Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Bowden is a great man.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Coach Bowden is a great man.

Aug 5, 2006, 7:38 AM

When Charlie Whitehurst was interviewed on TV following our win over Colorado, he talked about how much better his career under Coach Bowden had been than he expected it would be. Charlie, headed off to the NFL, clearly likes Coach Bowden. Whitehurst seems to have a good head on his shoulders and seemed to have a good time playing for Coach Bowden.

Perhaps more telling though, is the return of Willie Simmons to the Tiger sidelines. We all know the Willie Simmons story. He was the hot shot, can't miss Florida QB who came to Clemson as a star to be. We knew he was supposed to be good and he knew he was supposed to be good. Things started great for Willie Simmons. I was there in Chapel Hill when Simmons threw for four touchdowns leading the Tigers to a tough, come from WAY behind win over the Tarheels. Things looked great for Simmons. We all know how that worked out.

Simmons is back wearing orange, patroling the sidelines and helping the team to get better, WORKING for Coach Bowden. I cannot think of a better indicator of the sort of coach and man Tommy Bowden must be for this to have fallen the way it has. I can't think of a better indicator of what sort of man Willie Simmons must be either.

Things did not work out the way Simmons wanted them, and yet he's still a Tiger. I like that A LOT.

Coach Bowden has been at Clemson for 7 years. He's won some big games and he's lost some for which we almost axed him. Bowden is NOT some glib, yarn-spinning, entertaining after dinner speaker of a coach. He's a coach so lots of us talk a lot about what he hasn't done.
He must quit losing to Wake and Duke and he MUST win ten games pretty soon. I'm a fan and that's what I gotta say about our coach. Still.....

Willie Simmons is a great example of what Coach Bowden has done right, done almost perfectly while representing us. Coach Bowden is a great coach. I'm glad he's on our sidelines.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100%***

Aug 5, 2006, 7:44 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, when I heard the announcement concerning

Aug 5, 2006, 7:45 AM

Simmons, one of the first things I thought about was how the Bowden-Bashers were all over him for "doing Willie so wrong." I guess Willie's inside view was a little clearer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Also, I reminded of a lot of coot comments

Aug 5, 2006, 7:59 AM

about how Charlie was such an underachiever with Bowden as his coach, yet there's Charlie himself saying he turned out so much better than he expected because of CTB.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My grandfather always said," No matter how thin the

Aug 5, 2006, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Yeah, when I heard the announcement concerning ]

flapjacks, there's always two sides".

Well said. Agree completely.***

Aug 5, 2006, 8:01 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought, which they seldom use."
Soren Kierkegaard

Don't forget to give Simmons credit

Aug 5, 2006, 8:25 AM

The young man could have carried a grudge but he is all class and is 100% Tiger, through and through. He is a great ambassador for this program.

Re: Don't forget to give Simmons credit

Aug 5, 2006, 9:41 AM

He did. Did you read it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Great Post. Simmons is a classy guy who'll do well.***

Aug 5, 2006, 8:48 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach Bowden is a great man.

Aug 5, 2006, 9:19 AM

very good article. i agree 100%. willie simmons is still a good football an clemson fan go tigers an go coach tommy bowden

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Already thought so b4 Simmons came back, but heck

Aug 5, 2006, 9:40 AM

I'll just say I agree 100% anyways :)

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100% correct, Harley. What an enlightening post, and one

Aug 5, 2006, 10:59 AM

that needed to be written.

Coach Bowden has been recruiting some fine young men to play football at Clemson, and that seems evident when they praise him upon leaving or return to work with him.

He is a fine man, and I, too, am proud that he is our head coach. He brings a lot of character to Clemson, which is what a coach should do. Character attracts character.

Great post. My thoughts exactly*****

Aug 5, 2006, 11:03 AM

Guffman

Harley, you may be 100% correct. But, I think we need to be

Aug 5, 2006, 12:08 PM

very careful about elevating people to "Great Man" status. Without a doubt, Coach Bowden has had a positive impact on many people's lives, and left a good impression with many more. But, personally, I don't know TB, and what I do know about him, like most of you, is limited to his public persona as well as what I've heard from friends and acquaintences who have interacted with him in one way or another. For me, at this stage, it's not nearly enough to place him on the "Great Man" pedistal.

I'm sure I'll be ripped to shreds by this, as any opinion that doesn't hitch up to the bandwagon, or can be twisted into something negative is extremely unpopular, but so be it.

I look at it like this: Coach Bowden, on the whole, seems to be a decent guy. He's a football coach - who happens to be the coach of our beloved Tigers, and a representative of the university. That's good enough for me, and I'll support 100% him until I have good reason not to - Great Man or not.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think he's a great man.

Aug 5, 2006, 1:43 PM

Coach Bowden has been on a very public stage for a very long time. His conduct has been exemplary. Given how often other public figures get to be a dissappointment to others and an embarrassment to themselves in much much shorter periods of time, I'm willing to call him a great man.

Most of us never know what it's like to live life in a fishbowl. Bowden does and he does it well.

The fact he's got ex-players coming back and saying good things about him is almost enough for me. Add in his public conduct and I get a great man.

Your standards might be higher than mine, I dunno.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I respect that; he may well be. I'm just not willing to

Aug 5, 2006, 2:34 PM

go that far.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Well, help me get calibrated.

Aug 5, 2006, 5:02 PM

Who are the great men in your world?

Harley

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic