Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do not move the South Carolilna game.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

Do not move the South Carolilna game.

Nov 25, 2009, 8:43 AM

The only possible reason to move the SC from its now traditional spot at the end of the regular season is because SC loses to us too often. The move is a silly one proposed by SC because we have owned them for a long, long, long time. The Gamecocks have sipped all that SEC koolaid and convinced themselves they lose because of the timing of the game. Never mind the reality of who has the better team, they want to do whatever they can to gain some psychological edge.

I do not want to move the game. I do not want to be the puppet on the end of the SC string. I do not want to play SC on some hot September or August Saturday. I'd rather stop playing them altogether than move the game at their request and behest.

We played SC at their house for 60+ years with every game before 1960 played in Columbia on the ##### home field. We owned that portion of the series. We have played them on Thursday and owned that portion of the series. We've played them home and home on the last regularly scheduled game of the season for almost 50 years and we own that part of the series.

I'd like to keep the meeting with Gamecocks at the end of the year. I'd like for our traditional, season ending rivalry to remain just that. I have NO desire to move to the opening weekend of the season to accomodate TV and so to trivialize the game for the people of the state and for the people who attend the game every year. I did not like moving the game to Thanksgiving weekend. I don't want to move it to some hot, humid, nevermind day in August or September.

If SC tries to insist we move the game, I'd suggest we stop playing them. Just end the series. We own it. We beat them every year. Play the game as is, or stop playing it altogether.

Look, they need us more than we need them. We own the series. We have a better football history, a better football program, and more national name and team recognition. We play a solid schedule now with games against Boston College and Miami, Florida State and VT. We have a long standing series with GT that takes us to Atlanta every other year. And we play our traditional ACC opponents all of whom are more recognizably prominent collegiate names than the University of South Carolina. Frankly speaking we gain NOTHING at all from playing SC other than a win that is easier to come by most years than any other Division 1 game on our schedule. We are the favorite away game for most teams in our league. We have an admirable national image. We get NOTHING from playing and beating South Carolina. None of us gives a hoot about the road trip to Columbia. It's not a nice venue, it's not a nice town to visit and the team that plays there is often struggling.

I say that we play on our terms at the end of the season or we don't play at all.

That's what my email to TDP said.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good job***

Nov 25, 2009, 8:51 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could care less.

Nov 25, 2009, 9:04 AM

At this point, playing Carolina feels no different than the Middle Tennessee St. or Coastal match up. We can play them first game, fifth game, or whatever. It really doesn't matter at this point because it is fairly obvious what the outcome is going to be. Frankly, I feel more strongly and have more of a grudge, rivalry, or whatever you want to call it with GT and hope to goodness this game Saturday doesn't bite us in the butt with injuries, and mess up our chances against GT.

You could, or couldn't, care less?***

Nov 25, 2009, 11:08 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do not move the South Carolilna game.

Nov 25, 2009, 9:13 AM

"If SC tries to insist we move the game, I'd suggest
we stop playing them. Just end the series."

^^ I like the way this man thinks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nov 25, 2009, 9:29 AM

Bragging rights forever for the Tigers in that case!

Wouldn't matter because we wouldn't be playing

Nov 25, 2009, 9:31 AM

each other.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you given up all hope of being competitive

Nov 25, 2009, 10:16 AM

against us?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Totally agree*****

Nov 25, 2009, 9:27 AM

Guffman

They planned their open date before our game ...

Nov 25, 2009, 9:31 AM

... and now complain that the open date comes too late. They joined the SEC and now complain about a tough schedule. Geez, they remind me of the kid on the playground who wants to change the rules of the game whenever he starts losing, or the guy on trial for murdering his parents, then begging the court for mercy because he's an orphan.

Let's just leave the dadgum game where it is and play it. Last Saturday in November. Be there and play the best you can, and we'll do the same.

And leave the complaining at home. We don't speak Whinese.

Completely agree***

Nov 25, 2009, 9:50 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%

Nov 25, 2009, 10:00 AM

jonnyboy

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Where in the article did Morris say that USC was

Nov 25, 2009, 10:01 AM

proposing the switch?

I agree with you by the way that I do not think the game should be moved. But you have a habit of placing all this stuff at the feet of USC, and USC alone. That is a fallacy my friend.

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

every crappy idea originates in Columbia...it is a fact

Nov 25, 2009, 10:02 AM

mark it down

I heard it here first.***

Nov 25, 2009, 10:12 AM

Seems like as of late there has been a push from the folks

Nov 25, 2009, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Where in the article did Morris say that USC was ]

from your #### poor university to get the game moved.

Hell your coach himself has said he would like it moved.

LOL... he agreed after the question was proposed.

Nov 25, 2009, 10:13 AM

It didn't say he was pushing for it. He pushed for it at Florida.

So since he pushed for it at Florida where he couldnt beat

Nov 25, 2009, 10:15 AM

his instate rival, you dont think he was pushing for it from Columbia?

Comeon Toogie

Different reason in Flroida... he was usually playing for a

Nov 25, 2009, 10:20 AM

title the week after the game with FSU. By the way... Bowden agreed with Spurrier once he had to play for a title game the following week.

Nevertheless... I AGREE THAT THE GAME SHOULD NOT BE MOVED.

I am merely pointing out the jump in assumption that it is a wholely USC driven proposal.

how many titles did he win?

Nov 25, 2009, 10:22 AM

Is it more or less than Urban Meyer has won in 4 years?

He won 6 SEC titles I believe?***

Nov 25, 2009, 10:24 AM

did they have an sec championship then?

Nov 25, 2009, 10:25 AM

really don't know

Yep. Usually the week following the last game of the year.***

Nov 25, 2009, 10:28 AM

Umm they added an SEC champions game

Nov 25, 2009, 10:28 AM [ in reply to did they have an sec championship then? ]

in 1992

Ummm...thanks. Surely SCAR must have played in one

Nov 25, 2009, 10:29 AM

since it is so old. How many have you played in?

Solid argument

Nov 25, 2009, 10:30 AM

I see no irrefutable argument otherwise.

glad you agree***

Nov 25, 2009, 10:31 AM

Spurrier on record favoring the move. Dabo on record

Nov 25, 2009, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Where in the article did Morris say that USC was ]

against. For what it's worth.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So that's the same as USC proposing a switch?

Nov 25, 2009, 10:14 AM

TDP on record favoring it as well.

You guys are taking a little bit of a leap here.

if tdp agrees, it must be a bad idea***

TDP not on record favoring it only that he sees some

Nov 25, 2009, 10:25 AM [ in reply to So that's the same as USC proposing a switch? ]

positives. Technically, you're right as your AD didn't comment.

Clemson athletics director Terry Don Phillips said there is merit in considering such a move. Dabo Swinney is opposed because he likes the end-of-season rivalries across the country.

Beyond that, Clemson's Phillips believes it is worth considering a move for several reasons, not the least of which is many of his team's fans have complained about playing USC the Saturday following Thanksgiving. The annual game was moved after Thanksgiving when college football's regular season expanded to 12 games in 2002.

"That's not a bad idea," Phillips said of moving the game, "because, if you think about it, you have the whole summer leading up to that game. And, should you not win that game, you have the entire season to recover from it."

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Impossible that any Clemson fans want the game moved.

Nov 25, 2009, 10:29 AM

Just ask Harley.

Re: Impossible that any Clemson fans want the game moved.

Nov 25, 2009, 10:31 AM

anyone with a brain would not want it moved. name another traditional year end rivalry talking about doing such a stupid thing.

How many times do I need to say that I agree... that game

Nov 25, 2009, 10:43 AM

should never be moved... for all the reasons mentioned here.

There are a few just scroll down but more Carolina fans

Nov 25, 2009, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Impossible that any Clemson fans want the game moved. ]

want it moved for sure. You agree with that, right?

I'd probably say that was correct

Nov 25, 2009, 11:02 AM

just as I would assume more UGA fans want to move the game from Jacksonville as opposed to Florida fans. But i'd say UGA fans in general want the game to stay in Jacksonville.

True.***

Nov 25, 2009, 11:06 AM

Probably... considering the USC fanbase is probably larger

Nov 25, 2009, 11:09 AM [ in reply to There are a few just scroll down but more Carolina fans ]

in general.

But it doesn't change my opinion that the group of fans that want the game moved are probably extremely small on both sides.

Larger % from Carolina but I'd think the overwhelming

Nov 25, 2009, 11:28 AM

majority on both sides want it to stay at the end of the year.

SCAR administration has habit of making snap decisions that

Nov 25, 2009, 10:06 AM

have long-term negative ramifications.

Look no further than the decision to abandon the ACC in favor of becoming an "independent".

Of course any advantage of being "independent" quickly evaporated and South Carolina walked through the wilderness for 20 years before landing the plum role as lower-tier SEC whipping boy.

Clemson could have done the same thing.

Thank goodness we put a little more thought into our actions.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Toogie.......

Nov 25, 2009, 10:11 AM

......It's a South Carolina proposed move. Your coach wants the game moved. Our coach doesn't. Our fans don't want the game moved. Many of your fans do want to move the game. If you read FGF as much as you read Tigernet, you'd know that.

Keep the game at the end of the season. Otherwise, quit playing it.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you... just like every other Gamecock

Nov 25, 2009, 10:18 AM

fan I know personally. You wouldn;t be making the mistake of applying the feelings of a few misguided internet posters to the entire Gamecock fanbase would you??

LOL... noooo... you are much too intelligent for something like that.

Spurrier said he would be for it after he was asked. he pushed for it while at Florida.

That said... I know beyond a shadow of doubt that the vast majority of the USC fanbase believes in the tradition of playing the game at the end of the season.

you know the vast majority of gamecock fans?

Nov 25, 2009, 10:19 AM

who is irrational?

I'd be willing to bet whatever amount of money that I'm

Nov 25, 2009, 10:25 AM

right. I certainly wouldn't take a few comments from FGF as an accurate sampling.

what would it take to convince you? maybe the State

Nov 25, 2009, 10:27 AM

could start a poll. Unless they have another paper doll of Spurrier that would take up that space

I'm not sure an online poll would convince me.

Nov 25, 2009, 10:30 AM

But I'd rather see that than another Spurrier paper doll.

I raise my beer to you. Well said.****

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious Question, No flame

Nov 25, 2009, 10:38 AM

"Look, they need us more than we need them. We own the series. We have a better football history, a better football program, and more national name and team recognition. We play a solid schedule now with games against Boston College and Miami, Florida State and VT"

What do we gain out of playing Clemson? We don't even come close to winning it 50% of the time to at least lay claim to beating our rival. There is no incentive for Carolina to play Clemson yearly. Why would we need this game more than you guys?

I'm not one to quickly agree with 09... but he makes a good

Nov 25, 2009, 10:46 AM

point. If USC needed the Clemson game so much, wouldn't the poor performance against Clemson have a much more detrimental effect?

I'm not saying Clemson "needs" USC either by the way.

Obviously the rivalry runs deep... but not so much into the pocketbooks of the respective athletic departments.

Class of 09......

Nov 25, 2009, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Serious Question, No flame ]

..Clemson offers SC a chance at a season ending win, often over a ranked opponent who is going to a bowl. It's better PR for SC than for Clemson. Any SC win against us is news; any Clemson win against SC is a ho-hum, status quo moment in the world of sports. SC most often comes into the game with a near .500 or worse record, looking for a chance to do something, anything to prove they are competitive with someone. We are most often South Carolina's last hope.

For Clemson, it's a game where we can reconfirm our superiority or stumble. We almost never gain national prestige or ranking by beating you guys. Over the past 30 years, SC has entered the game only 3 times with more than 7 wins. We won two of those games.

Message was edited by: Harley®

That doesn't show the game is beneficial to Carolina

Nov 25, 2009, 11:01 AM

and therefore needs this game.

Over the last 10 years this game has put 8 losses in the Carolina loss column and 8 wins in the Clemson column. Arguing that this game has done anything but hurt Carolina as a program would seem irrational.

With that logic

Nov 25, 2009, 11:32 AM

You should remove Clemson, Florida, Tennessee, etc..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson is different from Florida and Tennessee

Nov 25, 2009, 11:33 AM

because by being in the SEC and playing Florida and Tennessee we receive a significant amount of money from tv contracts which benefit the athletic department.

Re: Clemson is different from Florida and Tennessee

Nov 25, 2009, 11:37 AM

so you are willing to admit that within the conference you guys play the role of the D-II team that gets killed on any given saturday for a large payout?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The role of a mid major, yes

Nov 25, 2009, 11:40 AM

It would be irrational to argue that we were brought into the conference to compete for SEC titles.

I can't help but agree with 09

Nov 25, 2009, 11:44 AM

He's arguing well this round.

In my opinion, Clemson needs Carolina more than Carolina needs us. If we lose Carolina, we lose a win most years. If they lose us, they gain a win by scheduling some smaller team.

This rivalry far benefits Clemson, IMO.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just look at the records of the teams

Nov 25, 2009, 11:58 AM

Statistics from 2000-2008

Record:
Clemson 70-42 .625
USC 61-48 .559

You guys won 7 out of the 9 games played from 2000-2008. Take out the Clemson Carolina game and it looks like

Record
Clemson 63-40 .612
Carolina 59-41 .59

We would be significantly better off just not playing you guys. Not that i'm arguing we shouldn't play you guys, it's a natural rivalry.

Hitting late here.

Nov 25, 2009, 12:11 PM

Don't forget that we sucked from 2000 to 2008 and fired our coach. You guys coronated two different head coaches as KINGS.

It's rivalry week. I'm going to pile on and hit late all week.

Go Tigers!!

And more often than not we lose. The sun comes up the next

Nov 25, 2009, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Class of 09...... ]

day. USC has been bowl bound more often than not lately regardless of that game.

So.... what's your point.

I would venture to say that a home game against Troy is...

Nov 25, 2009, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Class of 09...... ]

more of an advantage to them than a bye week. They get to keep their little wheels greased and play to the adulation of the sold out ghetto blaster. They will come to Clemson having worked out their kinks and we will dismantle them again. I would have more respect for them if they played a conference game(KY or VAN.) then faced us rather than playing the lame game and either scheduling a nobody or nobody at all.

I'm in favor of keeping the game where it is. A whole lot can happen btw August and November. One day it may actually mean something but I'm a serious believer that this is becoming one of the weakest rivalries in the nation. A noon kickoff at the ghetto blaster, c'mon! Do Carolina fans even come out in daylight?

You state it perfectly.***

Nov 25, 2009, 11:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ga Tech is our rival. USC is our #####.***

Nov 25, 2009, 11:39 AM

Broadcast Talent. Show Host. PxP and Color Guy. Believer. As seen/heard on @nflnetwork @espn @foxsports @cbssports @1055theroar

Nov 25, 2009, 12:08 PM

If Spurrier is for it, then we should not be.

do not move the south carolilna game.

Nov 25, 2009, 12:52 PM

nuff said

That game in Columbia in August would be brutally hot ******

Dec 2, 2009, 11:36 AM

not to mention the smell.***

Dec 2, 2009, 11:39 AM

"Very, Very Excited, Very, Very Proud" to be a TIGER!!

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic