Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the Clowney situation:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

My take on the Clowney situation:

Feb 5, 2011, 11:19 AM

Do we want Clowney? Absolutely. He's the #1 recruit in th nation.

Does USC want Clowney? Absolutely, for the same reason and more.

Do we NEED Clowney? Not necessarily, but it would be a great addition and top off an incredible class.

Does USC NEED Clowney? 100% yes. If they fail to sign him their class will be considered a flop. Even though they did sign a decent class, without Clowney the fans and media will consider it a bust.

We (Clemson) are in a no lose situation in this deal. If we get him to sign, it will bring even more attention to the program than we've already gotten this recruiting season and crush the Coots. If we don't sign him, well, we weren't supposed to have a snowballs chance in hell anyway.

What I don't want to see if USC signs him are people saying we didn't want him anyway. BS. We do want him, everyone wants him. I'm sure there will be people on both sides that use that argument if he doesn't sign with their respective team.

Kid is a good, if not great, player. He seems to be a pretty decent kid. Good luck to him wherever he goes, hopefully Clemson, but if not so be it.

Personally, I'm just tired of all the speculation and can't wait until he announces.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on the Clowney situation: Yep good assessment

Feb 5, 2011, 11:50 AM

also this is like Bowers leaving early. DE is one of our better units on the team. you'd like to have one or both of these but as a unit it is still a strong one even without either of them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like SCar's D-line is actually in pretty dang good

Feb 5, 2011, 11:53 AM

shape as well.

I wouldn't say our DL in 2012 would be better than SCar's if you take Clowney out of both of our situations.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems like SCar's D-line is actually in pretty dang good

Feb 5, 2011, 1:22 PM

Agree. Defensive line should be a strength on both teams for the next couple of years. Agree with the original post, also. As a Gamecock fan, I like our class. Its not as good as Clemson's but its a good class. However, from a perception standpoint, losing Clowney would be very bad. #1 recruit he's been a strong lean for 2 years. Losing him would not kill us on the field, but it would look very bad. Could possibly influence recruits in the future that the #1 recruit in the country did not have faith in the program he's a fan of.

All that being said, i still think he's a Gamecock

Actually, we do need him. We've lost Sapp, Bowers Alexander

Feb 5, 2011, 12:08 PM

in the last 2 years and we lose Branch, Brown, and possibly Goodman this coming year. That's 5 and possibly 6 DEs in 3 years.

We need another DE this year so that, two seasons from now, we don't have to start a freshman at the position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on the Clowney situation:

Feb 5, 2011, 12:11 PM

If we don't get Clowney, to say we did'nt want him anyway would be a lie and a huge crock of crap. But, we can survive without him and the Sun will still come up 2/15/11. We came out better than expected anyway, greed can be contagious(and exciting), but time will tell. Keep the faith

Perfectly stated, sadly

Feb 5, 2011, 1:17 PM

many on both sides will turn on the kid the second he signs for another team. I haven't looked but I'd imagine it is going on right now on Bama boards.

My fellow Gamecocks would fry me for this but I'd rather he sign with CU than AL or anyone else. I've seen far too many "exports" to TN, FSU, UGA from SC. I greatly admire the role our state's high school football coaches and prefer their hard working results stay close to home.

Feb 5, 2011, 4:01 PM

It is always funny to hear people say "oh we dont need him anyways". Some scouts have said he is the best HS prospect maybe ever. Ummm both SC and Clemson need him. People who say they didnt need him anyways is just saying it to make themselves feel better about not being picked, if that is the case. He will come on campus and immediately compete for a starting job. Clemson and SC are not good enough to say "oh we dont need the #1 recruit in the nation".

Feb 6, 2011, 10:55 AM

YES, every college could use this young mans talents, and I too feel he is going to end up at USC, and I think the only reason he is considering Clemson is{remmber the FAB 5 that went to Michigan many years back to play basketball, all freshmen(5) and together made history},
to me the only reason to delay your signing to to have time to look over all classes and to better fit in to get the most out of your three college career. He is smart and he can see himself as the other five 5 * player playing together(using all recruiting services(making 6 5* players playing together, making them the FAB SIX.....other than that I think he is USC bound. Yes,both teams want him and need him.....have a great super bowl!!!!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic