Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few thoughts while I work on Sunday's sermon...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

A few thoughts while I work on Sunday's sermon...

Oct 14, 2006, 7:52 AM

...and I will note I said 62 points. We got 63. But since I wanted the D to keep them scoreless, I'll toss it all on the bonfire.

Is there any such thing as an ugly 54-point win? If there was, you saw it Thursday night. And I hate to go Harley on y'all, but while sitting in the best seats I'll probably ever have (thanks JD!) I was witness to the ugliest blowout win I ever hope to see.

I'm not even going to comment on the special teams tackling....other than to say we get downfield faster and get knocked around more than any Clemson team I've seen. It's not blocks in the back that do us in. I saw two occasions where Temple simply chose a spot, poured players into it and plowed a trail for the returner. I'll leave it to greater minds than mine how to deal with that, but that's exactly what's happening.

Instead, I'll focus on something I do know a little about: tackling. When you're up 3 TDs with time to go in the first quarter, it's easy to lose focus. But when you've got the quarterback in your arms, or the running back in sight (and the Temple RB was really fun to watch) you have to do what my coach used to say: Wrap 'em up like they was your girlfriend.

Granted Temple's qb has had a lot of experience escaping blitzes this year, but I'll give you five tmies our defense was more interested in making a big hit than actually stopping the ballcarrier. That sort of stuff won't stop Reggie Ball. Evans is begger and more resilient at State, and Lord knows Hollaback at Maryland can take a shot or two.

This is something I recall Jamaal Fudge having trouble with early on. The crowd loves those big hits. The offense would prefer you just wrap the guy up and get them back on the field.

Offensively, I firmly believe we needed to pass more. Yes it would seem like the Tigers were using a Ditch Witch instead of a shovel on the grave, but we already know the running game works. Unless Chansi is coming back a lot sooner than expected, we're still getting our recievers comfortbale to their new roles and patterns in game action. If we're playing what amounts to a scrimmage, try everything.

Please don't take this as bellyaching, or fears of what Georgia Tech will do to us. I have no doubt we spent next to no time on Temple, and that opening series by the Owls showed it. But if you looked at the two teams out there in the fourth quarter, which do you think was playing harder?

It pains me to say it wasn't the team with the 60-point lead. And we're not going to have the luxury of a monstrous lead again this year.

We begin the Death March next weekend, and there will be no Temple oasis to pause and recharge.

It's time to get focused, get hungry and get mean, Tigers. We carve our own trail now.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me be the first to give you a point in what will

Oct 14, 2006, 7:58 AM

be a plethora of points....well said and extremely accurate.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I second!!!

Oct 14, 2006, 8:03 AM

Clemson needs to stay focused and that's one reason I hope Gameday doesn't come to Clemson. Well, that and Lee Corso is a #######!

GO TIGERS!

I'd rather get rah-rah points...much more pleasant.

Oct 14, 2006, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Let me be the first to give you a point in what will ]

But if this team is as special as I firmly believe them to be, now is the time to shake off any past problems...and letting off the gas against supposedly weaker teams was one of those problems.

UVa. 2002, NC State 2003, Wake 2004, Duke 2004, BC 2005, lots of games where these sorts of small things absolutely killed us. This team is miles better. They need to prove it to take their rightful place among great Clemson teams.

Sorry, guys, but getting better doesn't mean things get easier. It just means even greater things are expected.

You are great. Everyone will bring their best against you. You CANNOT reply with anything less.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for the Rev and a point for you

Oct 14, 2006, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Let me be the first to give you a point in what will ]

for using the word "plethora". For USC fans lurking...that means a whole bunch ;)

Point back atcha for helping our poultry pals.***

Oct 14, 2006, 9:26 AM

(Clapping)***

Oct 14, 2006, 9:26 AM

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm on your side Rev., but just one question:

Oct 14, 2006, 10:11 AM

Does your sermon tomorrow bychance cover hellfire and brimstone? GO TIGERS!

Agree - Funny thing about what you say...

Oct 14, 2006, 10:15 AM

I said the same thing (here) 5 minutes after the game, but Nancy showed up and killed the thread. Oh well, I guess it pays to be wise, eh Rev?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must have gotten out of hand somehow...

Oct 14, 2006, 10:25 AM

...'cause there's sure nothing wrong with saying we need to improve some parts of our game.

Point to you for prescience and perseverance.

The score is really meaningless. We failed on the two most

Oct 14, 2006, 11:14 AM

important things we needed to get out of that game: improve kickoff coverage and get Proctor some reps with the new receivers. Yep, we already knew we could run all over Temple. Proctor had decent passing yards and some big gains, but I wouldn't say he was "on." In fact, he's still lofting the ball up their for grabs. He seems almost too relaxed back there at times.

We should have also thrown about 20 screens because, while we're very familiar with these plays (though we don't use them as much as last year), I wouldn't say we're really great at them. Far too often the reciever and blockers are not in sync.

There's not much to say about the kick coverage. I don't know why there are so many freshman on the unit after they've clearly proved to be inept. I thought Chason faired better than Jad. He seemed to kick it to the left, which for whatever reason worked out better. Jad keeps hitting them straight on or to the right and not even close to the end zone. I think Chason kicked off twice and both were better than any of Jad's. Now, I'm not dogging Jad here, but he's off right now and so is the coverage, so I don't see why Chason or someone else can't kick off. We have a highly ranked soccer team -- can't we find someone who can kick it deep???

Bottom line: I don't want to hear anything about Proctor being unfamiliar with the other receivers for the remaining games. We didn't work on it when we had the chance. AND, there's a good chance we will all be sick, confused, and downright livid come season's end, because we'll be tormented by the suckass special teams for the duration of the offseason. And that's a looooonnnnngggg time.

Photobucket

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic