Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The chat transcript for those who couldn't access... (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

The chat transcript for those who couldn't access... (long)

Apr 3, 2009, 2:59 PM

Clemson football with Paul Strelow

12:58 thestate.com: Welcome to today's chat.
12:58 thestate.com: Paul is on and will start on the questions momentarily.
12:58 Paul Strelow: Hey everyone, glad to be hear, and hope everyone's well.
12:59 [Comment From kemp watson]
do you think Tahj Boyd has a real chance at the starting job?
12:59 Paul Strelow: No, not this year. Guys w/ that injury don't tend to be healthy in a matter of months. And it's simply a different world from watching spring practice to suddenly reading college defenses.
12:59 [Comment From gococks]
How would Clemson Football season end and who would likely be the quaterback.
1:00 Paul Strelow: Hey, it took until Q. No. 2 to reach the Korn/Parker debate.
I can give more reasons as we go along, but I think Korn will be the QB.
Realistic expectations: Worst case -- 7-5, 4-4 ACC; Best case -- 9-3, 6-2 ACC.
1:00 [Comment From kemp watson]
I am from Bamberg, what is the prognosis for Rickey Sapp this year?
1:02 Paul Strelow: To me, it's very much a wait-and-see situation. Docs opted to fully repair Sapp's ACL in early December. Swinney says he'll be full-go by August, but those injuries tend to require a full 2 years for recovery. He might play, but I'm skeptical he'll be at the athletic level he typically displays.
1:02 [Comment From gococks]
How will Clemson defense be with the new coordinator (Steele). Will there be any changes from last year's defense.
1:04 Paul Strelow: They were pretty doggone good last year, and I think Steele inherits sufficient personnel to make them good again. Difference might be whether they close out games better, a seemingly inherent flaw in Koenning's philosophy. Biggest schematic difference will be they'll have 3 conventional LBs, a nickel corner in some situations, and you'll see the bandit end playing stand-up linebacker frequently.
1:04 [Comment From AikenPete]
Besides Jon Richt, has there been any other underclasmen to leave the team since the bowl game.
1:05 Paul Strelow: Um ... I guess reserve DT Antwon Murchison counts. He's headed to an D2 program if I'm not mistaken, probably an instate one.
1:05 [Comment From Steve]
You mention Clemson's record at 7-5, best case 9-3...which teams do you think will beat them?
1:07
1:07 Paul Strelow: I don't like that Oct. 10 Thursday night game at Georgia Tech the second game of the year. And it's hard to give Clemson the early edge over a TCU team that finished in the top 10 last year and will be a preseason top-15 squad again.
Don't think any of the ACC games aren't winnable, but this program has yet to show it won't have a couple of losses against equal or inferior foes. My best-case prediction would have them losing at home to FSU and on the road at N.C. State.
1:07 [Comment From Hammett]
How well has S. Hunter, S. Cooper and other LBS been adapting to new DC? Any suprise contributors are breakout potential from LB group this year?
1:09 Paul Strelow: To be honest, I'd expected to hear more favorable reviews about Hunter by now. But he's been hampered by an ankle injury and certainly is still learning how to drop back into pass coverage. Cooper appears to have benefitted by the SAM position becoming more conventional, but he still isn't the ball-hawk he appeared to be in recruiting. Redshirt frosh LB Jonathan Williard is the only potential surprise contributor, but it's not that he's set the world on fire; I think he's about the only other one who's flashed any potential.
1:10 [Comment From AikenPete]
Out of all of last year's freshmen redshirts, whose making the biggest impact this spring.
1:11 Paul Strelow: RB Andre Ellington, far and away. I'd argue he might be the second-most dangerous offensive player Clemson has. He's not at Spiller's level, but kid can scoot and make defenders look silly. Only others that come to mind are 2nd-string C Dalton Freeman and backup WR Jaron Brown.
1:11 [Comment From Chris]
Do you see Rendrick Taylor being a contributor in the fall or is this spring like so many in the past where they come up with special positions for him but he basically does nothing?
1:13 Paul Strelow: Fool me four times, shame on me. Which is why I'm a little more guarded in my assessment of Taylor this spring. He certainly looks like a commodity in scrimmages, but I come back to the fact Clemson already has Spiller, Ellington and JHarper at RB, so what could Taylor's role really be other than injury replacement or a secondary goal-line option at FB?
1:13 [Comment From jedburg]
Do you think Clemson will or should use the option as a part of their offense, especially with the talent they have at running back..

1:15 Paul Strelow: I can say with certainty they are using some option. It's not going to be a major piece in the offensive package, but it's in there and will be utilized.

1:15 [Comment From Hammett]
Does Parker's release appear to be quicker than Korn's. Korn's release on some practice videos seem too long for a DI QB? Both seem to bring some fire to compete that has not been seen last three years?

1:17 Paul Strelow: Parker's release is certainly substantially quicker. OC Billy Napier overhauled Korn's release, rebuilding it into a wind-up, and Korn's spirals are infinitely tighter. Their goal, then, was to speed up the release as he grew comfortable with it, and I think we're seeing signs of that happening as the spring has progressed.
As for the fire comment, well, I think Harper played hard and was well-respected in that huddle. But I wouldn't argue against Korn and Parker being more natural leaders.

1:17 [Comment From TigerFan]
How is everyone - the players, school and community - doing under the first months of Dabo's head coaching tenure?

1:19 Paul Strelow: Not sure exactly what you're asking ... but I've talked to a number of administrators, coaches and unbiased onlookers who've attended Clemson's practices/offseason workouts in recent months, and there's an overwhelming sense that Swinney is a coaching star in the making ... especially if the fan base has patience. We all know there aren't fan bases with patience.

1:20 [Comment From AikenPete]
I enjoyed your article on the offensive line the other day, our most know commodity is the defensive line, so it's rarely talked about. Can you tell me who seems to be first team and second team at DE, DT and Bandit?

1:21

1:22 Paul Strelow: Thanks for the compliment, AikenPete. You're right, on paper, DL would seem the team's top commodity. Right now 1st team line (w/ Sapp out) is DE Da'Quan Bowers, DTs Brandon Thompson and Jarvis Jenkins and bandit Kevin Alexander. Second team: DE Andre Branch, DTs Jamie Cumbie and Miguel Chavis and bandit Kourtnei Brown. The fact Brown is essentially a 3rd-team speaks to the tremendous talent there.
But again, we see where "potential" has gotten this program -- expectations exceeded the reality. We still have yet to see Bowers and Sapp maintain a dominant level.

1:22 [Comment From Hammett]
Does the O Line appear to be benefitting from two coaches thus far? Lot of depth that played some last year, should be a plus this year.

1:25 Paul Strelow: Methinks we'll have to wait until the season to see if having two coaches has created any benefit; those involved say it has, but it's not like they're going to say differently.
I believe where this group really benefits is having this spring to play together as a unit. Folks forget injuries kept the line from playing together last spring as well -- that, and O-line coach Brad Scott's preference for cross-training guys at different positions. There's a benefit to that when injuries occur, but it keeps the line from gaining any sense of continuity.

1:25 [Comment From Joey]
I am interested in your perspective on Coach Swinney's inexpereince. Do you attribute any of the losses identified above to coaching inexeprience (primarily on offense) and getting Dabo "up the learning curve"?

1:28 Paul Strelow: Nah, not really. I believe his inexperience is offset by the vast experience he brought onto the staff. A number of industry outsiders I've spoken to say the most underrated aspect of Clemson's program is the staff Swinney assembled. Steele, DBs coach Charlie Harbison, D-line coach Dan Brooks, director of football ops Dan Brooks -- all are old-school types known for player development and quietly going about their biz. I think Dabo got the inexperience deal out of the way last year.
If there would be an inexperience "concern," I think it would have more to do with 29-year-old Napier at OC.

1:28 [Comment From Scott]
Minus the Esso, what's your favorite bar in Clemson to throw down a few cold ones? If you have not tried the Sloan Street Tap Room and visited with Jimmy Howard, you definitely need to put that on the list.

1:29 Paul Strelow: Scott, I've heard good things about the Tap. But I've got three kids ages 5 and under. When work at Clemson is done, I head home to do dishes, laundry and the like!

1:29 [Comment From Big Bigguns]
What about the kicking game.....Who will be doing what ????

1:30 Paul Strelow: P -- Dawson Zimmerman. FGs, PATs -- Spencer Benton. KOs -- Zimmerman. And I don't feel there's a legit competition at any of those spots.

1:30 [Comment From Tiger_Duke]
Who do you think will end up being the "other" wr's

1:30

1:31 Paul Strelow: Beyond Ford ... I think Spiller will be this team's No. 2. Next would be Marquan Jones -- think he's got all-ACC potential in 2-3 years. But he still has too many drops for coaches' liking. I see the intrigue in Jaron Brown, but he's at least a year away from being polished enough to be reliable.

1:31 [Comment From Guest]
What kind of limited role has CJ been in during the Spring ? contact no contact - can that ultimately hurt him down the road -

1:32 Paul Strelow: I haven't witnessed C.J. do more than go through individual position drills, then take the lead cheerleader role in every contact situation. No use risking the franchise, I reckon.

1:32 [Comment From Chris]
Do you think Boyd will be the QB of the future?

1:33 thestate.com: Thank you all for the questions so far. Keep those questions coming. Paul will be on until 2 p.m.

1:35 Paul Strelow: I'd feel a lot more qualified to make an assessment after at least watching Boyd go through a scrimmage situation. I mean, if Korn does well this fall, it could be three years before we see Boyd. All I think I know about Boyd is what I've seen with my own eyes and heard from those who's unbiasly watched him: He's about 5-11 to 6-foot, is a pure pocket passer who doesn't look to scramble, and he exudes leadership. We'll see if he can read a defense, make passes against college-speed defenders, that sort of thing.

1:35 [Comment From Bert Hubbard]
Paul, do you think we will see some fairly significant changes in Clsmson's version of the spread offense to make it more effective against strong defenses? Are we going to have to live with 6 or more "bubble screens" a game that the defense seems to know is coming?!

1:36 Paul Strelow: The screens are still there, to be sure. You just have to hope they'll be used more judiciously and aren't telegraphed nearly as much. Clemson never really ran a true spread, nor will they. What we've seen so far is a lot of 3-WR sets, and an increased willingness to use the H-back as a lead-blocker, especially after what Diehl did against USC.

1:37 [Comment From LeRoy]
Which position grouping appears to be the weakest:

1:37 Paul Strelow: WR beyond a doubt. I'd also worry about the second safety position and depth at safety in general.

1:38 [Comment From Travis T]
Hey Paul. Do you think that Clemson has a good option at free safety outside of Sadat? I'm not really sold on him in that position

1:38

1:40 Paul Strelow: I'd agree with ya. I don't think Rashard Hall's played poorly in the windows I've been allowed to watch. But I also don't see the film to know where he's supposed to be and if he's carrying out his assignments.
The one intriguing option is redshirt Spencer Adams, who is participating in non-contact drills now. Kid can fly. We'll see if he picks up playing the position. They need him to quickly, IMO.

1:40 [Comment From MagicMike]
What's the one biggest weakness for Clemson this coming season...?

1:41 Paul Strelow: Still go back to WR play. Won't matter if Korn, Parker or I win the job if there's nobody to help them out. That said, if you look at the rest of the ACC, hardly any quality WRs return. Miami's have potential and N.C. State is the only team returning both starters.

1:41 [Comment From tigerman]
Do u think jamie harper is better than james davis?

1:43 Paul Strelow: Not yet. I thought Davis brought a lot to the table, much of which went underappreciated last year when his numbers dropped b/c the O-line was atrocious. Harper will be a better pass-catcher and pass-blocker, I can guarantee that. But I had a great appreciation for Davis' toughness and unselfishness.

1:43 [Comment From Allison]
What is your evaluation on Korn/Parker's ability to run the ball when under pressure?

1:46 Paul Strelow: Korn used to flee the pocket at any threat of danger, but he's much more picky about that now. Korn isn't going to blow anyone away as a Dantzler-type running threat, but I consider him a really good scrambler who shows surprising elusiveness running up field. The few times I've seen Parker, he looks more mobile in football pads than on the basepaths. But I'm not sure he has a a great sense yet for when to flee, either.

1:46 [Comment From Chris]
what are clemsons chances of getting Lattimore?

1:48 Paul Strelow: Used to be a lot more tapped into the Byrnes scene than I am now, so don't take this as anything concrete. But everything I've heard has pointed to USC or an out-of-state program being the early favorite. Of course, season results can change that.

1:48 [Comment From Travis T]
What is up with our Wide Receivers? Everything I've read has not been positive.

1:49 Paul Strelow: Lots of drops is the first thing that jumps out.

1:49 [Comment From Dave]
How has Harper looked to you? I've heard good things coming out of practices about him. Are they true?

1:49

1:51 Paul Strelow: Harper has looked pretty good. What jumps out is his subtle change-of-direction abilities for a guy that size, plus he's been able to get the corner on a few runs. The more you watch, the more you think power back is a misnomer. He ain't Spiller, but he's not purely a bulldozer, either.

1:51 [Comment From LeRoy]
Will JK Jay and Goodman redshirt or not?

1:52 Paul Strelow: I'm inclined to say Goodman will for sure. Coaches insist Jay won't, so I'll defer to them for the final answer. But I can't help but question why you'd burn that year when you have two options (Landon Walker and Cory Lambert) ahead of Jay.
Jay looks the part, and he's got the mean streak folks have been wanting from their line for a while. But he also gets out of position a lot and doesn't appear, IMO, to have the quickest of feet. I'm not sure I'd say he can definitely help them next year, barring injury.

1:53 [Comment From Travis T]
Do you think any of the players coming in the summer have the opportunity to break into the two deep?

1:53 Paul Strelow: WR Bryce McNeal and S Jonathan Meeks, by depth chart default.

1:53 [Comment From fairfield tiger]
Paul, how much of a contribution do you think the fullback ( Chad Diel) will make in a Billy Napier offense?

1:54 Paul Strelow: He'll have a niche, in my opinion. Napier was his position coach and loved the kid's versatility, so it's usually beneficial to have the offensive coordinator in your corner. Don't think they'll have an H-back in there the whole time, but I can see Diehl in there for 35-45 percent of a game's offensive snaps.

1:55 [Comment From Kerry]
If I'm going to fly in for 1 home game this year, which one do you recommend?

1:56 Paul Strelow: Personally, I like the TCU contest b/c they should be a top-15 team and a game in which Death Valley should be electric, assuming the TV decision-makers pick this up for a night telecast.
If that doesn't sell you, then you probably can't go wrong with Nov. 7 vs. FSU.

1:56 [Comment From tigerman]
Can either korn/parker be better than cullen harper was last year , or will there be too much of a learning curve.

1:57 Paul Strelow: Last year didn't exactly set the bar high, for circumstances both within and beyond the QB's control.

1:57 [Comment From AikenPete]
Can you break down the secondary for us? I haven't heard much about Spencer Adams or Carlton Lewis yet this spring.

1:58 Paul Strelow: Steele might have a man-crush on DeAndre McDaniel, as McDaniel's about the only player he openly praises. As mentioned, you haven't heard much on Adams b/c he's just starting to practice again. Lewis works with both the second- and third-stringers, which is all I need to know given who's in front of him. Of course, Lewis doesn't have the experience of a Sadat Chambers.

1:59 [Comment From Allison]
Do you have any info on the trip the staff took to Texas? I hadn't heard much about it except for an article I skimmed over the other day.

1:59 Paul Strelow: I don't have any additional info other than the story I wrote when I first broached the subject a while ago.

1:59 [Comment From Steve]
With the coaching change, our recruiting fell off. How do you see our recruiting to date? Do you think it will improve?

2:00 Paul Strelow: Think it looks fine right now. Every school that has a coaching change midseason (or when one is readily apparent) takes a huge hit, and Clemson knew it would, which is why it lucked out in having a year its class had to be small anyhow.

2:00 [Comment From Mackdaddy]
How will the Offensive blocking schemes be different?

2:01 Paul Strelow: More man blocking, less zone. They're substantially different, from what players tell me, but I can't recall any particulars when put on the spot, to be honest.

2:01 [Comment From beefalo]
Just curious, we signed only 12 players this season which was one of the smaller classes in the country....How many to we get to sign next February and what will be the biggest needs position wise?

2:02 Paul Strelow: Probably 20, maybe a few more if there's more attrition. D-tackle is the biggest need, in my opinion. Losing Leon Mackey to USC really leaves the cupboard bare down the road. Other would be quality WRs.

2:02 [Comment From jones]
given the talent, could clemson potentially win the acc, or do u think they need a little time under the new systems.

2:03 Paul Strelow: I think they can win the division and reach the title game. FSU and N.C. State will be the favorites, I'd guess, but NC State's defense hasn't proven anything to me ... nor has FSU shown it should be a step above anyone else.

2:03 [Comment From jones]
Is ellington really as fast and elusive as spiller?

2:03 Paul Strelow: No, neither. But who in the college game is?

2:04 [Comment From fairfield tiger]
What's the biggest differences in Dabo run practices then Bowden's practices? And are the players responding favorably to them?

2:04

2:05 Paul Strelow: The tempo of Dabo's practices is much, much faster, and the drills involve more physicalness. Tommy worked the team for 3 hours. Dabo will work them for 2-2 1/2, although the team remains out there just as long b/c Dabo is rather long-winded.

2:05 [Comment From LeRoy]
Any chance of the offensive line being atrocious (your description) AGAIN?

2:06 Paul Strelow: Atrocious, no. But I don't think they're ready to consistently overwhelm ACC opponents, either.

2:06 [Comment From Nate-the-Great]
Any indication about the "speed" of the offense this year? Seems in the past they would hustle to the line, but still barely get snaps off.

2:07 Paul Strelow: They won't be doing that annoying stuff anymore, that's for sure. Speeding up the tempo and eliminating all those delay-of-game calls has been arguably the primary focus this spring.

2:07 [Comment From BigT]
What are your thoughts on the TCU game. It is an interesting match-up. Any chance of a night game or late afternoon start on that one?

2:08 Paul Strelow: I'd hope it would be at night, but ESPN ultimately dictates that. Gary Patterson is such a respected defensive mind that I think the Tigers are going to have their hands full. Looking forward to watching DE Jerry Hughes, who led the country in sacks last year.

2:08 [Comment From LeRoy]
Before you leave, thank you for doing this. Any possibility that it will become a regularly scheduled event?

2:08 Paul Strelow: That's up for our online folks and my bosses to decide. I've always enjoyed them, and I hope others get something of value out of them, too.

2:08 [Comment From Jess]
Paul, is it an issue that Korn has not been able to establish himself as a clear starter at this point in his career?

2:09 Paul Strelow: Nah, I don't think so. How many prep players could have lived up to the expectations set for that guy?

2:09 [Comment From BigT]
Will Ford or Spiller be held out of the spring game or will they see some action?

2:10 Paul Strelow: I'd bet they're held out ... or, at best, touch the ball 3-4 times.

2:10 [Comment From Travis T]
Who do you think will be in the two deep at Tight End this year? Darryl Barry has never impressed me.

2:11 Paul Strelow: Palmer's definitely head-and-shoulders above the rest. Redshirt frosh Dwayne Allen already appears to have supplanted Barry, judging from scrimmages/practices.

2:11 [Comment From Dave]
what do you expect out of the spring game? Will Dabo do anything different than Bowden? Will we get a good look at what the team will actually look like come fall?

2:12 Paul Strelow: Doubt it. They might throw deep some, and Dabo's such a salesman that I'd be surprised if he doesn't have some gimmick planned to generate interest. But you're not going to see anything that opponents could use to game-plan.

2:13 Paul Strelow: Well, thanks to all for stopping by. And amazingly, my 15-month-old I've been "taking care of" during this chat hasn't swallowed anything meriting an emergency room trip. Hopefully we'll do this again some time. Take care!

2:13 thestate.com:
Thank you all for being here. And thank you, Paul, for doing this.

2:13 thestate.com: And yes, we do want this to become a regular event and your turnout today helps make that decision easier. Just keep an eye on thestate.com/tigers as well as the Sports section of The State for new dates and times. It's most likely this will be a more frequent happening once the season gets closer or begins.

2:14 thestate.com: We'll shut the chat down now, and the questions and answers will remain for your viewing pleasure.

Writer: thestate.com
Clemson football with Paul Strelow

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks, good info

Apr 3, 2009, 3:14 PM

He seems to do a reasonable job considering he works at the State

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed 74. It seems he and others outside the program are

Apr 3, 2009, 3:27 PM

impressed with Dabo and staff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep people seem to be

Apr 3, 2009, 3:38 PM

hope that transfers into w's and l's

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm one of them. They need to win some games this year

Apr 3, 2009, 3:43 PM

and build some excitement around the future.

what has surprised me is the ? about wr

Apr 3, 2009, 4:00 PM

used to be we had boatloads of them. all of a sudden no experience and a bunch of drops in the spring. that seems odd

I think the group has a better upside, but they gotta get

Apr 3, 2009, 4:11 PM

there.

I'm hoping they're so focused on getting their timing & routes down that the ball is second. If they're dropping them in the fall I'll start worrying a lot more.

It doesn't help that the two best returning receivers are on the sideline. I think catching and/or dropping is contagious.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic