Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some things are better left unsaid. An appeal from a Dad.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Some things are better left unsaid. An appeal from a Dad.

Dec 19, 2012, 11:25 AM

May 16, 2008 will always be a red-letter day for me. That's the day my second daughter was born. Six hours after she was born her doctor told us she had come to us with Down syndrome. In a second - everything had changed.

There's been an HUGE boost in the use of the "R" word (as we call the word ###### in our family) on this board lately. I know it's a football board and we're all on here going back and forth at each other but let's try to use some different words. My daughter is going to hear this word a lot in her life. She can't do anything to change who she is. We can start here to rid the world of the use of this word.

Now...go ahead some of you. Flame me. Call me oversensitive. Say I'm over reacting. Say "Lighten up Francis". Call me whatever. That's fine. I'm just a Daddy making a plea to help end something that his baby girl may have to deal with for a long time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed...

Dec 19, 2012, 11:28 AM

try not to use it.

I apologize for my part

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some things are better left unsaid. An appeal from a Dad.

Dec 19, 2012, 11:32 AM

I am with you brother. My son was born December 28, 2011, with Downs. I might not have been the most sensitive person prior to that date but I am now. I really changes your thinking on some issues.

Re: Well said.

Dec 19, 2012, 11:35 AM

Nm

I agree with you. Just want you to know that when I see a

Dec 19, 2012, 11:40 AM

child with Downs, I see a special needs child, one who brings joy into the lives of those who love them. Maybe we should leave off the needs part and just call them special! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with you. Just want you to know that when I see a

Dec 19, 2012, 11:43 AM

Many people already do use that one word.(Special , that is).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said!****

Dec 19, 2012, 11:52 AM

I agree with you Francis (lol), we all should avoud using

Dec 19, 2012, 11:52 AM

words, terms or phrases that can bring pain to others, find another word or way to get your point across.

Many of us use words that hurt.... Thanks for the post***

Dec 19, 2012, 12:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll do my part.

Dec 19, 2012, 12:02 PM

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Very well said. And as I am sure you know the website is out

Dec 19, 2012, 12:02 PM

there to make a stand.

http://www.r-word.org/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember you posted a while back about teaching her

Dec 19, 2012, 12:04 PM

to do the Clemson cheer. That was awesome. Yall sound like great parents to a really special girl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2012, 12:04 PM

Agreed. I've been guilty of using the word before on here, and going forward, I'll be more sensitive and conscientious about it. The worst part is that I should know better because my mother has dedicated her life to helping people with disabilities.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Couldn't agree more - A request for Crump

Dec 19, 2012, 12:13 PM

We educated Southern gentlemen should be able to express ourselves without resorting to name calling.

I often think that Tigernet would be a much more enjoyable experience if posters were held to the rules of the forums. Crump, could you please make an effort to start enforcing these rules?

http://www.tigernet.com/rules.do

Re: Couldn't agree more - A request for Crump

Dec 19, 2012, 12:15 PM

Then no one would be able to call people "Coot" or "an idiot" or "moron" for expressing their opinion....

The McCarthyism and Coot witch hunt would probably have to end. What's the fun in that? ;)

You serious? He enforces the rules to the best of his

Dec 19, 2012, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Couldn't agree more - A request for Crump ]

ability, there's a reason there is a "Report Abuse" button on a post. Crump doesn't have time to read every single post on this board, but he enforces what he sees...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Of course I'm serious

Dec 19, 2012, 12:27 PM

The vast majority of posts on this board break the rules. And I've used the "report abuse" many times with no effect.

It would probably be too much to ask for all posters to follow the rules they agreed to when signing up. Nobody would listen because there are no consequences for their behavior.

I'm not trying to get on a high horse here. I'd just like some of the civility and intelligence returned to this forum.

When you press the RA button, it doesn't magically

Dec 19, 2012, 12:31 PM

disappear right away. There is an RA log that our site admins look through and usually delete the post when they get to it. If a post garners 5 individual RAs, it is deleted immediately...maybe you're overly sensitive.

I've also never seen you participate in the Donors Board, it is much more civil in there...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Crump is very strict as far as enforcement.***

Dec 19, 2012, 8:16 PM [ in reply to You serious? He enforces the rules to the best of his ]

Well said and may God bless your family.......Merry Christma

Dec 19, 2012, 12:33 PM

and Go Clemson Tigers!

I agree. I detest that word when used as an insult.***

Dec 19, 2012, 3:00 PM

Own less, do more.

You are what you write....you are class, they are "R's"...***

Dec 19, 2012, 5:51 PM

I greatly sympathize with you and commend you for your

Dec 19, 2012, 7:02 PM

care and concern...and agree about the use of certain "names." My youngest granddaughter suffers from a mild form of autism, and I would be highly offended at any insensitive remark. My best wishes to you and your family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say "God bless you" as you raise your very special daughte

Dec 19, 2012, 7:35 PM

and thanks for reminding us to watch our words.

As the husband of a Special Needs educator, as well as just

Dec 19, 2012, 8:13 PM

being an overall good dude...I loudly second this post! Well said sir. We CAN stop the use of this word.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2012, 8:14 PM

Absolutely agree. I have a couple of friends with daughters that have Down Syndrome. My own son is borderline autistic (he is suffering from severe social issues).

My wife is a Special Ed. teacher and we don't allow that word in our house. Even in a setting such as this, there is really no place for it.

Thanks for the post!

The r word means slow.

Dec 19, 2012, 8:17 PM

Why can't I use it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I'm offended when people use the word "coot"

Dec 19, 2012, 8:19 PM

Some of my cousins have that disability.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The r word means slow.

Dec 19, 2012, 8:20 PM

wikipedia.org/wiki/Unguided_bomb

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

The government uses r-word bombs?

Dec 19, 2012, 8:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and I hope this board has similar feelings about using the

Dec 19, 2012, 8:26 PM

"g-word" calling people cigarrettes(f-word), because I'm sure those words are just as hurtful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

and I hope whoever TDd this didnt have any family who served

Dec 19, 2012, 8:51 PM

In WWII, because he shortened it by Two years by cracking the Nazi code

sometimes you forget how blessed you are to have a

Dec 19, 2012, 9:06 PM

healthy child/children

No flames - awesome post!

Dec 19, 2012, 11:27 PM

Stand up for your daughters, no matter their disability or lack thereof.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic