Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Freeman makes most of opportunity
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,077

Freeman makes most of opportunity

Apr 1, 2009, 4:16 PM

If this has been posted, sorry to do it again. Thought I would share.

CLEMSON — It was just a small crack in the door, but freshman Dalton Freeman saw it and ran though it as fast as he could before it closed.

Of course that door is the center position on Clemson’s football team and with first-team center Mason Cloy missing part of last Saturday’s scrimmage due to an academic conflict, Freeman, a freshman from Pelion, jumped at the opportunity to work with the first team.

“That was good for him,” Clemson offensive coordinator Billy Napier said.

It didn’t hurt that Freeman was productive either. The offense didn't miss a beat with Cloy out as the offensive line led the way for a 200-yard day from the Clemson running backs.

“It was a wonderful opportunity for me to let my presence be felt in there and show them I can be a one and not just a two,” Freeman said. “Looking back at the film, I played pretty well. I still have a lot of work to do and a lot of that will come with experience, but right now I feel pretty good about competing for the starting job.”

And that should make a lot of Clemson fans feel better. One of the things head coach Dabo Swinney preached about last week was finding a second-team center. He said that was a position that caused them a lot of issues last year and took almost three-quarters of the season to get a handle on.

He said one of the team’s goals this spring was to make sure they first had two reliable players that could play the center position without a drop off and then have two guys waiting in the wings in case of an emergency.

“I don’t want what happened last year to us at center to ever happen again,” Swinney said.

Left guard Thomas Austin and right guard Barry Humphries will likely be the emergency center, especially after Freeman proved last Saturday he can be a reliable option as a starter or as a backup.

“Dalton is a smart youngster and understands the game a little bit,” guards and center coach Brad Scott said.

That’s because Freeman is the son of the one the top high school football coaches in the state of South Carolina – Pelion High School’s Ben Freeman. The Panthers' multiple offense, which is run by the elder Freeman, is very similar to what Clemson runs, including the current blocking schemes.

“We did a little bit of everything [in high school],” Dalton Freeman said. “We spread it out and we run it in the I-(formation). We did a little bit of everything… Anytime you go from high school to college, there is going to be a little bit of a difference, but I think my Dad, he was my offensive coordinator, did a little bit of mixing it up and we did a little bit of everything.

“I was well-rounded when I got here.”

The only thing Freeman had to adjust to last year was being in the two-point stance instead of the three.

“When I first got here it was a little different and it was starting to grow on me, but at the same time we got blown off the ball a lot and that was because we could not have our weight forward,” Freeman said. “That was kind of a Coach (Rob) Spence thing because we were very zone oriented.

“Now we are lining up and we are hitting the defense in the mouth. It felt like it gave us a lot more advantage because our weight was forward and we could just go straight off the ball.”

The Tigers started incorporating the three-point stance back in its blocking schemes when Swinney became the interim coach and started calling the plays last October. As a result, the team showed some improvement in the running game, but it was hard to change everything up halfway into the season.

Now Clemson is almost exclusively in the three-point stance and Freeman says he can already tell what a difference it is making in the running game and in everyone’s attitude.

“Everything is starting to click,” he said. “We really took it personal that the weak link on our team last year was the offensive line. I think a lot of that was due to inexperience because we had like three or four guys that had never played a college snap.

“This year we feel like we have the advantage. They played a lot last year and we have four returning starters and we feel like we have the advantage and we feel like we will be a better team just because of that experience.”

As for Freeman, his experiences are growing with every snap, even if it is just on the practice fields.

“Dalton has great leverage with long arms,” Scott said. “He gets down on himself a little bit so he has to learn that you are not going to be successful at this level on every snap. He is still learning.

“He does compete well against some of our veteran players and he can be a guard if we need him to be, but he is going to be a very good center for us and we need to start training a good freshman right now and I think Dalton is going to be our guy.”

He was that guy on Saturday.

“I graded fairly well. I have a lot of work to do, but I did a lot of things well,” Freeman said. “A lot of it I missed wasn’t because I didn’t get my block down. It was because of sloppy technique or something like that.”

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Freeman makes most of opportunity

Apr 1, 2009, 4:33 PM

It'll be great if the o-line gets a mean streak. With the running of CJ and Jamie Harper. I can't wait for the season to start! GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know QB-WR-SAFTEY concern many but its the..

Apr 1, 2009, 4:53 PM

O-line I'm concerned with....I thought they took a step backwards after the cooter game...Let's hope with the addition of Pearman and some differant schemes the O-line will be much improved.

yep I like this firing off the ball & hitting folks in the.

Apr 1, 2009, 5:46 PM

...mouth. Granted it is just us so far but sounds much more agressive that the Spence two point read and react stuff. Hope we will be a little stronger up front this year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites.

Apr 1, 2009, 4:40 PM

You may not have known that this was from the Scout site, but it is an "insider" piece for paying customers. Not really cool to the publishers to post their stuff over here for free. Quite lame.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LoL***

Apr 1, 2009, 4:45 PM

I payed my point...

Apr 1, 2009, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites. ]

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pirating data on the Internet...well I never...***

Apr 1, 2009, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites. ]

Who knew Roy was on TigerNet***

Apr 1, 2009, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites. ]

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

you are lame. are you gonna go tell on us or somethin?***

Apr 1, 2009, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites. ]

Lol, you are pretty lame.

Apr 1, 2009, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites. ]

As long as you aren't the one doing it, then you have nothing to worry about.

no, lame is complaining about it.....narc***

Apr 1, 2009, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should turn yourself in for reading it***

Apr 1, 2009, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Shouldn't post pay articles from other sites. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought Matt Sanders was going to be a center

Apr 1, 2009, 5:14 PM

Did it not work out or is he better suited at guard?

I thought Matt Sanders played third base...

Apr 1, 2009, 5:16 PM

Oh, different Matt Sanders. Never mind.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,077
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic