Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I care about Clemson Football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Why I care about Clemson Football

Oct 16, 2007, 6:28 PM

I remember that first crisp fall day. My first Clemson Football game, November 1973. Having moved away from South Carolina, it was rare when my dad, a Clemson Graduate, got to return and see a game. This, my first game, came about 2 days after we buried my Grandfather. Everyone was sad, and we all were grieving terribly. But dad, in his wisdom, got his 9 year old son out of the house, and to a place he called Death Valley. On one end, the east end, was a HUGE grass hill that ran from sideline to sideline. The North and South Sides only had one deck, and the place was about 2/3 full on this day. The opponent, if my memory serves me right, was NC State. But I didn't care. Here I was with Dad, at a game, sharing a common joy, and a joy that I still carry with me today. A joy that, some 34 years later is still etched in my mind clearly.

Two years later, we moved to Greenville, and dad and I started going to home games. I believe the only game we missed in 1975 was against some former girl's school, a Florida State or something. They had a new coach. Glad I missed that game actually, as the former girls school put a whoopin on my now beloved Tigers.

I remember finding a place to park back behind Hardee's and running, joyfully, regardless of the outcome, back to the car after the games to, as dad would say " Beat the traffic". Funny how I remember that kind of thing so much more than special dinners, birthday's etc. I remember running through clemson with dad. We might have run over you if you were there.

The IPTAY membership increased, the seats got better, and eventually the parking spot got better too, as we no longer had to scrounge for a spot behind hardees.

Through the years and into my early 20's dad and I were faithful followers of our dear tigers. Eventually, mom and my sister got into the act as well. And although we were all together, it was still a special time to be with my dad.

1981 brought a memory that can never, ever be taken away. One that showed that a little "Cow" school in "wherever, they are, I think it's Texas" could rise up and reach the pinnacle of sport. I remember the joy, unbridled, and unabbreviated joy, over the accomplishments of those 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 year old kids. Unbridled joy.

You see, Clemson Football is about so much more than football. It's about friends, and family, and remembering the great times that occur, the best of which are spontaneous and totally unexpected.

We have had many coaches inspire those boys to run down the hill. We've had colorful charecters, Peanut Martin, William Perry, and my personal favorite Vandel Arrington, wear the orange, white, and.. blech, purple.

What do they have in common with today's team? They all run down that same hill, albeit encroached upon by the north and south stands. They all see a sea of orange as the "Song that shakes the Southland" Blares out anew, the call to fight, and they all represent the university that we love so much.

I recall a visit with my oldest boy to see my ailing father in the hospital in November 2002. It was the day that Clemson played Maryland. From his hospital bed, dad handed me two tickets to that night's game. It rained, rained and rained some more, and we lost. But you know, that night, a dad and his 9 year old ran through the parking lot to get to the car to " beat the traffic". And we laughed and we giggled, and we remembered. Winning didnt seem that important.

3 weeks later, my father fell asleep for the last time. Thanks, dad, and thank you, Clemson, for the memories. If I never have another, i"ve had enough.

And thats why I care about Clemson Football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE HOTTIES!***

Oct 16, 2007, 6:29 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The tool is a powerful brain.

Re: THE HOTTIES!***

Oct 16, 2007, 9:37 PM

You almost ruined it

That was awesome!***

Oct 16, 2007, 6:41 PM

Re: That was awesome!***

Oct 18, 2007, 6:57 PM

Thank you for the compliment. I sat in bed on a business trip and bawled my eyes out while I was writing that. And then, I exhaled a huge breath I didnt even realize I had been holding for many many years.

one of the best stories I have ever heard!!!!!!!!!***

Oct 16, 2007, 6:45 PM

Re: one of the best stories I have ever heard!!!!!!!!!***

Oct 18, 2007, 7:00 PM

Thank you. I am humbled by yours and other responses to what I felt was a simple little story. I am glad to have been able to share

^^^^^^^^HOF right there folks!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^***

Oct 16, 2007, 6:50 PM

Re: ^^^^^^^^HOF right there folks!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^***

Oct 18, 2007, 7:00 PM

Thank you!

sadly, most of the immature punks on this-a-here bored

Oct 16, 2007, 6:51 PM

and all of their entitlements won't ever realize the joy that you have had and will undoubtedly #### and moan the years away

Re: sadly, most of the immature punks on this-a-here bored

Oct 18, 2007, 7:01 PM

Unfortunately, I am resigned to that fact that we live in a world where the mamby pambies, mostly under 30, think that the world owes them something. Times have changed drastically over the last 20 years.

Awesome post***

Oct 16, 2007, 6:55 PM

Re: Awesome post***

Oct 18, 2007, 7:01 PM

THank you!

Good post. Thanks for sharing.***

Oct 16, 2007, 6:59 PM

Re: Good post. Thanks for sharing.***

Oct 18, 2007, 7:02 PM

Your Welcome. This has been one of the nicest surprises I have had in a while. I appreciate your appreciation!

Great post******

Oct 16, 2007, 7:02 PM

Re: Great post******

Thank you!

Big Thumbs up***

Oct 16, 2007, 7:09 PM

Re: Big Thumbs up***

Thank you!

A HOF vote for your post, sir-thanks***

Oct 16, 2007, 7:09 PM

Re: A HOF vote for your post, sir-thanks***

Oct 18, 2007, 7:03 PM

You are most welcome. Say, you don't work in the automotive industry do you?

Awesome post! I have to listen via computer now,

Oct 16, 2007, 7:15 PM

but close my eyes and see the sea of orange, the balloons rise from the stadium, remember singing the National Anthem, the choir singing "Oh Beautiful for Spacious Skies.." and waving my hand during "...oer' the mountains high..."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome post! I have to listen via computer now,

Oct 18, 2007, 7:04 PM

Do you wave from wherever you are? I do the same when I listen on the net or watch on TV...

WOW.....that was excellent.....

Oct 16, 2007, 7:34 PM

I believe I was at that Maryland game in the rain because I left early because my wife was not liking the rain. I'm pretty sure we lost that one....I might be wrong....but honestly, couldn't have written it better. My blood is orange no matter who the coach is, our record, or how the Gamecocks are doing....I want a winning team....but my blood will always be orange!

GO TIGERS!

I bow to you

Oct 16, 2007, 7:36 PM

We all could use insightful post such as yours more often,
thank you!!

Man, my eyes are welling up - thanks for sharing***

Oct 16, 2007, 7:47 PM

Thank you, sir.***

Oct 16, 2007, 8:04 PM

2008_pickem_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to admit....THAT is perspective***

Oct 16, 2007, 8:05 PM

I have to admit...THAT is perspective***

Oct 16, 2007, 8:07 PM

Re: Why I care about Clemson Football

Oct 16, 2007, 8:16 PM

Both my parents went to Clemson. We started going to the games together as a family when we moved back to the Upstate in 1978. We continued going as a family after we moved to Columbia in 1984.

My sisters and I all went to Clemson. I think it was largely because we had fond memories of the entire experience of coming to the games. The wins faded, the losses only stung for a little while, but the love of Clemson always remained.

This was made all the more real to me last Saturday. We were driving to the fair and cut through the USC Campus on Blossom Street. I let my kids know that we were going through the campus. My eight year old blurted out "Who would want to go to school here."

My Wife and I now travel out from Columbia to the home games with our kids. At age five and eight, they are still not really sure what is going on during the game sometimes. My daughter got mad because I called Tommy the "s word" at the last game....Stupid. To them the experience is what is fun. The team getting on the bus and then running down the hill. Watching the military and homecoming displays on Bowman. Cadence count, yelling loudly when we are on defense, and the jump up dance at kickoff. They like to hear the cannon because they know that we did something good.

All Clemson fans want to see the team succeed. I would like to see Tommy right the ship and finish strong. If he does not, I expect that Clemson will make a change. A change will not be made because people on Tigernet do not like the bubble screen. It will be changed because the Clemson Football Experience produces strong customer loyalty. At the end of the day, Clemson has a brand to manage. It is a brand that produces an extremely high level of customer loyalty. I expect that James Barker and Terry Don Phillips recognize that.

Go Tigers

Thank you so much for sharing.***

Oct 16, 2007, 8:40 PM

One of the greatest posts I have ever read.

Oct 16, 2007, 9:27 PM

Any fan of any school in the country can relate to that. Thanks for sharing that.

Wow...Yep HOF Post right there. Thank you for sharing!***

Oct 16, 2007, 9:40 PM

One of the best in my 3 years on here- thanks!***

Oct 16, 2007, 9:51 PM

Point #94, thanks for sharing.***

Oct 16, 2007, 10:10 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you.***

Oct 17, 2007, 7:24 AM

Oct 17, 2007, 8:09 AM

I love hearing other people's memories of Clemson. Yours is awesome and thank you for sharing. Go Tigers!

HOF all the way! Thanx for the memories :--)***

Oct 17, 2007, 8:18 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great story. Not that it matters, but here's the home sched

Oct 17, 2007, 8:30 AM

From 1973...

W 09-08-1973 14 Citadel (SC) 12
L 10-06-1973 15 Texas A&M 30
W 10-13-1973 32 Virginia 27
L 10-27-1973 6 North Carolina St. 29
W 11-03-1973 35 Wake Forest (NC) 8
L 11-17-1973 13 Maryland 28

null

Re: Great story. Not that it matters, but here's the home sched

Oct 18, 2007, 6:56 PM

Thanks.

After I wrote that I thought it rather callous for Dad to be taking me to a game two days after my grandfather was buried. I talked to mom about this, and it appears that I went to the game the week before he died. The memories of a child are not perfect.

Oct 17, 2007, 11:17 AM

This was a great post. Other fans just don't get what it is all about. Clemson is a family university and when you go to the games, what you see are families together, which in this day and age you don't always see. My kids have been going to the games since they were little, my oldest now 26 started going around age 5, my son who is 18 went to his first Clemson game at 3 months old, it was a spring game, and my youngest who is 16 went at the tender age of 4 weeks. We are lucky in our family that my inlaws and an uncle go as well. Nothing like being with family at a Clemson football game.

I'm wiping away the tears! What a touching story! Thanks!***

Oct 18, 2007, 7:07 PM

'Nuff said!

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic