Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear Mr. Terry Don Phillips:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Dear Mr. Terry Don Phillips:

Apr 12, 2010, 2:27 PM

I'm starting to wonder if maybe, just maybe the same guy that took the SAT's for Derrick Rose might not have done you the same favor.

- Clearly "National Search" means pick up the rolodex and make easy contact with either a former player (Umoh-Coleman) or paging your Wide Receiver's coach into your office to discuss job opportunities. While both of these candidates were likeable people, it will be interesting to see how it pans out. (sidebar: I am not a fan of women's basketball)

- We can't scrap up enough cash to send Ollie P's wife to the final four, but we CAN send the private jet to Durham and back twice to shuttle Kyle Parker to-and-fro baseball games and a Spring Football game? Huh? Bet if you asked two people to pitch in on that $250 plane ride for Mrs. Purnell it would have been handled immediately.

- Fired the soccer coach before letting his legal issues with oh-by-the-way his own family pan out, yet we allowed Deandre the 'wait and see what happens with the legal system' approach ? Don't get me wrong----I am a huge McDaniel fan, but why was his situation handled better than that of a tenured coach? (sidebar: I am not a fan of soccer).

- Gave Tommy a nice little extension and pay raise, and then fired him a few games into the next season? Now, I have an "Order Fee" of $20 on my new 2010 season ticket purchase??? Guess what......you could have sent Ollie P's wife to Indy via "Order Fees" from my row alone at the Valley.

- Gave Dabo a bonus for getting to the championship game that I believe almost doubles his salary....That is some bonus structure.......What? Oh the salary stays at that level as well? Wow. (sidebar: I am a huge Dabo fan.)

- Part that burns me the most is that I am pretty confident you got (or are getting) a nice little bonus for staying around for X number of years. Whew. That makes me feel worse that paying $10 for a cup of watered-down fountain Coke and a melted snickers at the home games.

AND - I imagine what we offered MSU's coach was pretty incredible seeing how he chose to continue living in Starkville, MS as opposed to come work for you....WHEW....There is the biggest kick to the groin of all. I went to Starkville in 2007 for the baseball tournament. Not asthetically pleasing.

GO TIGERS

Message was edited by: 00Grad®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly, it's "Dr." Terry Don Phillips.

Apr 12, 2010, 2:33 PM

Someone actually granted him a Ph.D.

He also has a law degree. Pretty impressive for someone

Apr 12, 2010, 2:37 PM

deemed by TigerNet as a blithering moron.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

you should reserve judgement...

Apr 12, 2010, 2:38 PM

until you see how we feel about practicing lawyers.
;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've met some morons that are atty's so let's don't go there***

Apr 12, 2010, 2:38 PM [ in reply to He also has a law degree. Pretty impressive for someone ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just saying that it is laughable for the self-proclaimed

Apr 12, 2010, 2:43 PM

experts on TigerNet to criticize a guy who has:

-a bachelor's degree
-a master's degree
-a doctorate degree
-a law degree

Plus, he's been athletic director at a Big XII school as well as an ACC school. So either TDP is a moron, and all of the people who have given him degrees and hired him for numerous positions must be morons too, or TigerNet is wrong about him.

I would love to know the educational and career accomplishments of those who spew such mean stuff about him on TigerNet. I'm guessing most don't have four degrees.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

well most people...

Apr 12, 2010, 2:48 PM

don't really question his ability to obtain degrees, which he clearly has a talent for, as much as his ability to run a successful college program which I think it's safe to say, there is some doubt about.

A BS, MS, law degree etc etc are fantastic, but they don't necessarily mean that you know what you're doing on this type of job. And this is a job where you make a wrong decision and you're thought to be an 'idiot'. They don't mean it literally(well... some do but most don't), so you arguing towards his native intelligence is really pointless.

His intelligence is very relevant, especially when discussed

Apr 12, 2010, 3:09 PM

in light of actual TigerNet posts such as:

-TDP is too stupid to see what Rick Stansbury's buyout is before starting negotiations
-TDP was contacted by Baylor's Drew on Wednesday but is so dumb that he did not return his call until Friday
-TDP is too much of an idiot to contact Butler's coach.

etc.

plenty of idiot lawyers reside

Apr 12, 2010, 2:43 PM [ in reply to He also has a law degree. Pretty impressive for someone ]

on planet earth

He does not have a Ph D. He has a J.D. juris doctorate,

Apr 12, 2010, 2:47 PM [ in reply to He also has a law degree. Pretty impressive for someone ]

a law degree is actually a doctorate but none of them are refered to as Dr.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he has a Ph.D. from Virginia Tech AND a law degree from

Apr 12, 2010, 3:10 PM

Arkansas.

Excellence in academics has been a constant on his resumé. He has an undergraduate degree from Arkansas (1970), a master’s degree from Virginia Tech (1974), a doctorate degree from Virginia Tech (1978), and a law degree from the University of Arkansas School of Law (1996). He is a member of the Arkansas Bar, American Bar Association, and Sports Lawyers Association.

Link: http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/school-bio/clem-athdir.html

Re: Sadly, it's "Dr." Terry Don Phillips.

Apr 12, 2010, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Sadly, it's "Dr." Terry Don Phillips. ]

TDV is a professional student.

It's funny how the sensibilities of the real world get

Apr 12, 2010, 2:33 PM

thrown out the window in sports.

I don't get the anger over this stupid "pay for his wife to go to the Final 4" scenario.

While I'm not making anywhere near 1.3 million a year, I have a good job, and I like to think my employer would hate to lose me to a competitor. Regardless, if I asked them if they would pay for my wife to go to my industry's annual convention in Vegas, they'd tell me to jam it.

The dude is making over a million bucks a year. Why is it ridiculous to think that he might be able to pick up the tab for this mythical $250 plane ticket?

What's funnier is that given the benefit of hindsight, you guys would have wanted to pay for his wife to tag along with him on his big job interview....hilarious.

its not just the plane ticket, just like I dont think

Apr 12, 2010, 2:36 PM

it is one thing that sent OP away. The cheapness of our AD was just displayed as it seems they expected a coaching candidate to pay his own buyout

Perhaps

Apr 12, 2010, 2:38 PM

But the plane ticket was mentioned a number of times in the original post.

To me that is a complete non-issue.

And I'll ask the question I've asked all along to folks saying OP left because TDP was cheap... would you have wanted him to pay OP 2.1 million a year for 7 years?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, OP was not worth that. I have no problem with how TDP

Apr 12, 2010, 2:39 PM

handled the OP situation (based on what we know, of course).

yes the post does suggest the plane a lot

Apr 12, 2010, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Perhaps ]

but that aside I dont even think it was a pure money thing with OP. The only thing anyone from pay sites and such have come with that is constant was his relationship with those in AD namely Katie Hill and how he was tired of the the way they dealt with things. This theme is not unique to OP and is reoccuring.

So now we supposedly expected him to pay his own buyout?

Apr 12, 2010, 2:39 PM [ in reply to its not just the plane ticket, just like I dont think ]

Where does this stuff come from?!?

obviously if the buy out was the issue that means we werent

Apr 12, 2010, 2:40 PM

paying and if we werent paying then who does that leave to pay it. 1 +1= 2

Or, as I said before, maybe the issue isn't really the

Apr 12, 2010, 2:44 PM

buyout. We may never know. But regardless, I choose to give the Clemson administration the benefit of the doubt.

are you blind we offered he turned it down

Apr 12, 2010, 2:47 PM

he claimed buy out not us, WE KNOW THIS AS FACT

Maybe just maybe if you don't have this mentality....

Apr 12, 2010, 2:36 PM [ in reply to It's funny how the sensibilities of the real world get ]

in the first place he doesn't go on this interview. Clemson has a beer budget with champagne taste in everything they do in the AD right now.

So, hypothetically, you're saying that if we had paid

for a coach seat and a night at the La Quinta, OP would have just been eating popcorn and enjoying basketball in Indianapolis?

I say if he gets the team to Indy, we get his wife to Indy. Anything else is just a vacation.

Couldn't agree more***

Not what I meant at all

Apr 12, 2010, 2:41 PM [ in reply to So, hypothetically, you're saying that if we had paid ]

I meant that it seems as though we want to play on the big stage but simply our funding and commitment in many areas doesn't match our desire/expectation to win. Both the leadership and the $'s brought in by the AD have to improve. You can't expect to do things on the cheap in the toughest conference in the land and expect to consistently win.

"on the cheap" = not paying for a coach's wife

Apr 12, 2010, 2:42 PM

to fly to a city where no Clemson related event was occurring?

I'm not even referring to this incident in particular

Apr 12, 2010, 2:45 PM

I have no idea what happened....just seems as though over the past few years we haven't made what I would call prudent financial decisions in the AD. Giving a coach an extension and then firing him less than a year later....hiring a guy you could get on the cheap to replace him because you put yourself in a bad situation in the first place....now this situation with a coach leaving over $. He didn't leave because of any other reason. He has no ties to Chicago.

OK

Apr 12, 2010, 2:47 PM

So you are in the "pay OP 2.1 million per year for 7 years" camp?

I'm in the camp that if you say you want to compete with

Duke, NC, etc on a yearly basis give him what he needs to be competitive or he's going to leave. If you say you want to be at the top it cost.

OK, fine. So pay OP 2.1 million per year for 7 years.

Apr 12, 2010, 2:49 PM

We've found our point of disagreement.

assuming OP left for pure money reasons

Apr 12, 2010, 2:50 PM

im not sure that is the case

Probably not entirely money

Apr 12, 2010, 2:56 PM

But in a conversation about what you have to spend to get/keep a coach, thats the point at hand.

Previous posters have said one of the reasons OP left was because TDP was running the show in a cheap manner. Now, if the plane ticket is what did it in (and, its not, come on) then OP is shallower than we could imagine. I believe the general concensus is OP saw a chance to do what he does best and thats turn a team around, and also a chance at a HUGE paycheck. We weren't going to match that money no matter what and OP left.

But the point is, if we are accusing TDP of being cheap and that leading to OP leaving, then ultimately we have to ask if we would've wanted him to match the offer. I vote no.

It's not about his salary....it's about the $ commitment to

Apr 12, 2010, 2:51 PM [ in reply to OK, fine. So pay OP 2.1 million per year for 7 years. ]

the entire program...asst coaches salaries...recruiting budget....facilities...etc. It's never only about the HC salary.

Beer budget? OP was 4th highest paid coach in ACC***

Apr 12, 2010, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Maybe just maybe if you don't have this mentality.... ]

And Stansbury's only been at Miss St for 20 years

Apr 12, 2010, 2:38 PM [ in reply to It's funny how the sensibilities of the real world get ]

as asst and head coach. I'm sure he really hates it there

Thought the same thing about the plane ticket.

Apr 12, 2010, 2:39 PM [ in reply to It's funny how the sensibilities of the real world get ]

That is a ridiculous sidebar if there ever was one.

Re: Dear Mr. Terry Don Phillips:

So now we are supposed to give a coach, who makes over a million a year, a plane ticket for his wife to go to the final four--sidebar--we weren't playing in the final four.

Durham is a hell of a lot closer than it is to go to Indiana. Also Parker was playing for the baseball team so he needed to be there (although we lost both games he played in this weekend).

I think it's pretty dumb to make all these assumptions, especially to infer that OP left Clemson because we didn't give his wife a free ride to go watch some bball games that we weren't playing in.

Nowhere in the post do I mention that OP left because

Apr 12, 2010, 2:46 PM

his wife didn't get a free ride. I just said that if you go by the logic that we picked up his ticket and not his wife's, it seems very frugal.

You can look at it two ways............

1) Yes he makes over $1M per year and can afford the plane ride.

-OR-

2) You pay him over $1M per year....What does another $250 hurt to do something that should come natural, like picking up the tab for his wife to accompany him?

Its the principal. Those expenditures should be afterthoughts. BUT, I never said this had anything to do with why he left. I just said I thought it was rediculous.

KP did not NEED to be at the spring game. We were playing each other....remember?

Umm, KP's scholarship comes out of the football budget

He is the returning starting QB. Being at the Spring games was quite important.

100% agree. If the players don't need to be there

Apr 12, 2010, 3:00 PM

Why even have a spring game?

You're right, the outcome of the game doesn't matter. But the purpose of Spring practice is to get reps, and improve for the fall season.

You would hope, that your starting QB would be part of that

So did you send it?***

Apr 12, 2010, 2:42 PM

Many are finally seeing the light - TDP is worthless...

Apr 12, 2010, 3:12 PM

If nothing else, I am glad that everyone is getting to see TDP in action. He is getting exposed...

Re: Dear Mr. Terry Don Phillips:

Apr 12, 2010, 3:14 PM

Uh, we pay a coach over a million dollars and he's too tight to pay for his own wife's trip to the final 4? Seems to me the cheap one here is OP, not TDP or Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic