Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thursday's Game: Clemson at VTech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,303

Thursday's Game: Clemson at VTech

Jan 27, 2009, 10:03 AM

I know this will get buried amid the Tajh Boyd reports, but I've got to work this afternoon, so....

Who: Clemson (17-2, 3-2 ACC, No. 12 AP) at Virginia Tech (14-5, 4-1 ACC, unranked)
When: Thursday, 7 p.m., at Cassell Auditorium
Is it on TV? On one of the ESPNs
The spread: Not released yet. Pomeroy likes Clemson by 2.5
Last time we met: Demontez Stitt hit two free throws with 3.8 seconds left to lift No. 24 Clemson past Virginia Tech 70-69 in Littlejohn.
Record against common foes: VTech 2-0, Clemson 1-1 vs. Wake and Miami.

Dang! VTech beat Wake? How'd they do that? By letting Wake play its most appalling game of the year. The Hokies weren't world-beaters that night, but Wake was Gawd-awful. Two starters fouled out and the Deacs shot fewer FTs as a team than Teague did against Clemson alone.

And how about Miami? VTech beat Miami much the same way we did: good perimeter shooting and free throws. I note we beat Miami by considerably more and didn't need OT to win.

Don't the Hokies always do this? Start slow, beat someone big and finish in the top half of the league? Sure seems that way. And no matter how you slice it, a 4-1 start in the league with 2 road wins is impressive.

The Hokies have been awful (losing to JawJaw and Seton Hall, barely beating an awful Virginia team) and they've been solid (beating Wake, Miami and giving Xavier fits). Much of their fortune or misfortune can be traced to the team's makeup.

VTech is a three-trick pony. When all three ponies are prancing, the Hokies can be a real problem. If one or more are having an off game, they really have no option.

Hold your horses, Hokies!

For example, against Wake and Miami, the Big 3 all played solid games. In a rout by Duke, only one had a decent game. If Clemson wants to get a win on the road, the Tigers need to contain at least one, and probably two of VTech's horses.

Vassallo stylin'

Who are these horses? First is senior guard A.D. Vassallo (18 ppg, 6 reb, 3 ast) Seems he's been around forever, doesn't it? Vassallo is a tough KC Rivers-type guard who's not afraid to pound inside, then shoot the 3 the next time down. He's slower than Teague or Lawson, but agile for a 6-6 fellow. He's a decent 3-point shooter, good at the line and a decent ballhandler.

No, no! Not Dana Delaney!

Their second threat is sophomore guard Malcolm Delaney (17 ppg, 4 reb, 4 ast)A good matchup for Demontez Stitt in size but a little slower. He's been a constant second option for the Hokies and was named ACC player of the week for his career game against Miami. He's more of a wing player, though only a modest threat behind the arc. Usually he ends up open off a screen for a quick jumper.

I don't know why, but Google "Jeff Allen" and you get this...

Finally, their inside threat is a bruising Booker-esque forward named Jeff Allen (14 ppg 8 reb, 2 blk). He's aggressive on the boards, gets a lot of garbage points, but fouls ... a lot. He's fouled out three time this year and reached 4 fouls six times. But he held his own against Wake and Miami's big guys, so don't write him off.

Who else should we look for? Good question. After those three, the Hokies fall into a hole. No players average more than 5 points or 4 rebounds. Forward JT Thompson is coming along after missing the first 10 games, and guard Hank Thorns has been doing a nice job in relief as a true point guard.

But I don't think I've ever seen a team so absolutely locked into 3 players to the detriment of everyone else. Those three take 80 percent of the team shots, touch more than 80 percent of the team's passes, and are on the floor together about 82 percent of the time. That's a lot of minutes, and a lot of chemistry to overcome.

In contrast, no one from Clemson has more than 25 percent of the team shots and no one has 30 minutes per game. This will truly be a team vs. a trio in Blackburg.

How do we match up? Let's see ... Vassallo averages 18 points per game but plays 38 minutes per minute. KC Rivers (14 ppg, 6 reb, 2 st, 2 ast) plays about 10 minutes less per game. Delaney averages 17 ppg playing 36 minutes per game. Terrence Oglesby (14 ppg) plays 10 minutes less. Allen scores 14 ppg in 33 minutes, and Trevor Booker (14 ppg, 9 reb, 2 blk) plays about 5 minutes less.

Get the general drift? When you factor in Clemson's non-stop pressure and VTech penchant for turnovers (18 per game) you're looking at what should be a leg-weary trio by late in the game.

Now, factor in whoever the heck else VTech has against a deeper, more productive bench for Clemson. Factor in Ray Sykes (8 ppg, 6 reb) and Jerai Grant (6 ppg, 4 reb) who are both taller than anyone VTech has on the floor for any length of time. Factor in that Clemson's point guards Demontez Stitt and Andre Young, don't have to score and can devote themselves to defense, and you've got an opponent Clemson matches up very well against.

VTech is athletic, but shallow. Clemson is athletic and deep. The Hokies generally play a more passive defense, saving their threesome's energy for offense. Clemson goes all out on defense sapping opponents of energy late in the game.

THIS is the sort of opponent OP's defense was made for. It may be tough going early on, especially since the Hokies are planning one of those dreaded "blackout" games.

"Dang, TO...I think YOU could dunk on these guys!"

But for the first time since East Carolina, Clemson has a clear edge on the boards. And opponents who can hit the 3 consistently (like Duke) can shred the Hokies outside. Park TO out there, force Delaney or one of the faceless Hokie defenders on him and let Stitt begin slashing.

You don't think much of the Hokies, do you? Actually, I respect their guard play. Vassallo and Delany are a great tandem, and if we don't disrupt their flow, it's going to be a long night.

But I have faith that our bigs will relish the opportunity to take over a game. And after seeing Stitt and TO in the second half against GTech, I believe we're ready to exploit the weaknesses VTech's defense will offer.

If VTech will help us out with some ill-timed fouls inside, this could be another Miami road win. If the hokies and their blackout rattle us early, we could well have to fight out of a hole.

But we've got more than 3 horses to pull the wagon. If we play smart and disrupt their flow, Clemson should walk out with a win.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great preview, liked that Dana Delaney picture too***

Jan 27, 2009, 10:13 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Made me go Google more pics of her***

Jan 27, 2009, 10:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be an orange speck in the black sea student section***

Jan 27, 2009, 10:14 AM

Great Post. Very Detailed. Point for you

Jan 27, 2009, 10:17 AM

I did Google Jeff Allen and I to go a few pages to find that pic you used but that is quite hilarious.

Good post as always rev... I think thursday's game suddenly

Jan 27, 2009, 10:17 AM

becomes one of our most important games of the year. Its one of those swing games that can be really good or really bad. If we win, we have suddenly silenced the critics that were on our tails after losing 2 in a row. Also, it would be a huge ROAD win which is crucial and valuable in the acc. It would also get us to 4-2 and sitting pretty in the top 3rd of the league. Lastly, it would build some nice momentum with the off week leading up to the showdown at the john with the dukies.
A loss sinks us to 3-3 in the league and the boo birds/fairweather fans/national media starts jumping our case and makes their argument that this is the "same old clemson" It would also put a bad taste in our mouths with a long time to wait playing the #1 devils.

I know that every game is a big game, but this one is HUGE!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

please don't call it the john***

Jan 27, 2009, 10:18 AM

sorry dude, i had a class coming in so i was hurrying!***

Jan 27, 2009, 10:24 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Rev! More education for a layman BBall fan! point***

Jan 27, 2009, 10:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep in mind Rev....if you ever decide to retire from snake

Jan 27, 2009, 10:44 AM

handling, the future looks pretty rosy for you in BB analysis

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i bet wake was even more confident, though..

Jan 27, 2009, 11:26 AM

no disrespect, parson..appreciate and enjoyed the analysis..but these guys beat wake and we are not playing particularly well at any position, or as a team..booker moseys downcourt like he doesn't care..i'm beginning to think we have some chemistry issues..unless we play better than we have recently, i see an l thursday nite.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

I'd love to get some action going with you on that one!

Jan 27, 2009, 11:31 AM

Tigers will roll and cover whatever the spread winds up being with room enough for two or three more spreads thrown in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

No offense taken. I appreciate reasoned disagreement

Jan 27, 2009, 1:53 PM [ in reply to i bet wake was even more confident, though.. ]

I will also note the Wake that VTech beat would have lost by at least 5 to Clemson. Flat as fritters, half-hearted perimeter defense, and a step slower (as the two starters fouling out will attest.

I really hope VTech looks at how they beat Wake and think they're gonna roll us.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, jack...

Jan 27, 2009, 2:29 PM [ in reply to i bet wake was even more confident, though.. ]

I noticed some lethargy in Booker too, but he didn't look carefree. He looked tired. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. A lot of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These previews are Tigernet at its best. Great work, Rev!!!***

Jan 27, 2009, 12:14 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,303
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic