Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear CJ Spiller (too long, sorry)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Dear CJ Spiller (too long, sorry)

Nov 19, 2009, 11:20 PM

On the Eve of your last game in Death Valley, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for everything you have meant to Clemson University.

It seems like only yesterday that I sat in my office listening to your press conference with my Father on one phone and my brother on the other. The explosion of screaming when you announced you would come to Clemson nearly shook the glass. Your commitment was the turning point in Clemson Football. With you, we just knew we would reclaim our spot atop the ACC.

Fast Forward 7 months to a crisp October night in Death Valley. It was on that night, in all your purple splendor that Thunder and Lightning was born. It was on that night that you froze two Senior DBs from Ga Tech and electrified the nation. Tiger Nation knew we had a good one before then, but on that night you showed us we might just have the Best One.

In the ensuing 3 and a half years you have never failed to please the crowd, generating highlight reel after highlight reel. If there is one resounding question in anyone's mind after watching you in action it has to be, "Why in the world does anyone kick to him?"

But as much pleasure as you have provided the Tiger Faithful with your play, it will always be your CHARACTER that stands out for this Clemson Man as the true measure of what you mean to this University.

You could have chosen to leave for the best program in college football after your freshman year, but you honored your commitment.

You could have moved closer to your daughter, but you chose to teach her a lifelong lesson that a man's word is his bond. So many kids don't get that lesson from their father's. Your daughter will forgive your absence those first few years because you are a Man of Honor, someone she will judge every man she ever meets against for the rest of her life.She will be hard pressed to find one that doesn't pale by comparison.

You could have complained about touches as you played behind James Davis, but you knew you didn't play behind him you played BESIDE him. Your genuine friendship was refreshing to watch in an era of "Me First" sports stars.

You could have left after your Junior year to be a certain first round pick, but once again you honored your commitment. You chose to come back and lead the team for the man that recruited you when he was just a WR coach. You wanted to use your God given ability to start the Dabo Swinney Era off on the right foot.

You played your entire senior year on a bum toe, a toe that anyone else would have taken weeks off to let heal. But you knew this team needed you, even at less than 100%.

And oh what a senior year it has been...Again, I could go on and on about your on field explosions, but once again, it is your CHARACTER that continues to shine as brightly as your on field performance.

When Andre Ellington busted that huge run in the 4th quarter against FSU, you were sprinting down the sideline to be the first to meet him.

When Maryland embarassed us all, the very next morning the first thing you do is text CDS and tell him you love him and don't regret returning for your senior year at all.

When you are having a pinnacle moment in your career against Florida State, knowing you are in the national discussion as a Heisman contender, your humility physically restrains you from striking the pose. It is the only time you have been stopped all year long.

Against NC State, when they are mounting a comeback and have cut the lead to 10, you pull the entire starting offense into a huddle, get on one knee, look them all in the eye and say "If we want to be champions it starts on this drive." A few plays later, the call consists of the most beautiful two words...Wheel Route. Touchdown Spiller.

The Nation has finally seen what Tiger Nation has known all along, you are a Heisman Winner. I can only hope you get an invite to New York in order to show the world what a fine young man you are, football or no football.

As all Tiger Nation sits on pins and needles in anticipation of a perfect storm in Death Valley...Senior Day, The last Home Game for You, Austin, Sapp, Butler, Chancellor, Palmer and all the other seniors on the squad, our first ever Atlantic Division Title, and our first shot at an ACC Championship in 18 years, I want to thank you for being the perfect model of a Clemson Man.

You gotta know the Valley will be full and rocking as we wait for Number 28 to get off that bus for the final time. Savor it, enjoy it, love it because that is what we have done with you for the last 4 years.

It will be the perfect storm indeed...with a brilliant display of Lightning. Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not too long at all...very nice...great job.***

Nov 19, 2009, 11:43 PM

Point this post people...get it up to 28 points

Nov 20, 2009, 8:21 AM

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dear CJ Spiller (too long, sorry)

Nov 20, 2009, 2:30 PM

Great post Bro! Looking forward to watching CJ's final run down the Hill with you and Dad tomorrow!

Drive safe Bro...

Nov 20, 2009, 5:13 PM

I just wish Taylor could be here with us. Been a long 18 years

Well said.***

Nov 20, 2009, 2:36 PM

OK...that made me cry.....***

Nov 20, 2009, 2:48 PM

"A brilliant display of lighting?"***

Nov 20, 2009, 2:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome post.***

Nov 20, 2009, 3:05 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

No apologies necesary!

Nov 20, 2009, 3:26 PM

Good job!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. I loved that post. Someone needs to send this to

Nov 20, 2009, 3:29 PM

Clemson Admin and have them distribute it to the national media.

Re: Wow. I loved that post. Someone needs to send this to

Nov 20, 2009, 11:36 PM

Who would I send it to?

Clemson Sports Information Director, Tim Bourret.***

Nov 20, 2009, 11:42 PM

Thanks***

Nov 21, 2009, 8:29 AM

Absolute poetry to my ears...Storm clouds are forming!!***

Nov 20, 2009, 3:33 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

please tell me you didnt put all that work to not send it

Nov 20, 2009, 3:38 PM

to him.

Amazing.***

Nov 20, 2009, 3:40 PM

Did you send this to him?***

Nov 20, 2009, 4:22 PM

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

No...where would I send it?***

Nov 20, 2009, 4:46 PM

Re: No...where would I send it?***

Nov 20, 2009, 5:11 PM

CSPILLE@CLEMSON.EDU

Nov 20, 2009, 6:00 PM

this is a great post, you summed it up very well.
-cj has meant so much to Clemson University and i hope he gets to read this.
i look forward to seeing him play tomorrow night in Death Valley,
GO TIGERS!

Nov 20, 2009, 6:50 PM

Thank you. You put together an excellent post. I surely hope you sent it to both CJ and Dabo. We have been very blessed indeed to have such a Tiger. I remember the press conference when CJ announced he was coming to Clemson...and I was in school! My students thought I had lost my mind! Again, thank you for putting it all in words. Go Tigers!

Nov 21, 2009, 12:20 AM

I sent this letter this post to CJ tonight not expecting a response at all much less one this evening...However, about an hour ago I received the following,

"Thanks man that was very touching and I want to let the whole Tiger Nation
know that I have enjoyed all the memories that has been shown to me n my
family. I will absolute miss running down the hill knowing there will be
80000 fans cheering us on."

If you aren't in your seats by 3:15 tomorrow and voiceless by 3:45 then you should really be ashamed of yourselves. Go Tigers

Thanks again CJ for making me proud to be a Clemson Tiger.

Man, that's just awesome. My kid absolutely adores CJ

Nov 21, 2009, 11:24 AM

Spiller. He wore #28 this season in his youth football league. It must have been good luck because he scored 31 touchdowns this season...hahaha. I couldn't ask for a better athlete for him to look up to.

I'll be wearing #28 in my flag football league this year and people think it's because I'm a fan of CJ Spiller, but it's actually because I'm a fan of my son. ;)

Well done Friend!

Nov 21, 2009, 12:38 AM

I think most of us on this board, and all around Tiger Nation feel exactly the same way. Some of us just don't know exactly how to verbalize it.

I for one, and I am not ashamed to say it, will tear up when those boys come up to the top of The Hill for the last time this season and for many of them, the last time ever as a player.

It will be a great day! We will ALL remember this day!

GO TIGERS FOREVER!!!

Well said!***

Nov 21, 2009, 5:52 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

brillant job.. brought tears to my eyes..

Nov 21, 2009, 8:36 AM

WE LOVE YOU CJ!

You summed it up perfectly! CJ and all

Nov 21, 2009, 11:34 AM

the Seniors will be missed. This has been a very special team and I'm so glad they are enjoying this kind of ending to the season! That's what happens when you believe!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic