Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Harper
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Harper

Jan 12, 2008, 2:45 PM

Harper: Shoulder wasn't 100 percent

By Larry Williams
The Post and Courier
Saturday, January 12, 2008
CLEMSON ? Cullen Harper isn't fond of excuses, and he says that's why he took the blame in the immediate aftermath of Clemson's overtime defeat to Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
But as Harper reflects on what was statistically the worst effort of his first year as the Tigers' starting quarterback, he makes an admission he was determined not to make on New Year's Eve.
His throwing shoulder ? the same one that underwent surgery just a month earlier, and the same one he initially said was fine during the bowl game ? was not right.
"I was just a little bit off because of my shoulder," Harper said Friday. "When I look back on it, there was no way I was going to be 100 percent after having surgery in that quick of a turnaround."
Harper, a redshirt junior who led Clemson to a 9-4 record, is able to look back on 2007 with satisfaction.
After coaches deemed him unfit to challenge a reeling Will Proctor late in 2006, he beat out fan favorite Willy Korn during spring practice and fall camp.
Harper set 22 school records, including passing touchdowns in a season (27). He threw for 2,991 yards and completed 65.1 percent of his passes, the second-best in school history on both counts. He was named second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference behind Boston College's Matt Ryan.
And on Friday, Harper learned he'll receive the Banks McFadden Award, which is given annually to the top college football player in the state of South Carolina.
Harper is proud of all those accolades, but he wishes the season would have ended differently in his hometown of Atlanta. He thinks a healthy shoulder would have been able to deliver Clemson its first 10-win season since 1990.
Harper completed 14 of 33 passes for 104 yards. His teammates on offense made their share of mistakes in the form of dropped passes, missed assignments and late-game breakdowns by the offensive line.
But Harper missed some throws he believes he otherwise would have made, including an overthrow of Aaron Kelly on a deep ball late in the first half with Clemson up 7-3.
"I never felt like I was really warm," he said. "I felt like each time I went out there, every pass was my first pass."
Harper's shoulder absorbed a crushing blow when he was pounded into the turf while scoring a late touchdown in a home loss to Boston College on Nov. 17. The team's medical staff told him it was merely a bruise, but Harper said it felt like something much worse a week later at South Carolina.
"I knew there was much more to it than that," he said. "In the South Carolina game, I just felt like every time I threw that my shoulder was basically dislocating. So that was a tough game to get through."
Harper persevered, leading the Tigers on a 61-yard drive in the final 2:09 to set up the game- winning field goal by Mark Buchholz. He underwent surgery two days later to address a slight tear in his labrum, plus tendinitis in his rotator cuff.
He began throwing a week later in preparation for a bowl game he wishes he could have back ? with a healthy shoulder, of course.
"I didn't really know what I was getting into," he said. "I thought I'd have a quick, minor surgery and recover in two weeks. But the recovery time is really longer than I expected. The bottom line was, it wasn't enough time for me to be completely recovered by the bowl game. I fooled myself saying it would be a quick recovery and that I'd be out there throwing in no time at 100 percent."
Grades
Clemson athletic officials said the football team had its highest in-season GPA last semester, according to The Associated Press.
The Tigers had a grade-point average of 2.53 for the fall 2007 semester. It's the third-best semester overall for the program.
Starting cornerback Chris Chancellor made the dean's list. Making the honor roll were cornerback Crezdon Butler, starting punter Jimmy Maners and backup quarterback Korn.
Hamlin's injury
Clemson safety Michael Hamlin received good news Friday when it was determined that he does not have a torn ligament in a knee he injured against Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
Hamlin's injury is a sprain and he should be ready for the beginning of spring practice in March.
Reach Larry Williams at lwilliams@postandcourier.com.

Copyright © 1997 - 2007 the Evening Post Publishing Co.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1 Shoulder away.

Jan 12, 2008, 3:21 PM

sorry, couldn't resist.

Bowden has taught him well***

Jan 12, 2008, 3:24 PM

Obviously not, if he waits over a week to come out with this***

Jan 12, 2008, 3:45 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, but I don't see criticizing Cullen for this.***

Jan 12, 2008, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Bowden has taught him well*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a grown man pick on me not our player! Classless!***

Jan 12, 2008, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Bowden has taught him well*** ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems oddly familiar. GT 2005***

Jan 12, 2008, 3:31 PM

If at any time in the future we are in a similar situation

Jan 12, 2008, 4:16 PM

where the starting QB is struggling, I pray to the good Lord above that we have a 2nd string QB that is capable of stepping in and the coaches have enough sense to let him.

It seems this very situation has cost us a few games over the last several years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Preparing the 2nd team QB

Jan 12, 2008, 4:30 PM

and having the courage and wisdom to play him has been a glaring weakness of Bowden/Spence. Why should we expect that to change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhh, Whitehurst took over for a struggling Willie Simmons.***

Jan 12, 2008, 4:34 PM

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

That's right, but since then...

Jan 12, 2008, 5:20 PM

Our backup QB situation has gone down the tubes. In 2006 when Proctor was struggling, the coaches obviously didn't have the confidence in Cullen to put him in. In 2007, with Korn redshirting, it was the same thing with Reese.

I think that, behind improving our OL play, the next most important thing we must do is make dang sure that we have AT LEAST 2 QB's that can run the offense at any time in the game. With Harper and Korn next year, we should be ok. Beyond that, we better get Parker (or whoever) ready to play in a hurry so that we don't pay the same price we've paid when Whitehurst and Harper have been hurt.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic