Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It wasn't Stitt and it wasn't Jennings, it was the press
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 704

It wasn't Stitt and it wasn't Jennings, it was the press

Jan 26, 2010, 9:19 PM

Purnell has got to realize the press doesn't work agianst many decent teams. We gained maybe 4 points tonight on the press. We lost at least 20. When they showed that highlight reel at the end of how to beat the press it was awful to watch. Last year when we came back to beat VT we didn't press the whole second half and out scored them by 17 points. FACE IT OP THE PRESS ISN'T WORKING EVERY TIME WE SCORE. I think the press is a good idea some of the time we score just to change it up a little bit, but not every single time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would give this post 50 points if I could.***

Jan 26, 2010, 9:23 PM

1 would be ok.***

Jan 26, 2010, 9:25 PM

The press is a great weapon, and it's fine if it's your

Jan 26, 2010, 9:32 PM

standard bread-and-butter; but it's not a substitute for good fundamental half-court offense and defense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It wasn't Stitt and it wasn't Jennings, it was the press

Jan 26, 2010, 9:33 PM

It's obvious when you turn the ball over more than your opponent.This crap doesn't work against acc foes.

My post from a couple of weeks ago...watch the Duke game...

Jan 26, 2010, 9:36 PM

...great teams DON'T rely on the press as the foundation of their defense.

The press should be used as a strategic play to:

1. Regain momentum
2. Surprise effect to pick up cheap baskets
3. Put a bad team away early

It's hard for a team to get into an offensive rhythm when they are constantly recovering from the physicality of the press and regrouping into an offensive scheme.

I do not believe that OP will ever get above the level he is at right now maintaining the press as his primary weapon.

It's pathetic.

-M

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

As I watch OP during the game, he seems to have...

Jan 26, 2010, 9:45 PM

...an expression on his face that says, "I'm h311 bent on doing this my way!"

He seems like he would be one that is open to very little criticism.

Just my perception of watching him.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

It's not the press. It's more fundamental than that. It's

Jan 26, 2010, 9:56 PM

Tanner on a fast break, 2 on 1 not pulling up and forcing the defender to take himself or the wing. No , Tanner took it all the way, on the same side as his wing man and the defender played them both and Tanner missed the layup. It's Jerai getting a pass dwon low on the left side of the paint, and instead of rolling to his right and putting it up with his left hand for a one footer off the glass, he rolls right ( I assume because he can't use his left hand, INCREDIBLE at this level) and has to make a hard 5 footer. It's Book having Andre in the corner for an easy 3 and passing the ball behind him and out of bounds. It's Tanner passing up an easy 14 footer to try to pass the ball between two defenders to a guy breaking down the lane. It's 3 guys failing to block out one BC guy in the lane, DOWN 4 LATE, and he gets the rebound and a put back. It's being down 6 with a minute left and playing defense for 19 secends before fouling , 2 POSSESIONS in a row. It's shooting 2's down 6 with 24 seconds left. Forget all the techinical stuff I don't have a clue about, this is basic sommon sense to anyone that has played any organized ball whatsoever.

nice post. good points***

Jan 26, 2010, 10:01 PM

The press worked fine when we beat BC at home

Jan 26, 2010, 10:33 PM

When you shoot a putrid 30 something percent in 1st half and you have absolutely zero 3 point threat other than a 5'9" guard... you are in big ### trouble, press or no press.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 704
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic