Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
History vs Present Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

History vs Present Day

Apr 8, 2011, 1:07 PM

What is history to a high school kid? Ronald Reagan, George H W Bush and Johnny Carson are history. Viet Nam, Nixon and Kennedy are ancient history. Teens think the Braves have always won the East, Notre Dame and the 49ers have always been losers.

2011 offers a chance for my chickins to write some history, perhaps Garcia screwed that into the ground. 2011 offers the Tigers a chance to gain ground and set up 2012 as "THE YEAR".

Saturday's Spring games will give fans an idea of the future but the kids playing have no concept of history.

Clemson absolutely owns the football series history, no doubt about that. But for 5th year seniors the coots are 3-2 and have won 2 in a row. In baseball, Tanner's boys from SC continue to get it done.

Here's to injury free games at both schools.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson to "gain ground"??

Apr 8, 2011, 1:15 PM

As compared to who, uSC?? Are you aware that, even though you upset us in 2009, you still finished 42nd compared to our 25th? You reckon kids saw us play for the ACC title and a BCS bowl birth just 2 seasons ago? What kids are you referring to here, 1 year olds? Does anyone other than coots even know uSC is 3-2 against Clemson in the last 5 years? Are you aware Clemson has finished higher ranked in 3 of those 5 years? What about the last 10? 20? Do you really think kids see uSC as a better football program overall? LOL. EVERYONE knows Clemson is, virtually every year, a better football program than uSC. Don't be blinded by your fleeting "success". You haven't proven anything.

Agreed...

Apr 8, 2011, 1:48 PM

The "Clemson to gain ground" comment is pretty funny. The ##### beat us twice in a row for the first time since the 70's in football, most educated people know that. While the ##### have stepped it up a notch, you're just now at the level where you actually compete with us in football. The dominance is no secret. They all know that Clemson owns the state of SC when it comes to sports. I'll give you major props for bringing home the world series trophy last year. Lately you 've had our number in baseball. Just remember that while you all have been great for the last 15 years, Clemson has been great for the last 25 years when it comes to baseball. We just have yet to bring home the trohphy, but it will happen soon enough. As for football, go ahead and celebrate your best years now, because soon enough you'll look back on these days as the "glory days". Clemson will once again slaughter your football program as usual, starting this year. For the time being, I'd suggest you use most of your time praying that Garcia makes it back in the line-up, so you have a shot. Oh and I agree, here's to an injury free Saturday!

Go Tigers!

Re: Clemson to "gain ground"??

Apr 8, 2011, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Clemson to "gain ground"?? ]

USC bowl wins - FOUR
Conf titles - ONE
Natl titles - ZERO
Coaches to leave school with a winning record - ONE

Clemson bowl wins - SIXTEEN
Conf Titles - NINETEEN
Natl titles - ONE
Coaches to leave school with a winning record - FIFTEEN

Gaining ground? What????????

YES "Gain Ground"

Apr 8, 2011, 3:21 PM

in 2011 with a new OC + system, unproven QB and plenty of new players who will have to learn the ropes. Gain ground from 2010 when you went 6-7 and finished 5th in the Atlantic. I expect Tigers are looking at 8-4 or maybe 9-3 and that sets up a 2012 season that could be the best in years. My gaining ground comment was not a SC-CU comparison but a 2010 to 2011 one.

Cool

Apr 8, 2011, 3:28 PM

Typically you "gain ground" on another team or program. But if you simply meant improve from 2010 and show promise for 2011 and 2012 then it makes sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ah ok, not Clemson to uSC... Clemson to Clemson.***

Apr 8, 2011, 5:31 PM [ in reply to YES "Gain Ground" ]

I'd imagine CU's 5th year seniors are aware...

Apr 8, 2011, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Clemson to "gain ground"?? ]

"Does anyone other than coots even know uSC is 3-2 against Clemson in the last 5 years?"

Pretty much like every SR class that has come through uSC

Apr 8, 2011, 5:38 PM

.. since the day you were born...except 1-4 is probably a little closer to the norm. But heck, I don't blame you for basking in your 3-2 margin. Probably the first 5 year winning margin you've ever had. I do wonder why you're so focused on that range though?

Valid point***

Apr 8, 2011, 5:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

My entire point was from the perspective of this generation

Apr 8, 2011, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Pretty much like every SR class that has come through uSC ]

of players. The history and mindset of current events are pretty much all that matters to teens and college kids. I'm positive all those Tiger classes took great pride in their dominance of the rivalry. I'd imagine the current players on both sides know exactly where things stand. This November should be interesting and I look forward to the season for both schools.

Riiiight.

Apr 9, 2011, 11:03 AM

This generation has seen Clemson dominate uSC. Winning 2 in a row for the first time in 40 years doesn't mean the dominance has changed. Period. In summary, your "gain ground" idea was completely destroyed. Furthermore, pretending you meant "Clemson gaining ground on Clemson" is laughable. You should be ashamed for even trying that.

February 4, 2009, November 1, 2003

Apr 8, 2011, 1:35 PM

February 4, 2009---Basketball final: Clemson 74 Duke 47

November 1, 2003:--Football final: Wake 45 Clemson 17

Yes, odd things are bound to happen every once in a while, it happens with every team, in every sport.

I do not think any level headed Wake Forest or Duke fans expected those things above to become the norm. This past year is pretty much an example of how our history with those teams has always been in those sports. Only in chicken land do you guys think that a couple of year stretch of things happening that do not normally happen is going to change history.

I can get down with that.

Apr 8, 2011, 1:49 PM

As far as the injury free games at both schools.

However, as far as 'history' goes, you won the SEC East last season and got to play for an SEC Championship (when, and let's be real - the SEC East was very down). The year before that, we won the ACC Atlantic (and yes, also an awful division) and played for the ACC Championship. You also won back to back games for the first time in 40 years (which was mentioned several times following your win over us this past season).

We also just brought in the no. 8 recruiting class in the country.

What I'm saying is what someone mentioned above, I don't think we have to 'gain ground'. We've still got some great players, we were in the ACC Championship in '09 and we had our first losing season in 12 years (some other notable teams with losing records were Georgia and Texas, but that doesn't mean that their programs are in shambles).

Re: History vs Present Day

Apr 8, 2011, 1:54 PM
school.jpg(239.0 K)

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic