 PM

tell him he was the most important part of Clemson beating his team...the difference was strength & stamina.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great info, thanks! Makes a lot of sense!***

Nov 28, 2011, 7:47 PM

Great Post

Nov 28, 2011, 8:00 PM

Everyone needs to read Batson's resume on the Clemson AD site. He was at Clemson as an assistant S&C in the mid 80's but was hired as the director in 97. If look at the time line of this hire and reflect on when this softness starting showing up you will connect the dots. Until I starting looking at what changes have been made over the last 15 yrs and what hasn't this is the one area that has not changed. Everything in this program has changed except the man in charge of the S&C. This position in the football program is more important than the other coaches. They are with the players the whole year.

The current artcle on Shakin the Southland has a lot

Nov 28, 2011, 8:00 PM

of info on Strength and Conditioning. Amazing how good ole boy Clemson is. When new coaches go to a school they hire the SC guy they want. At Clemson, I honestly believe is Dabo said we need a new SC coach, the athletic department would say, what Batson has been here forever. He is like one of the family. Dabo probably doesn't even have the authority to get rid of him.

Toward the bottom of that article really gets into a lot

Nov 28, 2011, 8:01 PM

about Clemson's SConditioning situation.

Agree!!!!!***

Nov 28, 2011, 9:26 PM [ in reply to The current artcle on Shakin the Southland has a lot ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is really logical, particularly noting the last

Nov 28, 2011, 8:31 PM

paragraph of the article - which was written before the season started.

But the ultimate test is whether the Commodores hold up and can keep up with the competition when the regular-season finale against Wake Forest rolls around on Nov. 26.

“The program is designed to really peak in November, and that’s what we’re trying to do,” Galt said. “The in-season is very aggressive. It’s designed to get stronger, get more powerful during the season. We don’t ever maintain here.”

This ties together quite a bit. What is the root cause? We have strong coaches, in my opinion. Everyone is frustrated the execution isn't happening.

Very Interesting

Nov 28, 2011, 8:41 PM

U may be onto something

WOW.. I have wondered about the S&C program alot

Nov 28, 2011, 9:05 PM

Its the ONLY thing that hasnt been purged in years .

Great article!

Nov 29, 2011, 12:27 AM

I have been trying to figure out if the blaming if our strength and conditioning program lately is legit or not. After reading this, I am fearing that it is a significant portion of our problems on the field.

If so, I hate that our coaches are teaching the proper things and are being hampered by the S&C program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Great article!

Nov 29, 2011, 5:13 AM

Thanks Caddie. I posted about this just recently and I was also warned about the Batson lovers.

A repost of what I was forseeing back in September

Nov 29, 2011, 7:05 AM

Re: Front Page Story: Walker and Freeman expect a more physical line against Wofford
Posted: Sep 15, 2011 2:04 PM Reply

We sat through both games to the end
and granted it was hot, especially the Troy game.
However, it seemed like besides having a motivational issue with playing more aggressive, we might have a physical conditiong issue. Before the end of the half, both lines (more so the offense) were standing up with their hands on their hips...as if they were winded...until the start of play forced them to get into their stance. Of course, I realize a player has to be motivated either by themselves,a coach, or something in order to do all that strength and conditioning...as the saying goes "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Maybe it's time to 'run some stairs' !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent Read.***

Nov 29, 2011, 8:07 AM

and how did we finish last season?

Nov 29, 2011, 8:14 AM

By losing 3 of the last 4. And who was that win over? Wake Forest

Great post and analysis. Has Morris

Nov 29, 2011, 8:39 AM

made any comments on S&C? I do remember him making statements on the OL needing to be in top shape to run the offense. How does that comment translate into his philosophy on strength and technique?

This one issue may play a role in us keeping him as OC.

Batson is probably thinking to himself...

Nov 29, 2011, 9:58 AM

"Dangit....they found me. Everyone up top was blamed...starting with AD..then the head coach..then the d-coach....now its trickled down to me...the strength conditioning coach. Maybe if I can hold them off long enough with lame excuses, then they will move further down the line to the waterboys who ultimately are the reason for the Tiger's lackluster performance over the past decade."

Re: Batson is probably thinking to himself...

Nov 29, 2011, 10:07 AM

LMAO!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quality post, Caddie, thank you. Pretty obvious if you ask

Nov 29, 2011, 10:26 AM

me. Thank you for doing your homeowork.

Re:Let Dabo cook his soup with his own ingrediants!

Nov 29, 2011, 11:40 AM

Quell the lynching party if you are looking for a good reason we lost to usuck,why not a glance at coaching turnover? I don't know Batson personally but by looking at Kalon Davis losing 70 pounds of blubber and adding 20 of muscle I am impressed.Have you seen Spencer Regions transformation?Or the fact he took a walk-on tightend and give him the tools to become one of the best left tackles in the country.Sensabaugh has the physical tools to match a top 15 draft pick at wr. No sir this isn't about strength and conditioning it is about continuity along with culture.Dabo has taken a team that I was seeing through orange goggles as a 5 win team to an acc championship!So I believe we should defer to coach on who belongs on his staff or team.Yeah i was upset we blew a shot at playing for a NC LOL!Want to look up something interesting?Check out the last time a team won so much with a team packed with so many underclassmen,new coaches,and walk-ons.For those looking for a fight join the fighting dabos' in Charlotte saturday!

Dwight Galt at Vandy now...is he really that great?

Nov 29, 2011, 12:07 PM

I do think this whole Batson thing is a very interesting theory. I mean, he has been here for 15 years, and we've sucked pretty much that whole time.

I do remember this whole Batson thing coming up about a year ago. I recall several posters somewhat debunking what was originally posted on the AoC blog and STS. I wish I could find those posts again but I don't have all day to dig them up and Tnet's search function is garbage.

Dwight Galt was at UMD for 17 years. I'm sorry, but UMD isn't exactly who I picture as the bastion of toughness. I mean they've had some good teams over the years, but they've been far, far from elite. LSU and Bama recently maybe. USC and UT were also referenced in the anti-Batson articles. Those are the cream of the crop programs were talking about. I just don't know if its fair to compare Clemson and Batson by proxy to those programs when they recruit the way they do and have staffs with double our payroll.

I think this idea has some legs, but tread carefully before you completely buy into this.

Point is MD overachieved based on their recruiting

Nov 29, 2011, 8:56 PM

We have underachieved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dwight Galt at Vandy now...is he really that great?

Nov 29, 2011, 11:47 PM [ in reply to Dwight Galt at Vandy now...is he really that great? ]

> I do think this whole Batson thing is a very
> interesting theory. I mean, he has been here for 15
> years, and we've sucked pretty much that whole time.
>
> I do remember this whole Batson thing coming up about
> a year ago. I recall several posters somewhat
> debunking what was originally posted on the AoC blog
> and STS. I wish I could find those posts again but I
> don't have all day to dig them up and Tnet's search
> function is garbage.
>
> Dwight Galt was at UMD for 17 years. I'm sorry, but
> UMD isn't exactly who I picture as the bastion of
> toughness. I mean they've had some good teams over
> the years, but they've been far, far from elite. LSU
> and Bama recently maybe. USC and UT were also
> referenced in the anti-Batson articles. Those are
> the cream of the crop programs were talking about. I
> just don't know if its fair to compare Clemson and
> Batson by proxy to those programs when they recruit
> the way they do and have staffs with double our
> payroll.
>
> I think this idea has some legs, but tread carefully
> before you completely buy into this.

I am blue_62, the guy who wrote the post. The point is not at all to be taken as me advocating the greatness of Dwight Galt. Rather, I wanted to demonstrate BATSON'S legacy as a coach.

Galt's ability to develop inferior talent at Maryland and have them routinely knock Clemson around shows he is superior to Joey Batson. The fact he moves on to Vanderbilt, a team equally talented to the Wake team whipping them two previous games, and transforms them into the physically dominant team was simply too obvious an indictment to overlook.

Beyond the Dwight Galt argument, I also touched again on the failures of another assistant, Ruben Mendoza. All these points are part of an ongoing process to expose the common denominator to the abysmal FAILURE in developing the football team at Clemson: Joey Batson.

He needs to go, and he needs to go NOW.

Nov 29, 2011, 4:22 PM

We are losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. We have now for a while been physically beat at the point of contact, offensively and defensively. Look at our lack of success in all short yardage situations. It seems like we can’t make one or can we stop one. Coaches teach techniques. Batson is supposed to be getting the players physically capable of performing those techniques and thus winning those battles. The strongest man wins, PERIOD.

Nov 29, 2011, 5:11 PM

I think we need to use morris' strength and conditioning plan

WOW! Thanks for the great info and time u and whoever wrote

Nov 29, 2011, 5:45 PM

the original blog for all your work on this post....although now we've added another subject to flame about. Not fun to read but the truth hurts as they say. Young/inexperienced in the back 7 on D so there were going to be, "growing pains" but our O played great till GT and got us to 8-0. We're young across the board so maybe fix this issue and see what happens with an overall team that has more pt. Only time will tell but D is the biggest reason we won the 6 we did last year. I'm not going to pretend to know anywhere near what our coaches know but that's why we pay them. IMHO, we have plenty of talent but it's young so let's see what happens after we have talent with experience....and hopefully hire the best strength/conditioning avaliable.

Re: WOW! Thanks for the great info and time u and whoever wrote

Nov 30, 2011, 10:28 AM

last year is not a good example to fall back on , it took 3 years to develop Bowers into the dominant player that everyone new he could be . Clowney is destroying as a freshman with the same amount of hype Bowers had , now whats the real difference . Brooks is an excellent line coach why is Goodman regressing and getting to fat to finish plays Mike Glennon ( not Mike Vick Mike Glennon)got the perimeter on him in NC state game and he could not catch him , he clearly quit on at least three plays against Carolina , he is over weight and slow now what happened to him?

Good read..it all makes sense***

Nov 29, 2011, 6:07 PM

Wow. Those folks named "Mendoza" really

Nov 30, 2011, 2:01 PM

so make dubious names for themselves in sports, don't they?

So, are you saying, Clemson is at or around the "Mendoza line" ?

Ouch.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic