Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Never forget........Tar Holes/ACC punishment of Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Never forget........Tar Holes/ACC punishment of Clemson

Sep 23, 2010, 3:01 PM

I don't know if this has been posted, but kudos to this author.

http://www.thetigernews.com/news.php?aid=6459&sid=3

the last few paragraphs are gold...

While Clemson was certainly not alone in its… er… egregious cheating, we were the ones unlucky enough to catch the attention of the NCAA, thanks to some helpful tip-offs from UGA’s Vince Dooley and NC State’s Monte Kiffin. In 1982, the NCAA wasted no time in dropping the hammer on us. All in all, the sanctions spanned two years of scholarship reductions, a two-year bowl ban and a two-year television ban — a stiff punishment, but a just one.

It is at this point in the story that our self-righteous, baby blue friends from Chapel Hill decided to enter the fray. Joining forces with the athletic director from Duke, UNC athletic director John Swofford (yes, the one that is now ACC Commissioner. Don’t even get me started on that…) called a meeting between every ACC athletic director except Clemson’s.

In the meeting, Swofford stated that the sanctions the NCAA handed down to Clemson were not stiff enough and proposed a vote to extend Clemson’s probation from two years to three. All the schools present consented with the exceptions of Maryland and Wake Forest, who were appalled at the idea of further punishing a fellow conference member. The two schools’ representatives left the meeting in disgust when Swofford suggested that the votes remain anonymous.

In other words, when Clemson was enduring its lowest moment as a football program, UNC elected to pile on and kick the dog when it was down. And all the while, they passed themselves off as the morally superior ones. But the current academic scandal and NCAA investigation has now completely shattered that façade.

For a program that only deigned its nose at poor hillbilly Clemson and its renegade football program over the past couple decades, UNC now finds itself in no position to judge others. They have forfeited the right to condescend.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And that's just the beginning of why I hate those tree

Sep 23, 2010, 3:05 PM

huggers in Orange County, NC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tree huggers in chapel hill?***

Sep 23, 2010, 3:07 PM

Always thought of Swoff as more of an inseam measurer.....

Sep 23, 2010, 3:19 PM

....based on the shorts punishment thing he tried during last fall football camp

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are more almond or pecan huggers, maybe peanut?***

Sep 23, 2010, 8:41 PM [ in reply to And that's just the beginning of why I hate those tree ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never forget........Tar Holes/ACC punishment of Clemson

Sep 23, 2010, 3:21 PM

Time to return the favor. Terry Don, call a meeting of all the ADs except UNC.

You're kidding yourself if you think TDP would rock the boat***

Sep 23, 2010, 4:55 PM

This is why hatred for UNC should be scriven on the hearts..

Sep 23, 2010, 3:22 PM

of every Clemson fan.

I don't really hate UNC.....

Sep 23, 2010, 3:31 PM

....it is something much stronger.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^Gets it^^^^^***

Sep 23, 2010, 10:39 PM

Sep 23, 2010, 3:35 PM

When was the last time someone got a television ban?

Sep 23, 2010, 3:41 PM

I say screw them and give them the death penalty. Those scum suckers deserve more actually.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2010, 3:46 PM

Death penalty all the way. Whatever they get we definitely need to add on to it.

it was amazing that the ACC dod this when you consider

Sep 23, 2010, 3:44 PM

the multiple extended probation for NCSU in basketball in the 1960s and 1970s which were way worse than the CU issues in 1982 .

Is that really true? I know the part about the ACC giving

Sep 23, 2010, 3:51 PM

us the additional year is true and the athletic directors had to vote for it, but I mean the part about Swofford calling the meeting, etc.

I'd like to see the sources for that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would as well. Was Swofford really that involved?***

Sep 23, 2010, 5:09 PM

Salute the flag

Sep 23, 2010, 3:56 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

Sep 23, 2010, 3:59 PM

That's why my hatred of UNC is always second to the Chickens.
And it always will be. I try not to relish in other programs getting in trouble because those things always come around, but I LOVE seeing the Tar Holes in trouble.
A friend of mine covers the team and said it's going to be BAD. Not SMU bad, because the NCAA has said it won't ever do that to another program but as close to that as the NCAA wants to get.

Sep 23, 2010, 4:23 PM

I am not usually a conspiracy theory kind of person but it was clear at the time the UNC has a hard on for Clemson football. What is interesting to me is that the same type senario is what actually forced USC from the ACC. Frank McGuire and USC basketball was on the "hit list" of the Duke/UNC AD's. There was a very good article about it in either the Columbia or Charleston newpaper (for which someone on Tnet posted a link) about a month or so back. They also held an meeting of all the AD's, excluding USC back then. Hard to imagine how that would actually be acceptable but, it has happened more than once in the ACC.

you much on carrying a grudge?***

Sep 23, 2010, 4:57 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic