Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo = Mike Singletary
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 3,125

Dabo = Mike Singletary

Dec 26, 2010, 7:26 PM

Both were position coaches who were then interim coaches when the head coach was fired in the middle of a season and did VERY LITTLE but still were promoted.

But talk up toughness and being physical instead of teaching the players to be smart and disciplined and coaching fundamentals. As a result, both have teams that make the same stupid mistakes (penalties, turnovers, etc.) week after week.

Both have teams that can't win close games or win on the road.

And both are squarely in over their heads.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo = Mike Singletary sideline video

Dec 26, 2010, 7:31 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/26/mike-singletary-troy-smith-sideline_n_801362.html

Dec 26, 2010, 7:32 PM

Thanks. Forgot, another similarity. Neither one can control their quarterbacks.

Dec 26, 2010, 7:36 PM

This post = ignorant.

Dec 26, 2010, 7:55 PM

What's ignorant about it? Enlighten me oh wise one.

Dec 26, 2010, 8:35 PM

It has been my experience that Ignorance perpetuates because the Ignorant refuse to accept enlightenment.
No I did not just call you ignorant.

Dec 26, 2010, 8:42 PM

HAHA. Nice. I would accept some if someone would give me some.

Dec 27, 2010, 10:21 AM

Sounds like there is hope for you.

Dec 26, 2010, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo = Mike Singletary sideline video ]

this post sounds pretty insightful. there are a ton of similarities. do you have a rebuttal for his argument?

Re: Dabo = Mike Singletary

Dec 26, 2010, 8:03 PM

point for you. I never saw the similarities until now. hopefully clemson will not hang on to dabo as long as san fran has with singletary.

Dec 26, 2010, 8:11 PM

I'm a 49ers fan, so it was PAINFULLY obvious to me. I tried to like both coaches, but they're both ALL talk.

the difference being of course that Singletary is a Hall of

Dec 26, 2010, 9:19 PM

fame Linebacker, and Dabo was a bench warmer at Alabama. Singletary was/is a very successful position coach in the NFL.... Dabo was a ok WR coach.

Re: the difference being of course that Singletary is a Hall of

Dec 26, 2010, 9:22 PM

Singletary wasn't THAT successful as a position coach. His LBs with the 49ers were terrible other than Willis.

he was also the LB coach here in Baltimore for several years***

Dec 27, 2010, 8:36 AM

When did Singletary play for a championship or win

Dec 27, 2010, 9:33 AM [ in reply to the difference being of course that Singletary is a Hall of ]

his division as coach? They are similar in one way, both have under-achieving, highly rated QB's

Dec 26, 2010, 9:54 PM

Dont you see, it is all about the process? Wins and losses are for losers. Both teams have gun slogans, uniforms and support staffs. That is all that matters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2010, 10:53 PM

HA. nice.

Dec 27, 2010, 10:23 AM

YOU=DO NOT HAVE A CLUE!

Re: Dabo = Mike Singletary, the difference is....

Dec 27, 2010, 10:24 AM

Both are more successful than MelClem OR CUwRx!
Haha!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo = Mike Singletary, the difference is....

Dec 31, 2010, 12:53 PM

Well, I'm pretty good at my job.

What a revelation- did you see a bright light as well?*****

Dec 27, 2010, 12:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Melclem = DJ Mel-n-Cholly

Dec 27, 2010, 12:53 PM

Spinning the same record over and over and over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Melclem = DJ Mel-n-Cholly

Dec 31, 2010, 12:52 PM

HA. Thanks. That actually made me laugh.
That makes me like Dabo then.

Only one of them just got fired.***

Dec 27, 2010, 1:07 PM

Re: Only one of them just got fired.***

Dec 31, 2010, 12:54 PM

Unfortunately.

Melclem in response to the Dabo-Singletary comparison..

Dec 27, 2010, 11:15 PM

both are criticized by fans who don't have a clue how to run a football program or coach a team. "Interim...middle of a season..did VERY LITTLE"---Exactly what do you expect as results from interim coaches put in during the middle of a (lousy) season?

They "talk up toughness and being physical"--(thats a horrible thing to do) "instead of teaching to be smart, disciplined..fundamental" Well of course no good coach EVER tries to teach all those together---that would be silly of them. "make the same stupid mistakes week after week"--You expect Dabo or Singletary to tell their guys not to be stupid??

Of course-Dabo and Singletary want to lose close and road games..othewrwise they would have to teach being "smart, disciplined,...fundamental" in lieu of being tough and physical.

"squarely in over their heads"--obviously everything should be fine after 2 years!

Lets see 49ers w/l records
2004 2-14
2005 4-12
2006 7-9
2007 5-11 (Walsh died preseason) but hey at one point he
was a position coach and was clearly in over his head. Did he win some super bowls or something??? nahh-couldn't have! Don't forget that Nolan guy!
2008-7-9 Singletary interim--obviously 7-9 is no better than 5-11
2009 8-8 49ers draft and trade trying to rebuild team. Clearly one more win is a step backwards
2010 to date 5-10 --went 0-5 and then 5-5 since --kinda like that team left by that former position,over his head coach Bill Walsh. RIP Bill Walsh. You were a fine man but in reality you and Mike Singletary were lousy coaches.

Our history

Tommy West 34-28 career--admitted he was in over his head after 3 bowl losses and a final 3-8 season.

Tommy Bowden 72-45 2nd year head coach (another former position coach who pulled our program down--look how much worse we were than with TW.

Dabo 19-14 after 2nd full year of changing offenses from a gimmicky failing finesse type to a hard nosed more physical attack which was a change the fans had demanded..not to mention that players present were designed to mesh with the former offense more than the current one.

In view of all that, it is clear Dabo and Singletary were way in over their heads. While both teams enjoyed success in the 80's - mostly late 80's and into the early 90's and then went downhill from then to now(the overall trend) one can make no mistake about the fact that after 2 seasons it is clear that Dabo Swinney and Mike Singletary were taking 2 football dynasties to ruin. They are both CLEARLY worse than any other position coaches promoted to head coaches in their teams' football histories especially in ours where 4 out of the last 5 were previous very recent position coaches.

I guess with your overall reasoning our program, in general, is in over its head because we keep screwing it up, a result one must clearly lay at the feet of all our previous and current coaches who were position coaches promoted to head coaches. We have no tradition, no history, no success--its a wonder the base of the upper decks have not been littered with decaying corpses from the horrific disappointment and aftermath.

If you disagree and think we do have tradition, history and success, I guess you might agree that some of the fans who say we hire coaches who are way in over their heads might not know how to run a program or coach a team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Melclem in response to the Dabo-Singletary comparison..

Dec 31, 2010, 12:48 PM

First off, Walsh was the offensive coordinator for one of the best coaches ever (Paul Brown). Walsh had paid his dues and wasn't handed a job he wasn't prepared for.
And what does his death have to do with the 2007 team? He had long since retired?
Can you not watch our Tigers and see how badly prepared and coached they are? If you can't, you don't know anything about football.

Replies: 26
| visibility 3,125
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic