Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tuesday's Game: Alabama at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Tuesday's Game: Alabama at Clemson

Jan 5, 2009, 9:58 AM

Who: Alabama (10-3, RPI 200) at Clemson (14-0, No. 16 and rising, RPI 5)
Where: Littlejohn Coliseum, Tuesday at 9 p.m.
The Line: Clemson favored by 18
Is it on TV: Huzzah! Yes! If you get FSN, that is.

Who knew Ronald McDonald was a Tide fan?
Didn't we see enough of 'Bama Labor Day weekend? Ugh! Don't remind me! But the good news is OP and the team have a chance to redeem Clemson's name. And there's no Julio Jones to woory about.
But, didn't Bama just mash Ga. Tech? They did indeed. Virginia beat Tech, too, as did Penn State and Illinois-Chicago. Forget the Jackets ... concentrate on the Elephants.

Alabama's backcourt

OK, what shall we look for? Three guys, all guards, make the Tide flow, and two of them can be problematic. The first is 6-6 senior Alonzo Gee (15 ppg, 7 reb). He's tall enough to create matchup problems, and he can hit 3's if you play off him. But mainly, he likes to take smaller defenders inside. Over the past few games, Gee has been shooting less and rebounding more, getting 15 points and 18 boards against GTech. He hasn't built stats on weak teams, but seems to have more trouble with a tight zone that limits his chances on the offensive boards.

Gee likes to drive

Picking up the slack outside is 6-1 senior Ronald Steele (14 ppg, 4 reb, 4 ast). He's hit 50 percent of his 3's in the past 3 games and had 10 assists vs. GTech. Think of his as a taller, but slightly slower, Downey.

The third player is 6-1 sophomore Senario Hillman (14 ppg, 4 reb, 2 steals). He's not in for his 3-point shooting (about 15 percent) but he has a knack of getting open when defenses sag off on either Steele or Gee.

The inside game for Bama centers around 6-9 All-Everything freshman JaMychal Green (8 ppg, 7 boards) and Yamene Coleman (5 ppg, 6 reb). Both get most of their points on garbage and both are prone to fouling (Green has fouled out 3 times this year) so you can probably see the Bama offensive scheme already: a lot of guard motion for the open shot and hope that the big guys are in position for a rebound if they miss.

Alabama plays a lot of people, with nine players getting 15 minutes or more per game (the same as Clemson). Much of that is due to foul trouble on their big guys, and their bench is not a strength.

Tide starters wear out

They don't press much, and aren't especially good against the press. GTech was able to trim their lead 15 points in the last 5 minutes with a pressing D.

Aside from Steele, the Tide is absolutely Allenspachian from beyond the arch. A good matchup zone has been enough to beat them, as long as someone can slide off on Gee inside. The overall key is to score points with a moderate defense, get some turnovers and hit the ample free throws that Bama will give you.

Sound like something Clemson can do, right? There'd be cause to worry after our win over ECU. The Pirates scorched us from 3-point land and our shooting was not especially good. Nice to know we can bring our B game this year and still have a double-digit win.

Grant in control

And thank goodness for Jerai Grant (6 ppg, 4 reb, but 14 vs. ECU) and Tanner Smith (4 ppg, 2 reb but 8 vs. ECU). Should our starters be looking ahead to NC State, there's quality depth on the bench who'd love to see some minutes.

We'll still need a good game from KC Rivers (15 ppg, 6 reb, 24 ppg in the last 3 games) since he'll be opposite Gee most likely. This would also be a good time for Demontez Stitt (9 ppg, 4 ast, but only 4 ppg his last 2 games) to snap out of his funk. Bama plays a matchup zone, and Stitt has enough speed to take his defender inside for a dish to Trevor Booker (14 ppg, 10 reb, 2.5 blk) or Ray Sykes (9 ppg, 5 reb). It will also be interesting to see if Terrence Oglesby (14 ppg) can shake of his game against ECU.

What's the outlook? This is the last shakedown cruise for Clemson before we dive into the ACC. Bama is a decent challenge, but if we want to make any noise in conference, this is the sort of team we need to thrash...a lower tier ACC equavalent in our home should be a double-digit victim.

That said, we may be looking ahead to State and Wake, and Bama will be emboldened by their mauling of the Jackets. I'd look for Clemson to press early, trying to disrupt the Tide's tempo. We shouldn't have trouble scoring on the Tide. The trick is slowing them down. They remind me a bit of South Carolina on offense. Deny the inbound pass to their guards, because it's a lot harder to stop them once they get the ball.

Our press is a heckuva lot better than GTech's, and as the game goes along should take a toll on Bama. Hopefully we'll pull away late. If it works, we're off to the races. If not, this could be a dogfight.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tuesday's Game: Alabama at Clemson

Jan 5, 2009, 10:15 AM

Your basketball previews should be featured articles on the front page. We need to make that happen.

Also, is the game on FSN national or does it matter where I live?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be across FSN...ACC and SEC networks and Sunshine***

Jan 5, 2009, 10:16 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've caught most of the FSN games up here in Louisville

Jan 5, 2009, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Tuesday's Game: Alabama at Clemson ]

just fine...if that helps at all.

Well done Rev, as usual

Jan 5, 2009, 10:16 AM

Have a question to put out there to the roundball fans re:the USC game. Did it puzzle ya'll that we kept bodying up Downey from 30+ feet on D, giving him the opportunity to make a move for layups? I know that is our MO, but hopefully that won't kill us against the likes of Lawton and Rice in the ACC.

It's definitely going to cost us in some games.

Jan 5, 2009, 10:29 AM

If we continue to do so. I'd like to think we'd shift more to the defense we used against McClinton against Rice.

Against Lawton, it might not work, since UNC has multiple threats from outside.

Re: Tuesday's Game: Alabama at Clemson

Jan 5, 2009, 10:17 AM

Hopefully we'll pull away late. since this is a 9:00 start it very well be late

Isn't it a 9:00 pm tip-off, Rev?***

Jan 5, 2009, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dang! Right you are! Thank goodness for the edit funcation.***

Jan 5, 2009, 10:32 AM

Denying the inbound to their guards brings up a good point..

Jan 5, 2009, 10:25 AM

about the $CU game. Why do you suppose we didn't play Downey like we did McClinton a week earlier?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I think the idea was let Downey get his points....

Jan 5, 2009, 10:27 AM

...shut down the rest of the team.

But I also think we figured Stitt would do a little better job. Once he got in foul trouble, he couldn't be agreessive.

Something else was wrong with Stitt

Jan 5, 2009, 10:31 AM

he was either sick or injured but the foul trouble notwithstanding, he just wasn't himself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

His ankle was tweaked....

Jan 5, 2009, 10:32 AM

...but he was certainly off his feed.

Excellent. I look for Rivers and Potter to guard Gee.******

Jan 5, 2009, 10:28 AM

Agreed, with Stitt and Young harassing their point.

Jan 5, 2009, 10:31 AM

Of course, this leaves their third guard, who make a living hitting when the other 2 are covered.

Allenspachian... a new word is born ... LOL!***

Jan 5, 2009, 10:50 AM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic