Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Surviving a Byrd Stadium Night Game: Top Ten Items to Bring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Surviving a Byrd Stadium Night Game: Top Ten Items to Bring

Oct 13, 2011, 1:50 PM

For those of you who brave enough to head to Byrd this weekend, here's my survival guide from two years ago. I'll be the guy in the orange hardhat caring baby wipes. Good luck to the rest of you! At least it's the last trip there (thankfully)!

Having been to several day and night (shudder) games at Byrd stadium, I've compiled a list of things to bring with you to give you the best chance of surviving unscathed:

1. A helmet/hard hat: This should not be a toy, but a true helmet, i.e., something sturdy, made from at least high grade plastic. Maryland fans, mostly students, will throw things at anything orange. This includes full (yes full) beer cans and bottles. These will be thrown at individuals and families. There is no discriminating: If it's orange, it's a target.

2. Earplugs or, in the alternative, a healthy ability to disregard profanity. This will also be thrown at anything orange, especially from students. The profanity will typically come in the form of a laced-together tirade, often from multiple, simultaneous sources, whether in the stands or as you pass fans in the parking lot or tunnels/walkways. It will get steadily worse as the evening progresses. Moreover, it doesn't matter if they win or lose.

3. A fire extinguisher. Maryland students love to burn things...anything: couches, lawn mowers, each other, automobiles, small dogs. Nothing is safe. Again, the desire to commit mass-scale arson occurs win or lose. See youtube.

4. Gaffers tape: Place this over the Clemson decal or license plate on your automobile. This is very important! Maryland students/fans will urinate on any obvious Clemson vehicle. I have seen this first hand, though, understandably, mostly at night games as there is less chance to be seen. Keep in mind that these fans have plenty of ammunition, so to speak, as they have been drinking (when not throwing) beers all day.

5. No children under 12. Kids need to be at least at an age where they can outrun the inebriated, beer throwing arsonists or, at the very least, have the ability to dodge thrown objects. If you must bring young children, make sure they are outfitted with the above items, namely a helmet and earplugs. You might also want to include a blindfold, especially for girls, as there will be plenty of public urination and nudity as you're heading back to your car. (When you do get back to your car, inspect the door handles carefully for any wet substances).

6. Baby wipes. For your door handles. Just in case.

7. Friends. Lots of them. This lessens the chance of being hit by a flying object as it provides more targets. Place children in the center of the group when moving.

8. A large bladder for tailgating. The most dangerous place in any parking lot at Byrd is the port-a-potty area. Drunk arsonists congregate in these areas. Moreover, standing in line makes you a stationary target -- not good.

9. Running shoes -- no heels, no flip flops. You know why.

10. A bright, orange shirt. Cause, screw 'em, you're a Clemson fan and you're going to support your team even if it means risking life, limb and your automobile.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Go Tigers!!!

Message was edited by: BaltimoreTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excuse my ignorance..

Oct 13, 2011, 1:58 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but do you really anticipate that it will be that bad? Never made it to an away game in Maryland. However, I have seen some questionable stuff go down in Columbia and it wasn't even at a CU vs USC game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My worst experiences are at Maryland, more so than USC***

Oct 13, 2011, 2:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Agreed.***

Oct 13, 2011, 2:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maryland seems to have an extreme hate for Clemson***

Oct 13, 2011, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Excuse my ignorance.. ]

Longest running continuous series in the ACC is CU/MD...

Oct 13, 2011, 4:22 PM

60 years running.
I'd put the CU/MD as the top ACC rival for Clemson.
I always have.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I would agree that its a big ACC rival

Oct 14, 2011, 8:39 AM

I think it would get more publicity if Maryland had successful seasons more often

Re: Excuse my ignorance..

Oct 13, 2011, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Excuse my ignorance.. ]

My post is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I have witnessed all of the behavior I cite in the post. The worst was several years ago when they beat us at night to essentially clinch the ACC Championship. This time around, the Terps aren't playing very well so there should be less excitement, but, on the other, if they do find a way to win (and in so doing beat an 8th ranked team at night). I would sprint, in zig-zag fashion, to my car.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He MAY have been joking, but he is accurate.*

Oct 13, 2011, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Excuse my ignorance.. ]

nm

yes

Oct 13, 2011, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Excuse my ignorance.. ]

period

Re: Surviving a Byrd Stadium Night Game: Top Ten Items to Bring

Oct 13, 2011, 1:59 PM

is it really THAT bad????

Oct 13, 2011, 2:07 PM

Yes, I had a 9 volt battery hurled at me In college park.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my time here it looks like Maryland fans take the prize

Oct 13, 2011, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Surviving a Byrd Stadium Night Game: Top Ten Items to Bring ]

as the worst behaved in CFB, hands down. Asked fans of other ACC teams and it's not just Clemson the Terp fans hate.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I recommend a gun***

Oct 13, 2011, 2:00 PM

Re: I recommend a gun***

Oct 13, 2011, 2:04 PM

Nothing could be as bad as going to Athens.

Re: I recommend a gun***

Oct 13, 2011, 4:11 PM

Is Athens really that bad? I went to Clemson for undergrad, and I'm at UGA now for law school. We tailgate out in front of the school on North Campus, and I've never seen anything but really friendly fans.
I have a hunch, though, that it may be because Terry(the business school) and the law school both tailgate out there and there is more tolerance for other schools among the grad school crowd than maybe there would be farther south on campus.
I ask because I am just really curious what UGA fans are actually like...I feel insulated and it's hard to tell. At Clemson we treat visiting fans so well it's hard to imagine another school not doing the same (besides USuC).

Re: I recommend a gun- can't believe you said gun

Oct 13, 2011, 2:08 PM [ in reply to I recommend a gun*** ]

now the Md people will start up about their shootings and our sensitivity

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maryland will never have a tombstone,

Oct 13, 2011, 3:19 PM

you have to be RANKED

Re: I recommend a gun- can't believe you said gun

Oct 13, 2011, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: I recommend a gun- can't believe you said gun ]

Being in MD I think I'm free to say it

#11: Brass knuckles. Heck, worked for me last time there.***

Oct 13, 2011, 2:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: #11: Brass knuckles. Heck, worked for me last time there.***

Oct 13, 2011, 3:00 PM

"#11: Brass knuckles"

Role of Quarters taped good works just as good and the police won't take them from you, and you can carry them in plain sight. If you have to use them aim 6" down from their chin knock it out of the park. Lights Out

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lmao you're talkin about killin the ####***

Oct 14, 2011, 6:39 AM

Bring a condom....the clap spreads to applause there***

Oct 13, 2011, 2:09 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

I'm going to have to incognito on my way in and out of the

Oct 13, 2011, 2:13 PM

stadium. I'll be on crutches and won't be able to run very fast. :-O

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Lol bring a red shirt to throw on for the commute to/fro

Oct 14, 2011, 6:41 AM

Lane. Then when you get to your seat take it off revealing your clemson garb

#12. A big rock in every pocket

Oct 13, 2011, 2:22 PM

if they decide to hurl a battery or can or bottle into the Clemson section, return fire at will! (with no target discipline!)

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Do not disregard this post.

Oct 13, 2011, 2:36 PM

If you are going to the game, I wholeheartedly endorse these recommendations. He ain't joking one little bit.

Also, bring an airsick bag or something you can barf in. No telling WHAT their unis will look like this week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do not disregard this post.

Oct 13, 2011, 2:54 PM

Here are two examples. It is bad when they are winning but not as bad when they are losing. The night game will not help as the fans will be boozing all day.

Maryland football fan curses at 11-year old
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/maryland-football-fan-curses-at-11-year-old-boy/2011/09/13/gIQAl1YbPK_blog.html

Maryland fan tackles WVU Fan for the hell of it
http://www.diamondbackonline.com/2.2794/terps-fans-show-intensity-against-rivals-1.284649

I don't need examples.

Oct 13, 2011, 2:58 PM

Granted, I've only had one REALLY bad experience there. But it was enough to sour me completely on Maryland forever. It was THAT BAD.

It was also enough for me to know it's a culture there, and not one bad experience. The boy's right - they will throw FULL beer bottles at your head just for walking past them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2011, 3:09 PM

As a Terps season ticket holder for 10 years, the hometown tailgaters have much, much respect for the visiting fans that "bring-it" in terms of childish tailgating antics. Seen it first-hand over and over! They will also want to challenge visiting tailgaters to Case Races, so bring a spare case of your fav. brew and line up 11 other CU fans with full beer in hand. If interested, meet us in lot 4b (behind the Comcast Center), where an exorborant amount of debauchery will be had, beginning around 2:30. Remember -- we have to grow old, but we don't have to mature!!

Item #13 --- Beer bong/funnel

Oct 13, 2011, 3:18 PM

As a Terps season ticket holder for 10 years, the hometown tailgaters have much, much respect for the visiting fans that "bring-it" in terms of childish tailgating antics. Seen it first-hand over and over! They will also want to challenge visiting tailgaters to Case Races, so bring a spare case of your fav. brew and line up 11 other CU fans with full beer in hand. If interested, meet us in lot 4b (behind the Comcast Center), where an exorborant amount of debauchery will be had, beginning around 2:30. Remember -- we have to grow old, but we don't have to mature!!

Everybody should take a video camera and film it all.

Oct 13, 2011, 3:23 PM

Then post it for us all to see.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ - have your cellphone video recorders ready***

Oct 13, 2011, 3:57 PM

And it has been that way for a long time. It was bad in the

Oct 13, 2011, 3:29 PM

80s. You could have posted this 30 years ago and been accurate.

Great- Read this just after getting tickets to the game!

Oct 13, 2011, 3:30 PM

Wish me luck...single mom with teenage boys. Lord, help me. :)

Re: Great- Read this just after getting tickets to the game!

Oct 13, 2011, 3:54 PM

Teenage boys are pretty nimble. As long as you're all in running shoes and otherwise properly equipped, I'd say you have a fighting chance. ;)

Well-written, my friend! Point!***

Oct 13, 2011, 3:46 PM

Own less, do more.

Most SEC fans I've talked to tell me that Georgia is their

Oct 13, 2011, 4:18 PM

Terp fans. They say that Dawg fans are the worst and have similar horror stories as ours do with the twerps.

I've heard LSU

Oct 13, 2011, 5:11 PM

My son plays in an "unmentioned" marching band. Played at LSU last year...said they threw stuff on them all night

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: I've heard LSU

Oct 13, 2011, 10:30 PM

I'm actually at a trial with an LSU alum. She claims they are misunderstood. ;)

Don't go anywhere near the student section. Period.

Oct 13, 2011, 4:21 PM

Find out where it is and just steer clear. I've been twice (day games) without incident, but the student section seemed rough!

d@## yankees!***

Oct 13, 2011, 4:32 PM

Suicide pills, should you be captured and taken to a cellar.***

Oct 13, 2011, 10:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2011, 12:16 AM

Many of these posts explain ultimately why we have awesome attendance, and their attendance STINKS!

Who would want to go to the game, if that's what you're dealing with..IDIOTS!

Go Tigers!!!

3 words: Prince George's County

Oct 14, 2011, 8:26 AM

nuff said

^^^ He ain't lying folks, they are worse than the bad at SUC***

Oct 14, 2011, 8:41 AM

Never been hit by anything, but public urination--YES...

Oct 14, 2011, 9:16 AM

I witnessed them urinating on one of our buses.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I heard this warning on the radio

Oct 14, 2011, 9:46 AM

I don't remember who it was talking but on one of the radio talk shows the other day the host was talking about how bad it was for a Maryland night game and he was not talking about the Clemson game in particular. I think this weeks game started the conversation hut he really lamblasted the Maryland fans about their actions and I do remember that it was not a local show but a national talk show host that had no ties to Clemson.

This is what a post is supposed to look like...

Oct 14, 2011, 10:10 AM

Nice work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Item #14: Concealed Weapons License

Oct 14, 2011, 5:58 PM

Title says it all

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic