Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The rest of the story (MD series)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,545

The rest of the story (MD series)

Jun 17, 2010, 9:03 AM

Several weeks ago I posted that I'd taken my son to the Tigers-Terps Friday game in College Park. What I failed to mention later was that we returned on Sunday (Saturday was out since he had his own little league game that day). As Tigers everywhere are getting set for this weekend--and hopefully the next--I wanted to finish off this tale. Hopefully there are a few dads out there who'll find something worthwhile here.

When we showed up on Sunday (with Maryland mom along, since it was Mother's Day and, bless her, she's a wonderful sport about all things Clemson), we sat back down by the Clemson dugout. First thing, one of the players walked up and asked Caleb (my son) how his game went the day before. I couldn't believe it, and the grin on Caleb's face was indescribable. Coach Leggett was sitting on a bucket of baseballs, writing something (I figured the lineup card or whatever), and then turned around and called Caleb's name. He tossed him the baseball he'd been signing. It was personalized and filled up with purple Sharpie. Mind you, Caleb had not approached anyone; these guys simply stepped up and did these things.

The crowning touch was when Mike Freeman's dad gave Caleb a batting practice ball he'd found and we had the players sign it at the bus after the game. The players remembered the kid and several of them took the extra time to chat with us even though I'm sure they were ready to shower up and get started on that long bus trip back to Tigertown. We told them we'd see them in Omaha and a couple of players grinned and said, "Hope so." Of course, at the time, Omaha looked like anything but a lock.

Anyway, like Tiger fans everywhere, I'm proud of what our baseball team put together, especially late in the season. I'm even prouder to have this caliber of young men and coaches representing our alma mater. There was a whole lot of generosity that weekend--well above and beyond anything folks needed to do just to represent themselves well. It reminded me again how proud I am to fly the Paw in front of my house and have it on my car plates. More importantly, it made a nine-year-old a Tiger fan for life and gave him a wonderful lesson on what it means to conduct oneself the right way in that kind of setting.

Happy (early)Father's Day to Tiger dads--and all dads--everywhere. And, yeah, we'll be sitting in section P of Rosenblatt on Sunday evening, pulling for these guys every pitch. As so many have said on here over the years. . .It really is great to be a Tiger.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome. Thanks for sharing! +1***

Jun 17, 2010, 9:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Didn't catch the first part but "the rest of the story" was

Jun 17, 2010, 9:34 AM

great. Just another reminder of the class our players and coaches have in all sports. Great to be a tiger and I'm sure it's a day you and Caleb will never forget.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The rest of the story (MD series)

Jun 17, 2010, 9:59 AM

What a great story! Our teams and coaches are great people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2010, 12:01 PM

Yes,
I have a very similar story. We live in Winston-Salem & were at the Wake–Clemson game (either 2003/2004) with 2 of our kids. During the game our kids chased down a foul ball.

They planned to get some of the player’s autographs (K. Green especially) after the game. They asked the first player out of the field gate to sign it and boom automatically the ball was passed to all players. Each signedThe last person to sign the ball was Jack. He also spoke to our kids about baseball and stuff.

There is a very similar story in the HOF board from early

Jun 17, 2010, 12:06 PM

2000's too, which I forwarded to Michael Johnson's mom recently. She was touched at how the team and her son had made such an impression on a kid.

This is a familiar story with the baseball team and it emanates from Leggett. We're lucky to have him at Clemson, despite what some knee-jerkers were saying in the middle of the season this year.

Jun 17, 2010, 12:05 PM

thanks for sharing...yes it is great to be a clemson tiger

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,545
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic