Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey Guys
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Hey Guys

May 16, 2006, 2:42 PM

Hey everyone. I thought I'd come back and check out your board for a bit. How are things looking out of Clemson after Spring Ball? I hear you guys are awfully optimisitic about the upcoming season. Hopefully we see you guys twice this season. Hopefully we stomp yall both times. ;)

What do you guys see coming out of this season and what surprise players are yall gonna have? Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Hopefully we stomp yall both times"

May 16, 2006, 2:46 PM

I thought Vick was gone? ;)

ZING!!!***

May 16, 2006, 2:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Ouch!***

May 16, 2006, 2:49 PM [ in reply to "Hopefully we stomp yall both times" ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was pretty good

May 16, 2006, 2:49 PM [ in reply to "Hopefully we stomp yall both times" ]

I've posted before that I do think Vick has gotten a bad rap, but that he still needed to leave our program. He's not the monster he's made out to be (for one, it turned out he never pulled a gun on anyone and the guy who accused him stole money from someone some other way a few weeks later..... the whole story was fishy anyways). But yeah, he did need to go, and probably the first time.

Well, at least you're a good sport about it...point.***

May 16, 2006, 2:54 PM

HAHA!***

May 16, 2006, 2:59 PM [ in reply to "Hopefully we stomp yall both times" ]

I had the SAME thought! lol***

May 16, 2006, 2:59 PM [ in reply to "Hopefully we stomp yall both times" ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Hey Vtech! Hopes are indeed running high....

May 16, 2006, 2:47 PM

...and, we think with some reason. Depth and experience in most positions, some turly talented frosh and redshirt frosh coming in, a year of our OC's scheme under our belt and ...most importantly...a new punting scheme.

We took some hits in the defensive secondary, but hoping our improved skill and depth on the front line will help obviate that. Major upgrades in the running game, experience at TE and WR and a fellow named Rendrick Taylor who's gonna blow people away.

Hope we're both must-see TV when we meet up there!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Punting Scheme

May 16, 2006, 2:51 PM

Does that mean you guys finally scrapped that stupid spread punt scheme? As a former HS punter, I cringed when I first saw that, and it didn't fail to disappoint me when my first two glimpses of it produced a blocked punt and a TD return.

Its GONE! Long gone! Thank God!***

May 16, 2006, 2:53 PM

Re: Its GONE! Long gone! Thank God!***

May 16, 2006, 2:56 PM

Good for you guys. What made it so funny for me though wasthat I was at my dad's house for the Clemson-whoever yall were playing game, and I saw this and asked him why a team might do this (he's a HS coach at a prevalent HS). He said that it might have to do with coverage, staying in lanes, etc. 10 seconds later, the other team was dancing in the endzone.

"There goes that theory".

Probably the FSU game***

May 16, 2006, 2:57 PM

Finally, yes!***

May 16, 2006, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Punting Scheme ]

Welcome back...

May 16, 2006, 2:49 PM

Worst Case Scenario = 8-4 with losses to BC, FSU, VT, and either NCSU, GT, UNC, or Maryland.

Best Case Scenario = 12-0 (obviously, but it's not that far fetched this season)

Probable Scenario = 9-3 or 10-2. I'm going to lean toward 9-3 just because it's hard for me to predict 10 wins.

Players to look out for: RENDRICK TAYLOR. Think Vernon Davis in an orange uniform. PHILLIP MERLING. Opposite of Gaines Adams and better than Charles Bennett who was there last year. Don't think you can double team Gaines and leave Merling alone, or your QB will be on his back the entire first quarter.

Re: Welcome back...

May 16, 2006, 2:53 PM

I hate to hail anybody as "Another ____" but if he has that kind of ability, the ball's in his court to be a top player.

How's your new QB looking?

I wouldn't say anybody can be what Vernon Davis was...

May 16, 2006, 2:58 PM

He ran a 4.38 and had a 44" vertical leap and he's 260 pounds. Nonetheless, Rendrick looks like a body builder, seriously. He had a 97 yard TD catch in our spring game off a screen pass in which he outran all the DB's on the field. Someone show this man the Rendrick Hulk picture.

Re: I wouldn't say anybody can be what Vernon Davis was...

May 16, 2006, 3:56 PM

Proctor's not exactly "new"...

May 16, 2006, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Welcome back... ]

better runner than CW, but he'll have less need to shoulder the load like Charlie felt so often. Folks who are knocking Clemson because CW's not there anymore will be in for a rude surprise.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whitehurst

May 16, 2006, 3:06 PM

I've always thought CW was overrated. I think you'll see some growing pains in the first few games, but by the time you're coming to Lane, things should be back to normal.

CW, wasn't overrated, just playing hurt.

May 16, 2006, 3:10 PM

After an amazing sophomore year, he felt the weight of the world and a non-existent offensive line crumble around him. his senior year he shouldn't have been playing in a couple of games and was really hobbled. A new offensive scheme and a lot of new faces in the receiving corps didn't help either.

I think folks will see Charlie as a pro and wonder how his last two years at Clemson were so uneven. But it wasn't Charlie.

Proctor steps in with two years of Spence's wild man offense under his belt and a lot of seasoned help. He's gonna look like an old pro by game 3.

I'm hoping he looks like an old pro by game 2.

May 16, 2006, 3:12 PM

:)

Photobucket

46 School QB records & number 2 in ACC history for pass ydg

May 16, 2006, 3:30 PM [ in reply to Whitehurst ]

No way was he overated... just didn't have the supporting cast half the time.

yup. Its not the QBs fault that the WRs can't hang on to a

May 16, 2006, 3:34 PM

catchable ball!!

(I'm not blaming them for all dropped balls though!)

Photobucket

How are you guys going to be w/o ol Stompy McQuickdraw under

May 16, 2006, 3:00 PM

center?

We'll have someone who can lead by example

May 16, 2006, 3:07 PM

With Sean Glennon. He's not a physical freak, but he's got enough skills to not lose us any games. We'll see.

Hopefully he'll have the skills to not get suspended, either***

May 16, 2006, 3:09 PM

What do you guys see coming out of the VT game?

May 16, 2006, 3:04 PM

I'd heard that people over here were really confident in that one. I'll admit, that game makes me nervous, but we will see.

Personally, I'm gonna take us because....
A) I'm a VT fan
B) The game's at Lane.
C) The game's at night (though I don't think we're as good at night as some VT fans like to think).

VT 27 Clemson 20

VERY tough game for us....

May 16, 2006, 3:07 PM

...a night game at Lane on 5 days' rest after an emotional G. Tech game? It'd be a foolish man who doesn't worry about that one.

Right now id give you the edge, you will get us 4 days after

May 16, 2006, 3:08 PM [ in reply to What do you guys see coming out of the VT game? ]

we play Gtech. Thats always a tough game for us and its on the road on a thursday night.

Im picking Va Tech right now till this team shows me something

Re: Right now id give you the edge, you will get us 4 days after

May 16, 2006, 3:12 PM

I mean the Gtech game is a tough game for us.

Va Tech is a road game and its on a thursday night.

Im picking yall for right now

CU 24 VT 14***

May 16, 2006, 3:16 PM

Those factors didn't help much against Miami, did they?***

May 16, 2006, 3:09 PM [ in reply to What do you guys see coming out of the VT game? ]

I'll say this...

May 16, 2006, 3:15 PM

The Clemson Tiger team you're gonna see this year should be one of the better, more talented teams that we've fielded in the last 10 years or so. I honestly think we're gonna turn some heads this year. Secondary is our only weakness that I sense... and it's not really that bad. We do have some depth there without a doubt, but we'll sure miss Tye Hill.

Chances are good...

May 16, 2006, 3:17 PM

that this will only be game one between VT and Clemson this year. Go destroy FSU and make it happen!

I never claimed they did

May 16, 2006, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Those factors didn't help much against Miami, did they?*** ]

One difference though is that you guys are not Miami. Miami has their choice of whoever they want. Under Coker, while recruiting has been good (though not up to usual standards either), their players seem to turn on a switch and boom, they're amazing. They turned on that switch for the VT game. For other games, it looked like their JV team was the one that got off the bus. It also appeared that our team almost too the Miami game for granted. The Canes simply wanted it more.

However, GT, BC, UNC, and Maryland all have recent experiences with VT at night as well. 51-7, 30-10, 30-3, and 55-6 respectively were the scores. I'm not calling us to blow your team out, but it is possible. It's also possible that we lose. I can't wait until the games begin.

Not on our D... not this year***

May 16, 2006, 3:17 PM

We've had teams say that too

May 16, 2006, 3:22 PM

Every year, we seem to have a borderline game (Such as this game between our schools) randomly turn into a blowout. GT said that we would never beat them because of their strong D and we racked 51 on them. We racked 62 on a confident Syracuse D in 1999.

Thing is, we also have a random no-show from the team, often in a game where there should be no motivation problem. See also Miami/FSU this year, Syracuse in 2001, and WVU in 2003.

Where's the talent on VT's offense to blow us out?***

May 16, 2006, 3:27 PM

If I were you... go ahead and start planning for JD baby!!!

May 16, 2006, 3:28 PM

Super V and finding Nemo are gone right?

I wouldn't call our 01 offense talented either.....

May 16, 2006, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Where's the talent on VT's offense to blow us out?*** ]

But we managed to hang 31 on UVA by halftime. And really, other than an erratic QB, it's not like we had any real super star players on O.

Again, I'm not calling for a blowout, but it's not completely out of the question. That said, if Clemson is as good as smoe think they may be and if we do have a down year, it's possible the other way too. We won't know until the night of the game.

I agree completely... either team could get blown out

May 16, 2006, 3:33 PM

but more than likely it'll be a hell of a game.

Perfect summary***

May 16, 2006, 3:34 PM

We more than likely hung a few on VA that year too bud***

May 16, 2006, 3:34 PM [ in reply to I wouldn't call our 01 offense talented either..... ]

My point is..

May 16, 2006, 3:38 PM

...that we have this tendency to randomly blow teams out that we have no business blowing out. Even with no offense, it's as if we come together and just play our tails off for that one game. Syrcause in 99 was another prime example. What should have been a hell of a game was 62-0 at the finish. These games come almost at random.

However, like I said, we also tend to have a random game go the other way.

That said, I guess you guys are all too familiar with a trend like this. I don't understand how you beat Miami one week and lose to Duke the next.

Football is unpredictable and much is possible.

You're right.... but we're Clemson

May 16, 2006, 3:43 PM

and we honestly have been playing the best of the best for some time. We don't get blown out brother... with the lone exception of that Texas Tech bowl game about 3-4 years back. I can't tell you the last time we've gotten blown out by 50 or more. It just doesn't happen... and it won't happen this year. So go ahead and keep those thoughts to yourself on our board. Yes, anything is possible... I could get struck by lightening but odds are it will not happen. I think it will be a great game with all do respect.

Once again, I agree completely

May 16, 2006, 3:46 PM

The chances of a blowout on either side are remote, but anything is possible in football.

Like I said, I'm calling VT by a TD.

But anyways, it was great talking to yall. I'll be around occasionally. Time for me to go have a life though. ;)

Honestly if you won't to bring up old stuff... we own you.

May 16, 2006, 3:46 PM [ in reply to My point is.. ]

Check the all-time record! Sorry, I had to lay it out there, although you guys have been really solid as of the last 5 years without a doubt.

Before I go

May 16, 2006, 3:47 PM

you guys own the all time record, but we do have the last 3 wins. 98, 99, and 2000.

That said, we're both different monsters than we were from that era.

Welcome to a new era!***

May 16, 2006, 3:48 PM

"I can't wait until the games begin. "

May 16, 2006, 3:18 PM [ in reply to I never claimed they did ]

Amen! Spot the D a m n ball!

Hey VT - You've got a great school BUT - Tigers Will Win!

May 16, 2006, 3:33 PM

I can tell you there are three games our coaching staff is working on already and you're one. Our team will not be denied. College football is always unpredictable but I'll make this prediction: Clemson in a close one.

tell michael and marcus to button both snaps...

May 16, 2006, 4:06 PM

on their chin strap

nothing has ever annoyed me more!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic