Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Its good to see that people are starting to realize that
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Its good to see that people are starting to realize that

Mar 9, 2009, 9:27 AM

until Trevor Booker defends the basket, either in transition or simply when a gaurd gets penetration, we will not win basketball games.

Since the Duke game, he has failed to contest shots at the rim. Shoot.........I would settle for him standing in position between the shooter and the goal with his arms extended at this point.

There was a point in the second half yesterday where Smith beat Andre Young off the dribble, got deep in the paint, and Booker simply moved out of the way. In doing so, he allowed Smith to not only put up an uncontested 3-footer (which he missed) - but allowed Smith to get his own rebound (in front of Booker) for a put-back layup.

In short - it should be unacceptable. You can play help defense without fouling out. If you are going to yell and beat your chest after every dunk you make, then you should be benched after every uncontested layup you allow.

The last time I checked, an uncontested layup is worth the same number of points as a highlight reel dunk....and lately there have been more of these layups by our opponents than there have been highligt reel dunks from Booker.

Message was edited by: 00Grad®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When Booker defends, he gets called for the foul

Mar 9, 2009, 9:36 AM

The ACC Refs have so beaten him down over the last two years that the only way he can not foul is by not playing.

Most of you.

There is a lot of truth to that!***

Mar 9, 2009, 9:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Crap. Then someone needs to be in that doesn't mind the

Mar 9, 2009, 9:40 AM [ in reply to When Booker defends, he gets called for the foul ]

risk of being called for a foul. You can at least keep your position with your hands straight up and keep your body between the ball and the basket.

You can't get away with that either in the ACC!***

Mar 9, 2009, 9:48 AM

Most of you.

typical clemson response...blame the ref for lack of defense

Mar 9, 2009, 9:48 AM [ in reply to When Booker defends, he gets called for the foul ]

if he doesn't wanna play, put sikes back there and defend the paint

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defend and Foul out or Don't Defend. Only 2 options***

Mar 9, 2009, 9:50 AM

Most of you.

If those are Clemson's only 2 options, then the ACC

Mar 9, 2009, 9:53 AM

should be investigated. So, I'm assuming Clemson is the ONLY team that only has those 2 options?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Let's be real here...

Mar 9, 2009, 9:57 AM

Every time Clemson or any other non-tobacco road teams gets aggressive under the basket, the fouls start flying.

Compare any ACC game to any Big East game and it's clear as night and day.

You also have to remember that Booker has to pick and choose his battles. If he defends one guy, they'll pass to the others because Sykes and Grant have been out of position way too much this season.

Most of you.

There is a very good reason why......

Mar 9, 2009, 10:09 AM

the number of FT attempts are more balanced for teams like UNC, Duke and Wake once they reach the NCAA Tournament. Those teams no longer have the benefit of biased ACC officiating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Let's be real here...

Mar 9, 2009, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Let's be real here... ]

Maybe OP should consider the tall white skinny freshman on the bench, I cannot say his name to go in and stand around under the basket...with his wing span maybe he would be a help with the taller teams like WF...when that guy went in for a layup late in the game yesterday and Booker just moved out of the way and let him, I knew then we deserved to lose. We make ourselves look awful bad and overrated with losses like the one yesterday...Booker is not the tallest center in the NCAA, but that does not have a whole lot to do with him moving out of the guys way and letting him score...

Re: Defend and Foul out or Don't Defend. Only 2 options***

Mar 9, 2009, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Defend and Foul out or Don't Defend. Only 2 options*** ]

yea but you can lose by those 2 pys, and look back and say if someone would have made an effort or boxed out we could have won. OP needs to do something to toughen up the D, and work on ball security.

All things considering...

Mar 9, 2009, 10:59 AM [ in reply to When Booker defends, he gets called for the foul ]

Clemson is realy lucky to have the season they did.For
myself,before the season I would had been happy making
the NIT and making a run there.But that didn't happen.
We actually had a descent season and we're all fussing
because we lost a few late games.And Yes,I said we.I'm
alittle frustrated too.But all things considering,Purnell
has done a fine job getting the Tigers into this post-
ition so we could argue these points.We need to realize
we're still a player or 2 away from being a serious con-
tender in the ACC,which could be next year.But I do
understand its alittle hard to stomach with all other
sports sucking pretty bad..................#21

Re: When Booker defends, he gets called for the foul

Mar 9, 2009, 11:17 AM [ in reply to When Booker defends, he gets called for the foul ]

that may be true but not even giving an effort makes me sick, we dont box out, we give up uncontested lay-ups and to be honest booker has done nothing to impress me in the last couples of games, when he decides to make an impact and just go up to the basket, box out, and stop playing "soft" D we will win the way we are suppose to. to me it seems that he thinks he is hot stuff, and is too fancy, he just needs to go strong to the basket, and hold down the paint on D.

Point for the last 2 paragraphs!***

Mar 9, 2009, 9:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Booker has been a better player this yr due to the fact of

Mar 9, 2009, 9:47 AM

not getting into foul trouble. Its been a big adjustment for him but he has been better for it and so has our team overall.

can he play better defense at times? yes, but last night the whole team could of played better including the coaching staff in making some kind of adjustment.

But the put back by Smith was a killer, i think we were down by 8 and if we could of gotten the rebound and scored another basket it would of made things a little more interesting.

It seems to me (and let me first say as a long time Clemson

Mar 9, 2009, 10:50 AM

fan that I don't know crap about Basketball) that when we need to get aggressive under the rim they put in Grant and the fouls to come. We give them a lane that is too close to the basket. If you force them to drive at an angle you have a better change of defending, but we let them loose straight to the basket too much which means if Grant, Booker or anyone tries to defend they will get the foul call. The defense needs to get in better position and not allow the drive as often. I agree that it isn't all on Booker. He needs some help. If he gives up his man to stop the drive they will just dish off to the guy he WAS covering and dunk it anyway. It looks like he's not trying, but he is defending his man with no help.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

I have to agree

Mar 9, 2009, 11:14 AM

I can understand, and actually applaud, some his restraint due to the amount of fouls he picked up last year for simply playing tough defense. But if you make it to the last 10 minutes of the game and only have 1 or 2 fouls, there is no reason not to contest every shot. Who cares if you pick up a couple of fouls late. If he wants to played less aggressively in the first half, I'm all for it. But down the stretch we need him to play more aggressive especially at the end of the game.

Nice post!!***

Mar 9, 2009, 11:16 AM

if hes not involved on offense,doesnt try on defense!!***

Mar 9, 2009, 11:33 AM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic