Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: A dream deferred and future goals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon: A dream deferred and future goals

Mar 16, 2014, 10:41 AM

I'm not sure which Clemson fans should be more upset about: getting jobbed like we were this weekend ... or actually getting as angry as we were about it.

Welcome to Greensboro, Clemson ...

After all, if you've followed Clemson basketball for any length of time, you knew ... just KNEW ... that once UNC fell we might as well walked on the court wearing blindfolds and smoking cigarettes. There was no way we were walking out alive.

Just the latest in a long line of memorable moments for us.

Still, it hurts. And there's nothing I can say that will make it hurt less, nor to ease the injustice that comes when the powers that be deny righteous reward....except to say there are better days ahead.

"What happens to a dream deferred?"

Langston Hughes asked that question nearly a century ago, and we're asking ourselves now. Now that the hot flash of anger has been quelled in that deep stagnant pool of disappointment that seems to accompany our hopes in March, where do we go from here?

First, we should rejoice.

Rejoice? Why? Because for the first time in years, the inevitable screw job in Greensboro is not the end of things. The Tigers will live to play again. For the faithful few of us who appreciate the twisted, torturous trail of Clemson basketball, this is a rare treat.

The NIT may be Wild Turkey, rather than single malt scotch, but rejoice and drink deeply.

Second, we should remember.

Every member of this team knows they could be spending this evening watching selection Sunday to learn their future, rather than reinforce their fate.

And every member of this team (including you, KJ, if you wish to make history) will be able to bring that knowledge back to Clemson this fall. The fact that we came so close without a single senior creates the rare opportunity for a single heart and mind going into next year.

Coach Brownell said it best: "We could taste the NCAA." It was a sizzling steak plopped in front of a team and fans who could truly savor the specialness of the feast ... then yanked away by a snooty maitre'd and hauled back to the kitchen. We're left with a cold potato and memories of what could have been.

Please Mr. Swofford ... can I have some more?

Remember that aroma and spend the winter dwelling not on the injustice, but on the ultimate justice of digging into that feast in the presence of our enemies next March.

Third, we should re-dedicate.

This team lost four games in the last 15 seconds of regulation. Two by the actions of incompetent officiating, and two by its own hands. Those games are the difference between where we are and where we could be. Like a 32 RPI, an ACC semifinalist, everything we deserve.

In a sense, the guys can be forgiven. After all, there's been precious little personal travel plan for this sort of success here. But with a team coming back in force, with some much-needed offensive improvement on the way, and the knowledge of what needs to be done, we must re-dedicate ourselves as a team and as fans to take every advantage that comes our way next year.

Two-point losses to next year's Auburn, missed opportunities against a Wake Forest ... these are the baggage that must be cast away. The ability to go into the final 30 seconds of a game, knowing that the refs can't take it away, this should be the goal.

For now, we've got one more round. By this evening, we'll know who is coming into Littlejohn (and I fully expect us to host) and I pray we're able to take our deferred dream, squeeze every ounce of bitterness out of it and use it as a fuel of rage.

Go out roaring, Tigers. This season isn't over yet. And if we are to be cheated, then let someone pay the price.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Odd..ESPN pic showed NO foul...this pic shows hit in arm!!

Mar 16, 2014, 10:51 AM

Geez..this should have set us up at the free throw line for possible win! Dang..the instant replay showed it all differently..and #12 simply losing ball and flying thru two Dukies and game over.

Yep..cheated again on Tobacco Road.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is a Clemson tradition-----Getting robbed on Tobacco

Mar 17, 2014, 4:20 PM

Road Again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great anology except for one part of your vision - that

Mar 16, 2014, 11:01 AM

snooty maitre'd he you mention, he didn't take the steak back to the kitchen. He arrogantly marched up to to the rich man at the table directly in front of us. You know, the rich man who hadn't earned it. All while we and everyone in the restaurant look on in disbelief.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great anology except for one part of your vision - that

Mar 16, 2014, 11:29 AM

Clearly not a foul. The ball was knocked away cleanly LONG before this incidental contact, Sure it was.

Do you expect the director of officials or any of the espn experts to be critical of a zebra? No way that is going to happen.

FSU and NCSU deserve to be in the dance much more than the poorly coached, lousy Clemson Tigers. What did they do? Forget that they toasted the Wolfies and beat the Holes at their palace.

I think that BB will have this team ready to play in the NIT. There is a great opportunity to make others to feel the wrath of our woes. Let's do it Tigers

Don' t let anyone steal you joy or something like that from

Mar 16, 2014, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Great anology except for one part of your vision - that ]

Holy Book

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should start a fund

Mar 16, 2014, 11:48 AM

and plaster that picture of Rod getting fouled on every billboard within 5 miles of ACC HQ, with a caption like "Getting Screwed Is An ACC Tradition, Too" or simply, "THIS Is ACC Basketball".

Re: We should start a fund

Mar 16, 2014, 11:59 AM

Actually wouldn't take too much to make this happen. If I felt that there were enough Tiger fans who were interested, I'd be happy to do the legwork on the purchasing and lay out the whole thing in InDesign.

It'd be interesting to set up a Kickstarter page for this. $5 from every Tiger fan on this board would get the job done.

Mar 16, 2014, 12:10 PM

Ill donate $5.00 to the cause.

Re: Re: We should start a fund

Mar 16, 2014, 12:25 PM

Me too. Start the fund and another thread to publicize it. If nothing else it would be really funny and probably get some press.

Let's do it, I'll chip in a Benjamin***

Mar 16, 2014, 12:39 PM

Count me in

Mar 16, 2014, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: We should start a fund ]

Shall we start a contest for best caption?

Put Tnet logo in billboard corner!

Mar 16, 2014, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: We should start a fund ]

I'm in!

Mar 16, 2014, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: We should start a fund ]

Question: I know the T-Net logo is not fair us and BMeist likely wouldn't endorse their logo being used for something this controversial.

What about the ACC logo? I'm thinking that's in the public domain.

Mar 17, 2014, 10:13 PM

The bad call you mean.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm IN!!!

Mar 17, 2014, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: We should start a fund ]

I'm IN!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't hit the brakes now, get it painted up and PUT UP!!!

Mar 17, 2014, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: We should start a fund ]

HB

I'm in for a Benny***

Mar 18, 2014, 6:22 AM [ in reply to Re: We should start a fund ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

THIS is ACC basketball if you don't wear blue***

Mar 16, 2014, 12:26 PM [ in reply to We should start a fund ]

I for one, am not tired of watching this team

Mar 16, 2014, 12:07 PM

compete. It should be the NCAAs, but so be it. The NIT this year is just another chance to get better with a team that will be (hopefully 100%) back next year.

This time when I say "better days", I truly believe it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey... Wild Turkey ain't bad but Pappy is the best***

Mar 16, 2014, 12:28 PM

Ahhh! A connoisseur!***

Mar 16, 2014, 1:03 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said.***

Mar 16, 2014, 12:29 PM

One of your best. Thanks, Rev.***

Mar 16, 2014, 12:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Re: Sunday sermon: A dream deferred and future goals

Mar 16, 2014, 1:04 PM

Great sermon Rev and oh so true.

Sunday sermon: Concise and Spot On...

Mar 17, 2014, 9:56 AM

Rev,

You are so like my pastor growing up, it is totally unbelievable.
You can convey more with less words than any one I have known since Calvin Leonard. He could say more in 10 minutes than most in 30.
I think that's what makes you as good as you are. you keep our attention, then leave it to us to understand it.

Keep up the fine work!

I applaud you, I agree with you.

Mar 17, 2014, 10:46 AM

Hopefully , soon, change will occur. The playing field will be fair and equal.

Hopefully! And soon ! I am not getting any younger.

In the meantime, I find it hard to invest in a sport that is judged, the outcome which can be quickly swayed by non-playing individuals and the redundancy of it sickening

It almost sounds like I am talking about figure skating!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And all Thomas Greene Clemson's chilluns say "Amen!"***

Mar 17, 2014, 3:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

So like Jimmy Dickens sang, we "take a cold tater and wait"!***

Mar 17, 2014, 4:28 PM

A classic!***

Mar 18, 2014, 7:15 AM

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic