Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LB: Thoughts on Rogers and Williams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

LB: Thoughts on Rogers and Williams

Aug 15, 2015, 5:08 PM

What a strange week for our LB's. I honestly thought this season we would see Korie Rogers emerge as a star. I remember our recruitment of him, the excitement of him signing, and the early returns. He seemed destined to be a star. Pro type size and ability. But that was not meant to be. For reasons we will almost certainly never know, he has given up football, and his loss has created a temporary hole in our LB core.
Then there is Jalen Williams. I remember a couple years ago reading the reports from Swinney's HS camp about this kid who reportedly was out playing the big names (including Rogers and an even more highly touted kid we lost to Ohio State). I remember looking up his HS film and upon watching it thinking, "Good Lord... how much more impressive does your film have to be gain a 4-star or better ranking and national acclaim in the scouting world?" His film looked as impressive as that of Ben Boulware, or pretty much any other HS LB's film I have seen. We only offered a gray shirt, and I was sure someone would extend him an offer. Much to my surprise and delight, no one big offered and we landed this young man essentially for free. And it looks as if it is this young man, Jalen Williams, the undersized, undervalued kid, who is set to step into future stardom, at least at Clemson until he is again degraded because he isn't 6'3" when the NFL is in his crosshairs a few years from now. Yes, he still has a lot to prove on the field at Clemson, but barring injury Williams seems bound to be a standout here.
And so goes the recruiting game for us... you win some, you lose some. A national top 100 player inexplicably gives up the sport in the eleventh hour, just before he would get to run down the hill and step out on the turf of Death Valley. And an undersized, unheralded kid with the heart of a lion is taking advantage of every cracked door by kicking it open and running through with steely determination, focus, and blue collar effort which is going to allow him to make the most of all that talent God packed in his 5'10" solid frame.
Go gettem' Jalen!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post..

Aug 15, 2015, 5:12 PM

I didn't put it into words, but you summed it all up for me. That's exactly how I feel. Good stuff!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven't heard Rogers name all year. But Jalen was always being mentioned by Venables.***

Aug 15, 2015, 5:16 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Haven't heard Rogers name all year. But Jalen was always being mentioned by Venables.***

Aug 15, 2015, 5:20 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. Good reports on Rogers last year, some recognition in the spring, and not a peep this summer or in camp. The looming decision has probably been eating at him for a while now. Tough to push through practices when your heart's not in it. Hope he excels in life. Seems like a good kid. Football doesn't last forever and even the greatest need to be prepared to use their brains longer than their bodies, but I was really looking forward to seeing this kid play at Clemson.

You think Register moves back to LB now?

Aug 15, 2015, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Haven't heard Rogers name all year. But Jalen was always being mentioned by Venables.*** ]

nm

Re: You think Register moves back to LB now?

Aug 15, 2015, 5:23 PM

Could very well happen since Ferrell, Yeargin, and Bryant all seem to be hits, but if we land Rashaun Smith Register may still project better at DE. Tough call there.

Re: You think Register moves back to LB now?

Aug 15, 2015, 5:26 PM [ in reply to You think Register moves back to LB now? ]

Doubt it. He out grew the position

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Yeah, thats true.

Aug 15, 2015, 5:29 PM

But h#ll, we're in a tough spot now. Better him than the Davis's.

Aiken is bigger though, right? Plus Register is just a few

Aug 16, 2015, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: You think Register moves back to LB now? ]

pounds heavier than Boulware and Goodson. Not suggesting he should be the one to move but he could if someone else goes down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone remember what Jalen weighed?***

Aug 16, 2015, 11:00 AM

Re: Anyone remember what Jalen weighed?***

Aug 16, 2015, 11:08 AM

I think he was 230

Re: Anyone remember what Jalen weighed?***

Aug 16, 2015, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Anyone remember what Jalen weighed?*** ]

Jalen was at 224.
Register was at 248.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/The-Big-Weigh-In-The-numbers-13926

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

aiken's not listed, but bv mentioned earlier in the week

Aug 16, 2015, 11:36 AM

martin was 228[7:40ish mark].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GTsKZsJE7c

also the vid where coach mentions dane was probably best suited inside, then got moved back to de a couple days later... staff must be pleased with the dts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should.***

Aug 16, 2015, 10:27 AM [ in reply to You think Register moves back to LB now? ]

Re: LB: Thoughts on Rogers and Williams

Aug 15, 2015, 10:24 PM

He could end up changing his mind. Young people do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

That is my hope also. Last year couldn't wait to see

Aug 15, 2015, 10:35 PM

Watson in action and Rogers was the one I was looking forward to seeing this year. ALL the talent in the world and hope the fire ignites for Korie to return. Wish Korie best of luck in the future.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is my hope also. Last year couldn't wait to see

Aug 15, 2015, 11:40 PM

What's that saying??... Absence makes the heart grow fonder:) I hope you guys are right, but I doubt Dabo didn't hit that angle. Dabo seemed pretty bewildered about the whole situation. But, yes, it would be great if he would have a change of heart and come back driven.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic