Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK, so I stopped by the liquor store.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

OK, so I stopped by the liquor store.

Nov 10, 2011, 1:02 PM

My wife’s favorite wine is on sale and I’m out of rum. So, I promised her I’d stop by and pick her up a couple bottles. I didn’t really mind, since I was going to get myself some rum. It had been a good day. I played golf and shot three strokes under my handicap. After my round, I drove around the corner and found a parking space right by the front door of the liquor store. I couldn’t help whistling my happy tune as I breezed through the door and headed for the wine section. Yep, there it is—Bogle Chardonnay for $6.99, a great price. Life is so good, I grabbed an extra bottle and headed for the rum section with three bottles in tow. My standard rum, Cruzan, is only $19.99 for the big bottle at this store. Nobody else sells it for that around my area. Still whistling, I nab a liter-and-a-half and pivot to take my payload to the checkout counter.

That’s when I saw him. One of those guys who can sap the happiness out of a circus clown. His usual scowl seeming to leave a wake of dinginess as he strode right toward me, past the bourbon shelf, then cruising by the vodka display. The gap between us is quickly closing. It was the crotchety old deacon from First Baptist—a man so universally detested he’s commonly referred to as the “Demon Deacon.”

You know the type. He’s been “in charge” at the big brick church for forty years. He always gets his way because he’s more than willing to be meaner than anyone else. Many an unsuspecting new member has made the mistake of disagreeing with him only to learn there is a price to be paid. There is no telling how many members that historic congregation has lost because of the Demon Deacon. The man is so miserable, flowers wilt when he passes. Birds cease their singing. Wine turns to vinegar. And here I am, my wonderful day now ruined. Why did I have to run into him? I mused. There was absolutely no avoiding him.

My spirits lifted suddenly when I realized, shoot, he never speaks to anybody in the liquor store. It’s not like I ran into him at the Piggly Wiggly. There’s no chance he’ll even acknowledge me here. My happy whistling resuming, I prepared to be ignored as the miserable ol’ grump approached. To my surprise, the old codger spoke.

“Aren’t you a Clemson fan?” he demanded.

Crap! Trapped in the liquor store with my arms laden with bottles. “You bet! Clemson grad and a Clemson fan,” I reported. Now get lost, you SOB.

“Well your team is going to lose on Saturday. And I don’t mean just lose by a little bit; they’re going to suffer utter humiliation.”

He’s a Wake Forest fan—makes perfect sense. “So, you’ll be in Death Valley wearing black and gold, I presume?”

“Yes I will,” he growled. “Got 50-yard line tickets from the Wake Forest President, himself. He’s a fraternity brother of mine.” A despicable smirk spread across his ugly mug. “I wouldn’t miss this beat down of your over-rated bought-and-paid-for bunch.” His smirk had turned into a sneer.

“What are you talking about, bought-and-paid-for?” I was incredulous.

“I’m talking about Mike Bellamy and his fistful of money. I’m talking about Sammy Watkins choosing Clemson over the U. Everybody knows Clemson bought their only national championship and is still buying players to this day!” His face was so red, I thought he’d have a stroke.

I decided if he was going to have a stroke, it might as well be here. So I goaded him: “Are you sure you’re not a coot?”

“A what?!”

“You know, a peecock, #### lover, lamecock, Columbia chicken.” I was starting to have fun with this.

“No! I’m not a Gamecock fan, although I will say that’s the only clean program in the state of South Carolina. Steve Spurrier is one of the greatest coaches to ever stalk a sideline. And he’s never cheated to win!” I could tell I had pushed a button.

“You’d sure make a good coot, old man; you’re sure delusional enough to fit right in. As for your deacs, there is no way in Hades that bunch pulls an upset in Death Valley, let alone put a beat down on the Tigers. You have that backward. You do know we’re favored by 17, right? We’ll cover that in the first quarter!”

“Why, I ought to . . . .” He was shaking his fist while he said it, his nose so close to mine I could smell the gin on his breath.

“Back off, coot” I warned.

“You want a piece of me, Clemson boy?” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “Come on, are you chicken?” Now he’s shoving me and egging me on.

“Look, old man, you had better just get out of my way, or I’ll have to do to you what the Tigers are going to do to your deacs on Saturday.”

He persisted. “I’m going to teach you a lesson, tigger.” With that the old coot took a swing at my head. I cut blocked him right there in the aisle between the boxed wine and brandy. That’s one nasty old fart who won’t be in attendance for the Atlantic Division showdown.
Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Kidding.......right?***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kidding.......right?***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That has got to be

Nov 10, 2011, 1:08 PM

the after picture, cause that is one ugly sumbeetch

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Cliff notes please....

Nov 10, 2011, 1:10 PM

:)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well to make a long story short...***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well to make a long story short...***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:31 PM

I took out the Demon Deacon in the liquor store.

Kick to the nads?***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:32 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The details are in the story.

Nov 10, 2011, 1:34 PM

Save it for a time when you can enjoy a cold one.

Apparently you drank too much too. Fun story though.***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:39 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say Bravo Sierra!***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:43 PM

Re: I'd say Bravo Sierra!***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:47 PM

If I were you I'd plan on sitting in the front pew on Sunday

Nov 10, 2011, 1:53 PM

wearing orange.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

You tore my Dads ACL....not cool ;)***

Nov 10, 2011, 1:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[i]IF[/i] he comes to, tell him I said

Nov 10, 2011, 2:04 PM

GOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!

LOL! If he really pulled for WFU I'd make this a scene

Nov 10, 2011, 2:13 PM

from "Misery". good stuff David78

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May I suggest Sailor Jerry over Cruzan?***

Nov 10, 2011, 2:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

You've compared them and like the former?

Nov 10, 2011, 2:44 PM

I'll check it out if you can give me a good reason.

Sailor Jerry has a higher alcohol content***

Nov 10, 2011, 3:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Well, that's something, I guess. Cruzan has a very nice

Nov 10, 2011, 4:55 PM

caramel flavor, though. Excellent rum for the price.

Here's a good reason.....

Nov 11, 2011, 1:08 PM [ in reply to You've compared them and like the former? ]

To try the Cruzan Single Barrel - delicious. Also, this is great website for all your spirits. I've used it for my bourbon tastings, Irish Whiskey, Scotch and tequila tastings. Usually spot on with the review (sort by rating) since it takes various rating companies and combines in one website. For the bourbon drinkers, try Buffalo Trace - best bang for the buck.

http://www.proof66.com/display.php?frm=y&t=rum&sel=rum&att=&tab=ratings&varsort=aggscore_hl

Cool website. Thanks.***

Nov 12, 2011, 10:44 AM

Really loved the cut block at end, in reference

Nov 10, 2011, 2:30 PM

to deacons, who will surely unveil an array of these on Sat, to try to offset our talent as they usually do...

Yes, they will. They always do when they play us.

Nov 10, 2011, 2:45 PM

At least they don't have a 240 lb RB with 2.4 speed this year. Even cut blocking won't be enough for them.

Did you sweep the leg?***

Nov 10, 2011, 2:51 PM

Took him out low and rolled his knee. Served him right.

Nov 10, 2011, 2:56 PM

Didn't even drop a bottle either.

WC Fields would be proud.***

Nov 11, 2011, 10:38 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have taken you for a GT fan with the cut blocking***

Nov 10, 2011, 7:35 PM

Daid78, that dude is

Nov 10, 2011, 7:42 PM

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Oh yeah!

Nov 11, 2011, 7:59 AM

I got him good. He's out for the game, if not the season.

you were able to snap a picture of him in the midst of this

Nov 10, 2011, 7:48 PM

heated exchange? you are my hero

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Used my cell phone.

Nov 11, 2011, 7:59 AM

;)

Rum choices

Nov 11, 2011, 8:14 AM

The Cruzan estate single barrel is a good rum for the money. Try Zaya sometime. Its about 35 a bottle but convinced me to change from Macallen. Yes, its that good. Better than Macallen and a fraction of the cost.

Thanks. I'll try it when I want to stretch the liquor

Nov 11, 2011, 8:19 AM

budget. Cruzan is such a mellow rum for the money, it's my standard. My wife had a Grand Patron at Carraba's once, and now that's her favorite when she wants liquor--which is not too often, thank goodness! One part Grand Marnier and one part Patron......that's expensive stuff to keep on hand.

Don't let her try Tres Generaciones then

Nov 11, 2011, 8:44 AM

No argument with Patron... all of them are good. The Tres Generaciones is smoooooooove. Stay thirsty my friend. ;)

I'm glad I told her to read this before you posted that.

Nov 11, 2011, 8:49 AM

;)

Re: OK, so I stopped by the liquor store.

Nov 11, 2011, 12:51 PM

What a great story. I loved it. My family wanted me to go to Wake and become a Baptist preacher,but I went on down to Tiger Town,became an engineer and lived happily ever after,except when they lose to GT and other ACC teams. We will get Wake by a bunch!By the way,your story can't be true since real Baptist NEVER speak in the liquor store. That's why I became a Methodist. They speak in the liquor store and will even take a drink with you on ocassion!Go Tigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2011, 5:54 PM

Last time I saw the Reverend Bones Mckinney was in the ABC store at Friendly Shopping Center in Greensboro. RIP.

Nov 11, 2011, 9:35 PM

of course this is not true, a Catholic and a Presbyterian will speak to you in the liquor store, a baptist, we act like we accidentally walked in the wrong door if we see another baptist. :)

Have you not heard of the 2 buck cluck at the Palms?

Nov 11, 2011, 9:41 PM

Greatest on earth and you coulda saved alot of money, or so says Diptoola

David, why did you....

Nov 11, 2011, 10:07 PM

waste your time with that coot?

Re: David, why did you....

Nov 12, 2011, 10:57 AM

He needed cut-blockin'. ;)

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic