Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when

Mar 20, 2016, 6:24 PM

he is replaced, VCU's Will Wade seems like a guy we should look at. Not just because he is a Clemson grad, but he also seems to have a Dabo type personality. I read a couple articles about him...enthusiastic, go getter, tells it like it is. Seems like that should work for the basketball team, too.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is a good coach. Will not be replaced. Go to Columbia!***

Mar 20, 2016, 6:31 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's with that dumbasss comment? I clearly said, he won't

Mar 20, 2016, 7:20 PM

be replaced this year. Personally, I hope he has a great season next year and gets things rolling long term. As far as going to Columbia, I don't go there any more often than a have to, and I assure you, I'm a Clemson grad & have probably been a Tiger longer than you have been breathing.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's with that dumbasss comment? I clearly said, he won't

Mar 20, 2016, 7:23 PM

Why would you think Wade would leave VCU for Clemson?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 7:38 PM

Yeah. Samrt didnt. I suspect knowing as much about the CU job as Will does probably doesnt help our cause. He would know all the bad aspects first hand

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 10:19 PM

A lot of that is changing. We will now have the facilities to compete. No reason we cant move to the next level.

Smart was a major commodity in the coaching world

Mar 20, 2016, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: What's with that dumbasss comment? I clearly said, he won't ]

He had his choice of where he wanted to coach, and a blank check to write himself. VCU may have more recent success than Clemson, but it's not a better job.

Especially to a Clemson graduate.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I agree. Very well said!***

Mar 20, 2016, 11:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Smart was a major commodity in the coaching world

Mar 21, 2016, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Smart was a major commodity in the coaching world ]

> He had his choice of where he wanted to coach, and a
> blank check to write himself. VCU may have more
> recent success than Clemson, but it's not a better
> job.
>
> Especially to a Clemson graduate.

Neither VCU nor Clemson are destination jobs. VCU has a natural recruiting territory and easier path to the tournament which clearly makes it the better job.

Re: He is a good coach. Will not be replaced. Go to Columbia!***

Mar 20, 2016, 7:22 PM [ in reply to He is a good coach. Will not be replaced. Go to Columbia!*** ]

### are you talking about

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Re: He is a good coach. Will not be replaced. Go to Columbia!******

Mar 20, 2016, 7:39 PM [ in reply to He is a good coach. Will not be replaced. Go to Columbia!*** ]

Brownell a good coach? Prove it. And use evidence.***

Mar 20, 2016, 7:40 PM [ in reply to He is a good coach. Will not be replaced. Go to Columbia!*** ]

Re: Brownell a good coach? Prove it. And use evidence.***

Mar 20, 2016, 7:48 PM

He finished seventh in the conference this year with no gym and less support (dollar and fan) than most of the other 15 schools.

What do you have that says he is a bad coach and use fact based evidence.

Mar 20, 2016, 7:52 PM

6th year and not even NIT

Mar 20, 2016, 7:54 PM

> 6th year and not even NIT

Dont let facts get in the way of your opinion

Clemson (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2010–present)
2010–11 Clemson 22–12 9–7 T–4th NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Clemson 16–15 8–8 7th
2012–13 Clemson 13–18 5–13 11th
2013–14 Clemson 23–13 10–8 6th NIT Semifinals
2014–15 Clemson 16–15 8–10 T-9th
2015–16 Clemson 17–14 10–8 T-7th

Mar 20, 2016, 7:57 PM

Umm I don't think you know what the word fact means.

I just ONLY posted a fact.

Did he go to the NIT this year?

Mar 20, 2016, 8:00 PM

> Umm I don't think you know what the word fact means.
>
> I just ONLY posted a fact.
>
> Did he go to the NIT this year?

We have been to the NCAA and the NIT within his six years.

He meant in year 6, ths season, we aren't in the postseason*

Mar 20, 2016, 8:01 PM

nm

Re: He meant in year 6, ths season, we aren't in the postseason*

Mar 20, 2016, 8:02 PM

Meaning it and saying it are two different things.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:05 PM

I said it your inability to read isn't my fault.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:12 PM

> I said it your inability to read isn't my fault.

I can only read the words you type.

6th year and not even NIT...

Mar 20, 2016, 8:13 PM

In his 6th year did he or did he not make the NIT?

Mar 20, 2016, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: He meant in year 6, ths season, we aren't in the postseason* ]

Dude - it says "6th year not in NIT" not "6th year never in NIT." You are the one reaching (and I can't believe someone is making me get ClemAlum117Tiger07's back). What's further ridiculous is that you somehow think pretending you don't understand what he meant and then pointing out Brownell has taken a program that went to 4 straight NCAAs to only a single post season appearance of any kind over the next five year is a positive. You will not be able to find a single coach actively employed (by the same school) to have a worse turnaround of a program. Seriously. Find it and I'll never post about basketball again. Until you do, maybe you shouldn't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Re: He meant in year 6, ths season, we aren't in the postseason* ]

Exactly.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell a good coach? Prove it. And use evidence.*** ]

I never said he didn't I said he didn't go this year.

Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when

Mar 20, 2016, 7:15 PM

Yep he is my number one guy

Mar 20, 2016, 7:45 PM

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't expect Wade to leave VCU for Clemson

Mar 20, 2016, 7:47 PM

You might just be right. But IF we were looking for a coach....he might be someone to at least have a chat with.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 7:52 PM

> You might just be right. But IF we were looking for
> a coach....he might be someone to at least have a
> chat with.

The chat would go something like this...

Hey Coach Wade...would you be interested in coaching at Clemson even though we have no history, no natural recruiting area, little chance to get a juco enrolled, your pay will be in the bottom third teams in our conference and on average will have less fans in the stands than VCU. BTW, basketball is the third or fourth priority of our school admin and fan base. What so you say to our offer?

Coach Wade...um, no thanks

Mar 20, 2016, 7:55 PM

Half of the BS you just spewed can easily be changed.

You seem to not mention the FACT he is an alumnus so that might have some appeal.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:02 PM

> Half of the BS you just spewed can easily be
> changed.
>
> You seem to not mention the FACT he is an alumnus so
> that might have some appeal.

Which half can be changed? Our history, location, making fans care more about basketball than football/baseball???

Mar 20, 2016, 8:04 PM

Money fans priority

When OP was rolling bball was EASILY second behind football.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:09 PM

When I was in school and lived near Clemson....during the Rick Barnes days.....I went to as many basketball games as my work and school schedule would allow. Little John was often full!

Mar 20, 2016, 8:11 PM

They were camping for tickets in the Rick Barnes days. Some of us desperately want Clemson to care about basketball.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:15 PM

I camped for tickets in the OP days

Mar 20, 2016, 8:21 PM

The Rick Barnes era was the only time I have ever had any trouble getting good seats to basketball games. Even when OP was winning someone always had a hookup or you could grab good seats for face or less at the game. It was tough to travel up in the Barnes days without tickets (and that was way before Stubhub and the like).

I think fans already care more about hoops than baseball..

Mar 20, 2016, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

They want to get into hoops. We just don't have an exciting product.

You're a defeatist loser.

Mar 20, 2016, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

We DO have some history. When we have a program that is achieving something in the ACC AND the post-season, our fans will show up. The support will be there.

The reason the fan support hasn't been there lately is because we have a terrible coaching staff that can't consistently get the potential out of the players they recruit. CBB has no fire, no intensity. His teams take on that personality, and they never build any momentum as the seasons go on.

He stinks. Period.

Our fanbase is sleeping giant. We have improved facilities and we are in one of the top, if not THE top, conferences in the country. Clemson might not be the best coaching job in college basketball, but it has the potential to be a lot better job than Virginia Commonwealth IF we can hire a competent coaching staff. These jokers we have now are robbing Clemson blind.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson fans care more about basketball than baseball.

Mar 20, 2016, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Yes, baseball is a popular sport at Clemson, but is not nearly as well attended as basketball games in terms of number of fans. I also bet that our televised baseball games have far fewer viewers than our televised basketball games.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 20, 2016, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

Wow.....it that is how the discussion would go then Clemson needs a better sales person!!

I am not saying he would entertain an offer but should we decide at some point to look for another coach....I think we should at least check in. Let him say...um, no thanks.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:10 PM

> Wow.....it that is how the discussion would go then
> Clemson needs a better sales person!!
>
> I am not saying he would entertain an offer but
> should we decide at some point to look for another
> coach....I think we should at least check in. Let
> him say...um, no thanks.

I get your intent but the fact is our basketball is the same as coot football with less mullet wearing fans. The coots thought that they would have their pick of coaches because they could pay top dollar and because of their conference. Notice how that worked out for them? Fact is there was little interest in the Clemson coaching position when CBB was hired and not much has changed since then. The casual fan gets all worked up watching the tournament thinking we are ACC and could have any of the mid major coaches currently playing. Unfortunately that is not reality.

Look, I don't think CBB is right for Clemson but not because he is a bad coach. It is because his style requires players with skill which is in short supply in the south. The players with skill typically choose a school with more tradition. OP made it work with athletes instead of basketball players. Athletes are much more abundant in and around SC. Unfortunately the down side is we are not likely to make a tournament run with this style but at least we could get there. There is a chance that CBB can bring in a few more players with the new facility but we won't know unless we give him a chance.

BTW, the never ending post about a new coach does not help the cause one iota.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:17 PM

I happen to think coach consistency is important. I have watched Tennessee closely with their revolving door of coaches. It's not good for any program.

Should we look for a new coach at Clemson. Maybe. I have not yet weighed in strongly at this point. I see both sides and frankly, my opinion matters little to the outcome.

I never said Clemson could get any coach they wanted. I just said Clemson might want to take a look. I think the VCU coach might be good. I think he might be good for Clemson.

Mar 20, 2016, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

Hey Coach Wade...would you be interested in coaching at Clemson even though we have no history, no natural recruiting area, little chance to get a juco enrolled, your pay will be in the bottom third teams in our conference and on average will have less fans in the stands than VCU. BTW, basketball is the third or fourth priority of our school admin and fan base. What so you say to our offer?

SC is actually producing a lot of talent. We have had 9 national recruits (top 150 players) the last 3-4 years. The problem is Brownell is a bad salesman. Jordan Brunner picked Yale over us. Tevin mack briefly considered us when Shaka left VCU, but decided to follow him to Texas. Everyone else, we were never in for. I don't expect us to get a guy like Seventh Woods, but we never tried. We never tried with a bunch of talented kids.

JUCOs - We have gotten 2 in the last 3 years, both of international guys, so that isn't a problem anymore. The policy of recruiting JUCO kids who can't help you in year 1 is though.

Bottom Third of conference is still more than he makes. He is only making a mil this year. Brownell fleeced us for $1.8 mil.

Not true about VCU hjaving more fans. Siegel sits 7,637. New Littlejohn will sit more (9,000 I believe). In OP's last year we had 10 sellouts at 10,000 people. Will Wade knows what Littlejohn can be like when the fans are given a decent product and a team who likes to compete.

Mar 20, 2016, 9:54 PM

We tried to recruit Woods but had no chance. Our facilities were crap which was a big sticking point.

Mar 20, 2016, 10:46 PM

We gave up very early on Woods which you might say is fine, good, and practical but it sends a terrible message to the rest of SC recruits that Clemson didn't even see itself as good enough for Woods.

that's one way to twist it***

Mar 20, 2016, 11:48 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have never beaten UNC for a "difference maker" out of SC

Mar 20, 2016, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

Never!

We signed Ricky Jones and Clarke Bynum who both looked like difference makers, but turned out to be nothing more than early versions of Milton Jennings.

Raymond Felton was and maybe Seventh Woods is good enough to be a difference maker. That's why UNC came knocking and that's why we were out of the running on both from the get-go.

We may not like it. It may hurt ... but it's the truth.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2016, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

You MIGHT be right but you still try

Mar 20, 2016, 10:24 PM

VCU is a much better basketball job than Clemson is. Basketball is the only sport they are passionate about. 87 consecutive sellouts. Much easier for them to get in the NCAAs than for Clemson to get in with the conference they are in. You have to have a guy really wanting to be at Clemson and ignoring the facts.

Mar 21, 2016, 9:55 AM

Their arena seats 7600. Selling it out with the success they have had the past few years isnt exactly monumental.

Their league is a good mid major but does not get nearly as many teams in the dance as the ACC. Saying it is easier to get in from their league isnt exactly true. Is it probably easier to win your conference? Yes. That doesnt mean it is easier to get in though see St Bonaventure this year.

Look at St Bonaventure they went 14-4 in the A 10 and were left sitting at home.

The A10 was given 3 bids this year.

They were given 3 last year.

Clemson does have selling points right now. Basically a new arena, play in the most prestigious conference in the nation, we would pay more than VCU is currently paying him, and he would be coaching at his alma mater.

Mar 21, 2016, 6:38 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

> You MIGHT be right but you still try

We pursued Woods but had no traction. Basically we had nothing to sell that he could not get more of or better at UNC BBall

Mar 21, 2016, 9:24 AM

What does that have to do with my post.

Mar 20, 2016, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I know Brownell will be here at least another year, but when ]

It would all depend on guaranteed money and length of contract.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic