Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1981 vs. 2011
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

1981 vs. 2011

Sep 15, 2011, 8:53 AM

There have been many posts discussing the difference in 1981 and 2011. Some of the younger generation wants to know if the fan base was the “same” in 1981. The older generation remembers the glory days of the 80’s and are genuinely concerned about the direction of, um, “things.” Here are just a few examples of the difference in 1981 and today.

In 1981, the only source that fans could receive updates on the team was when the local newspaper arrived. These articles were written by sports-writers who were obviously pro-Clemson, so not many negative sentiments were written. You didn’t have the convenience of reading every newspaper online. There were no such things as Blogs or websites. There was nothing negative, expect for an occasional Letter to the Editor.

If someone wanted to watch the news, you had to be in front of the television at 6:00 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. and hope that the station mentioned Clemson during their 2 minute sports update. You didn’t have the luxury of flipping to ESPN, Fox SportsSouth, or 100 different channels with ex-coaches and players dissecting each and every program to the “nth” degree.

In 1981, to discuss Clemson athletics, you had to either go to the barbershop, coffee shop or hang out with your friend. Chat rooms and discussion boards didn’t exist. We didn’t have a forum where we could anonymously to say that “Danny Ford sucks” after a close loss to Wofford and receive instant feedback from 100’s of fans which agreed (or disagreed).

In 1981, families grabbed their fried chicken and packed the station wagons to go to Death Valley regardless of the teams’ record or the head coach. It was more of a privilege to go to attend the games – not a right. We didn’t complain about a noon kickoff. In fact, we enjoyed it. We were able to leave our home early in the morning and be home before the sun went down. And, every time, we were all hoarse from screaming all day.

In 1981, people were more polite. It was disrespectful to “boo” – especially your own team. In 1981, you cheered for Clemson because it was…well…Clemson. You wore Orange no matter how the team played the week before.

Here we are, 30 years later. The internet has revolutionized everything. We don’t have the leave the confines of our house and/or office to get news. We have Clemson sports news 24/7. It’s gives us a forum to criticize the coaches and the players. We have a forum to start a “fire” and fan the flames. We want to fire coaches and criticize the play calling. We call the administration “idiots.” John Swofford is the “devil” and people debate about crazy, trivial things. In 2011, we definitely have exercised our Freedom of Speech.

In 2011, there are some fans who think that it’s absolutely acceptable to “boo” these young men who basically train all year to represent Clemson. There are fans that still think it’s correct to boo the opposing team as they enter the Stadium. Personally, I don’t remember Clemson fans doing this in 1981.

In 2011, we get mad because kickoff is set for 12:00; therefore, we don’t have time to drink our beer. My, oh my, how our priorities have changed. It used to be about football.

Times are different. But one thing remains constant -- We love Clemson. We are passionate. We want to win. If you are a fair-weathered fan, you may sit at home and don’t bring your negativity to Death Valley.

Let’s get our chicken, pack our car and get to Death Valley early on Saturday. Let’s walk into the stadium early, with our Orange. Shake an Auburn fans hand before the game and welcome them to Death Valley. Let’s have the stadium rocking with our positive vibes and cheers – and not the boos.

And, at the end of the day, after we BEAT Auburn, politely shake an Auburn fan’s hand again – thank them for coming, and tell them you hope they have a safe trip home.

GO TIGERS! (

P.S. Oh, and don’t “woo hoo.” We didn’t do that in 1981 either. It's annoying.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GREAT post!***

Sep 15, 2011, 9:11 AM

Re: 1981 vs. 2011

Sep 15, 2011, 9:15 AM

Very well said!!!! GOOO TIGERS!!! :)

Sep 15, 2011, 9:20 AM

Well said golfer2988. I was 10 years old in 1981 and I grew up in a seat in the upper deck with my parents and brothers next to me. You are right, times have changed. Back then you never saw a drunk stumbling through the parking lot, nobody ever stole your tailgaiting stuff while you were in the stadium, and the opposing team was NEVER booed as they took the field. It never crossed anyone's mind to boo the tigers at home because the person next to you would kick your butt. My nephew attends games with me now, he is 5, and it bothers me that I have to tell him that we don't boo anybody.

I miss the glory days of tiger football too, but I know great things are on the horizon.....keep the faith Tiger Nation!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2011, 12:36 PM

While I disagree with Booing, always have,...has to do with the way I was brought up,.... Nevertheless, I have to admit that there are some things you should expect to happen after two decades of mediocre football.

Couple things to consider...

Sep 15, 2011, 9:22 AM

I'm not sure if we played ANY noon games in '81. Most were at 1PM and with a seating capacity of only about 70K, it was much easier to get those 70K in for a 1PM game than 83K for a noon game.

There were many fewer competitors for fans hard earned money than there is today. Not to mention, that even after adjusted for inflation, the cost of games was much less. The more expensive the investment, the more critical the investor. Where I am going with this is, while I do not and never have booed our team/coaching staff, I clearly understand why a fan may do so. Not saying its right, but I understand.

Opposing teams WERE booed as they came into the stadium. One of the reasons that teams back then (and still today) will often try and time their entrance with when Clemson comes down the hill.

Maybe not '81, but around '82 "Devil" would have been a much nicer term for John Swofford than what most Clemson fans called him.

Following declining win totals, there were ALOT of fans that were questioning Coach Ford in 1981...whether it be in the barber shop, coffee shop or whereever. Ask an old timer about their thoughts after the 13-5 Tulane victory in '81.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but because the loud minority is even louder today than in '81 doesn't mean they still didn't yell back then...

Finally, you are right...there was no whoo-hoo and it was glorious. Why on why can't that be stopped!?

You're right, there was lots of bellyaching in DV too

Sep 15, 2011, 1:26 PM

in the 80's when the tigers had the ball.

I remember people shouting 'What a surprise Danny, right up the middle again!'
and similar.

As a kid, the offense was really boring to watch. Straight up the middle for 2,3,4 yards over and over. Punt. Then a few times a game there would be a pass, or even better - a reverse!

And yes, there was some booing - at the refs/other teams as I remember it. Also some drunk people.

But no woo-hoo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Re: Couple things to consider...

Sep 16, 2011, 2:48 AM [ in reply to Couple things to consider... ]

That was true about the 1981 capacity, but in 1983 the second deck opened and they had about 84k people in there.
So it's been that way for awhile. I watched the first deck being built..pretty amazing.
Lot's of fond memories of those games. Think the stadium was a little more intimate without the upper decks, not that I would want to go back to that...I like how impressive it looks!
Goooo Tigers!

Sep 15, 2011, 9:31 AM

Nice. I never had the luxury of attending in the station wagon but I do remember the fried chicken traditions. I was born in 79 and remember Clemson vividly as early as 82 or realistically 83, more likely. I agree with the whole booing thing. It's this new generation of I deserve everything mentality. It's sad, but true for the whole generation not just Clemson fan's. I'm spoiled with the internet era myself, but I don't mind a noon kickoff so much other than the players having less time to pump themselves up mentally. But then again less time to get nervous. It also allows time, for the drinkers, and I do enjoy a few cold ones or six, to soak back a hard loss after the game and still make it to church if you have to or want to the next morning........or just watch the sun go down in the valley from a lake dock, a back porch or some place placid! Great post my friend. I hope we get that swagger back. I've been waiting about 30 years now for it!! Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: LuciusVI®

Sep 15, 2011, 9:40 AM

That about covers it.Good post

I think what you are commenting on is not Clemson

Sep 15, 2011, 9:53 AM

in particular, but our society in general. The changes in the attitude and behavior of the fanbase in Clemson is not isolated. It's the way our culture has gone.
But I can tell you, we are still way better than a whole lot of other places.

I went to my first game in 1987. As long as I can remember, we have boo-ed the opposing teams entrance. I thought it was stupid then, and is still stupid. The Troy game was the first time I recall fans apparently boo-ing the team, except maybe the '93 Wake game. That was a low point in Clemson football, imo.

But I know from my days at games when Ford was coach, from 1 to 4 on a Sat he was the dumbest SOB in the world. The internet is simply a forum, not the cause of opinions or behavior we don't like. But I like having it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to point this, however

Sep 15, 2011, 9:46 AM

I'm pretty sure there were a "few" boos at the UGA came when they came on the field. :)

But you are right - life was a tad slower 30 years ago when I was a freshman and the Esso Club actually had gas for sale. Did I just type "30" - wow seems like yesterday.

Yep, we did boo UGa that day.***

Sep 15, 2011, 10:25 AM

Winning vs Losing

Sep 15, 2011, 9:53 AM

Thats the difference. People like to remember the past as a bright shinning example for good behavior. Please, their were disrespectful people then and now. The difference is winning. You win and all these problems go away. I love Danny Ford, but I don't think he would have thanked an opposing fan for coming to DV and beating us. I've been to alot of stadium including last years Auburn game and was cussed out for 4 solid hours. Payback is a &^%$#.

Grandma Vacuums Cat GIF - Grandma Vacuums Cat
see more Gifs

Re: Winning vs Losing

Sep 15, 2011, 1:22 PM

Just because you were cussed out for 4 solid hours last year at Auburn, does not mean that's the right thing to do. You should be better than that. Don't stoop to their level. Let's show them the right way to act -- win or lose.

Maybe you don't say anything because they would take that

Sep 16, 2011, 11:57 AM

golf club away from you and beat you to death. Old Clemson fans were rowdy no matter what all these older people say. People hated to play us for multiple reasons. LSU has the worst fans in the nation, but one of the best teams. Just sayin.

Grandma Vacuums Cat GIF - Grandma Vacuums Cat
see more Gifs

Totally agree!! Thanks!***

Sep 15, 2011, 10:05 AM

Great post! ... but, don't forget 1961-1981

Sep 15, 2011, 10:07 AM

What is largely overlooked by people too young to have been around ... and certainly that's 95% of Tigernet ... is the 20+ years of mediocre-poor Clemson football that led up to what fans today refer to fondly as The Glory Years.

For the most part, older Clemson fans are more patient for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is that they realize from actual first-hand experience that Clemson football was being played before the glory years and that the glory years represent a relatively short "blip" on the radar of the overall history of Clemson football.

Even though Clemson didn't have a bowl invitation from 1959 untill 1977, Clemson fans still pulled for the Tigers every weekend and still loved to tailgate before and after games.

While we always have booed the officials for bad calls and we have always booed lustily when the Gamecocks enterd Death Valley, in general, I don't remember anyone ever booing our players or coaches back then. Maybe it happened as it became apparent that Hootie Ingram was not going to get it done in the early 70s and I suppose it probably did happen during the pitiful 2-9 season in 1975 after expectations had been so sky-high.

But, booing was the exception, and not the rule. If there was booing, it was scattered and it was not the result of a simple casual decision by the boo-er.

I agree with pretty much everything the original poster said and would only add that all those points were even more valid in the era prior to the "Glory Years".

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great post! ... but, don't forget 1961-1981

Sep 16, 2011, 2:58 AM

I agree. I was there, too.
I was very disappointed in losing, but we always supported
the Tigers! We still had 45k fans there, when the stadium only held about 55k or so.
Still, was extremely proud to be a Tiger!
Not sure today's fan would understand that.
:)

Good Post....And another thing to consider is that the

Sep 15, 2011, 10:11 AM

players have changes too. I'm not saying there aren't still some throw-back style attitudes among some of the players, but the majority of the players have a much different attitude these days.

Uh...John Swofford was the devil back then as well.***

Sep 15, 2011, 7:09 PM

If this were an email, I would have hit "delete"***

Sep 15, 2011, 7:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If this were an email, I would have hit "delete"***

Sep 16, 2011, 11:54 AM

In 1981, email wouldn't have existed.

HOF post right there*******

Sep 15, 2011, 7:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2011, 3:00 AM

Thanks for the great post...much appreciated.

In 1981 I walked to Tri Co Tec in 5 ' of snow, bare footed***

Sep 16, 2011, 6:14 AM

Sep 16, 2011, 7:10 AM

Great post. You touched on something that I feel strongly about, which is booing the opponents as they enter. There's really no need for that. I can see it for a couple teams that we really hate (USC, UGA, maybe even Ga Tech) but in general I feel like it's disrespectful and serves no purpose. The opposing teams love it, I'd wager. I know I loved being booed off the field when our marching band visited other stadiums. It makes you feel like you're getting under the skin of the home team. A much better act would be to simply ignore the visiting team as they come on. Indifference is much more effective a weapon than disdain, in my opinion.

As for booing players, I think that's absolutely unacceptable unless they do something unsportsmanlike.

Seriously, I think people are just a lot more aware

Sep 16, 2011, 9:38 AM

of what is going on in the back ground of the world and it whizzing us off. People were just blissfully ignorant back then

Sep 16, 2011, 11:02 AM

I was only two years old in 81 but I couldn't agree more with this post....

GO TIGERS

As usual,CharlestonTom gets the jack @ss post of the day***

Sep 16, 2011, 11:13 AM

Re: As usual,CharlestonTom gets the jack @ss post of the day***

Sep 16, 2011, 11:57 AM

http://www.hark.com/clips/rtfzfbktzb-that-little-droids-going-to-cause-me-a-lotta-trouble

Great points. Hell I hate to say it, but if we could clean

Sep 16, 2011, 12:41 PM

up the rest of it I could almost, I do mean almost, stomach the woo hoo

GO TIGERS!!

Would love to shake your hand!!!!!!***

Sep 16, 2011, 1:15 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive