Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some of yall have lost sight of the spirit of the game...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,368

Some of yall have lost sight of the spirit of the game...

Feb 15, 2008, 6:46 PM

All this seating-speak regarding student in LJ has got me thinking.

First off let me set the table: I am a lifelong Clemson fan, and recent Clemson Grad. I also have been in IPTAY since they formed the Cub Club in 94. I also just got off the phone with IPTAY today to pledge $2100 for the year. My father, my aunt, my uncle are all Clemson Grads and long time IPTAY Donors, my brother is a current Clemson Student. My Grandparents never went to Clemson, never even knew about the school until my dad came here in 1977. Since then they have been right at the top of the IPTAY supporters list.

That being said...

The STUDENTS deserve a good portion of the best seats in the house.

I was ready to graduate college in December, I couldn't wait, yet everyone I talked to said: "you'll miss it so much, they are some of the best days of your life"

It's true. You'll never forget the times camping out for tickets, the long drives to get to NC State and back on a Thursday night. Taunting Coach K in LJ, dressing up in random outfits for basketball games. etc etc etc!

But for all the good times, we did it all for piddle. We camped out knowing very well we could end up top row. In fact, most student tickets for football were no where near the stadium. But we still went, and we still enjoyed it, and we still remember it today.

Not only did we get shafted with seating assignments, we had to pay tuition, go to class, and beg for mercy from professors living in their own world.

So when we would get out of tests late and head down to get in line, and often times we got discouraging to see such a long line and yet know there were very few good tickets available.

So students went home, watched it on tv, drank beer, etc.

So there's this stigma at Clemson, if you don't have a few days to sit in line, you didn't bother.

Call it apathy, call it what you want, but it happens.

NOW with that being said, Student experience correlates directly with IPTAY membership. Why would a student want to be in IPTAY if they were treated as 2nd class fans throughout college?

Some of you will say "no no no you have it all wrong". or "who cares, I give $xx,### a year".

But if you are a TRUE Clemson fan, you want Clemson to be strong for the future, you want Clemson to grow IPTAY membership, foster fanhood and create an atmosphere unmatched.

The #1 way to grow that base is through the Students. I'd guess 90% of IPTAY members are Alumni. Therefore think about your days at Clemson, think about the changes you would have made, and now that you are IPTAY donors, make it happen.

Because the Students of Today are the IPTAY donors of Tomorrow.

Plus, who else do you know is will to pay thousands of dollars a year, AND wait in line, AND sit in the crappy seats, AND still yell their butt off just to see the good guys in Orange pull one out?

We owe it to them, they are the lifeblood and the future.

Just my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

Point for being right.***

Feb 15, 2008, 7:06 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

I couldn't agree more! While I always want the best seats

Feb 15, 2008, 7:16 PM

and will donate as much as I can to get those (and no, I'm not talking about prime seats I'm not that big a donor, I don't make that much!), the one group of people that I will never have a problem getting ahead of me is the students. Students set the environment for the game. I want every game in every sport at Clemson to have a home field edge. Students set that tone. Even sitting higher up makes the game more enjoyable with the electricity in the house! I'm for anything that helps Clemson win, and the students are the biggest part of that! You're only in college on avg. for 4 years, you should be able to live it up!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. It would be much better.

Feb 15, 2008, 7:22 PM

I attend Charlotte and I have to give kudos to the Athletic Department or whoever is in charge because half of our arena (which is almost the same exact size of little john) is student seating. We have 1/2 of the lower bowl which is awesome and makes for an incredible atmosphere. We also have 1/2 of the upper deck.

Having the students around court side will improve our home record. I'm 100% sure of that.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. It would be much better.

Feb 15, 2008, 7:23 PM

I attend Charlotte and I have to give kudos to the Athletic Department or whoever is in charge because half of our arena (which is almost the same exact size of little john) is student seating. We have 1/2 of the lower bowl which is awesome and makes for an incredible atmosphere. We also have 1/2 of the upper deck.

Having the students around court side will improve Clemson's home record. I'm 100% sure of that.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Students deserve the better seats.***

Feb 15, 2008, 7:43 PM

When your Dad and I were freshman Civil Enigineering

Feb 15, 2008, 8:34 PM

students in 77-78, if you went early enough, even as a freshman, you could sit right behind the Clemson bench.

I was a basketball junkie in those days. I waited for hours so I could sit on the first or second row behind the Tigers every game I attended from 77-82 (five year plan). I was on the first row behind the team that night in Jan 1980 when the largest crowd LJ will ever have saw the Tigers beat then #1 Duke led by Mike Giminski. There to see Ralph Sampson from UVA, James Worthy, and Michael Jordan from UNC.

LJ rocked in those days. The students started at the first row behind the Tiger bench and went all the way to the roof. That is the way it should be today.

I can't argue with that at all.

Feb 15, 2008, 8:34 PM

When I was a student '68-'72 student section in DV started a the 50 (sections E-A and UE-UA) and went until every student had a ticket. In 1967 for the bammer game they ran out of tickets so the issued general admission tickets stamped student and set up chairs on the sidelines for them. When they built the South Upper deck they decided that the students didn't need all those prime seats. I think that does take away from thre indoctrination of the students to become lifelong fans.

I don't remember that much about LJ seating because seldom was there a real need for tickets. However Tates Locke did put bleachers on the floor and said if we wanted to sit there we had to make noise.

Students are what it is all about or at least should be and should always get fair treatment or better. It will pay off in the long run.

I agree....

Feb 15, 2008, 9:37 PM

I was one of those students from 2000-2004 that went to every basketball game and sat halfway up center court, thanks to IPTAY. Sadly enough, I was one of about 50 students that went, therefore, I wasn't upset at all to see the reseating...however, now its different. You can't blame the students for not supporting between 2000 and 2004, it was pure agony. The Students should have courtside seats.....

Re: Some of yall have lost sight of the spirit of the game...

Feb 15, 2008, 9:44 PM

"Not only did we get shafted with seating assignments, we had to pay tuition, go to class, and beg for mercy from professors living in their own world."

Aw, poor baby, him had it tough in college - first person this ever happened to. Bawaaaaah

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College is no joke

Feb 15, 2008, 10:17 PM

did you go?

Most of you.

Give me crap!!!

Feb 15, 2008, 10:49 PM

Where were the dang students last night, huge game coming off a disappointing loss I guess it was was V'day and that was the excuse but student turnout last night sucked.

Re: Give me crap!!!

Feb 15, 2008, 11:20 PM

Where was everybody else?!? You act like the students were the only ones with poor attendance. There were so many empty seats last night that everybody should be embarrassed, so don't blame this one squarely on the students.

Re: Some of yall have lost sight of the spirit of the game...

Feb 15, 2008, 10:58 PM

Wow, amazing how times have changed.
In my day we had lower level at LJ, I believe we called it "rebel rouser" seats.Watched us beat #1 Dook from there with almost 14000 of my best friends. In The Valley, lower section A.Of course at the time we were just building the first top deck. ###* I'm gettin old.

You nailed it. Give the big $$$ the best seats in the house

Feb 15, 2008, 11:11 PM

and put the students right next to them. It is an investment that will pay off for IPTAY 100 times over. When I was at Clemson it was freshmen and sophomores on the hill. Juniors, seniors, grad students and professors went clear out almost to the 40 yardline.

IT SHOULD BE THAT WAY AGAIN. NO STUDENT SHOULD SIT IN THE CORNER OF THE UPPER DECK!!!!

My father went to Clemson. My mother went to Clemson. They met at Clemson. My cousins (6 of them) went to Clemson. My wife went to Clemson. We met at Clemson. Her sister and my brother-in-law went to Clemson. My wife's cousins went to Clemson. Both my grandfathers and all my great uncles (except one) went to Clemson. My grandfather was a charter IPTAY member from the 1930's. My great grandfather went to Clemson. My blood runs as orange as anyone. I donate to IPTAY every year. I buy two season tickets. My family buys 6.

Tomorrow's IPTAY donors are sitting in the corner of the upper deck and that is not right. IPTAY is making several big mistakes, and this is the biggest one IMO. I sit across from what used to be the student section and I've noticed a drop off in noise over the past few years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From a Clemson fan in Nebraska

Feb 15, 2008, 11:31 PM

My son is a junior at Nebraska in lincoln.
Freshman are not even guaranteed a seat for the football games. There is a lottery, if you are willing to pay 500 to maybe get a chance, 'athletic seat fee', or something like that. You are guaranteed seats for Cornhole basketball, duh, place is empty, but not for football games. He is a Clemson fan, never paid the 500, never been to any UNL event since he has been a student. Thinks it is a joke. I took him to a few games when he was around 12 to 15.

The students are the future, do not distance them from the program. In Nebraska, not really a problem though, people that have never seen a classroom will fill the stadium, kinda sad.

I have no problem with givng students good seats

Feb 16, 2008, 12:22 AM

None at all.

That said:
"Not only did we get shafted with seating assignments, we had to pay tuition, go to class, and beg for mercy from professors living in their own world."

This sounds like pure whining. You chose to go to Clemson to get an education, that is what your tuition goes to. Going to class and dealing with professors is simply part of *getting* to go to Clemson (or any other school.

Like I said, I think students should be given better seats then they are currently (especially for basketball, where the weeknight games cause the atmosphere students lend to the game to be much more noticeable). The system should tie in attendance to more games to getting good tickets. Tie a ticket to a single ID card. Have to have both to get in, and keep track of who shows up for a Wednesday game against Charleston Southern to who gets great seats to UNC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no problem with givng students good seats

Feb 16, 2008, 1:11 AM

The student ticket line policy needs changing...I went to the GT game the other night, showed up two hours before the game and thought I might get on the floor (usually I would have shown up earlier). Things looked pretty good until about 15 minutes before the game when about 10 different people cut me and my buddy in line to go stand with friends. There were even people cutting us as the line moved towards the door. That's just not fair to the people who have put in their time in line.
Another thing I don't get is the way they hand out tickets once the floor seats are gone...they fill up the upper part of the student section or just one side at a time instead of giving the best seats to the people who have been waiting longest...what's with that? The truth is that if we want to be a "basketball school" some things need to change when it comes to student tickets...

That happens for any sporting event

Feb 16, 2008, 1:23 AM

I camped out for a day and a half for Carolina tickets back in 2003 and was in line with some friends for lower deck tickets (I forget how many they had, but I recall at the time we were close enough that we would have gotten some). At about 6:30 AM that morning (distribution started at 7 if memory serves right) about half a fraternity (50ish people) showed up and joined in line with the two people who had been there. Each with 2 IDs, of course, made those lower deck tickets disappear.

With that said, I still went to Columbia, sat way the crap up in the nosebleeds (I could see just about everything from where I was except player numbers) and had a great time. However, I agree that there needs to be some sort of major regulation on line policing.

Good point.

Feb 16, 2008, 1:34 AM

I understand the big IPTAY donors wanting the best seats. But if they showed up and cheered as they should, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,368
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic