Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
for ACC conspiracy theorists
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

for ACC conspiracy theorists

Sep 14, 2006, 10:49 AM

Do you guys honestly believe the ACC has it out for us? The whining on the board about the ACC, refs, and Swofford is embarassing. Do you really think Swofford sits around in his office petting his cat and cackling like Dr. Evil trying to screw with Clemson?

So the refs made a few bad calls. That's not why we lost and we had TONS of opportunities to win the game. This "the ACC doesn't like us" stuff is delusional and looks like the posts on gamecock central.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2006, 10:50 AM

And that's not a Big Brother reference.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a lifetime ago.***

Sep 14, 2006, 10:55 AM

It was but Swofford was still trying to run the ACC*******

Sep 14, 2006, 11:02 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some things run deep and long!!!***

Sep 14, 2006, 11:46 AM [ in reply to That was a lifetime ago.*** ]

Here is the thing, if you are under 25 it probably sounds

Sep 14, 2006, 12:01 PM [ in reply to That was a lifetime ago.*** ]

a little stupid. Frankly, the problems most of us older folks have seen are a little less obvious than in the past, but here are a few snubs by the ACC

ACC Baseball tourney in Grennville: Until the recent move to Florida, the ACC Baseball touney had its top 6 attendance records while playing in Greenville. ACC schools NC State and UNC complained about a home advantage for Clemson, and it moved around to dead stadiums pretty much every year until the recent move to Florida. These same folks see no problem with the ACC Basketball tourney being held almost every year in North Carolina.

ACC Athlete of the Year: Prior to the recent exapnsion in 2004, in the 50 years of ACC Athletes of the year up to that time, Clemson was the last school to receive this honor. Even newbies Tech and FSU had a winner before Clemson.

Read the ACC website, anytime. You've got to dig to find something positive about Clemson.

The 1984 extra year of football probation (granted a long time ago).

Officiating: In football games, particularly when playing NC State and UNC over the years. Many examples, the best is 1999 at NC State where the enitre crew was suspended because TV showed the crew gave NC State 2 TD's that were not catches in a 4 point loss by the Tigers. The 1985 Maryland and UNC games. IMO however, basketball officiating is even worse. Anybody remember our best chance to beat UNC at Chapel Hill? We had something like 41 fouls called on us. Had to finish the game with 4 players on the court.

Now, do I think they sit around conspiring to do harm to Clemson, no. I do think if given an option of helping one of the Big Four, or justly siding with Clemson, we are royally screwed by the ACC every time.

AMEN***

Sep 14, 2006, 10:51 AM

I only mention how bad the refs are in our games because

Sep 14, 2006, 10:56 AM

those are the games I watch the whole game. I know the officiating is bad on other ACC games. My beef is with ACC officiating as a whole. I'd like to know if the ACC still leads all conferences in the amount of overturned reviews. After 37 games last year, half the the reviewed plays were overturned.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Theres at least 1 more overturned call than there should be***

Sep 14, 2006, 11:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then Explain All of This:

Sep 14, 2006, 10:58 AM

1. As AD at UNC, he led the charge by the ACC to add an extra year of probation to the NCAA imposed penalties on Clemson in the early 1980s.

2. After the "brawl" against South Carolina, he attempted to give our players multi-game suspensions the next year (along with a bowl ban) but thankfully Dr. Phillips stood tall and refused to let him do it. Look
at the penalties he imposed on us versus those he imposed (none whatsoever) against FSU in their pre-game brawl against Florida and Miami in their post-game brawl against LSU.

3. The favoritism he shows for UNC is Thursday night game scheduling. UNC has never hosted a Thursday night game on campus despite the ACC making a rule that each school has to host once every two years, if ESPN
requests.

4. The way he has allowed Mike Martin and the NAACP to strong-arm him into no longer having the ACC baseball tournament in SC. Correct me if I am wrong, but did the NAACP not agree to the compromise of removing the
Confederate flag from atop the State House dome to somewhere else on the grounds? If it were the state of North Carolina would he really allow the NCAA to brow-beat a member institution over an issue that they have
zero control over?

5. His refusal to publicly reprimand officials who time and again make blatant errors in games involving Clemson, including:

-He failed to fire Rick Hartzell after his comments prior to the 95 or 96 UNC basketball game in Chapel Hill where we proceeded to "commit" 41 fouls to UNC's 9 and finish the game with 4 players.

-He allowed Jimbo Howey to continue to be an ACC official despite his well-known connection to USC and the Gamecock Club after several bad calls against Clemson including most notably the pass interference call in 98 at UVA that allowed UVA to win the game. Howey later admitted he blew the call.

-He refused to fire Jim Knight, Ron Cherry, Mike Wood, and others who have shown their blatant incompetence, and favoritism on Wood's part,time and again. The examples are too numerous for me to list.

6. His refusal to even entertain helping Ray Ray (or at least his underlings' refusal) and then lying about it and bow to media pressures...

7. The BC Game...

I could go on and on.....

nice post

Sep 14, 2006, 11:02 AM

sucks we are behind the 8 ball and will be until he leaves, i can't believe that the ACC would rather have an empty stadium than put the tournament back in SC. I believe Greenville set the tournament attendance record.

Where there is history there is a lesson.***

Sep 14, 2006, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Then Explain All of This: ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

good stuff***

Sep 14, 2006, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Then Explain All of This: ]

**crickets*****

Sep 14, 2006, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Then Explain All of This: ]

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

waiting for 'stevieballgame' to respond***

Sep 14, 2006, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Then Explain All of This: ]

Screw Oil, burn Lungers

You cant argue if ppl truly believe that***

Sep 14, 2006, 11:57 AM

If these aren't facts, please dispute them******

Sep 14, 2006, 11:59 AM

Allow me to play the devil's advocate here for a minute....

Sep 14, 2006, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Then Explain All of This: ]

Is Clemson the only school that feels we get the short end off the stick? Does GT have the same gripes? Does NCSU feel that UNC gets favorable treatment? Does MD have any beefs...etc etc. I'm not saying our complaints are without merit, but I can't help but think that the "everyone hates Clemson? mentality is a bit far fetched.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not everyone...Just Swofford and the media*******

Sep 14, 2006, 11:58 AM

I didn't go to Clemson, but I've been a Tiger fan since

Sep 14, 2006, 12:06 PM

I was old enough to know better (early 70's). I have never understood what would make Clemson the "red headed step child) of the ACC. I truly had not heard much about it, except for the early 80's probation, until I sighned up in TAC eons ago. Why would Swofford have a beef against us? In regards to the media...they generally suck anyway, but I read plenty of good publicity on us, so we'll let that part slide...in the debate anyway.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still dead-on.***

Sep 14, 2006, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Then Explain All of This: ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Slight note...

Sep 14, 2006, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Then Explain All of This: ]

The UNC 41-foul game was in 1998.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Your whining is different from theirs how?***

Sep 14, 2006, 11:04 AM

Clemson is the center of our universe on Tigernet, but not

Sep 14, 2006, 11:09 AM

the center of referees and league officials. These refs make great money and arent going to jeopardize their careers for some perceived vendetta against Clemson.I think it is irrational to believe we are hated by the ACC.

I'm not really talking about your arguement, I'm

Sep 14, 2006, 11:17 AM

talking about the whining. If they are whining by pointing out bad/missed/no calls, then you are too by pointing them out. Which is worse? I don't know.

I find it humurous when people whine about others who whine. It's all the same. And do you really give a crap about what posters on here "say" they think? I know I don't. But I do like to argue.

The problem is they know they are not jeopardizing their

Sep 14, 2006, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Clemson is the center of our universe on Tigernet, but not ]

careers if they make a bad call against Clemson (or any team for that matter). We are not the only team to get bad calls. I personally believe we have had more game changing calls than any other team, but all ACC teams get bad calls. The problem is the powers that be in the ACC (Swofford, etc.) are a bunch of wimps and don't have the balls to penalize any of the refs for making bad calls. Has there been any other time, besides the '99 Clemson/NCSU game, that refs have been penalized for bad calls? This will not change as long as the same people are in charge. Clemson and the rest of the ACC deserve better leadership.

Re:Gotta disagree about one thing...

Sep 14, 2006, 11:10 AM

you said...

"So the refs made a few bad calls. That's not why we lost and we had TONS of opportunities to win the game."

That's not something one can prove/measure but common sense says... minus the bad calls, the odds of winning that game go up dramatically. Yes, could have won 'in spite' of the bad calls but it certainly made winning much more difficult. In a close game, bad calls can make a HUGE difference.

Read CLEMSON96JDH post below. Those are facts.

Sep 14, 2006, 11:27 AM

BTW it is a FEW BAD CALLS every game that gets old.

They may not be out to get us...

Sep 14, 2006, 12:27 PM

But they sure don't like us.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic