Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
this nugget from Tommy West can provide goot DT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

this nugget from Tommy West can provide goot DT

Jul 21, 2011, 9:44 AM

discussion.

Some of this sounds awfully familiar

From a TI Interview a friend sent to me:

on a player Idris Price West says: "That was a really, really bad deal. A bad deal. Our administration decided that they weren't going to let him play. I remember that we went so far into that, that we were going to let him take a lie detector test.

"This was more us (Clemson than the NCAA). They questioned the test score. And he was a heck of a linebacker. We're getting ready to go to Chapel Hill and I remember that's a point where we had already gone through a lot of distractions from within. It's hard enough to beat Florida State. You can't be fighting battles from within your own university. And I was fighting for him."

and

Ard: One of your assistant football coaches told me one time, "They want us to be Princeton here six days a week and then be Clemson on Saturdays." Was that the way it was from your vantage point?

West: "Part of that perception is because of the conference, maybe not now but at that time. I always used to tell people that they never realized how good an academic school Clemson is. I always felt like Clemson had a chip on its shoulder about some things, because it was selective in admissions but perhaps wasn't as known academically as some of the other universities in the conference, despite Clemson being a great academic institution.

"At this point in time in the 1990s I thought our administration decided that test scores were more important than Clemson. And I loved Clemson because Clemson was great granddaddy, son, daughter and just everybody went there. It was a family place. It was a college for people of the state of South Carolina. But I saw us changing. And now if a kid from Cheraw, South Carolina wants to go to Clemson and has the score and his whole family has gone to Clemson but there is a better test score in New Jersey, then all of a sudden we started taking other people. And that had nothing to do with football, but I did see Clemson changing at that time for what I felt was for the worst."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

before anyone dismisses the comments as sour grapes

Jul 21, 2011, 9:52 AM

dont bother, this is just one part of a lengtjy 4 part interview in which in several instances Tommy West claims responsibility for and points out many mistakes he thought he made that led to his demise, He was actually very humble and accountable not shedding the blame. very insightful interview with a lot of stuff people may not have known about

Re: before anyone dismisses the comments as sour grapes

Jul 21, 2011, 10:01 AM

All of these interviews with our former coaches have been very informative. Much of this stuff happened back before the internet and newspapers just did not have access to this kind of information. Good stuff. A real eye opener!

I know they are great

Jul 21, 2011, 10:10 AM

and unfortunately there seems to be one common theme, which I think is what has set us back and hold us back and that is every coach has mentioned a disconnect between the athletic department and administration. Through these interviews you can see that disconnect getting larger and larger through the years. This started when the AD McLellan and RC Edwards left the University. These guys seemed to be the glue and as each left the program, well you have seen the results.

Re: Tommy had the misfortune of working for an AD

Jul 21, 2011, 10:22 AM

who was a dumb kisser upper with no cahoonas.

So, Clemson has academic ##### envy.

Jul 21, 2011, 10:10 AM

Academic ego issues impeding athletic success. Who would have thought....

I always liked Tommy West

Jul 21, 2011, 10:15 AM

I never thought he was right as head coach, but I always thought he was a great guy. I think he would be great at ESPN or somewhere, if he doesn't go back to DC somewhere.

Re: I liked him too. He took over from Mr. Personality

Jul 21, 2011, 10:27 AM

who benefited from Ford's program and eventually left West with very little.

He is DC at UAB. Really good guy.***

Jul 21, 2011, 10:28 AM [ in reply to I always liked Tommy West ]

Re: this nugget from Tommy West can provide goot DT

Jul 21, 2011, 10:17 AM

The administration was probably skiddish and still trying to change the football programs image after the Ford days (whether Ford was fired due to violations or not). I think it's been that way since he left. There isn't as much of a commitment to winning these days, as there was once upon a time.

yeah the only commitment we show is to sportsmanship

Jul 21, 2011, 10:18 AM

lol

so much RAGE after reading these series of articles

Jul 21, 2011, 10:56 AM

I honestly hope Max Lennon catches the worst cause of Herpes ever known to man

cu's football program caught the worst case of herpes ever

Jul 21, 2011, 10:58 AM

known to man; they call it Lennon.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always liked Tommy

Jul 21, 2011, 11:06 AM

and he will always be remembered for his character than his record, thankfully. I remember him being carried off the field by the team after the SC win to end his tenure. I'll always remember that.

after reading the interview its painfull to see how close he

Jul 21, 2011, 11:21 AM

was to succeeding and with just a little help from the administration and a few things falling a different way he might still be our coach today. Had he been able to get some of those recruits he had committed in academically (unfortunately the NCAA was fine with some of them but out admin still wouldnt let them in) and hadnt had some of the attrition and discipline problems its hard not to believe he would have been a very successfull coach. He made a few bad decisions and hires here and there but those could be corrected. What he couldnt overcome was the attrition, discipline, and being handcuffed in recruiting to get the players in

THIS - New Jersey over SC

Jul 21, 2011, 11:21 AM

"I loved Clemson because Clemson was great granddaddy, son, daughter and just everybody went there. It was a family place. It was a college for people of the state of South Carolina. But I saw us changing. And now if a kid from Cheraw, South Carolina wants to go to Clemson and has the score and his whole family has gone to Clemson but there is a better test score in New Jersey, then all of a sudden we started taking other people. And that had nothing to do with football, but I did see Clemson changing at that time for what I felt was for the worst."

This is exactly correct and why I don't like Barker or the BOT.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly- this is 1 of the founding principles that seems to

Jul 21, 2011, 11:23 AM

have been lost

And now we seem to turn down

Jul 21, 2011, 11:41 AM [ in reply to THIS - New Jersey over SC ]

so many in-state residents who are good students and want to go to Clemson so we can take a kid with a better SAT score who wants to go to a southern school because of the weather.

Keep this up and USuck fans will outnumber us 3-1 in SC.

However, this seems to be the case with almost all schools. GPAs are second to a test score.

I've always thought that a prospective student

Jul 21, 2011, 11:55 AM

should need to interview before being accepted into college... but maybe that is against the rules or they could spin it into some kind of discrimination? I don't know.

I recall writing an essay on my Clemson application

Jul 21, 2011, 12:05 PM

I think it was optional but I had been told by some veteran faculty members at my HS that I "should" write one. I still remember my English teacher proof-read it for me.

Re: And now we seem to turn down

Jul 21, 2011, 12:22 PM [ in reply to And now we seem to turn down ]

High School GPAs are pretty much useless these days.

The difficulty varies across schools so much that you could have a 4.0 (or 5.0 if you use the AP scales) score a 1100 on the SAT (old scoring system) and have a 3.2 at another school score a 1500.

Hate them if you will, but the SAT/ACT are the best/ most fair measure of aptitude out there currently.

USC will almost always outnumber us in in-state students, both in terms of percentage of student body and raw number because they have a larger overall student population, and Clemson has much more rigorous academic standards. I am fine with that. I am from SC, but let's face it, there aren't that many kids from SC scoring well enough to get in to Clemson.

Well, they do pay higher tuition, so do the math..***

Jul 21, 2011, 1:07 PM [ in reply to And now we seem to turn down ]

Re: THIS - New Jersey over SC

Jul 21, 2011, 5:11 PM [ in reply to THIS - New Jersey over SC ]

Half of all my classes it seemed like my freshman year were full of New Jersians (Born and raised in Irmo SC here) it was rather ridiculous... this was 2 years ago by the way. I drove 3 people who were from NJ and 1 person from Maryland to go to the Maryland game in 2009.

This whole "NJ/Ohio/Northern influx of students" thread

Jul 21, 2011, 5:24 PM

comes up at least once a year on Tigernet. I think it's a really interesting discussion. Since Barker and his "initiative" has been in place we've seen more students from those regions admitted, potentially over SC students. I don't have the admission stats to back that up, but that is the perception on Tigernet, at least. Whether or not that is a good thing for Clemson University (do they give back to Clemson/Clemson AD as much as instate students? etc, etc) is going to a constant point of contention for quite some time, I suspect.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic