Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this THE year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1,375

Is this THE year?

May 31, 2008, 12:09 AM

Tiger Fans,

Hope all is well. It's been at least a football season since I've posted anything over here, but I thought I would address the topic and questions that all of you are drooling about during "Dark Territory"....

Is the year that Clemson shows that it's BACK?
Is this the year that "we're this close" actually for once turns in to 'DESTINATION TAMPA'!
Is this the year that Tommy Bowden FINALLY silences the critics? When adversity strikes this Clemson team will they "FINISH THE JOB"?
Can we think about not just ACC Championships, but look to be a TRUE contender to play in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?

From the ROARS that are coming out of CLEMSON nation this is a resounding "YES!"....

But, call me a skeptic.

A little less than two years ago I attended what was one of the loudest games I've ever been to in the Saturday Night showdown against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Clemson literally WRECKED the Top 15 Ramblin' Wreck that night. Your boys were clicking on all cyllinders!

And then it started...Herbstreit proclaimed "Clemson might be playing the best football of any team in the country!"...My best friend who is a die-hard Clemson fan who represents the best ideals of Thomas Greene Clemson(I refer to him as the "Kool-Aid" man for his up-beat attitude regarding Clemson athletics) proclaimed it's not IF we'll win in Blacksburg, but by how much! And with that cockiness and satisfaction, it seemed that "Fat and Happy" Clemson was just satisfied with being this "close" as they ended up getting hammered and Blacksburg and then upset by Maryland and South Carolina!

Fast forward to 2007, Clemson coming off a "big" win against a depleted FSU takes this same "4-0"! FAT and HAPPY attitude into Atlanta, GA and gets disposed of "sledgehammer-style" by Tashard Choice and Georgia Tech. Clemson follows that up with a stinker against VT. And then tries to right the ship...

Now, I'll give you guys credit, after GT and VT the team seemed to rebound and carry a blue-collar attitude prior to top-rated Boston College coming to town. And the fans and team gets riled up again! Bracelets printed with "Finish the Job" are made up and given out to the team and the masses! People start believing, Herbstreit's believing! The Kool-Aid man is screaming "OH YEAHHHH! We're JACKSONVILLE bound!"

I think all of you know "the rest of the story".

FAT and HAPPY Clemson was the culprit again, and there definitely seems to be a lack of finishing the drill...err job at Clemson. And you're this "close"...As Tommy Bowden has mentioned oh so many times!

So, here we are in 2008....Kool-Aid Man is telling me that "Clemson will win the ACC", but will probably "find a way" to lose a game. 10-2 seems to be his worst prognosis. Clemson KOOL-AID is flowing to EPIC proportions this offseason as magazines are boldly predicting ACC Championships and Top 5-10 finishes!

From a talent perspective - Quarterback? LOOKING GOOD! Running Backs? Best tandem in the country. Period. Receivers? Solid, with one of the best kept secrets in college football in Jacoby Ford and Aaron Kelly is solid. Offensive Line? A BIG unknown, but we'll see! Defensive Line - NASTY! Linebackers - MEAN! And the Secondary is LEGIT! And even after everything that I've said above, could this be the Clemson team that delivers an ACC Championship for the first time in 17 years?

No.

I'm sorry, but I just think that Clemson is too satisfied and stuck in this "close"/"Fat and Happy" mode to get over the hump. I have a feeling that Clemson will play with a "we deserve this" mentality for the 2008 season. There just seems to be a disconnect with "getting it done" in blue-collar fashion at Clemson under Bowden. Subconsciously, most of the Clemson fanbase knows this and probably would admit it behind closed-quarters - but there is a definitely a problem at the top. My belief is that the only time that Bowden really produces is when there is absolutely dire circumstances.

My advice to Clemson nation is make this the "put-up or shut-up" year. Personally, I don't think Tommy will ever win an ACC championship. But, the majority of Clemson nation seems to be saying that "not even Tommy can screw this up."

Am I wrong? Will Clemson play with a blue-collar attitude in 2008 or will "Fat and Happy" Clemson show up?

I'll try to be there at the game when the upstart Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets take on big-bad Clemson in late October. It could be a rough year for us, but I know we'll carry that blue-collar attitude that Paul Johnson will bring to Georgia Tech from the Naval Academy. To be honest, I think most of us know that GT made the tough choice that Clemson should have made last Winter.

Good luck in 2008!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear GaTech men LOVE their women fat and happy

May 31, 2008, 12:20 AM

:)

"I think most of us know that GT made the tough choice..."

May 31, 2008, 12:25 AM

"that Clemson should have made last Winter."

Snow tires? In Atlanta?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair critique

May 31, 2008, 12:53 AM

Though I believe you last line is wrong since there is no consensus among Tiger fans that we should've done away with Bowden after last year.

That said, it is time for the improvements in the program that Bowden has show to come to fruition. An argument can clearly be made that we under achieved the past few years, but from a different light we can see that the talent level is continuing to rise at Clemson. Just as Bowden gets (fairly) criticism for the program falling short of the goals in terms of wins and losses, he also (rightly) deserves credit for improving the talent level to a point where it hasn't been in almost 20 years.

The time *is* now for the wins to come. Make no mistake many of us will be sorely disappointed if we don't get it done on the field this years.

But that said, Bowden is here for the next few years barring some massive collapse or scandal. We reviewed the options as a program and I can see the arguments against the course we've taken, but I think it we've opted to place weight in stability and it will be interesting to see if it was the right choice.

For now it appears to be, but time will tell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Especially from the Indelible Inked-in participant

May 31, 2008, 8:50 AM

in The Humiliation Bowl and one of the few teams yet to beat Florida State since their entry into the ACC.

Date Opponent (record) Result Score Site
9/13/2003 @ *Florida State (10-3) L 13-14
11/9/2002 vs. *Florida State (9-5) L 13-21
12/1/2001 @ *Florida State (8-4) L 17-28
9/9/2000 vs. *Florida State (11-2) L 21-26
9/11/1999 @ *Florida State (12-0) L 35-41
10/24/1998 vs. *Florida State (11-2) L 7-34
10/18/1997 @ *Florida State (11-1) L 0-38
11/2/1996 vs. *Florida State (11-1) L 3-49
10/21/1995 @ *Florida State (10-2) L 10-42
11/5/1994 vs. *Florida State (10-1-1) L 10-41
10/2/1993 @ *Florida State (12-1) L 0-51
10/17/1992 vs. *Florida State (11-1) L 24-29

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Nice post. The answer to your question is maybe.

May 31, 2008, 1:18 AM

A football season is three months and a bowl game long. This team could accomplish quite a lot if it sidesteps crucial injuries and Ron Cherry, plays one game at a time and stays focused.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have seen the future, and it is Clemson.

you been to Lane Packing Co.?***

May 31, 2008, 1:24 AM

Yes, we as fans will "put up or shut up"

May 31, 2008, 1:27 AM

since we have so much control over what our team does.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yeah, and if we had made that "tough choice" I doubt we

May 31, 2008, 1:29 AM

would have the recruiting class we had last year or the top 5 class we are pulling in this year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I look at it differently . . .

May 31, 2008, 4:46 AM

In my opinion, Clemson over achieved when it won a few games it probably shouldn't have with the talent that we have had at our disposal i.e. GT two years ago. Conversely, it should have come as no real surprize that we got our rears handed to us that Thursday night in Blacksburg.

If Clemson does not have the season that some are expecting this year, I think it will be because of a young offensive line and inexperienced linebackers instead of a choke job.

The bottom line for me is that the pieces are coming together and the program is certainly heading in the right direction. Further, its being achieved in the right way.

Although this has come much more slowly than any of us anticipated or hoped for, it is happening.

Just my perspective.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, one thing is certain. Expectations are really high. I

May 31, 2008, 7:14 AM

think a lot of fans are overlooking the inexerience along the offensive line and at linebacker. Your point relates to attitude, and I agree that attitude is the one thing we've been lacking.

You make a great point and this is my only fear this season.

May 31, 2008, 7:37 AM

"I have a feeling that Clemson will play with a 'we deserve this' mentality for the 2008 season." I fear that you may be right in this estimation.

I've been on a college team where players have taken this mentality and despite our talent; we lost many games we shouldn't have because key players thought our opponents were supposed to roll over and let us win. That just doesn't happen in football no matter where you were ranked preseason or last season.

If the football team takes a business like approach every week and plays confident instead of cocky; this will be the year. Hopefully our Seniors know and spread the message that they have to earn a championship on the field week by week.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Post needs to be on locker room wall and you're right,

May 31, 2008, 7:55 AM

we should be playing with a "we ain't done nothin' yet" attitude!!

Here's to anything is possible and snap the dang ball!!

Go Tigers!!

OK now it is MY turn....

May 31, 2008, 8:25 AM

As far as our past is concerned there have been let down games. BC this past year stung. Stung real bad. But we got beat by a team with a GREAT qb. Not only was he great he played about as well as he could play on that given day.
When you backed up to us beating your Jackets that Saturday night a couple of years back it was a great night for us. We did all things right, you did little right. We weren't that good, you weren't that bad. We also had NO time to prepare for VT the following Thursday night. We were on fumes and it showed. Again, we were not as bad as it turned out.
What we have done, is continue to up our talent level seemingly every year. It seems that position by position we have added talent AND quality depth. While the critics around us assess us and our team I would say that collectively Tiger Nation is now the one (along with our team) saying "wait and see". I say this, by the way, NOT for just this upcoming season but for many to come. I think that in the back of our competitiors minds THEY secretly are saying "d@mn if these boys put it all together THIS year look out". I think they also see that an end to what could be started this year may not be in sight for a long LONG time.
As for your Jackets we will just have to see. I for one think that bringing the option attack to the table is a HUGE mistake. H3ll, if Nebraska ditched it why would anyone else even try? But good luck to you on the season and hold onto those thoughts and hopes of how you see us.....I think you will need it.

Re: Is this THE year?

May 31, 2008, 8:40 AM

Nice article. Some of what you say is true but I believe clemson football will have a diffrent attitude this year. You see the focus this year is on the team not on the coach. If they flop it will be from a mental lapse not from a physical our playing lapse. I believe clemson will be 10-2, 9-3 would be disappointing, with a possibilty to be 11-1 egular season. I do not believe no one in the Clemson nation is FAT and Happy we all want more but sometimes circumstances prevent that. Now some are avoidable and some are not. This years GT vs Clemson game will be interesting to say the least but I believe ther are only 3 games that will be breakers- Alabama,Florida State, and Wake Forrest. So with that said lets see what the season has to offer at the end.

Not sure if a blue collar attitude is the issue, I have had

May 31, 2008, 8:51 AM

a feeling that the team as a whole in general has lacked physicality. A few exceptions to the rule on the defensive side.

At times, this lack of physicality has cost the team a few close games.

You are entitled to your incorrect opinion.***

May 31, 2008, 9:14 AM

Some decent points, but I almost entirely disagree....

May 31, 2008, 10:23 AM

You certainly have a right to be a 'skeptic', but in my opinion there are a couple of BIG blunders you made with your skepticism.

it seemed that "Fat and Happy" Clemson was just satisfied with being this "close"

This is a bizarre statement. I know of no one that at any point adopted a "fat and happy" attitude. Not once in Tommy's tenure has anyone that I know been so satisfied with our accomplishments that we became complacent. Clemson fans and coaches have never stopped wishing for the next level, and we have never been fully satisfied. Our coaches and fan base are such that we will never stop striving for higher heights.

You repeat the "fat and happy" theme over and over again, but I really have no idea where you got this from? It appears that your buddy Kool-Aid has never been complacent, so please explain.

Fast forward to 2007, Clemson coming off a "big" win against a depleted(???) FSU

Simple question here - how was FSU "depleted"? They came into the game as fired up as they ever have been. Their defense was as tough as ever and they brought an unknown offense under the tutelage of a known solid coach Jimbo Fisher. You could see the intensity from both teams from the outset. FSU had all their players and we had all of ours. How were they "depleted"?

Has GT won against FSU since they came in the league?

Clemson follows that up with a stinker against VT.

The only thing that stank was giving up two special teams TDs. We also gave a tipped INT for a TD, and GIVING VT 21 points is something that no one wants to do against that defense. Nonetheless, we pushed back in a big way, and actually came back, missed a crucial TD as Spiller stepped out of the rear of the endzone, and we made a game of it before VT scored on a 50-yard drive late. A lot of teams would have quit after the way that game started. We didn't. We worked our a$$es off. That's not a "fat and happy".

I think all of you know "the rest of the story' (against BC). FAT and HAPPY Clemson was the culprit again, and there definitely seems to be a lack of finishing the drill

Uum, we led almost that entire game before ONE defensive breakdown gave BC the lead late. Even after that, we didn't quit, we moved the ball to midfield and called the perfect play to win the game. The play was executed perfectly and it (The ACC Title game) was right there for the taking. A very uncommon drop by our best receiver is what is actually the "rest of the story" against BC. It had NOTHING to do with being "fat and happy".

this offseason as magazines are boldly predicting ACC Championships and Top 5-10 finishes!

I believe I heard there were one or two pubs that picked us around 10, but 5-10? really? Who was that?

And then later, in your prognosis of our roster, you said our linebackers were... "MEAN!"?? I'm honestly not sure how far "mean" gets you, but in reality LB is one of our biggest issues on our roster right now. Just for kicks and giggles, did you even look at our players when you called them "mean"? Where did you come up with the word "mean", and how does that help from a talent perspective?

could this be the Clemson team that delivers an ACC Championship for the first time in 17 years? No. I'm sorry, but I just think that Clemson is too satisfied and stuck in this "close"/"Fat and Happy" mode to get over the hump.

Again with the bizarre "satisfied" and "fat and happy" comments. Again, where do get that? NOBODY in the Clemson camp is satisfied. No one is content with where we have been. Why don't you ask around a little bit? Post that question on our board, and see what answers you get back.

I have a feeling that Clemson will play with a "we deserve this" mentality for the 2008 season.

Yet again, BIZARRE. NOBODY thinks we deserve anything.

There just seems to be a disconnect with "getting it done" in blue-collar fashion at Clemson under Bowden. Subconsciously, most of the Clemson fanbase knows this and probably would admit it behind closed-quarters

I totally disagree and like "fat and happy" I think you'd find a vast disagreement if you actually asked around a little bit. Our team and coaches have never once altered from wanting to "get it done". for the last three years, we have missed the ACCCG by one game, and to say that one game was due to not wanting it is simply ludicrous.

I'm not sure how a person admit something stored in their "subconscious", but again, please ask around a little before making these types of silly comments. I doubt you will find any folks who will admit behind "closed quarters" or anywhere that they believe our team is "fat and happy" and content with where we've been.

there is a definitely a problem at the top. My belief is that the only time that Bowden really produces is when there is absolutely dire circumstances.

I don't see it that way. I think we have a very good staff in place, and to a man they all stand behind their leader. Rarely do you hear any of them speak without crediting Bowden for his leadership and work ethic.

A couple interesting points here too are - we have really only begun recruiting with the big dogs the last three years. Previous to that we were getting beat in recruiting by teams like Maryland and Georgia Tech. When we played those teams they actually had a better assortment of talent on the field, and that is just now starting to wash away.

Since 2000, Clemson and Bowden are ranked as the 22nd best program in America. In the last 3 years we are 25th in wins. In the 'since 2000' span, Clemson has passed GT who is now 25th and dropping. In the 'last 3 years' span (wins), GT is 37th and dropping.

Take a look at recruiting in the last 3 years,and then compare to the 3 years prior to that. Then look at the same for teams like GT and Maryland.

Clemson, entirely to Bowden's credit, is CLEARLY on the rise.

My advice to Clemson nation is make this the "put-up or shut-up" year.

Um, that is so cliche-ish it's not really worth addressing.

But, the majority of Clemson nation seems to be saying that "not even Tommy can screw this up."

I don't think Tommy can give up any tipped INTs or dropped game-winning passes, so to that point I agree. Furthermore, see my "on the rise" and assistant coaches admiration comments above. In other words, your blaming of Tommy does not add up.

To be honest, I think most of us know that GT made the tough choice that Clemson should have made last Winter.

This is the most ludicrous statement you made in your entire post. Number one, I don't think you'll find a "most of us" mentality. Just ask the question and you will see a vast majority supporting this staff.

Secondly, to suggest we should have fired a guy who is loved by his assistants and most players, who has us as the 22nd best program in America since 2000, who had us finish in the top 25 last year, and who has us growing in recruiting by leaps and bounds, is absolutely ludicrous.

See you in The Valley, where I personally think we will run up the score on you.

Good point about FSU..............

May 31, 2008, 11:31 AM

many of my friends are FSU fans. I can tell you that they were crowing about Jimbo Fisher and their new Oline coach as the next coming! I guess we all know how their O and Oline looked in that game.Heck, they beat BC. Depleted????

Good point about FSU..............

May 31, 2008, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Some decent points, but I almost entirely disagree.... ]

many of my friends are FSU fans. I can tell you that they were crowing about Jimbo Fisher and their new Oline coach as the next coming! I guess we all know how their O and Oline looked in that game.Heck, they beat BC. Depleted????

I think Johnson is a good coach, but......................

May 31, 2008, 11:25 AM

I want to see if his offense is going to attract the 4 and 5 star recruits? Also, the ACC will figure out his O after the first year and then what......IMHO!

Good move for Clemson by Ga Tech.......

May 31, 2008, 12:08 PM

.....I'd rather play against a Johnson coached team than one coached by Chan Gailey.

Didn't Tenuta leave Ga Tech also?

DC for ND now***

May 31, 2008, 12:22 PM

Great hire by Weiss, glad he's gone also!***********

May 31, 2008, 12:25 PM

Re: Is this THE year?

May 31, 2008, 1:31 PM

While I don't agree with everything you said, it was still a good thoughtful post. Point for you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1,375
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic