Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm done with Kevin Steele
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

I'm done with Kevin Steele

Sep 7, 2010, 1:34 PM

He is a stud DQ like I'm a brain surgeon. Stayed in a nickel (looked like a dime, but Quandon Christian looks like a DB) the whole game. NT didn't go deep, just underneath stuff. Maybe changing to the base should have been tried. He didn't change against Middle Tenn, and they went up and down the field. That was a disgrace for defense against that caliber of team. If I were a OLB in high school, I wouldn't come to Clemson, cause this guy might sit you for 2 of 12 games a year. Oh, and give up 400 yards a game to patsy teams while your butt rides the pine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm done with Kevin Steele

Sep 7, 2010, 1:36 PM

He never had any use for you, so no problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

maybe we needed to work on our Nickel package?***

Sep 7, 2010, 1:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2010, 1:38 PM

Well, bye.

hmmmm...

Sep 7, 2010, 1:39 PM

most people spell coordinator with a 'c'.

but i do like a nice foot long chili cheese dog on occasion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did it occur to you that was by design

Sep 7, 2010, 1:42 PM

Coach Steel knows Clemson can beat teams like MTSU, NT, and PC by running a simple base defense and in so doing doesn't reveal too much that will help Auburn prepare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Maybe, but we could have lost Saturday.***

Sep 7, 2010, 1:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, Joseph, we couldn't have...

Sep 7, 2010, 1:54 PM

...winning by 25 despite deliberately keeping the playbook closed is a pretty fair indicator of how remote the chances of that occurring were.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.***

Sep 7, 2010, 1:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We weren't in danger of losing, but our D played poorly

Sep 7, 2010, 2:07 PM [ in reply to No, Joseph, we couldn't have... ]

for the most part, any way you slice it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If he was infact doing the equilivent of going 15 in a

Sep 7, 2010, 2:13 PM

neighborhood where it is safe to do 25, I'd have like to see him turn the heat up just a bit so that we may have gotten the ball in the O's hands more often. Passing game needs tuning.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### rev, you are the man!***

Sep 7, 2010, 2:24 PM [ in reply to No, Joseph, we couldn't have... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Rev., come on. We couldn't stop 'em. I'm not concerned

Sep 7, 2010, 2:55 PM [ in reply to No, Joseph, we couldn't have... ]

and I haven't been critical of Steele, etc. but the team we played was Saturday was certainly capable of beating us.

You can't be that blind to history or even JState against Ole Miss on Saturday.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has never lost to a team of that caliber in

Sep 7, 2010, 3:29 PM

modern history.

Since WWII, you can search the records for any instance in which Clemson has lost to a team like Furman, Citadel, College of Pacific, Middle Tennessee State, North Texas State, Western Carolina, etc., etc.

The list of those types of opponents is long, but the list of losses is extremely short. Non-existent in fact.

We may not always win the big ones.

And we don't always even win the ones we "should" win.

But, we NEVER lose the little ones.

That's just a fact.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But you agree we could have lost Saturday I hope.

Sep 7, 2010, 3:50 PM

We couldn't stop 'em and I'd hate to sit through it again without NT getting that stupid celebration penalty when it was 14-7.

We stopped them every time they threatened except the

Sep 7, 2010, 3:54 PM

one perfect throw and catch. What you still don't seem to get is we didn't blitz until we had to stop them. Then we did. We could have done it all day.

If true, that's playing with fire, imo.***

Sep 7, 2010, 4:07 PM

Honestly Joe .. I never felt for one second that there was

Sep 7, 2010, 8:38 PM [ in reply to But you agree we could have lost Saturday I hope. ]

any danger of losing.

And I didn't sense any urgency in the rest of the crowd either.

I was frustrated, but NTS never seemed to be dong much of anything but eating up yards between the 20s.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson has never lost to a team of that caliber in

Sep 7, 2010, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Clemson has never lost to a team of that caliber in ]

Never? 1951 Pacific game? Maybe I'm wrong.

Glad we didn't play Jacksonville State!

LOL...if you really believe that....

Sep 7, 2010, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Maybe, but we could have lost Saturday.*** ]

you either weren't watching or you simply don't know anything about football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most people on TigerNet don't know anything about anything.***

Sep 7, 2010, 2:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think North Texas can't beat us, you cetainly know

Sep 7, 2010, 2:56 PM [ in reply to LOL...if you really believe that.... ]

nothing of football or history.

Re: If you think North Texas can't beat us, you cetainly know

Sep 7, 2010, 3:00 PM

Tell us more Grantland Rice.

No doubt, any team can win on any given day

Sep 7, 2010, 3:19 PM [ in reply to If you think North Texas can't beat us, you cetainly know ]

But no matter how badly you think we played Saturday, we were nowhere near losing that game.

14-7 early in the 3rd quarter?***

Sep 7, 2010, 3:51 PM

It was 21-7 at halftime.***

Sep 7, 2010, 4:01 PM

Okay. Yea, we got an intercept by Sensabaugh when

Sep 7, 2010, 4:06 PM

they were driving.

Right.

Sep 7, 2010, 4:09 PM

So, we stopped them before they ever had a chance to get with 1 score in the second half?

Yep. I was still sweating and they were capable of

Sep 7, 2010, 4:12 PM

beating us, imo. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Come on man, you don't really believe that do you?

Sep 7, 2010, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Maybe, but we could have lost Saturday.*** ]

We were never, at any time, in dange of losing that game. In fact after the first quarter they never had the ball within a single score.

Of course the D could've played better, but we were never in a position to lose that game.

It was 7-0 with 2:50 left in the first half. North Texas was

Sep 7, 2010, 2:58 PM

very capable of beating us.

That is true I had forgotten about the long drive (timewise)

Sep 7, 2010, 3:18 PM

They had the 7 minute drive in the second that went for 36 yards (and then a punt).

But honestly, we were never close to losing that game. Its perfectly fine to say our defense underperformed but I think you really have to stretch to feel like we were ever in danger of losing at all.

I was sweating like a ####.***

Sep 7, 2010, 3:52 PM

Re: I was sweating like a ####.***

Sep 7, 2010, 3:55 PM

Well, it was a sunny day.

About 10 years ago when Nebraska was ranked fairly well, a

Sep 7, 2010, 5:45 PM [ in reply to That is true I had forgotten about the long drive (timewise) ]

visiting Louisiana-Lafayatte team came in and put up more than 500 offensive yards on the Huskers. The result, Nebraska still pounded La-La and went on to have a pretty decent season. I'm not worried about the 460+ yards UNT put up Saturday.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Giving up 462 yds and them dominating TOP was not by design.

Sep 7, 2010, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Did it occur to you that was by design ]

Vanilla defense, yes; but we still played poorly on defense and we have some serious work to do.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That's not what I said either....

Sep 7, 2010, 2:20 PM

but changing defenses would have stopped a lot of that. The poor tackling and overpersuing can be corrected.

I know you didn't. I'm just pointing out that we shouldn't

Sep 7, 2010, 2:26 PM

be concerned so much about the fact that we stayed vanilla on defense all day, but we should be concerned because we played poorly.

- H. L. Mencken

Which is why I did say....

Sep 7, 2010, 2:29 PM

the poor tackling and the overpersuing can be corrected. Those were the two most glaring problems with the defense on Saturday.

It was more than that.***

Sep 7, 2010, 2:31 PM

- H. L. Mencken

You seem to be working under the assumption....

Sep 7, 2010, 2:42 PM

that the defense we ran against North Texas and the defense we will run against PC will be indicative of the defensive packages we'll see for the remainder of the season.

Are you familiar with the old saying about "never assume"?

Not at all. I'm just saying that we played poorly and it was

Sep 7, 2010, 3:04 PM

more than poor tackling and over pursuit, and it wasn't just because we stayed in the same package all day.

It's just the first game, and we won handily, so it's not the end of the world. I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get things fixed. However, I saw enough of the same things that hurt us last year when we weren't playing vanilla, to cause some concern. I think it's funny that some people either couldn't see that, or won't admit it.

- H. L. Mencken

not that I agree with the I'm done part....but any DC that

Sep 7, 2010, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Did it occur to you that was by design ]

designs a D to be weak where he has had trouble....ain't too bright....they need practice on clogging the middle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Did it occur to you that was by design

Sep 7, 2010, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Did it occur to you that was by design ]

ohh come on....i am not saying to bash the man but if you think playing soft and missing tackles is "by design" then lets move on to the next subject. This is not news to anyone who has attended scrimmages and practies recently. Defensively we hve a long way to go!!

LOL !! .. that's why he spent the presser declaring...

Sep 7, 2010, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Did it occur to you that was by design ]

he would get it fixed, when in actuality there was/is nothing that needs to be fixed.
It was all just a smoke screen and only BigCUFan saw through it.
"That was not good, that was unacceptable, I'll take that one, that one is on me"
Can you tell us exactly what he was talking about in that qoute since you have this special Steele sixth sense ... LOL !!!!!!!!!

Just talked with him - he's thinking of quitting now that...

Sep 7, 2010, 1:46 PM

you're through with him - wants to go somewhere he's wanted.

I was praying that wouldn't happen!!!!!!!!

Sep 7, 2010, 4:03 PM

N/A

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see: wrack up impressive D stats against NTSU...

Sep 7, 2010, 1:47 PM

...or have essentially a live full-game scrimmage against a style of offense we'll see a couple more times down the road this year.

Compile some pretty game film highlights against a team we rightfully should disembowel or get some meaningful footage to work on weak points before we encounter another spread offense.

Make CU8993 happy or do something constructive with this game.

Decisions, decisions.....

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's see: wrack up impressive D stats against NTSU...

Sep 7, 2010, 2:02 PM

Agreed.

Its North Texas!! North Texas is a much improved team that should be a contender for their conference. But Tigers are much much better team and honestly i think the D played a decent game. Secondary seems to need the most work and i did not like the soft coverage against the underneath route. But why go balls to the wall and risk injury to an important player? I would like to see a little more fire in the secondary but its a Win and that's all that matters. Now the defense can diagnose their problems on film and fix those errors, including the miss tackles which are unacceptable.

One thing that bugged me was the QB sneaks that still killed us. That drove me nuts all last season and i think we need to figure out how to fix that problem because I know Newton will be looking to do that in 2 weeks time.

D-line is stout and linebackers are still a work in progress. Maye will bring experience and leadership and i am happy he has been moved to weak side because he fits that side much better. Secondary has a lot of talent and i am sure that when we are not in nickel as much, those guys will show their lock-down capability.

Dabo and the Tigers will focus on those mistakes on film and correct them. The redzone D was great and i loved that because points are the only thing that matter at the end of the day. Now its on to week 2 and getting a Win against PC. Then we move on from there. Teams that win championships build on every week and that is what we did last year and will do this year. Go Tigers!

PS: the offensive line and running backs looked stout, and i am excited to to see the tigers back to some smash mouth football.

Defensively we're experiencing a continuation of last season

Sep 7, 2010, 1:47 PM

Until Steele proves me wrong I am skeptical that he is the man for the job.

Don't give me the UT argument. Even Steele knows Derek Dooley at UT is a no win situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, there you go. I was wrong. KS [i]does[/i] suck.

Sep 7, 2010, 1:49 PM

Nah.

We can all be thankful you're not an OLB.***

Sep 7, 2010, 2:23 PM

Sep 7, 2010, 2:23 PM

People can defend the guy all they want, but Koenning was putting out a better product when he was here. I still can't shake the visions of USuCk running all over us when EVERYONE had shut down their running game last year.

Make excuses for him all you want, but my jury is still out, and shading toward a verdict.

SCU passed all over Coach Vic in 06 when he refused to

Sep 7, 2010, 2:26 PM

change his zone and not rush more than 4.

Re: SCU passed all over Coach Vic in 06 when he refused to

Sep 7, 2010, 2:30 PM

Amen and he had an attitude!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2010, 2:24 PM

Hate to but I must agree. Steele has not learned or built on last years mistakes. You have to have linebackers closer than 8-10 friggin yards or you will not stop a high school team.

Sep 7, 2010, 6:05 PM

Same coot! Different handle!

Sep 7, 2010, 2:34 PM

Wait and see what happens at Auburn. I am not worried about the defense just yet. I remember 1981 when Wofford had a pretty good day at the Valley and you know what happened that year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, and Woodrow Wilson got off to a tough start too!***

Sep 7, 2010, 2:42 PM

I take it you assume our first two games will be an accurate

Sep 7, 2010, 2:34 PM

representation of our d-packages for the remainder of the season?

I have not made that assumption.

that sounds fine. does that mean you will stay off

Sep 7, 2010, 2:43 PM

this board? or will you just whine on?

Sep 7, 2010, 3:59 PM

Good leave then. I'm sure he loses sleep over you. MORON!!!!

Sep 7, 2010, 6:16 PM

I'm sure AJ Johnson, who was in the stands watching was impressed with the use of 2 LBs.

You post this trash and then no further comment?

Sep 7, 2010, 9:34 PM

very impressive

Re: You post this trash and then no further comment?

Sep 8, 2010, 9:48 AM

I don't live on the computer like some nerds do. I just tell my opinion. If you positive guys want to stay positive after all this proof of getting embarrassed on Defense, then go ahead. You were the same people defending keeping Bowden, West, Hatfield, etc. Just because he is ours don't make him defendable. If his track record is the USC game, the two GT games, NTexas, and a host of other poorly defended games, then I think he stinks.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic