Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Whaa, whaa.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 992

Whaa, whaa.

Nov 18, 2007, 10:28 PM

Too many of you folks are not fans, you're groupies. You want the next big thing. Well, I was a fan when we sucked. I was at the the '72 Rice game in Houston when we lost 29-10. I suffered through many a loss to USC in the 60's and 70's. I know Clemson humility. And what we have with TB is not mediocre. It is not failure. It is life. And on many occasions it is a good life. At the very least, it is a life about which I am not embarrassed. No probations. No Vicks. Bama lost to UL-Monnroe. Stop crying.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Want to put some money on how many Bammer fans

Nov 18, 2007, 10:30 PM

said "this is what you get for 2 million a year?!?!?!"

I bet it was a few thousand, can you imagine if WE had lost to La Monroe?????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that isn't a whole bunch of whining, I don't know what is

Nov 18, 2007, 10:33 PM

Clemson football IS mediocre. I don't care about 1972. I don't care about when Clemson lost to Carolina in the 60s and 70s. And I don't give a rat fart about Ala-freakin'-bama.

But I do care about THIS year...and what the program is doing AT THIS TIME.

Re: If that isn't a whole bunch of whining, I don't know wha

Nov 18, 2007, 11:09 PM

The last time I checked, 8-3 through 11 games is nowhere near mediocre no matter who you play.

What is your definition of mediocre?

AT THIS TIME

Nov 18, 2007, 11:20 PM [ in reply to If that isn't a whole bunch of whining, I don't know what is ]

The playing field is much more level than it was in the 60's and 70's. If you think 8-3 is mediocre, well then you need a new dictionary.

Yep! Grass always looks greener somewhere else!***

Nov 18, 2007, 10:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

In before the delete!!***

Nov 18, 2007, 10:49 PM

Re: Whaa, whaa.

Nov 18, 2007, 10:53 PM

Does anyone actually think "VaTech is a terrible/embarassing school" when they hear the name "Michael Vick" mentioned?

I do when I read the beamer history.

Nov 18, 2007, 10:57 PM

Read Bronkala v. Va Tech sometime. Student raped by VaTech players. Beamer protected the players. Tip of the iceberg.

Re: Whaa, whaa.

Nov 18, 2007, 11:09 PM

I am right with you on that. Our Tigers played hard all night on offense and defense. We have no reason to hang our heads at all. This loss is a hard one to have to accept but I think we should all be thankful and we all should applaud our guys for the way they played. Saturday night's game was one of the best games I have ever seen. The only thing I would change about Saturday night's game is the outcome, which is obvious. Being in the position to go to the ACC title game is something we shouldn't take for granted. Coach Bowden and the rest of the coaching staff have done a great job getting us back in contention again for the ACC championship. When we close the deal and win one of these close ones, everyone will be in trouble. Again, we have no reason to hang our heads. Great effort Saturday night TigersI am STILL and always will be proud to call myself a DIEHARD TIGER FAN!!

Re: I'm not totally satisfied,

Nov 18, 2007, 11:35 PM

but I agree with your post.

I notice that it's a lot easier for a program to make a series of "great hires" than it is to win championships.

At the end of the day, we have to be careful with our money. Money that I, as an average fan, know nothing about. Maybe some of the folks on this board know a lot about what we can afford to spend - I don't, so I think we should be cautious. Maybe some of you can afford to double or triple your level of giving to Clemson, but I can't, so I'm not going to gripe about what seems to be a pretty good deal for us, I'm not going to act personally wounded when things don't work out, and I'm not going to demand a change that I can't help foot the bill for.

USC has purchased the services of supposed "great coaches" for at least two or three generations - and yet they still don't win. The reason isn't lack of good coaching or "accepting mediocrity" or any of that garbage - it's because they've clearly mismanaged their money for most of their history, at times paying former coaches as much as they were paying their current coaches. This fact was not lost on Holtz or Spurrier, who, while accepting the fat paychecks, mentioned time and again that they are/were handicapped because their facilities are no good. Why are their facilities no good? I suspect it has something to do with all the money they've WASTED on "great coaches."

It's true that material infrastructure can only take you so far. I just think it's important that we recognize that we haven't been the most successful program in the conference or in the state because we've uniquely "refused to accept mediocrity," or because we've had the most money to work with. I think our success has been due to the fact that, except for the mishandling of Coach Ford, we've generally operated more intelligently - and more decently - than our competitors for about 100 years now.

How many coaches are there who have great success at multiple places? I'd say it's pretty rare. And then a coach that was successful at two stops is likely to fail at his third. We're getting a good deal with Coach Bowden...even if we COULD put up the cash to get ANYONE IN AMERICA to coach our football team, the odds seem, to me, to be generally against them being significantly more successful than we are right now. And if we can't hire someone "proven," why would we make a change for someone who's EVEN LESS LIKELY to be better than what we have? Especially when we'd be spending MORE MONEY on him?

We're in a bit of a no-man's land as it relates to Coach Bowden. I say give him a modest extension. I'm not totally satisfied, but I think he's earned a 10th season and hopefully the opportunity to retire with dignity sometime in the future (whether after next year or not is up to him). You can call it mediocrity - it looks like another top-25 season to me.

Replies: 10
| visibility 992
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic