Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why must many of you continue to bash
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Why must many of you continue to bash

Jun 5, 2009, 10:12 AM

president Barker........He didn't create the criteria in which the these rankings were based on. There are certain things, whether they be arbitrary or not, that are analyzed to determine the quality of a public university and if President Barker wants to play to them in order to gain national recognition for my University that is just fine by me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigertown

Re: Why

Jun 5, 2009, 10:14 AM

Why even discuss him at all ... on a sports discussion board ... with a baseball team trying to advance to the College World Series ?????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why

Jun 5, 2009, 10:15 AM

I saw where it was being discussed on this board much more than in the lounge; but I do understand what you are saying.

GO TIGERS THIS WEEKEND!

Tigertown

Because Cullen Harper is Finally Gone***

Jun 5, 2009, 10:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You didn't hear?

Jun 5, 2009, 10:19 AM

he got granted a 6th year of eligibility and is the starter going into fall practice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Haters rejoice!***

Jun 5, 2009, 10:45 AM

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

I guess he got what he deserved***

Jun 5, 2009, 10:53 AM [ in reply to You didn't hear? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you get what you pay for.***

Jun 5, 2009, 11:05 AM

Clemson football isn't fancy. Clemson football is having a good kicking game, winning with the kicking game, hit you on defense, don't turn the ball over and be able to control the ball.
-Danny Ford

what do USuC cheerleaders have to do with this?***

Jun 5, 2009, 1:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It depends on your point of view. If you agree with Barker

Jun 5, 2009, 10:17 AM

that the ends justify the means, then it is not a big deal.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My daughter just graduated from CU and my son is enrolling

Jun 5, 2009, 10:31 AM

this fall, so I think I am free from being labeled as having sour grapes. Having said that, Clemson is not the university many of us knew thirty years ago, even fifteen. It used to be , that the all around student was accepted at CU; good grades, played sports, in student government,etc. Now, it is the elite students that are accepted. When you have over 16,000 applications and only about 2,000 students are accepted in state, you have strayed from the purpose of a land grant institution. Two years ago, I attended the bassmasters weigh in in Greenville and I saw maybe two young men with Clemson hats on and about twenty plus young men wearing USC hats. Maybe it was just coincidence, but it gave me the impression that the majority of young people have more in common with USC than Clemson.

I have had several friends complain that their child, with a B+ avrage and 1200 plus SAT were rejected by CU. My thought is that if we keep educating out of state students over in state students, who will be around in twenty years to hire the new grads? Who will be around to continue to support Clemson?

All valid points, but...

Jun 5, 2009, 10:37 AM

the majority of students are still in state. Plus, do out of state alumni not hire Clemson grads and support Clemson? I think a lot of out of state students attending Clemson stick around the region after graduating. Plus a lot of out of state students come to Clemson from NC, GA, TN, etc where even if they go back home after graduating are still in a close proximity to the school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: In defense of the transplants

Jun 5, 2009, 10:45 AM

I came to Clemson from out of state many years ago. I've lived in SC for well over a decade after graduating. They gave me an opportunity with a pretty big scholarship, and the state has turned quite a tidy profit in all the state income taxes I have paid since, not to mention sales tax, property tax, etc. I've paid back many more times than they gave me before even considering donations to the university.

I think state schools like Clemson do attract people to the state who stay here, unlike places like Duke or Georgia Tech where the student body is from more diverse places and scatters further after graduation. And it is pretty likely that my kids will be Clemson students in the near futrue as well, so we've created som in-staters too.

Jun 5, 2009, 11:24 AM

Here is what I don't like. A guy a work with is a 3rd generation Clemson Grad but now lives in NC. His son just graduated from high school and has been accepted to UNC, NC State, Ga Tech, and Va Tech but is on a waiting list at Clemson with a 3.7 GPA and 1250 SAT.

First, it appears that being a legacy doesn't mean what it used to. Second, his credentials are pretty #### good, and Third he got into UNC and GT. Maybe he ends up being admitted but if he doesn't it is absolute ########.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: life is full of disappointments

Jun 5, 2009, 11:39 AM

Too bad for that person, for sure. But the choice was made to keep the school under 20,000. Applications are up, and so is selectivity. Had they grown the school to 25,000 while maintaining previous admission requirements your friend's child would likely be admitted.

Of course, then some people would complain that Clemson has become too big, grown too impersonal, and just wasn't the Clemson they experienced 20-30 years ago.

Jun 5, 2009, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: In defense of the transplants ]

One other tricky thing about selectivity and rankings is that schools are often forced to waitlist or reject students that they would otherwise accept simply because the school doesn't think that student is likely to choose the school over other universities. That is to say, the university wants to maximize the number of applicants and minimize the number of acceptances. If they accept only students that they are certain will end up attending Clemson, then they have as small of an acceptance pool as possible. I'm not sure that this would make sense in the case you described, since a legacy is certainly more likely to attend Clemson than any other applicant.

The other possible issue is the major that the student is trying to get accepted into. More desired majors likely require higher SAT and GPA scores.

Jun 5, 2009, 2:34 PM

The major argument would make sense to me if he wasn't wanting to major in engineering and had been accepted into GT's program.

They all go back to NJ and spread their skankiness there***

Jun 5, 2009, 11:06 AM [ in reply to All valid points, but... ]

If Clemson was the same university it was 30 or even 15 yrs

Jun 5, 2009, 10:53 AM [ in reply to My daughter just graduated from CU and my son is enrolling ]

ago then it would all but be a mirror image of the bumkin logic of SC. I am not sure what people in SC are trying to hold on to from the past, but it sure isn't intellect.

The school is one of the few bright spots within the state and I just don't understand why folks fear success.

I am sure Clemson still has a majority of SC students to out of state students in the undergraduate ranks. There is no reason why the school should lower standards to accept less than average students or even average students. If a student from SC doesn't have good enough grades to be accept then maybe one should start pointing fingers at the elementary, middle and high schools of SC as the problem, not Clemson.

I hate to break it to you but....

Jun 5, 2009, 10:55 AM [ in reply to My daughter just graduated from CU and my son is enrolling ]

The percentage of out-of-state students has stayed roughly (within a few percentage points) the same for a few decades now. This myth was addressed in a relatively recent report (from 2006) Link here.

The fact remains that more and more students are applying to Clemson and, in order to maintain a certain size Clemson is having to reject increasing numbers. I have yet to see a good reason why Clemson should accept in-state students based on grades that are far below what their peers have, other than some argument about land-grant institutions.

Clemson University gets considerably more money (in the form of tuition/expenses) for each out of state student, approaching 2:1. So wouldn't it make more sense for Clemson to start accepting less qualified out-of-state applicants to turn a bigger profit?

Clemson has not done that, and has kept the ratio of in-state to out-of-state students roughly the same for decades now; yet some people will continue to theorize that in-state students are being sacrificed.

What is happening here reminds me of what happened at UGA in the last 15-20 years. For my parents generation UGA was the safety school of all safety schools - with almost no requirements for admission. Will things change (in the this case for the better), and UGA is now a highly respected institution with some extremely high standards for acceptance. I don't hear anyone in GA complaining about UGA's tougher standards. What I hear is parent's telling their children that they'd better do good on the SAT's and in their classes if they want to have a shot to get in to UGA.

What is wrong in SC that parents just expect their kids to be able to get into Clemson because it was a land-grand institution?

Oh, one more thing.

Jun 5, 2009, 10:59 AM

I'm a Clemson graduate (Class of '07) and a current grad student (Class of '10 - hopefully), so I've been at Clemson for the majority of time that this top-20 pursuit was in full gear.

I worked in the real world for a year with a major government contractor and I can tell you that they have a great deal of respect for any Clemson graduate they hire. They expect that we will perform at a higher level than some of the other schools that they hire from, and that we are a "cut above" (those words were used by my boss on numerous occasions).

I don't know if Barker's quest for Top-20 status has anything to do with that, or if Clemson has consistently turned out good workers; but what I do know is that being as highly ranked as possible certainly doesn't hurt.

Re: Oh, one more thing.

Jun 5, 2009, 1:02 PM

I grew up in Clemson, went to Daniel High School, and for the better part of my youth, I knew Clemson as the decent academic school that would always accept an average student from my high school. The non-academic mystique of the school was kind of lost on me since I grew up in town and kind of thought of the college students as a pain more than anything else. So, I basically thought the place was an ok state school that would educate me for cheap if I chose to go there. By the time I eventually attended Clemson, the standards had started to creep up, but I still got in.

Now I'm in law school, and I attend school with people who went to some of the most elite undergraduate institutions in the world. Given my opinion of Clemson growing up, I'm constantly shocked by the number of people who are impressed when I tell them that I went to Clemson. People don't think it's the best place ever or anything, but it is respected far more than it would have been 20 or even 10 years ago.

To me it doesn't matter if those opinions are based on some stupid, spruced up rankings data. What matters is that the public relations stunt worked. It will pay dividends for our graduates and for the state of SC for years to come.

I'm sure many alumni are upset

Jun 5, 2009, 11:01 AM [ in reply to I hate to break it to you but.... ]

that their kid(s) were not accepted to Clemson. Probably the parent's dream that the child would go to the same institution. Tough @#$% in my book.

Only reason I see why someone with lack grades should get accepted is when the family donates sizeable dollars to the school.

Everyone CU grad in my family has been an out-of-stater grad

Jun 5, 2009, 11:11 AM [ in reply to My daughter just graduated from CU and my son is enrolling ]

and my little brother has another semester left. We were both athletes, captains of our soccer and swim teams, made good grades, good test scores, worked as construction laborers, and volunteered for school. Think Clemson doesn't accept "all-around" kids? Just because you make good grades and are from somewhere other than South Carolina doesn't make you an elitist, or mean Clemson is pursuing elite students solely for their academic performance.

Secondly, my family is from Asheville, only a 90 minute drive from campus. We live in closer proximity to CU than probably 75% of South Carolina residents, but are still out-of-state and always have been. I dare anyone to accuse us of not supporting the university. My dad has given back since the year he graduated, both IPTAY and the Clemson fund, as have I. I'm a penniless med student living on student loans in Chapel Hill and I still support Clemson monetarily and come to games when I can.

Don't be so confident in your assumption that out-of-state students don't support Clemson as much as in-state students, either with money or fan support, because we do.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Can you write me a ###### for a few ZPacks?***

I prefer demerol***

Jun 5, 2009, 11:31 AM

whoopadee dooo.. do you fish for bass or not?***

Jun 5, 2009, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Everyone CU grad in my family has been an out-of-stater grad ]

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

My thoughts...

Jun 5, 2009, 11:56 AM [ in reply to My daughter just graduated from CU and my son is enrolling ]

The entire world economy is changing with the modernization of China and India.

There are now 2.5 billion people that are completely focused on commodotizing right-brain (analytical) skills.

Our kids must not keep their heads in the sand and given the stark reality of what the next 20 years of global competition will mean for them.

The state of SC must be particularly sensitive to these emerging challenges. SC has received some very nice international industries. I'm thinking of BMW in particular.

I am in strong support of Barker raising the bar on admissions at Clemson. I want Clemson and the high school students of SC to accept and recognize the challenge that higher admission standards are absolutely necessary to their continued success and the advancement of the state of SC.

While I did not grow up in SC, as a Clemson alum, my heart is part of that great state.

Regards, J. Marc Edwards (BSEE '83)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re:kids will have to buckle down in high school and cut out

Jun 5, 2009, 1:44 PM [ in reply to My daughter just graduated from CU and my son is enrolling ]

crap or go elsewhere.

b/c he STILL doesn't have a PhD!!!***

Jun 5, 2009, 10:44 AM

Re: b/c he STILL doesn't have a PhD!!!***

Jun 5, 2009, 11:37 AM

Do you know ... why ... he doesn't have a PhD.??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This thread is starting to resemble a

Barker point party

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

"Honk if you heart Barker"***

Jun 5, 2009, 11:25 AM

Honk if you heart jonnyboy***

Jun 5, 2009, 11:28 AM

what a joyous cacophony!!!! The roar is deafening***

Jun 5, 2009, 11:30 AM

Those of us from Gaffney

Jun 5, 2009, 11:41 AM

Cacophony: harsh, discordant sounds

Discordant:
1.being at variance; disagreeing; incongruous: discordant opinions.
2.disagreeable to the ear; dissonant; harsh.

Glad I could clear that up for us...

:)

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I was the only one

Jun 5, 2009, 11:48 AM

who didn't know what that word meant. Then I thought it was because I was an out of stater.

long words give me trouble also - eg mayonnaise ,

Jun 5, 2009, 12:43 PM

refrigerator , etc

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic