Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watching on ESPNU, wow, lotttt of empty seats. On a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Watching on ESPNU, wow, lotttt of empty seats. On a

Mar 31, 2012, 4:24 PM

gorgeous day like today, top 10 and conference opponent, usually a packed house.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

(usually packed when the team is doing well)***

Mar 31, 2012, 4:25 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, a game like this traditionally would be well

Mar 31, 2012, 4:33 PM

attended even if we were not playing well, but you posted the subtle point I was making.

it wasn't subtle

Mar 31, 2012, 8:13 PM

you may want to invest in a dictionary if you think so

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watching on ESPNU, wow, lotttt of empty seats. On a

Mar 31, 2012, 4:34 PM

That's the only way to be heard.

Thats how we got rid of Hatfield but our fan base has change

Mar 31, 2012, 4:50 PM

and now "real" fans come even if we suck. Our fans are morons. They care more about coaches and personalities than winning. The BOT, Admin, and fans we use to have would never put up with the losing that has been going on in Clemson the past 20 years, but sadly many things have changed over the years and not all of it has been positive.

Re: Thats how we got rid of Hatfield but our fan base has change

Mar 31, 2012, 4:58 PM

AGREE 100% if you show any kind of discontent you are blasted by
idiot fans. We should Not sit by quietly when we suck.

I don't attend Clemson games to support coaches as

Mar 31, 2012, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Thats how we got rid of Hatfield but our fan base has change ]

much as to support CLEMSON and the fine young men and women who chose to be student athletes at my alma mater, CLEMSON.

I don't appreciate being called a moron.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

So we should not attend and cheer on the young men who

Mar 31, 2012, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Thats how we got rid of Hatfield but our fan base has change ]

chose to come to Clemson and bear Clemson across their jerseys because we don't like a coach?

That makes sense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duh

Mar 31, 2012, 7:13 PM

you are just cheering yankees. Would you cheer for the Union army? ;)

Re: Duh

Apr 1, 2012, 8:14 PM

another stupid statement. We are cheering for CLEMSON athletes. No matter where they are from.

Hatfield was not a bad coach

Mar 31, 2012, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Thats how we got rid of Hatfield but our fan base has change ]

just had the misfortune of following Ford. Pell and West were our downfall.

Re: Hatfield was not a bad coach

Apr 1, 2012, 2:06 AM

I'll take issue with your comment on Pell...If you're
talking about probation...I agree. BUT coaching, he
turned OUR program around. Even with probation, we learned what winning was all about. Here's our record prior to Pell, when Red Parker was at Clemson.
Let me add...we still had Fans at those games!

Red Parker Overall Conf Standing
1973 Clemson 5–6 4–2 3rd
1974 Clemson 7–4 4–2 T–2nd
1975 Clemson 2–9 2–3 5th
1976 Clemson 3–6–2 0–4–1 7th

Then Pell, took over.
In his first year, he led the Tigers to the 1977 Gator Bowl—their first bowl invitation in eighteen years. A year later, his Tigers won their first Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) championship in eleven years, and were ranked seventh in the final AP Poll—the highest final ranking in school history at the time. Pell was named ACC Coach of the Year in 1978, and compiled an 18–4–1 record.[4] He also recruited many of the players who helped lead the Tigers to the national championship in 1981.

Here's what Jeff Bostic had to say:
Pell was a disciplinarian who drove himself, his assistants and his players. Jeff Bostic, who played for him at Clemson before a long professional career, said: ''I'm convinced he was the most organized, philosophical, psychological coach I've ever met. He was a master organizer.''

It's interesting to note, his first season at Florida,
they were 0-10-1. But, he turned them around, too. The next season, Florida..
"His first Florida team finished with a 0-10-1 record. The next year, Florida (8-4) played in a bowl game.

Apparently, I'm not the only person that thinks this way. Here's a comment from Wikipedia,
"He is most notably remembered as the head coach of the Clemson University and the University of Florida football teams. Pell was credited with laying the foundation for the later success of both programs.." In case you didn't remember, like Danny Ford, Pell was from Alabama, too. He was also on one of their National Championship teams.

Charley Pell was born in Albertville, Alabama in 1941.[1] Neither of his parents had completed any education beyond the fifth grade.[1] He did not play football until his senior year of high school.[2] After graduating from high school, he attended the University of Alabama, having been recruited to play football for the Crimson Tide by coach Bear Bryant.[1] Pell was undersized at 187 pounds, but he became an all-Southeastern Conference guard and defensive tackle.[1] Pell played for Bryant's Crimson Tide from 1961 to 1963, including Bryant's first national championship team in 1961. (Wikipedia)

I had the pleasure of meeting him waiting in line for a Clemson basketball game. He came by to greet, those of us enthusiastic enough to be out there in the early morning for an mid-afternoon game. :)

GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2012, 8:40 AM

Joe Bostic just closed his eyes and let his mind race back to 1977. It was a moving experience. "There are coaches for times and places," said Bostic. "He was the man for us. He came here and made us a team. He made us believe in ourselves. We were good players, but we just did not know it."

"Most of all, he made us men", Bostic said.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091101aac.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2012, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield was not a bad coach ]

and he later said he cheated everywhere he went.

Hatfield had a good run at Ark but he was not liked by the

Apr 1, 2012, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Hatfield was not a bad coach ]

fans and they were glad we took him off their hands despite the fact that he won the Southwest conference and went 10-2 his last 2 years there.

He took over Clemson at our highest point in terms of program strength and talent. Ford did a great job rebuilding following probation and in 87, 88, and 89 went 10-2 with big bowl wins. Then Maxxie did the unthinkable and ran Ford off. Clemson athletics across the board have been in a steady decline since then.

In 90 Hatfield went 10-2, and in 91 he went 9-2-1 and we won the ACC. Then in 92 we went 5-6, only 3-5 in the ACC finishing a pathetic 7th. He rebounded somewhat in 93, but despite an 8-3 regular season, everyone knew the damage was done. We looked terrible on the field, just like under TB and Dabo.

Recruiting fell apart under Hatfield and the program went down the toilet. It's the fastest decline I've ever seen in ANY football program. Sorry, but that was not good coaching. And it had nothing to do with following Ford. He took a dominant program and in only 3 years had a losing season and finished 7th in the ACC. Ford nor the fans had anything to do with it.

Not true. Now you have Tigernet. That way you can not show

Apr 1, 2012, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Watching on ESPNU, wow, lotttt of empty seats. On a ]

up as well as spout off on things under the cover of anonymity. It would be a funny thing to see you run your mouth off at a baseball game like you do on here. I doubt you'd last a half inning.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol anyone that knows me will tell you i say in person the

Apr 2, 2012, 3:08 PM

same as online, i never pull punches. and saying something factual in an intelligent manner is not the same as a-holes heckling. i'm an intelligent alum, not an ignorant redneck. again, like DSP, you don't know me so stick it, you're clueless about who i am and what i think.

Let me see if I got this right......

Apr 1, 2012, 7:44 AM

You are watching the game on ESPN-U yet biching about the empty seats.....good job

I live in Charleston thank you very much. But while I was a

Apr 1, 2012, 10:04 AM

student at Clemson I attend most games. If I lived closer I'd be there, so take your self righteous attitude and shove it. FWIW I doubt you even attended college, much less Clemson. You're prolly a typical Tnet loudmouth non-alum fan that's arrogant enough to think you could ever love and appreciate Clemson as much as those like me that worked our tails off to earn our Clemson diploma.

and you're a fantastic representative of a clemson man...

Apr 1, 2012, 10:20 AM

coach wilhelm, hap carr, danny, howard would all take you to the woodshed for the way you act.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To you and Talegater

Apr 2, 2012, 8:27 AM

My apologies. My reply was intended for Talegaters post above and due to my inability to work a smart phone ( yes, i know, operator error!) my reply of post of the year feel under the ramblings of the original post.

So to you DSP and Talegater my regards. If you are sitting anywhere , Charleston, Atlanta, sunny Pinehurst and not personally attending, you dont get to complain about attendance.

post of the year!

Apr 1, 2012, 8:44 AM

Well said.

Looked pretty good to me at the game

Apr 1, 2012, 11:24 AM

Officially it was 80% full.

offiially is based on ticket sales not attendance is it not?***

Apr 2, 2012, 3:10 PM

Apr 1, 2012, 5:17 PM

announced today that the weekend attendance will be right around 13,000. most programs would love to have half that for a week-end series, against any team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2012, 6:44 PM

In Nashville they were estatic to have 3100 for the usc-vandy game and in Athens they had the largest crowd of the year this weekend of 3000. We have that many season ticket holders. Yes there were a lot of empty seats, but I am guessing a lot of ticket holders were in the outfield and in the shade, since those stands were almost full.
Clemson is in the top ten in attendence every year even though we are not in a large metro area.
I have also wondered how many of you posters actually go to the games.

outfield seats were even more empty.***

Apr 2, 2012, 3:13 PM

they can announce whatever they want but on tv there were a

Apr 2, 2012, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Watching on ESPNU, wow, lotttt of empty seats. On a ]

lottt of empty seats.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic