Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sharing a Coach Frank Howard story possibly never heard.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Sharing a Coach Frank Howard story possibly never heard.

Jan 20, 2010, 9:39 PM

Back in 1965-66 I wrote sports for THE TIGER student newspaper and got to interview Coach Frank Howard...the Baron of Barlow Bend, Alabama...and then later in 1989 I ran into him after that year's Spring football game and he sort of remembered me.

Frank was in the Athletic parking lot near where the baseball field is now (not then)...and his car trunk was open where he had taken out a shovel..and he was shoveling the lumps of old mowed grass from the curb. OMG. This is the same man who helped start IPTAY in the 30's with Dr. Sikes of Atlanta. In fact Coach Howard went out in the hot summers of the depression period in his old beat-up car to call on farmers and other Tiger supporters for a donation of $10 for a new sports organization called IPTAY(I Pay Ten A Year) which might help Clemson College to compete with the best...or least not lose to PC, Newberry, Furman or other lesser schools. This was a lot of money back then..and he begged them for a $1 at least...and send the rest when they could. Can you believe this in this day of coaches making up to $4,000,000 PER YEAR!!! Shameful.

Anyway...after he got some of the money he needed...he filled in the city dump (now Frank Howard Field) with extra dirt...planted the grass seed & mowed it himself. Can you believe this?! I can when I saw him on that very warm (84 degrees) April day in 1989 shoveling old grass away from the curb since he liked things to be clean and well-kept. Wonder why? Maybe this sacred ground was his place...his garden...his Life...given out of desire.

The Coach was all sweaty...and when I greeted him it gave him a chance to lean against his car fender and cool down..so we chatted for about 10 minutes...and he told me an unreal story. HE told me that in 1960 when the Gamecocks came up to play us in football for the very first time in Clemson (1st time since 198?)..he had had an unofficial meeting with the SC Hwy. Patrol...asking them to allow the traffic to back up so those "B.st.rds" from Columbia would get all upset...and then they (lawyers,politicians,bankers & big #### givers) would eventually raise some money to build a road from Greenville through Easley to Tigertown. And, around 1966 that highway was finished....and Coach Howard called it HIS highway..."The Frank Howard Hwy". Wonder why?!

What a man he was...gruff, big, big talking, foxy, coaching several sports teams at once in the early years, raising money for IPTAY, grading/planting/mowing Death Valley's original field which was the city's dump, winning big games and conference championships in the Southern & ACC...and always loving Clemson even though he was a famous "LITTLE RED ELEPHANT" player on the Bama team that played in the Rose Bowl. He acted dumb & talked country pumpkin-like, chewing & splitting out tobacco juice everywhere..but he was a very smart man who majored in English. Oh yeah! Thank you Coach Frank Howard for being one our greatest coaching legends who really helped put Clemson College on the map in college football.

Oh, another story from this 68 year old grad;..I attended the very last Big Thursday Football Game in 1959 in Columbia at the fairgrounds as a RAT ("freshman" to you new fans)..and just before the game started several of us RATS jumped over the hedge and ran out to midfield when we saw the Tiger had his tail stolen by the #### male cheerleaders...but I hurried back to my front row seat quickly when a 225 lb cheerleader (a man, not a girl) chased me(135 lbs)and tore the rear pocket off my kakki pants...and that's when I knew this rivalship was real. We won the game big time with the help of Harvey White & Lowndes Shingler...and the Gamecocks hold on us and making us play every year in Cola was over..and Coach Howard tipped his hat and walked out of that hell-hole knowing the Birds would be coming up to our place.

The next year(in 1960)I helped guard the road through Pendleton with 3 other Tiger students...so to keep the ##### from coming up and stealing our statues or painting the campus garnet. It was so cold we had a bonfire...and wouldn't have known what a Gamecock looked like if he wasn't wearing feathers. Ha! Hope you enjoyed all this.

Cordially, Bill Willis in Hilton Head Island, SC

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome!***

Jan 20, 2010, 9:46 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old Clemson College was a He!! of a Place.***

Jan 20, 2010, 9:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Folks, this is HOF material. A must read.***

Jan 20, 2010, 9:57 PM

Agreed....I voted it in before I saw your post***

Jan 20, 2010, 10:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I loved reading that. Thank you for taking the time.***

Jan 20, 2010, 10:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best story on here in a LONG, LONG time. Thank you*******

Jan 20, 2010, 10:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sharing a Coach Frank Howard story possibly never heard.

Jan 20, 2010, 10:14 PM

Bill, loved your story. Thanks for sharing! go Tigers!!

Please share your great stories as often as possible!!!!!!!!

Jan 20, 2010, 10:15 PM

Thank you so very much. I loved Coach Howard. Even as a boy growng up in Anderson, I knew he was something special. You are obviously very special yourself. Thanks again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sharing a Coach Frank Howard story possibly never heard

Jan 20, 2010, 10:22 PM

Thanks! That brings back many memories even though you were way ahead of me(I started in 61)I can remember those old days of students guarding the campus etc. I never get tired of hearing those old Coach Howard stories. The last time I saw CH he was riding around the stadium area on a golf cart and you would have thought he was still very much in charge, which in a way he was. Thanks again.

Jan 20, 2010, 10:24 PM

Awesome! Please share more !

Jan 20, 2010, 10:28 PM

GREAT STORY, thanks for sharing!

Thanks....great read. Am I remembering wrong, or was

Jan 20, 2010, 10:55 PM

Lowndes Shingler from Sumter?

Re: Thanks....great read. Am I remembering wrong, or was

Jan 20, 2010, 11:44 PM

Both Shingler and White played football for Pinky Babb in Greenwood before going to Clemson.

Thank you for such an amazing story!! HOF must***

Jan 21, 2010, 12:00 AM

Thanks. Maybe he lived in Sumter at some later time.***

Jan 21, 2010, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Thanks....great read. Am I remembering wrong, or was ]

More posts like this, please! Great stories. ******

Jan 20, 2010, 11:19 PM

null

Simply Amazing...HOF!!!***

Jan 20, 2010, 11:25 PM

thanks for sharing.....great stories***

Jan 21, 2010, 12:22 AM

good stuff bill!***

Jan 21, 2010, 12:38 PM

Jan 21, 2010, 12:54 PM

I was a "Rat" during the 65-66 school year and remember how unbelievable that it was that we could go to his practices and actually stand right on the field just a few feet behind the coaches and hear absolutely everything they said to the players- even in the huddles before running plays.That was a big part of this country boy's education!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks.***

Jan 21, 2010, 4:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2010, 5:28 PM

THANKS from an amateur sports enthusiast **** Your great story on Frank Howard was the greatest! Being a newcomer and novice to the sports game and football in general, I have just recently heard of the late and great Frank Howard. ( I just heard a few snickers in the etheral audience..have patients with me guys) I'm amazed at the camaraderie generated by fans and their teams. Your very inspirational writing and love for your TIGERS and coaches motivate me to delve more deeply into collegiate sports and sport history. Please share more of your writing talents as we new people on the block are hungry for your comments. We will be waiting for your next informative and entertaing post.

Wish i could give this more than 1 point***

Jan 21, 2010, 7:25 PM

Best Is The Standard

Re: Clemson played USC in Cola for about 60 straight yrs til

Jan 21, 2010, 11:32 PM

the 1960 season when the Coots came up to Tigertown for the very first time in the history of the schools. Did the Tigers win that game...for they won the 1959 game in Cola.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson played USC in Cola for about 60 straight yrs til

Jan 22, 2010, 6:37 AM

Thanks for the story. The SC highway patrol part reminded me of when we were going home for the weekend from Clemson down I-26 in the early 70s. A gamecock came flying down the road and four Clemson cars caught and boxed him in slowing down to about 20 on the interstate. We kept him there for five miles (TRAFFIC WAS REALLY BACKING UP) We finally let him go and he really took off. Well, about five miles down the road, the highway patrol had him stopped for speeding I am sure. We tried to slow him down. he he

Re: Coot slowed down and then Caught Speeding. Great!!!

Jan 22, 2010, 9:25 AM

Way to go Tigersnake 1954!!! Give'em heck.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic