Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An Exchange Student's Perspective on Clemson Football...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,940

An Exchange Student's Perspective on Clemson Football...

Sep 19, 2005, 5:30 PM

The following is an e-mail sent by a Clemson exchange student from Australia to her friends back home describing the Texas A&M game:

"Clemson Football: Solid Orange…It’s about pride.

So I had my first football match. OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME! I cannot put in words the experience that is American football. Picture if you will, 86 THOUSAND (PLUS) people going out for a massive picnic by their car for 8 hours before the game. They call this tailgating. All around the stadium, in parks and ovals and by the roadside, there are people eating and drinking and watching the day’s football on TV from the back of their car or suv or RV depending on how luxurious you intend tailgating to be.

Then splash orange or tiger all over EVERYTHING. I mean shirts, shorts, shoes, earrings, hats, cars, antennas, tents, cups, plates, serviettes, wheels, your DOG! Frats and sororities are out in full force by their houses. You walk down the street and it’s not abnormal to hear someone chanting the Clemson tigers cheer. The opponents Texas A&M wear moroon and stick together in small packs to defend against the marauding orange menace.

About an hour before the game is due to start at 8pm, there begins a mass trek toward the stadium. As you turn onto the roads closest to the main entries there is just a sea of orange. The surging mass erupts frequently with the sound of cheers and fists raised to cry “1234, 1234, C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-R-S FIGHT TIGERS, FIGHT TIGERS, FIGHT FIGHT, FIGHT”.

We squeeze through the crowds to reach the gates and we are in… The stadium itself is huge, no magnanimous. It fills rapidly with excited fans and the crowds just keep coming and coming. The stadium fits 86,000 but was not completely full due to construction!!! They are making it bigger!

Pre game action begins, the players are leaping about on the field, psyching up the crowd. The band plays, the cheerleaders and rally cats lead the stadium in cheers and perform death defying acrobatic moves, huge flags fly to spell Clemson. The players leave the field in reparation for their entry. On a massive screen to one end, the players are shown preparing to enter on ‘the hill’. They atmosphere is absolutely electric. Everyone is screaming and jumping and yelling. The players pause to rub ‘the rock’ (tradition for good luck). The crowd is going dead set scitz and my ears are sore from the noise. A cannon fires and the players run down the hill, the noise gets louder than ever before and suddenly overhead fly three jets… everyone goes even more sctiz. I am in awe, I am in disbelief, this is something that cannot be captured, it can only be experienced.

And so the game begins… lets just say I didn’t really know what was happening, but it was so fun because everyone just stayed scitz the whole time, like you DO NOT sit down during the game. I had everyone describe what was happening, so I could follow a little. It was hard enough to even follow the ball, because the team on offense is intentionally trying to fake out the opposition. It’s very misleading. The game took about 4 hours all up, because they have ads and breaks and fan fare the whole time!

Of particular interest for me was half time… as it was military appreciation day, the half time entertainment was based on this theme. They requested volunteers from the 10 nations involved in the signing of a treaty at the end of the second world war to fly their flag during the proceedings. Of course I could not pass up such an opportunity. So… I got to go on the field and fly with pride the Australian flag! WAHOO! It is a rare privilege to go onto the field during a game, so I was pretty stoked to say the least.

The Clemson tigers (who were the underdog) won the game by a field goal in the last seconds of the game. The crowd was absolutely SCITZ! Everyone went crazy and thousands of orange people stormed onto the field to meet the players and congratulate them. Of course I did to; after all I needed an autograph!

The night wound to a close for me around 2am, completely and utterly exhausted, although the festivities lasted long into the wee hours of morning, as everyone celebrated the stunning victory or drowned their Texas sorrows.

P.S they turn around and do this for every home game of the season! Wow."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how'd you get that***

Sep 19, 2005, 5:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for that! That is awesome to read!***

Sep 19, 2005, 5:38 PM

I spent two weeks in Australia and still know nothing about

Sep 19, 2005, 5:42 PM

about cricket. I had a dozen people try to explain it to me. Wickets, bowlers... I wonder if American football is as confusing to them as cricket is to me?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That post was the SCITZ!***

Sep 19, 2005, 5:43 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that student from Bond University in Australia?

Sep 19, 2005, 5:48 PM

I studied abroad a semester there while I was at Clemson, and the two schools have a good exchange program between them.

you might say they share a "bond" ... sorry, i had to do it***

Sep 19, 2005, 5:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The stadium is "magnanimous"?***

Sep 19, 2005, 5:50 PM

null

Latin for "that's a huge.." :)***

Sep 19, 2005, 6:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.deathvalleytailgatingsquad.com/
http://www.twitter.com/dvts

No, it means generous and giving. Nothing to do with size.***

Sep 19, 2005, 9:29 PM

null

two "fights"

Sep 19, 2005, 6:30 PM

:)

OT: Do you have a larger version of your avatar I want that.***

Sep 19, 2005, 6:52 PM

Hate to break it to you. Changing back to "two" fights...

Sep 19, 2005, 9:26 PM [ in reply to two "fights" ]

will happen about the same time the "Whoo Hoo" goes away. It's been "three" Fight's for a long time...and it sounds better too!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

silly boy---2 fights is the way it needs to be....

Sep 19, 2005, 9:29 PM

3 fights is ghey...

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

I love how the jets fly over at the same time we run down

Sep 19, 2005, 9:53 PM

the hill. How cool would that be?

Oh well, guess you can't get everything right!

Great read! Thanks for posting!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,940
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic