Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
C J's NYC Arrival - LONG, but worth the time!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,400

C J's NYC Arrival - LONG, but worth the time!

Apr 27, 2010, 11:03 AM

The following was written by Carrie Dean, VP of the NYC/Tri-State Clamson Club. I am compelled to share it. We will not soon (if ever) have another representative of Clemson in his class. Enjoy!

"With only minutes to spare, because his flight was more than a half an hour early, we rush into place, distribute our welcome signs and Clemson flags and await the arrival of OUR CJ. Not everyone making the hour-and-a-half trek out to JFK has made it in time, so those of us who have are particularly thankful and spirited.

With signs aloft, we cheer long and loud as the Adidas-clad CJ Spiller comes through the glass doors all alone. No entourage, no agent, not even his family – the rest of ‘team Spiller’ will arrive the next morning – just CJ with his head phones on. As he lowers his headphones and walks towards us, his smile is broad and warm but slightly tentative… perhaps we’re a bit too spirited for this unassuming star.

One by one, we all shake his hand and introduce ourselves. He quietly offers greetings and thanks to each and every one of us, making a point to make eye contact and repeat our names. There’s some joking around… “You don’t have any orange on,” I say, “I’m not sure how I feel about that!” “Aww, it’s in my blood now so I don’t always have to be wearin’ it” is his good humored response… We present him with some gifts: flowers for his mother – which he promises to deliver, remarking how nice it was of us to think of her; a NYC Clemson Club t-shirt – telling him it’s our hope the Giants take him so we can make him an official Club member and he laughs; and the NYC Clemson Club’s very own “rock” – which one of our members brought back from Death Valley (the desert, not the stadium) that we’ve used as a good-luck charm for our club for the past few years and we hope it helps to bring him the contract of his dreams from the team of his choice (please be the Giants!) this week. He accepts each gift with genuine gratitude, the smile (no longer tentative) never leaving his face. He poses for pictures, answers questions and laughs at lame jokes he’s probably heard a million times. He’s gracious and appreciative of the simplest gift or smallest compliment.

When you meet CJ Spiller, there’s a shyness and a sweetness that is unexpected. Despite his hero status to those of us who’ve cheered for him these last four years, CJ Spiller doesn’t have a huge persona. He carries himself with dignity but no arrogance. Obviously, he knows he’s talented; he knows he’s adored by thousands; he knows he’s about to be a multi-millionaire… he must know these things – but he certainly doesn’t act like he knows these things. He acts like a man grateful for his gifts and thankful for the opportunity to do the most with those gifts.

In this era of over-indulged superstars behaving as if morality and humility are qualities best forgotten the moment you ink your first 6-figure endorsement deal, how proud am I to be a CJ Spiller fan?

And I am a CJ SIPLLER FAN!

I am a Clemson fan – born, raised and graduated – but my affection for CJ will extend beyond Clemson. My affection for CJ will extend to whatever team is smart enough to draft him on Thursday night. My affection for CJ will have me buying Adidas gear, eating at Subway and patronizing any other business that has the wisdom to sign him as a spokesman.

CJ Spiller is special. Not just a great football player – though he is that, to be sure. But CJ’s greatness on the football field seems to pale in comparison to that of his character. His character is what shines through that big, bright smile. His character is what strikes you when he looks you in the eye.

Before he left us at JFK, I had the opportunity to have a quiet moment with CJ. I locked eyes with him and told him that I believed he beautifully embodied the lesson of Luke 12:48 (“to whom much is given, much is required”), that it is clearly a guiding principle in his life and that I find that truly inspirational. His expression changed and a tender seriousness came into his eyes. He said “that is really important to me, I believe that, and it means a lot to me.” I know it does, CJ.

I am so proud that CJ Spiller is a Tiger. I am thankful he chose my Alma Mater as his own. I am overwhelmed at our great good fortune that he is, indeed, OURS."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1***

Apr 27, 2010, 11:05 AM

Words can't describe how special of a person CJ truly is!!***

Apr 27, 2010, 11:10 AM

Re: Words can't describe how special of a person CJ truly is!!***

Apr 27, 2010, 11:52 AM

ever be of anything. When i had my other pride and joy painted with the Clemson Tiger theme. I also had CJ's Number painted on the front fender. Lots of people has told me how awesome the paint job looks. But i have had several ask me, why in the world would i put the number of a football player that i have never met in person on that beautiful paint job. My answer was, yep, i have never met CJ in person. But i have been to the games in Death Valley where he plays for the team i have loved for 47 years. That i have met CJ where it counts the most, running across the goal line helping my team win games.They have said, well then you should just put the whole teams number on then. But i said that CJ has left me with memories that i don't have long enough to live to even begin to forget. There has been alot of awesome players that played for Clemson. But none that i know or remember with the character with greatness and as humble as CJ Spiller. As long as i own my Harley, CJ's number will always ride with me. And its not at all some kind of man love. Its about an athlete that played and gave his all to a college and team i do LOVE.
I could'nt have saw myself as a Buffalo Bills fan in my entire life. But i am now,GOOOOOOOOOOO TIERSSSSSSS, GOOOOOOO BUffALO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did you know when he would arrive/flight?***

Apr 27, 2010, 11:58 AM

Coot***

Apr 27, 2010, 12:59 PM

Very nice of you and the group to take the time and

Apr 27, 2010, 12:52 PM

make the effort to be there and welcome a member of the Clemson family, just as you would a member of your own family. It had to mean a lot to him. Thanks for going and for your post.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very nice of you and the group to take the time and

Apr 27, 2010, 1:48 PM

Thanks for your comments. Please understand however, that I was not involved. I received the material in "quotes" from another Tiger. The credit for their efforts is due to the NYC Clemson Club. You can Google for their web site. Carrie Dean's creation above is posted there. I have already sent them kudos. I recommend that all who read this do the same. Go Tigers!

Great Read! CJ is truly special but I can guarantee

Apr 27, 2010, 1:19 PM

this statement-

"We will not soon (if ever) have another representative of Clemson in his class. Enjoy!"-

is not totally true as we recruit young men with the same faith based values, that CJ maintains so well, ALL THE TIME. I can personally attest to this and it makes me so very proud to be a Tiger! THANKS for the article and for the great show of gratitude on y'alls part!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CJ is one of a kind & I'm thankful he chose to be a CU tiger***

Apr 27, 2010, 1:43 PM

Correct, but then we all are!***

Apr 27, 2010, 2:05 PM

Re: Great Read! CJ is truly special but I can guarantee

Apr 27, 2010, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Great Read! CJ is truly special but I can guarantee ]

I'm not suggesting that we don't have (or will not again have)others who possess exemplary qualities. All things considered, however, the degree of positive national exposure that he's gained for Clemson may not be equalled for many years to come. Go Tigers!

Roger***

Apr 27, 2010, 2:04 PM

Re: Great Read! CJ is truly special but I can guarantee

Apr 27, 2010, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Great Read! CJ is truly special but I can guarantee ]

Again, thanks for your THANKS, but I was not personally involved. See my reply above. An email to the NYC Clemson Club would direct your appreciation to those who earned it. Have a great day!

Re: C J's NYC Arrival - LONG, but worth the time!

Apr 27, 2010, 4:57 PM

Pictures worth a thousand words...........

Re: C J's NYC Arrival - LONG, but worth the time!

Apr 28, 2010, 8:59 AM

Nice pictures... and it looks like someone remembered to turn the big Tiger flag around between the first and second pictures.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and he was caught walking over the Hudson River***

Apr 28, 2010, 4:34 PM

...and he was caught walking over the Hudson River***

Apr 28, 2010, 4:36 PM

Poor Effort to Amuse!?

Apr 29, 2010, 5:17 PM

Surely you jest, but I fail to see any humor. Please clarify.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,400
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic