Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Danny Ford said...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Danny Ford said...

May 27, 2011, 7:12 PM

Winning championships should be the expectation at Clemson. WF did it. GT did it. Why shouldn't Clemson.

Danny must be a miserable guy because all he seemed worried about was results.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

article on CU Tigers by the way***

May 27, 2011, 7:12 PM

Couldn't agree more.***

May 27, 2011, 7:24 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Danny Ford said...

May 27, 2011, 8:01 PM

Isn't that why we play the game? That should be our goal every year.

May 27, 2011, 8:25 PM

I could be wrong but, it seems that in the last few years, Danny has been displaying a bad taste for Clemson. Could be that in his old age, he is displaying the bad taste he has over the way he was handled when dismissed at Clemson. Can't say that I blame him but, the team had nothing to do with it....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2011, 8:29 PM

I agree and I think he needs to step back and let Dabo build his own legacy.

This was before my time but I doubt Frank Howard was chiming in about every little thing Ford did in the 80's, so why does Ford feel the need to do it now.

May 27, 2011, 8:34 PM

Frank Howard didnt have a winning record versus the coots, let alone a natl championship. We likely left another natl title in the 1990's in the toilet after we forced Danny out. Worst thing to happen to Clemson in my lifetime. #### shame.

May 29, 2011, 5:54 PM

You think maybe Frank Howard not having a winning record against the Coots had anything to do with the fact that most of the games played during his tenure were in Cola?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

disturbs me somewhat that someone would cite a single

May 29, 2011, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford said... ]

statistic from Coach Howards career--like "he had a losing record to the coots"---as if making some sort of judgement. He had too many phenominal accomplishments at a small military/agricultural college to dishonor him thusly.

Coach Howard was Clemson football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: disturbs me somewhat that someone would cite a single

May 29, 2011, 8:56 PM

great post! I sure agree with what U said.. when I was there sometimes there would be couple hundred of us @ practice; I sure sure we got in the way but he never complained!!I sure wish we could get another like him or Danny!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every little thing in the 80s like a national title

May 27, 2011, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford said... ]

multiple ACC titles and big bowl wins?

TI and the internet werent around to interview Frank Howard

May 27, 2011, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford said... ]

Danny doesnt ask for these interviews. People ask him. Nobody complained when he was saying he had confidence in Dabo and thought he would do well. Now that he isnt pumping people dont wanna hear it. Honestly, Clemson fans dont wanna hear the truth when its not all sunshine and rainbows, and thats what Danny is saying, the truth.

People wouldnt pay Danny any attention if we were great...

May 27, 2011, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford said... ]

at FB again. We listen to Danny so we can remember what it was like to be great. Unfortunately, a lot of the fan base is living in the past bc our present is not too good. Im not one of them that does that, but I can see why a lot of fans do it.

We listen to Danny because he was a strong coach...

May 27, 2011, 9:54 PM

He didn't need cheeesy little catch-phrases and newly created pseudo-traditions to promote the football program. He built it from within, Monday through Friday in practice. He got the potential out of his players. That's really the most important thing that's been lacking since he left.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen and amen.***

May 28, 2011, 8:58 AM

Re: We listen to Danny because he was a strong coach...

May 28, 2011, 9:30 AM [ in reply to We listen to Danny because he was a strong coach... ]

Best post ever on tigernet. 1000% agree

you mean Danny was a real coach?

May 28, 2011, 11:31 AM [ in reply to We listen to Danny because he was a strong coach... ]

And not some buffoon front man? Wow, tough stuff for most of the Tnet pumpers to deal with.

Wrong.......Frank loved Danny!***

May 29, 2011, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford said... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What bad taste. He's right. Why not Clemson?...

May 27, 2011, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford said... ]

He hasnt said that we dont deserve to win one or cant win one. Everything he's said has been spot on. He said that USuC has caught up to us, which they have after winning back-to-back and 3 of the last 5. He said that winning should be the expectation at CLemosn which it should be. If anything, he's displaying faith in Clemson bc he's saying we have more potential than what we're accomplishing every year.

^^^p####y^^^***

May 27, 2011, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Danny Ford said... ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Unfortunately thats not the goal at Clemson anymore...

May 27, 2011, 8:31 PM

President Barker is content with being "relatively competitive" as is TDP, and a lot of fans refuse to admit that our FB program is only a little above mediocre.

Re: Unfortunately thats not the goal at Clemson anymore...

May 27, 2011, 8:36 PM

The quote is "reasonably competitive" and that is a very reasonable approach that the school administration should have towards the sports programs.

Even when the Alumni wants something else?

May 27, 2011, 8:37 PM

Problem is we have a UVA administration and a Alabama Alumni. There is a huge disconnect and its been an issue for a long time now.

Take whatever side you want, but the disconnect exists.

Re: Even when the Alumni wants something else?

May 27, 2011, 8:41 PM

Well they are certainly not donating Alabama or UVA money so that is part of where the disconnect stems from.

Re: Even when the Alumni wants something else?

May 29, 2011, 12:03 AM

I am not rich or poor, but if our AD promised to bring in the biggest name in college football, under the condition that a thousand fans donate a thousand dollars to get him, I would be the first to raise my hand. Even if it meant having to take on a part time job for a few weeks to get the money if I didn't have it.

But, I am not going to continue to pull out my wallet on 'wait and see' hires.

Did you know that when UConn joined major college football..

May 27, 2011, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Unfortunately thats not the goal at Clemson anymore... ]

their accepties SATs went up over 100pts. They were getting more applicants. Butler's application rate has goneup over 30% since making the Final 4. The number 2 reason that sudents choose a college is athletics. Why shouldnt the administration care more than they do? If Barker wants to be top-20 then having better athletics would go a long way to getting more applicants and allowing Clemson to be pickier

Re: Did you know that when UConn joined major college football..

May 27, 2011, 8:50 PM

Look athletics are important to a school, but for the administration there are more important things than the record of the football team.

Would you rather have a team that wins, but has the legal troubles of Auburn or Florida? Do you think our coach should be fired for not winning a conference title in his first 3 years?

Its not like the coaches and players aren't trying to win, it just takes time and patience to do it the right way.

When the administration does an investigation into....

May 27, 2011, 8:54 PM

our athletic dept and then says that where we are is okay, then theyre sending the message that they really dont care. Im not saying they need to do too much, but caring a little more isnt gonna take away from our academics

Re: When the administration does an investigation into....

May 27, 2011, 8:59 PM

Are you kidding?

In 09-10 we were in the College World Series, NCAA Tournament, and a Bowl Games (also ACCCG). We had a 1st round pick in football, basketball, and baseball. Probably the only school in the nation to do that.

We currently have plans for a $50 Million in facilities upgrades.

It sounds like we're doing alright to me.

Golf hasnt been living up to potential like it used to...

May 27, 2011, 9:02 PM

soccer is awful now, in the acc we should make a bowl every yr so going 6-6 in the reg season isnt anything to celebrate. the facility upgrades didnt come out until after TDP job was safe to settle fans down. TDP, at the time, had one ACC mens title in 8 seasons (baseball '06). I guess winning acc titles isnt important anymore

Re: Golf hasnt been living up to potential like it used to...

May 27, 2011, 9:12 PM

Right so because we are supposed to make a bowl every year we should ignore the fact that we've made a bowl game the past 12 seasons. We should ignore the basketball team making the ncaa tournament 4 straight years because soccer and golf are down. We should ignore the 4 CWS apperances in the last 10 years. Also facilities improvements to soccer and golf are included in the $50 million.

Don't let a few bad loses get in the way of the big picture which is our AD while not perfect, is doing a good job.

ACC TITLES SHOULD BE A PRIORITY....

May 27, 2011, 9:20 PM

we dont win them anymore and nobody seems to care. FB hasnt made progress since around '03-'05. We made the acccg bc we were in a weak div and we finished 9-5. baseball has always made the cws but is now failing to win acc titles like they used to do. basketball is making progress and isnt a problem with me. when tdp was hired, barker said his goal was to win acc titles and a natl title in fb, a final 4 in basketball, and a natl title in baseball within the next 10yrs. that was in '03. we havent done any of that and its okay with barker? seems to me if someone falls that short of their expected goals then they shoyuld be fired, but tdp was retained.

Re: ACC TITLES SHOULD BE A PRIORITY....

May 27, 2011, 9:38 PM

Weak division? So what. How many ACCCG were we in before that?

As to the goals, we have won 1 National Championship in football in over 100 years. We have never been to the final four, and baseball was 1 game away from playing for the national championship last year.

You don't fire somebody that is doing a good job because he can't reach somewhat unrealistic goals. Basketball is improving, baseball is good, and football is better off than it was in 03 (especially in facilities and recruiting).

The bottom line is that it is great for fans to have high expectations for their teams, but the administration needs to set realistic attainable goals and NOT function like the fan base which is ready to fire a coach after one bad game.

You still havent addressed the acc titles. we arent....

May 27, 2011, 11:10 PM

winning any. we arent progressing in baseball and fb. tdp has had plenty of time to find a coach who can win an acc title.

Re: You still havent addressed the acc titles. we arent....

May 27, 2011, 11:19 PM

So we should start firing coaches until they win one?

I'm sure that would help right?

It takes time Its not like we haven't been close you have to look at the big picture and not the specifics.

All three of the major programs have been in the position to win, they just haven't closed the deal.

seriously?

May 28, 2011, 12:54 AM

yes you fire them if they dont win. thats what they get paid a crap ton of money to do. you go hire someone who can win. thats kinda how athletics work. if your coach isnt getting it done, then you find someone who can. why not look at specifics? whats the big picture? we arent winning. basketball is heading in the right direction, but fb hs made no progress in several years. baseball has maybe fallen off just a little bc they arent winning acc titles anymore. theyre still good, but at a baseball program like clemson, youve got to win acc titles once every 4 yrs atleast. we're top 10 all time in wins.

Re: seriously?

May 28, 2011, 2:06 AM

No you cannot build a program by firing coaches every 3-4 years. Thats not how it works. You have to hire somebody and give them enough time. When you fire a coach players transfer, you lose recruits, and you lose fan support. Its important for the admin to be level headed and not react like fans who are ready to fire a coach after 1 bad game.

Football:
ACCCG in 2009 (lost 34-39), top 10 preseason in 2008

Basketball:
4 Straight NCAA tournament appearances.
ACCCG 2008 Semifinal 2011

Baseball:
CWS 2000, 2002, 2006, 2010
ACC Atlantic Division Champs 2006, 2010

So who do you fire? the 1st year BBall coach? The 2nd year football coach that just lead the team to their 1st ACCCG appearance? The baseball coach that led the team to 4 CWS appearances and 2 division championships?

You act as though we haven't been competitive. Just because we haven't won a conference championship doesn't mean its time to clean house.

^^tigerstyle's right, give dabo couple more yrs bc u lose

May 28, 2011, 8:22 AM

recruits and players & you have to start all over. i think Dabo finally has the staff and players that he needs. so after this year, if 2012 isn't a ridiculously awesome year, then he's gone. simple as that.

i for one think dabo has just built something great, and it took having last year's crappy season to fire the people needed firing and hiring the people needed hiring. and to go along with it we recruited the best possible people we could to fit morris's offense except for a qb and if we land chad kelly, that'll be the exact piece we need. prominence is coming and if it hasnt arrived by the end of the 2012 season then i'm sure dabo will be gone & all you dabo haters will have your wish. Patience

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^tigerstyle's right, give dabo couple more yrs bc u lose

May 28, 2011, 9:36 AM

Changes to a new system do not happen over night. You have to get the players that will run the system. In 2012 you lose 4 out 5 on the oline and 2 out of 4 on dline. Tough to replacement that many players and not have some let down.

2013-2014 should be the break out year if dabo can keep getting great recruiting classes.

blah blah blah, we'll be fine coot. now you guys on the othe

May 28, 2011, 11:35 AM

r hand... lose fattymore & alshon & the drunkard... OUCH

Re: seriously?

May 29, 2011, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: seriously? ]

> No you cannot build a program by firing coaches every
> 3-4 years. Thats not how it works. You have to hire
> somebody and give them enough time. When you fire a
> coach players transfer, you lose recruits, and you
> lose fan support. Its important for the admin to be
> level headed and not react like fans who are ready to
> fire a coach after 1 bad game.
>
> Football:
> ACCCG in 2009 (lost 34-39), top 10 preseason in 2008
>
> Basketball:
> 4 Straight NCAA tournament appearances.
> ACCCG 2008 Semifinal 2011
>
> Baseball:
> CWS 2000, 2002, 2006, 2010
> ACC Atlantic Division Champs 2006, 2010
>
>
> So who do you fire? the 1st year BBall coach? The 2nd
> year football coach that just lead the team to their
> 1st ACCCG appearance? The baseball coach that led the
> team to 4 CWS appearances and 2 division
> championships?
>
> You act as though we haven't been competitive. Just
> because we haven't won a conference championship
> doesn't mean its time to clean house.

We WASTED six years giving Tommy Bowden time, when he should have been fired back in 2002 or 2006. After the AD/President criminals gave him a rediculous buyout and new contract only to fire him six games later, they replaced him with an incompetent cheerleader. The premise for the head-scratcher of a hire was "we have everything in place, we sicmply need a little motivation to get us over the top."

Now, you pumpers go lock-step with the elites who killed Clemson football and keep it buried by allowing them to change the rules mid-course. Dabo was NOT REBUILDING! We were almost there, remember? He shouldnt get a full five years like a bottoms-up rebuild hire. He doesn't DESERVE to.

Re: Golf hasnt been living up to potential like it used to...

May 28, 2011, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Golf hasnt been living up to potential like it used to... ]

You are a flopping sopping bag of dewsh

LOL: "a few bad losses," eh?

May 29, 2011, 12:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Golf hasnt been living up to potential like it used to... ]

I had a VT grad that I worked with about 2 or 3 years ago read this article from Clemsontigers.com about Clemson being one of just a handful of schools to make it to a bowl, and the NCAA football and basketball tourneys the same year. He was ROTFL.

He said there are no 'Big Three' in college sports, there is Football and Men's basketball, and everything else is regional in appeal.

He said our admin had twisted the "Big three headline," to make up for the lack of championships we've had recently. He asked me would that headline make it to USA Today or SI before a team winning any type of championship would? In other words, besides Clemson fans that read that, who out there really gives it a thought, or even cares? I had no answer for that question....

I knew what he said was dead on. Our Admin loves putting that little stat up to make it look like our AD is doing fantastic. I mean after all, who else could accomplish something like that?

I would be willing to bet that UCONN puts Women's basketball in their "big three" over baseball. So, what could UCONN say this year?
UCONN, a school not long removed from 1-AA CFB, made it to a bowl game, a BCS bowl game that is.
UCONN's men's basketball team made the big dance, and the final four, and won the national title.
UCONN's women's team made it to the dance, and the final four.
Surely they don't play baseball at UCONN? Actually they do, and UCONN is number one in the Big East and playing for the Big East tourney title tomorrow. They may just even host a regional as well.
How would we look next to little ole UCONN?

In 2005 and 2006, Winthrop, little ole Winthrop made it to the Big Dance in hoops, and NCAA's in baseball. I guess since they don't have football, they could consider some other successful sport their third biggest, making it their "big three."

Coastal Carolina made it to the 1-AA football playoffs this past season. They were one upset loss away from making it the NCAA hoops tourney, but after the upset made it to the NIT. They will be headed back to the baseball tourney after winning the conference again.

So, off the top of my head; one Big East school, and two schools that compete at the lowest level in our own state could say things like that/put on their official athletic sites.

I get tired of excuses and sugarcoating. Danny Ford is right, and told it like it is. Some people are too afraid to say it on a message board. I haven't posted much recently, because the last few times I logged on I caught myself wanting to knock some reality around this place, but I figured if I did I would be called "Blue Caddy" or "Express." I don't think all "dumpers" are gloomers, some are realists and want the best for Clemson.

Examples of more stats that are sugarcoated, instead of addressed:

21 CURRENT BCS SCHOOLS have had at least a .500/non-losing FB season the past 17 out of 21 years, and Clemson is one of them............Sounds pretty good, like something our Admin would use, but they would leave this part out:

19 of those 21 schools have had AT LEAST FOUR ten win seasons. Texas Tech only has one; in 2008. Clemson is the only one of those teams that has zero.

Since 1991, Duke, Clemson, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa State, Baylor, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt are the only nine BCS schools that have existed since 1991 without a ten win season.

Only two teams in the CURRENT ACC haven’t won or tied for an ACC or Big East football OR basketball regular season or tournament title since at least 1991: NC State and Clemson.

I don't take pride in being listed with those names above, and would rather address those issues than read feel good little stats off of Clemsontigers.com at the end of every season.

Re: LOL: "a few bad losses," eh?

May 29, 2011, 1:37 AM

I appreciate your well thought out post, but I think you are missing the big picture. Do you really think our program has been at the same level as Duke,Purdue, Indiana, Iowa State, Baylor, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt since 1991?

Winning percentage 2001 to 2010

Clemson .598
South Carolina .556
Purdue .508
Kentucky .442
Iowa St. .414
Indiana .347
Baylor .330
Vanderbilt .279
Duke .188

The only team that is close to us is South Carolina and they are 7-13 against us since 1991.

We have been in the position to win, we just haven't yet finished.( Also who cares what VT thinks of our baseball program. VT is not good at anything outside of football so of course they don't care.)

Football
1999 2nd ACC (FSU won NC)
2000 2nd ACC (FSU lost BCS championship)
2006 2nd Atlantic (Clemson 5-3 WF 6-2)
2007 2nd Atlantic (Clemson 5-3 BC 5-3)
2009 ACCCG (Lost to GT 34-39)

Basketball
2007 3rd ACC/ACC tournament runner up (lost to #1 UNC)
2010 ACC tournament semifinals (lost in OT to #7 UNC)

Baseball
2000 2nd ACC/CWS
2001 2nd ACC
2002 CWS
2005 2nd ACC
2006 ACC champions/CWS
2010 ACC atlantic champions/CWS

Now it is certainly frustrating to be close, but not be able to seal the deal. That does not mean that it is time to clean house and start over.

We all want the program to take the next step, but that won't happen overnight. Its important to have patience and support our teams. We are moving in the right direction and more importantly we are doing it the right way bringing in quality people and graduating our student-athletes.

I never said...

May 29, 2011, 4:47 PM

That at this moment we should clean house and start over. We do however, need to learn from the past and quit making the same mistakes time and time again.

Baseball: There is no way we fire a coach who has in position to compete for the title almost every year. Duke basketball fans were getting a little restless after they made it to their 8th final four in 1990, and suffered the worst loss in championship game history to UNLV. They finally won it in '91.
The baseball progam has been the one constant at Clemson through my life. It is frustrating we haven't closed the deal yet, but I am confident we will one day.

And I asked my VT co-worker if he was bitter because VT is awful in baseball. He said that had nothing to do with it, and knew VT was horrible in baseball. His shot back at me was do I think Clemson sugarcoats things to make us look good, because we have no championships to talk about? I could not dispute that.

As for basketball, this is an area where there is no major pressure on the AD to get a big name. Even the most level headed of all Clemson fans have sense enough to know that we're not going to get Kansas, Kentucky, or Louisville's coach. Clemson has never been a basketball power, and hiring a mid major basketball coach is pretty much what we expect.

Football: Clemson should be able to make a good hire without a problem. We have an SEC like stadium/facilities/fan support, but we are in the ACC. A lot easier to win in the ACC than the SEC. I am pulling for Dabo, but in clear conscience I can't rattle off lies, because I believe the odds are against him.

The VT fan is not the only one I've had conversations with. I've spoke with SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 fans. One of my Auburn neighbors asked me in all honesty why a team with an Auburn/SEC like potential makes North Alabama type hires, and if I was behind those hires. I was honest, and said I wasn't for the Dabo hire, but just like any President elected that I didn't vote for, I have to back the chief.

" Do you really think our program has been at the same level as Duke,Purdue, Indiana, Iowa State, Baylor, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt since 1991?"

I will just say this; Big Ten fans I know view us as a Purdue, Big 12 fans as a Texas Tech, and SEC fans as an Ole Miss. Not bottom of the barrel, but nowhere near the top.

What do you think about this?

Of the BCS conference schools that have been in BCS conferences since 1995, there are 61 teams. 16 of those teams, 26.2% have not won nor shared a conference title:

ACC: UNC, NC State, Duke, and Clemson
SEC: Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, Scar, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky.
Big East: Rutgers (Only team left that's been in the Big East since 1995 with no kind of title).
Big 12: Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Iowa State
Big 10: Minnesota and Indiana

74% of all current BCS conference teams who've been a part of a major conference since the early nineties have won or tied for a conference title.

18 out of 61 teams have had less than ten .500/winning seasons since 1990. Despite that, 12 of those 18 teams still have either won/shared a conference title or had a 10 win season in those few of winning seasons.
Washington State and Maryland both have 3 ten win seasons and at least one conference title.

No, the past two decades we are not a Baylor, Vanderbilt, or a Duke, but along the lines of an Ole Miss or Texas Tech. Similar to them because we are known to have some winning seasons, go to mediocre bowls, and beat some good teams every once in a while, but never deliver in the championship category.

And as far as your winning percentages, that actually makes us look even worse. It's proof that we are inconsistent.

I'm not sure what you are arguing

May 29, 2011, 7:27 PM

It seems like you're mad that Dabo was hired.

This whole argument started by me saying the AD is doing a good job(Another poster said our admin was incompetent because they did not find a problem in our AD when they looked into it.)

So I bring up baseball because Football, Basketball and Baseball are the 3 most important sports At Clemson. We are doing great in 2 of those sports(baseball and basketball) and in the other we are having troubles getting to where we want to be.

It may not be the ideal situation to have a young inexperienced coach like Dabo learning on the sideline, but he has grown a lot this past year and I believe he has a very bright future here. You can disagree with the decision to hire Dabo, but its hard to make the case that we need to go in a different direction in the AD because of it.

It wasn't necessarily...

May 29, 2011, 8:29 PM

All directed at you. I probably could have started a new topic. I was catching up with some posts last night and got tired of reading, and stopped with this thread.

No, Dabo was certainly not the ideal candidate, but like I said, it is what it is and I would love for him to prove the critics wrong.

As for the AD, he has made one hire in football, and two in men's basketball. The hires in basketball were probably his easiest. We were at an all time low with Larry Shyatt, so any upgrade was going to likely look better, and there are not huge expectations in basketball. It's fantasy-land for any Clemson fans to say, "Our AD needs to get Rick Pitino." The football hire is still a question in waiting. And whether it is fair or not, TDP likely put his Clemson legacy on the line with that one hire alone. And by not hiring a big name, he put a lot on the line with this one.

I get tired of reading, or seeing people laugh about things like this on the AD's profile:

"Clemson was one of just eight schools nationally to go to a bowl game, the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament and the NCAA Baseball Tournament. It was the second straight year Clemson accomplished the “high profile sports triple.” Clemson joins Florida State, Minnesota and Texas as the only four schools to do it in consecutive years."

That is not a significant accomplishment, and does not give us anything for others to be envious of. That is something to get cheerleaders and sunshine pumpers laughed at when they recite it to Alabama or VT fans. We can do some talking if we are able to say something like, "Clemson made it to the final four, won a BCS bowl, and won the CWS in the same year." Those types of quotes above are probably better just left blank. I googled "high profile sports triple" and Clemson was the only college team that came up, leading straight to TDP's profile link. TDP or whomever needs to realize how small school that makes us look......

um, its a known fact n america that the big 3 sports that

May 29, 2011, 3:40 PM [ in reply to LOL: "a few bad losses," eh? ]

people watch NATION-WIDE is Football, Baseball, Basketball (in that order of popularity) Google it.

For college, basketball is far and away the 2nd leading

May 29, 2011, 3:49 PM

revenue source. Nothing else is even close.

STANLEY YOURE BACK NO MORE MATTY??!! I MISSED U!!***

May 29, 2011, 4:07 PM

and to answer your post, yes basketball is college 2nd in

May 29, 2011, 4:12 PM [ in reply to For college, basketball is far and away the 2nd leading ]

revenue, but in america's popularity of "most-watched" (ratings) it goes 1. Football, 2. Baseball, 3. Basketball. (Basketball took a major slip after 1998 when Jordan retired, but has made a come back recently with the upcoming of the Lebrons & the D Rose's)

Nope, not in college sports

May 29, 2011, 5:06 PM

And I think I read somewhere that in pro sports the NHL was viewed more than MLB, but I am not sure there. But typically in America, it has always been Football, Basketball, and Baseball (In no order), but not in college. It's all about where you live. Some places it could be hockey, lacrosse, or women's basketball.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=13321088

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2010/07/05/cwsratingsdown/

Re: When the administration does an investigation into....

May 29, 2011, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Re: When the administration does an investigation into.... ]

About those three high draft picks, it was great and I was proud of those guys, but let's be real, the timing was just a coincidence to have those three guys coming out in the same year. It did not boost us to the top of the Director's cup rankings, or put us on the front page of ESPN Mag or anything. You are entitled to feel good about whatever you want, but it really shows me how fall we have fallen when we have to dig up stuff like this to get us pumped up.

And I know that more than just football facilities are being upgraded, but I can't help but think back 7 or 8 years ago when I would read this board and people would slam Tommy Bowden for talking about facilities to help recruiting in his weekly press conferences.

"Strive for mediocrity" is what I want my employees to do.

May 28, 2011, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Unfortunately thats not the goal at Clemson anymore... ]

We'll then all fail together.

Re: Unfortunately thats not the goal at Clemson anymore...

May 27, 2011, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately thats not the goal at Clemson anymore... ]

I don't think I would agree that our program is above mediocre. At this point, we are mediocre at best....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...

May 27, 2011, 9:58 PM

And Dabo Swinney hasn't proven to me yet that he's a legit college football coach. One thing is for sure - getting waxed year after year by the coots ain't gonna cut it here. And I don't give a dayum what Pres. Barker thinks. Athletic excellence and academic excellence are NOT mutually exclusive. They go hand it hand at MANY schools.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gee

May 27, 2011, 11:41 PM

That's what Dabo said too
That's what Spurrier and Holtz said at South Carolina.

Danny also said recently that Clemson needed to get better players.

May 27, 2011, 11:46 PM

I say that everyday on here and get blasted for it. However Danny is working for the enemy these days as well. That still ticks me off

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic