Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since I'm slammed today....an early preview:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,149

Since I'm slammed today....an early preview:

Jan 12, 2007, 9:08 AM

The Game: Clemson (17-0, 3-0) at Maryland (14-3, 0-2) Sat at 2 p.m.

Will it be on TV? Yes ... if by "TV" you mean a network that can only dream of matching the viewers of a Telemundo shooking show.

That stinks! Isn't this supposed to be a big game? Everyone thought so ... until Miami embarrassed the Terps on Wednesday.

Dang! what happened? It was a really ugly game, sort of like watching the Miss Duke competition. Miami couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, but Maryland couldn't find the ball to throw it. Ultimately the Terps shooting looked like USC's bowl-winning percentage, and Miami took home a surprising win.

So Clemson should whip the Terps, right? Alas, who can say? If Maryland is as generous with missed shots and turnovers, the game could get uglier than a Phil Ford Look-alike contest for them. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Why not? Because I keep thinking back to the Va. Tech in football. The Hokies got slapped around, recommitted themselves and went on a serious run. Maryland has a lot of senior leadership, and I'm sure they don't want to go out with another NIT bid.

If they fall to us, that's their likely fate. they become a non-factor in the ACC race at 0-3. The Miami game took away their cushion. Now they have to dig deep.
Besides, I think they're tired of losing to Clemson.

How do the Tigers and Terps stack up? It's really an even matchup, much like Florida State was. The Terps have an all-everything player in tall guard DJ Strawberry (16 ppg, 5 boards, 3 assists) much like Thornton was for FSU. They have Another tall guard in Mike Jones (13 ppg, 3 boards) and a young James Mays-ish foward in James Gist (12 ppg, 7.5 boards).

Add some inside strength in Ekene Ibekwe (11 ppg, 7.5 boards 50 blocked shots) and you see a similar team to the Seminoles....and a tough road matchup for the Tigers.

Yet another 6-5 guard Greivis Vasquez was hot early on, but has seen his minutes reduced by the play of Jones.

The Terps are offensive minded, averaging 80 points per game and 43 rebounds.

Then how the heck are they 0-2 in the ACC? Because they're also streaky. You know those dry spells the Clemson offense has at times. Maryland has Saharah Desert spells. They live and die on transition, getting the blocked shot and srtreaking the other way. If a team doesn't allow that (like Miami and Boston College, who play a much more controlled game) those gimme shots go away and the Terps have to play a dubious halfcourt offense.

On defense, the Terps press, and they love to block shots, not block out. That leaves lanes for offensive boards and putbacks for quick, well-coached teams.

What do the Tigers need to do? besides the old mantra (hit free throws) Clemson must be ready for a pressing defense. Maryland isn't as fast as G. Tech, but they are quick. Odds are they'll dare the Tigers to shoot the 3 (with someone hounding KC Rivers, much like State did). Hamilton and Hammonds could do the teama world of good by hitting some early 3s and force the Terps to come out. Our big guys need to avoid foul trouble, which limited them the past couple of games. Maryland is too big inside to have Booker and Mays on the bench.

Clemson needs to take advantage of the Terps' weakness on the boards while avoid their prodigious shot blocking.

On defense, teams that slow the Terps down have a better chance of winning. it might behoove Clemson to minimize the press and play zone until the Terps prove they can hit from outside. If they can, we go to what has worked. but if the Terps start shooting like they did against Miami, they'll get even more panicky.

You don't run with the Terps. You force them into a turtle-like pace on offense. Hold them under 74, and if your offense if clicking, you win. The teams are about even in turnovers, assists and rebounds.

It's going to come down to which team hits a dry spell first, and how the Tigers hit at the line.

So, what happens? A tough game on the road makes it hard to say Clemson wins. In fact, the pundits call for the Tiger streak to end in College Park, and they may well be right. Clemson can't play too tense or leave points at the line. I'd suggest sitting back and watching what should be a whale of a game...except you're far more likely to be able to watch Telemundo than ESPNU.

Que siga, Tigres!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BULLETIN BOARD THIS POST!!!

Jan 12, 2007, 9:13 AM

hahahahaha!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not quite sure its ready for the bulletin board yet

Jan 12, 2007, 10:59 AM

but definitely hall of fame material :)

Excellent assessment Rev.

Jan 12, 2007, 9:14 AM

Maybe it's just me but I'd feel better about this game had Maryland taken care of bidness against Miami on Wedensday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

0 and 2 in the ACC might be the best thing they have

Jan 12, 2007, 9:16 AM

going for them for the game Sat. Boy this would be a BIG win for the Tigers...crossing fingers

Re: an early preview:- the best line in it

Jan 12, 2007, 9:16 AM

"If Maryland is as generous with missed shots and turnovers, the game could get uglier than a Phil Ford Look-alike contest for them. "

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't knock ESPNU. It's the best excuse in the world to

Jan 12, 2007, 9:19 AM

go to a bar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or to get DIRECT TV. . .I love it. Much better than cable.****

Jan 12, 2007, 9:22 AM

You trying to get that free DVD-R aren't you?

Jan 12, 2007, 10:12 AM

Doing a promo where you "send-a-friend" to directv and get a free dvd-r player thingy

I need one meself

The losses to ND and BC sorta make sense but Miami??????????***

Jan 12, 2007, 9:27 AM

I'm not kidding about that "ugly game" comment.

Jan 12, 2007, 9:31 AM

You may remember the "Fear Larry" game against Wake Forest when we scored like 16 points in a half....AT HOME?

It was that kind of thing for Maryland. Love to see it against your team, hate to see it beforehand.

Maryland was clanking two-footers, missing boards ... an amazing display of ineptitude that I don't think we'll see again.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fwiw, ##### have won 4 of last 5 bowls games***

Jan 12, 2007, 10:13 AM

Yup: and still one of the worst bowl records in Division 1

Jan 12, 2007, 10:20 AM

Though, in fairness, your bowl record is better than Maryland's shooting Wed. night.

I did not know they kept records that far back***

Jan 12, 2007, 10:24 AM [ in reply to fwiw, ##### have won 4 of last 5 bowls games*** ]

all but one this decade***

Jan 12, 2007, 10:58 AM

And we'll NEVER match your impressive NIT title run.

Jan 12, 2007, 11:05 AM

The fun part will be to see who gets the CWS title first. That's one we both have a legitimate shot at.

It took 13 years to go to those 5 bowl games***

Jan 12, 2007, 1:06 PM [ in reply to fwiw, ##### have won 4 of last 5 bowls games*** ]

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,149
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic