Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fire Barker
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1,238

Fire Barker

Jun 9, 2009, 6:38 PM

due to costs this coming year i will not be able to continue my studies at Clemson, i am not willing to take out that much money in student loans. starting in august i will be heading to basic training for the Air Force and if i am lucky i will be able to finish school after my 4 years and hopefully at clemson. But back to barker being fired. he has sacrificed what makes clemson special in his pursuit to be a "top 20" school. instead of making clemson top 20 on a magazine by manipulating numbers lets work on working on things that actually help.

Fire Barker,
Bradley

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I fear I will be paying student loans for the rest of my

Jun 9, 2009, 6:40 PM

life and I don't even start until the fall

:(

Best of luck, my friend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah, Repayment for student loans is 10 years.

Jun 11, 2009, 1:49 AM

That cap is federally mandated.

Have you talked to the Air Force or Amry ROTC

Jun 9, 2009, 7:03 PM

guys at Clemson first. They might be able to pay for your school and then give them 4 or 6 years after. Better life style too as an officer.

yes i have and that is not an option for me

Jun 9, 2009, 7:32 PM

nm

links: options

Jun 9, 2009, 7:06 PM

http://business.clemson.edu/Aerospac/index.html

http://business.clemson.edu/Armyrotc/

I see your point, but Barker isn't as much to blame for

Jun 9, 2009, 7:11 PM

tuition increases as that ####### ####### Mark Sanfor is. He's trying soooo hard to position himself for bigger things in the GOP that he's throwing SC and our higher ed budget (among other things) under the bus.

Re: I see your point, but Barker isn't as much to blame for

Jun 9, 2009, 7:11 PM

*Sanford

unfortunately, southern schools have lagged behind for years

Jun 9, 2009, 7:58 PM [ in reply to I see your point, but Barker isn't as much to blame for ]

and our state economies have paid the price. quality education is expensive but it directly impacts the economies of the surrounding areas (i.e. Boston). Barker is a visionary who is leading Clemson in the absolute right direction, something no other president has understood how to do.

Do his supposed underhanded tactics not bother you?***

Jun 9, 2009, 8:09 PM

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

Key word "supposed"

Jun 9, 2009, 11:08 PM

I'll start out with I like Top 20 as a goal - but not as a driving force. Why shouldn't Clemson be Top 20 in EVERYTHING it does.

Enough with the "supposed" underhanded tactics. If you have proof - show it. If you don't - go find some.

Did you read today's front page of the Greenville News?

Just about retracted everything that was said by another disgruntled employee. Pres. Barker and Dr. Helms's surveys were partially disclosed and showed nothing I was embarrassed about. And, the original source now claims to be misquoted. Imagine that.

I plan to continue to support our University as best I can by asking questions, listening to educated opinions, making my thoughts known, AND by leaving the supposing to those attempting to tear us down.

proof? It was on the internet... that is proof enough.***

Jun 10, 2009, 7:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Not sure Barker is quite the visionary that you believe him

Jun 9, 2009, 8:10 PM [ in reply to unfortunately, southern schools have lagged behind for years ]

to be. The only reason he is pushing the top 20 thing is because that is what the Board of Trustees wants him to do. I'm sure he's motivated by the almighty dollar just like the rest of us. If Clemson finally gets a top 20 ranking, I'll be very interested to see the bonus he gets from the university that year.

What Rock do you live under?

Jun 9, 2009, 9:16 PM [ in reply to unfortunately, southern schools have lagged behind for years ]

Barker has tried to position Clemson as Top 20, but neglected to look at the costs associated with that aspiration. If he were in private business, the Top 20 Goal would be the same as a Sales Goal; however, that would be balanced with a low cost production goal ( Tuition Cost). Where does Clemson rank as far as Value for Education? Certainly not Top 20 by any evaluation. Clemson lacks the Financial wherewithal (Endowment) to compete with the elite educational institutions. How much has Barker increased the Endowment since his crusade has begun? Without a large Endowment, how are you to give scholarships to attract the elite students? The Ivy League Schools are giving away scholarships to attract top student. Can Clemson? I dare say no.
What is the answer? Return to our roots...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ever heard of Smart Money Magazine? Probably not...

Jun 9, 2009, 10:53 PM

Lists Clemson as #8 in Return on Investment among Public Schools.

I wuz gon' say.

Jun 10, 2009, 11:32 AM

Seems like we usually rank higher for value than we do overall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take a history lesson before jumping on the popular

Jun 9, 2009, 9:20 PM [ in reply to I see your point, but Barker isn't as much to blame for ]

"Mark Sanford killed everything in South Caorlina" bandwagon.

The legislature, which controls this state, has NEVER, EVER provided adequate funds for higher education in this state with some small exceptions in Columbia. And what little is allocated to higher education is spread so thinly across the state to 30-something colleges and universities that it dilutes the pot even further. If you substitute roads, K-12 education, prisons, and just about anything else of substantial impact to the state for higher education, you'll be speaking the same sad, truthful paragraph.

So before you blame everything on Sanford, remember, Glen McConnell, Hugh Leatherman, Bobby Harrell, etc., have been in the Legislature for DECADES. Sanford has been the governor of South Carolina (which controls effectively 20% of government) for 6 years.

Re: Take a history lesson before jumping on the popular

Jun 10, 2009, 7:23 AM

That's a good point. Sanford AND the corrupt, good-ol-boy, worthless legislature are to blame. Can't disagree there.

you mean Mark "You should go Private" Scamford...

Jun 10, 2009, 7:41 AM [ in reply to Take a history lesson before jumping on the popular ]

yeah.. Scamford is a Clemson ######.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

a clemson ######?***

Jun 10, 2009, 8:16 AM

And Sanford makes all these guys look SMART!

Jun 10, 2009, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Take a history lesson before jumping on the popular ]

It is true that the cult of ignorance in SC has historically underfunded education, to our continual economic detriment. But no governor in modern times has been so deliberately anti-education on all levels. Fact is, some of these conservative leaders in the legislature have been very receptive lately to investing in higher education, research especially, the one thing that has a real chance of helping our economy. Sanford has fought every single effort in that regard. He thinks little of the state he governs, and the people he's pledged to serve. He thinks all we're good for is wiping old people's behinds.

Re: And Sanford makes all these guys look SMART!

Jun 10, 2009, 7:58 PM

Investing in higher education, especially research? You mean like Innovista in Columbia that is overbudget, past expected completion date, and can't find any private investors?

Or how about all the tax dollars Barker and the Legislature has sunk into restoring the Hunley. Yeah, that was worth my tax dollars for resarch.

Do you remember the first MAJOR tuition hike at Clemson? It came around 2000-2002 - pre-Mark Sanford. Coincidentally, that was the last time we had a major budget crisis in this state and the legislature decided to cut education before festivals and special purpose districts.

I didn't write to defend Sanford. I wrote to wake people up that the Legislature is the problem - they're just using Sanford as a scapegoat right now. Leatherman, McConnell, Harrell, and Cooper have been here before Sanford, during Sanford, and they'll be here after Sanford and you will still see nothing change in this state as long as the Legislature rules it. They're just slick enough to keep passing the blame. My only hope is that Sanford has harped long enough about changing the structure of government that they'll do it with the next governor just to give a parting slap to Sanford. These legislators are just that childish and stupid to do it.

"This" Clemson doesn't support the mission of this state....

Jun 9, 2009, 10:26 PM [ in reply to I see your point, but Barker isn't as much to blame for ]

in my opinion... until the powers to be at Clemson realize they it is a public institution in a poor, rural state and begins to serve their taxpaying constituents, they should shut up about the lack of funding IMO.

there's already a POS school in this state where you

Jun 10, 2009, 7:18 AM

get handed a degree.

And it's much more centrally located than we are!

Jun 10, 2009, 11:43 AM

So it's got that going for it. Which is nice.

That is exactly the opposite of the truth.

Jun 10, 2009, 11:41 AM [ in reply to "This" Clemson doesn't support the mission of this state.... ]

The ONLY thing that has a chance of bringing SC's economy into the 21st Century is major research universities, bringing reseach dollars and the industries that follow them. It's been proven all over the country, and has even been proven here, when allowed to exist.
Clemson University is without a doubt the single most valuable asset the people of SC own, and the only way to properly use that asset is to fund it and let it do it's job.

Re: I see it's not Barker of Samford it;s the State Legislat

Jun 9, 2009, 10:28 PM [ in reply to I see your point, but Barker isn't as much to blame for ]

It's not Barker or Samford it's the State Legislature. The SC Supreme Court just made it clear that the Legislature not the Govenor is responsible for spending

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Don't get me started. Sanford is only looking out for the

Jun 10, 2009, 5:15 PM [ in reply to I see your point, but Barker isn't as much to blame for ]

taxpayers of SC. You can blame your legislators for not being able to maintain a budget. Federal moneys will be repaid. I hope you're preapred for the bill.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: Don't get me started. Sanford is only looking out for the

Jun 11, 2009, 12:48 AM

I was not blaming Samford I was blaming the legislature
Please reread my responce. Even the SC Supreme Court says its the Legislature to blame

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Re: Fire Barker

Jun 9, 2009, 9:59 PM

Good luck with your Air Force service. If you're fortunate enough to be stationed near a university, you may be able to take courses and take care of a few semesters before getting discharged. That was my intent when I enlisted in '67 thinking I would be assigned in Texas, but was sent to Berlin for three years. Had an AA degree, but there were few classes offered at the University of Maryland's extension there above sophomore level.

If you have a chance and don't mind some potential overseas assignments, try for the AF ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance) Agency, formerly AF Security Service. That's what got me to Berlin. Also, there would be a potential for language school (which used to be done at Indiana and Syracuse Universities) in addition to other training that may last about 12 months total.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Re: Fire Barker

Jun 9, 2009, 10:18 PM

Don't get discouraged by the fact that you won't finish college in 4 straight years . I left Clemson after 3 years and was in the military too. Didn't return to college for 5 years with the government paying for everything , including a Masters degree . These massive student loans would have scared me too . Good luck!!

Thank you

Jun 9, 2009, 10:19 PM

encouraging words

Quite welcome I have a son older than you are now...

Jun 9, 2009, 10:26 PM

and would have encouraged him to do the same under the circumstances of today's economy. Starting a career 4 years later than planned will not hurt as much as dealing with a large debt. I still "retired" before age 60 and have never missed anything major because of it .

Re: Quite welcome I have a son older than you are now...

Jun 9, 2009, 10:52 PM

Clover good advice. I feel sorry for graduates entering the workplace in this economy. I hope the Military pays the balance of his bachelor degree and his masters. I have a nephew and a niece in the Airforce and they have been treated well

I regret he feels Barker is to blame. If the State legislature funded more to Clemson and USC tuition's would not have to increase as much. He must realize that going into the highly competitive workforce that will exist for many years to come a Clemson degree will be more highly respected than others and that may be the difference in a job opportunity or a promotion. I live in Florida and have a rising sr at Clemson and it has far more respect today than when I graduated in 73.

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Re: Quite welcome I have a son older than you are now...

Jun 9, 2009, 10:59 PM

The Barker thing is one I don't really want to get into a discussion about . You are right about the funding level coming from the legislature and likely will get worse as less tax money comes in due to unemployment. The more people out of work also means more money goes to help them . Nothing will help a young person better than doing what it takes to get a degree that improves their career chances .

I did 3 years in the Army and left Clemson with zero student

Jun 10, 2009, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Thank you ]

loans. Best of luck. The experience is worth every minute and you'll get paid back 10 fold.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

so barker made you join the military? lol***

Jun 9, 2009, 10:33 PM

Barker is not sitting in Columbia cutting higher ed funding

Jun 10, 2009, 7:22 AM

annually. Your aim needs to be re-directed south and east.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Lol. This is getting ridiculous. I do wish you well in the

Jun 10, 2009, 8:55 AM

air force, though.

null

Fire the Legislature, you mean.***

Jun 10, 2009, 11:12 AM

Fire the Legislature, you mean.***

Jun 10, 2009, 11:13 AM

How much are your costs increasing this year, compared to

Jun 10, 2009, 1:35 PM

last year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How much are your costs increasing this year, compared to

Jun 11, 2009, 1:03 AM

Ah you are headed down a path that is most upsetting and it is not ONLY Clemson. Compared to the rate of inflation of other goods and services College tuition far exceeds gas and oil and other increases. Maybe medical expenses and medical insurance are the only area of a families expenses that compare to the rate of increae as the cost of education. If it continues you will find people going to work for companies that provide educational benefits and make you an indentured servant for the investment they say they made in you. It will be no different than the medical insurance provided by an employer. Always remember the one of the largest employers in every town or city is the school system. One of americas largest bureaucracies that manage to pay itself first. Only wish the money made it to the classroom. Yes costs because of tenure and similar government regulations are out of control in education.

Message was edited by: CUTIGERTIM®

Message was edited by: CUTIGERTIM®

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Tuition is expected to go up >7% this year.

Jun 11, 2009, 1:47 AM [ in reply to How much are your costs increasing this year, compared to ]

Double digits are likely.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1,238
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic